Buena Vista Pictures | Release Date: April 14, 2000
8.6
Universal acclaim based on 82 Ratings
Watch Now
kcunningApr 1, 2011
This is an underrated romantic comedy with a warm and complex theme of friendship, love, betrayal & redemption. What a great debut as director by Edward Norton. I'd love to see him direct more films as charming & warm-hearted, & funny asThis is an underrated romantic comedy with a warm and complex theme of friendship, love, betrayal & redemption. What a great debut as director by Edward Norton. I'd love to see him direct more films as charming & warm-hearted, & funny as this one. This was such a delightful film. Stiller is at his most charming & sexy as a rabbi who falls in love a non-Jew yet doesn't want to hurt his mother(a poignant & funny turn by Anne Bancroft) nor endanger his job as a young rabbi. Stiller & Norton as his lifelong friend, a priest, both fall for their childhood friend, played by a charming, & complex Jenna Elfman. This was her role of a lifetime & it deserved much more positive recognition.
Norton gave Stiller a great role. His rabbi has many social & family obligations, but he & Norton's priest have a lifetime of friendship, & competition, & their relationship is completely believable. Elfman's blond, high-powered businesswomen returns to their life from their long-ago childhood friendship & turns both of their worlds upside-down. Anne Bancroft's Jewish mother, who has damaged her relationship with her eldest son because of her refusal to accept his Christian wife, now realizes her mistake. Bancroft gives her last, great performance which is funny & nuanced. When she & Elfman weep about the love & pain that Elfman & Stiller's relationship has caused & the difficulties they may encounter, you believe these strong women love & respect each other & will help themselves & the man they both love to move through their problems toward a new family. I must also point out the great soundtrack, with Tom Waits, & other wonderful singers, and note that Elmer Bernstein composed the lyrical & haunting movie's theme.
RadioJoNESOct 11, 2012
God damn this movie sucks. Holy **** **** Ben Still's acting in usual is pretty damn terrible. But now he's a rabbi, A **** RABBI. **** I AM PISSED OFF

Plot, is **** terrible, oh look at us two religions crashing harder than my **** balls on asian school girls tuesday.

My **** mom made me see this movie because she's a muslim and my step dad is a jew from a christian family. That is already the most convoluted bull****
ovi_bzJan 8, 2011
A nice comedy. Nothing much to expect. A simple story. Good actors. Funny and original comic situations where Ben plays very well.