7.2

1. Aug 17, 2013
    Probably the year's second worst film other than GI Joe. The movie is filled with a stupid plot and even stupider dialogue, with every line trying to be a cheesy one liner. Cliche action scenes that are thrown in for no reason whatsoever make this a great movie for geeks with low attention spans. Obviously the audience will like this movie, as the audience never has any idea what the hell they are talking about. They want a movie that has no regard for realism, a movie where they can shut there brains off and zone out like a drunk 5 year old, and don't care about any sort of consistency. Bottom line, do yourself a favor and do not see this movie, and if you do see it, don't even trick yourself into liking it. You risk insulting your intelligence. Expand
  2. Aug 20, 2013
    Worst, non-superhero EVER!!! Movie about annoying teenagers doing bad,bad tricks, and trying to act like adults, the girls is pretty hot tought (I´m 15 lol), still it´s dreadful movie
  3. Aug 20, 2013
    Kick Ass 2 is riddled with problems. The core of these problems is director Jeff Wadlow, who clearly does not know how to shoot an action sequence. All the action in this movie looks bad and is filmed with shaky cam, compared to the smooth originals of the first. Overall just an utter disappointment.
  4. Aug 18, 2013
    Do you think it's funny if a guy is a silly costume who is about to start a gang rape of a woman can't get his dick hard, so they just beat the living out of her instead? Then you might enjoy this movie. The director doesn't have what it takes to put the violence into proper context or to deliver it with a point. No, this is like a 13-year-old who has just discovered swear words and is now telling people on Xbox Live how he will rape them for headshotting him in Call of Duty. Expand
  5. Aug 18, 2013
    Most movie goers are leery of sequels, and with good reason. Hollywood tries to take the easy route when a movie becomes a hit especially these comic book hero types, and while it attempts to recreate the freshness and wit of the original, Kick Ass 2 just doesn't get it done.
    The film's strong suit is Chloe Moretz, the adorable actress who plays Mindy McCready aka Hit Girl.
    There are a few scenes of more normal teen age behavior where she can pull at your heart strings, especially at the hands of a particulary vicious popular girl.
    I predict good things for Moretz in the future. The rest however is a mixed bag that has a very irritating super villain who calls himself which is more pointless than offensive. His lisp, whether intentional or not is very annoying.
    Jim Carrey has a relatively small role as a former mob hit man who finds Jesus and trains the good guy bunch led by Kick Ass. Even his presence is downplayed, and he doesn't have a huge role.
    While I didn't miss the message of superheroes being just regular brave folk doing what's right, Kick Ass falls on its ass due to cliche after cliche and gratuitous violence meant to give it an edge, but in this case is used to try to give the film some extra oomph if you will. Sorry. This is another clunker in a summer season full of unusually disappointing movies.
  6. Aug 22, 2013
    Kick-Ass 2...Sucked Ass. Kick-Ass 2 has a whole new creative team from the first film! And you can tell...The film tries to emulate what made the first movie so good but fails in almost every aspect. I can't say that I down right hate the movie. Of course there many things about the movie that I liked but a lot more that I hated. The thing that bothered me the most was the whole "mean girls" story arch with Hit-Girl, it just didn't work and didn't fit in. It's almost like the creative team glanced at the first movie and said that was Kick-Ass. From what I saw they just don't understand what made the first movie so good. But I will be optimistic and hope that they boot Jeff Wadlow from the directors chair and get somebody who can actually make a movie for Kick-Ass 3. Jeff Wadlow is a hack-fraud... Expand
  7. Aug 18, 2013
    It's a waste of time for making this sequel way too far. Kick-Ass only deserves a good superhero movie with the good purpose is that the protagonist must face his issues of being a superhero. In this bad purpose of Kick-Ass 2, the protagonist is coming back as a bad superhero with bad attitude, no heart, still fighting with bad guys, acting a like sick jerk, cheating with your true love, and being selfish. It must be so hard that the creators didn't know how they didn't make a strong point of what purpose did Kick-Ass ended. Do they forgotten? Expand
  8. Sep 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love Kick-Ass it was vulgar, violent, and original with a good director in Matthew Vaughn. Unfortunately this is a bad sequel that is terribly paced with to much shaky cam and some really awful scenes involving vomit and the potential raping of a woman. A big disappointment. D+ Expand
  9. Sep 28, 2013
    I absolutely loved the first Kick-Ass, but this sequel fell so flat for me. The wonderful color grading, style, and edgy material are gone this time around, and replaced with bad pacing, a horrible script, and over the top acting. I'm not saying the first one had Academy award winning performances or anything like that, but it seemed so more cliche and superhero like this time around, and I wasn't really feeling it. Jim Carry shines every time he is on the screen, and makes an amazing follow up to Nicolas Cages best performance in decades, but he probably only has 30 minutes of screen-time total. Which is a shame. And while I love Chloe Grace in almost everything she has been in, this was her weakest performance, partly due to the horrible sub plot with a bunch of air-head blonde cheerleaders. To be honest, I don't want to see this ever again. Expand
  10. Sep 17, 2013
    I was disappointed in this movie. Maybe I had it coming, I let down my guard and thought that this might be one of the rare instances a sequel does a film good. This film shouldn't be called Kick-Ass 2, it should be called Hit Girl. The entire movie revolves around her and maybe that's not such a bad thing.

I'll admit the movie was entertaining, but the first film was more than that. In
    a weird, satirical way, it was inspiring. This movie lacked that because the main theme was overacting and over-editing. It missed the genius realism that Kick Ass held and instead gave us characters that felt cartoonish, unrealistic, and overpowered. The scene that got to me most was that of Hit Girl fighting Mother Russia, it just reminded me over and over of Kung Fu Hustle, which was a great film, but it was BUILT to be funny violence. So watch it if you can get it on DVD, or free... But it's not worth paying for. Expand
  11. Aug 18, 2013
    One of the worst sequels of the past decade.Absolutely atrocious. Jeff Wadlow doesn't do anything even half as well as Matthew Vaughn. Anyone who actually enjoyed this "film" doesn't know anything about quality cinema.
  12. Aug 27, 2013
    The attack of the hollywood sequel strikes again. Not sure if it was blind luck the first time around but I have watched the original a dozen times. One of my favorite movies. Kick Ass 2 is an absolute failure from beginning to end. How they could sully the spirit of the first film with such a pathetic follow up is beyond me. The person who wrote this movie should never get work again. Not sure what all these glowing reviews are about. Starting to wonder if these are paid shill reviews. Noone could have possibly liked the movie that much. Expand
  13. Aug 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Kick-Ass 2 might be worth the 9 bucks to see. It's an occasionally enjoyable ~2 hours. This being said, it falls so flat as anything other than a slightly more "adult" run-of-the-mill superhero film. I know that comparing a movie to written source material is unfair, but what is lost in the transition from comic to screen is astounding. Gone is the gruesome, horrifying critic of superhero worship and the glorification of violence. This movie, rather, is a checklist of hero movie cliches, poorly filmed action sequences "bad-ass" one liners, and the complete lack of emotional depth from any source save perhaps Chloe Moretz's performance as Hit Girl/Mindy. What little lethality is on display is completely lost in the final scene, wherein a clash between two masked armies in a warehouse comes off more as a West Side Story dance fight than the logical conclusion of 90 minutes of gunfights, stabbings, and brutal beatings.

I digress, though. The worst part of this movie is not that it's generic. The worst part of this movie is the absolute ham handed way that the more adult themes are handled. Violence is made to be applauded and glorified while being so cartoon-ish that it's almost distracting. Women characters, with the notable exception of Hit-Girl, are used as romantic props and tiresome cliches rather than characters of actual depth. The home invasion, attempted rape, and subsequent beating of one female character is played for comedic effect.

Kick-Ass was meant to be a heart-wrenching commentary on the sacrifice of heroism, the cold reality of violence, and the immaturity of superhero worship. It's also a story of good triumphing over evil, despite all. Somewhere along in production, the former was lost in favor of bolstering the latter. Whether it was a conscious decision on the part of those who funded the movie or a failure on the part of those who created it, I'm not sure, but you, the audience, have been robbed.
  14. Jan 5, 2014
    La primera entrega de Kick-Ass fue muy entretenida, uno de esos proyectos que se quedan contigo y te sientes identificado por su alta gama de personajes cómicos y además es muy divertida. A todas esas personas que han sentido lo mismo que yo les digo: Ni se les ocurra ver esta segunda parte porque quedarán muy decepcionados. Está bien; lo grotesco, la violencia intensa, los personajes graciosos, los diálogos que daban risa, directamente, todo a la basura, ésta vez Kick-Ass no pudo justificar su contenido, estoy consiente que, ni siquiera Hit Girl podría salvar esta película de su atroz destino. Una decepción Expand
  15. Sep 2, 2013
    Half-ass 2 should be the name of this horrible sequel. A huge fan of Kick-Ass I went in with the lowest expectations possible off the crappy trailer. The only thing worth seeing this for is Jim Carey. His very limited screen time was the only thing that kept my interest. Steer clear of this one.
  16. Jan 3, 2014
    Tanta expectativa em volta desse filme que fiquei decepcionado com o resultado, o primeiro foi interessante esse aqui uma humilhação para obra original.
  17. Apr 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first one was awesome and funny while still acting seriously, it was really unique in terms of its premise, script and soundtrack and the fact that some of the stuff managed to shock so many people, it had great acting and really awesome action scenes, even if it had a low budget it rarely showed it. You go from that to Kick Ass 2 where it borrows from everything other movie, there is not as much gore, the acting of almost everyone was laughable - talking to you Christopher Mintz Plasse, the soundtrack was pretty lame compared to the first movie, the action sequences were average at best (mostly just boring full shots of everyone with a lot of camera shake added for "intensity"), the fact that the writing is so stupid and all over the place, any new characters added seemed to turn into stereotypes (Brooke and co' turn into the typical Queen Bees to the point of ridiculousness), and the characters from the first movie get completely changed (for the worst) Dave goes from a typical comic book nerd to a knobjock douchebag, Mindy has completely softened in terms of viciousness (say goodbye to the sadistic little girl from the 1st movie), Katie, the really nice supporting girlfriend suddenly does a face heel turn and turns into a psychotic **** and Todd (who was recast) goes from the quiet kind of dumb guy to an extremely stupid, perverted creep. And I would like to add that with the exact same budget of the first movie, the second one felt like B grade direct to dvd flick all the way through. Lazy, lazy, LAZY film making.
    Why does this happen? I really hope they tell Jeff Wadlow to get the **** out of the Director's chair for the next one (if there is one).
  18. Aug 29, 2013
    The original Kick-Ass was new, funny and original. Kick-Ass 2 is the same old stuff from the first one. Boring and to be honest, not that funny. It seems as if the writers ran out of material and just decided to kill everyone. It's predictable and a waste of time.
  19. Aug 25, 2013
    A film in the category "Unnecessary continuations".
    The actors carry the lousy film on her slender shoulders and have to resist the bad script and the story grottigen. But they lose the fight and try to save even one of the worst films of the year.
    Mission failed.
  20. Mar 12, 2014
    unoriginal sad redo of the same tricks of a already over done concept . Super fans ya'll need to learn to be objective just because you like it doesn't mean it's a good movie . My favorite movies are Godzilla movies and they are not filmed or acted good .
  21. Sep 22, 2013
    Despite some brutal action scenes, this film is generally barren of the ironic twists that made the first film successful, and relies on more gag humor this time around, and a rehashed script that's been pulled off more effectively in the past.
  22. Sep 5, 2013
    The first film is far superior to this one. On this one they dropped the ball big time.
    Poorly plotted and written. Far too many lengthy speeches from heroes declaring their ideals about being heroes. Sounded like a hero recruitment ad. It very loosely follows the graphic novel, but shifts to a completely different ending.
    Also the humor was the typical teen aged brain dead sort which
    you can see coming a mile away.
    Stick to the first film which was of high cult status.
  23. Sep 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awash in a summer of sequels and comic book movies comes Kick-Ass 2, sequel to the well received cult classic of three years ago. But where Man of Steel or The Wolverine take themselves seriously Kick-Ass offers something of a deconstruction of the superhero genre, whilst fulfilling every comic book fan's fantasy of donning a costume and taking to the streets.

The vast majority of the cast return, Aaron Taylor-Johnson topping the bill as Kick-Ass himself, though looking a little too old to play a high school senior. Though he ostensibly holds the title role, Kick-Ass takes a back seat to the continuing development of breakout character Hit Girl (Chloë Grace Moretz), who after vowing to hang up the cape after her father's death, must now become plain old Mindy MacReady and deal with the trials and tribulations of puberty and fitting in at high school.

Christopher Mintz-Plasse, returns as Chris D'Amico, who is pushed over the edge fairly quickly, first by the death of his mother, who meets her demise in a manner more befitting a Final Destination film than a supposedly light-hearted superhero flick. But that's not really what Kick-Ass is. It's lewd, crude, and graphically violent, and the worst is still ahead. There's something disturbing about a teenager dressing up in his deceased mother's bondage gear, especially considering the moniker he swiftly adopts. It's all played for laughs, of course, but perhaps it highlights just how unhinged and lost the character has become.

The next ultimatum is delivered by D'Amico's Uncle Ralph, who has become the new head of the crime family. Still in prison, he steals his only scene with all the ruthlessness of The Sopranos' Richie Aprile. In retaliation, D'Amico ups his game, using his financial status to hire a motley crew of mercenaries: MMA fighters, Triads, and ex-KGB. D'Amico gives new monikers to his villainous team: a series of racist stereotypes which he defends as "archetypes".

The protagonists are likable, and you are concerned for their survival, but the butchering of otherwise despicable goons is grim enough to stay the unconditional rooting for the good guys. The brutal massacre of ten New York police officers by a six foot Russian cannibal was particularly unpleasant. I'm not sure anyone in the cinema was laughing along with the comically fast paced Russian national anthem that played throughout. This is not an abject condemnation of violence in film. Tarantino's great, it's easy to sit through Django Unchained or Pulp Fiction, and many a plot has been moved forward when the death of a character ups the ante. There was just something about this film's attitude that did not resonate.

This is all true to the source material, and the comics go much further in the sadistic displays committed by some characters. The comic is sold on the back of sickening violence and crude language, and that's just the way the fans like it. They've even complained that the original story's integrity has been diminished by these omissions.

The narrative is split between the three leads, and Kick-Ass, looking to get back on the streets, joins a league of superheroes calling themselves "Justice Forever". They are led by Colonel Stars & Stripes, in a fantastic turn by Jim Carrey. Unfortunately, the film suffers from a character dump at this point in the form of the bland members of "Justice Forever", all of whom are utterly eclipsed by Carrey.

Hit Girl spends most of her arc locked in a generic high school movie. Treading the water at a saccharine slumber party, popular queen Brooke at first takes Mindy under her wing; exposing her to the heady delights of British pop music. The tide swiftly turns when a nervous Mindy uses her Hit Girl skills to unintentionally upstage Brooke at a dance try out, resulting in a disproportionate retribution of soul destroying (for a teenage girl) proportions. Brooke is treated to a crude comeuppance that seems weirdly out of place. Yet this high school coming of age story, whilst reasonably well crafted on its own, seems like small potatoes compared to the extremity of the other challenges faced, and is diminished as a result.

I'm not a huge follower of comic books in general, but I enjoy the aesthetic, and in this, Kick-Ass holds true, with its bright colours, fast paced action, and satisfyingly euphoric soundtrack. Scene changes are greeted with comic book style panel inserts ("Later that day…") and a scene involving a Chinese prostitution ring is cleverly subtitled using speech bubbles.

Perhaps I misunderstand the appeal of Kick-Ass. Maybe I do, and it's just not for me. The original, violent and thoroughly enjoyable film stirred none of these sentiments. You can't expect two films called Kill Bill to end without someone called Bill biting the bullet, and you can't expect to watch a film called Kick-Ass (or even Kick-Ass 2) without some asses getting kicked.
  24. Sep 11, 2013
    La vibra del universo de la primera parte de esta aventura se perdió y se convirtió en una cuestión muy comercial y genérica. Por tal razón, es que al mismo tiempo le reconozco al director y escritor su conocimiento en cuanto al fluido del mercado de esta industria. Y es que lo comercial a la mayoría de las personas le agrada, pero hay que entender que es un acto poco original.
  25. Jun 17, 2014
    A light-hearted comedic romp into the pseudo-super-hero genre that quickly descends into torture-porn at an alarming rate. Anybody who is this desensitised to violence to find this funny should take a serious look at their life and make changes.

1. Reviewed by: Ali Arikan
    Aug 16, 2013
    One of the year's worst films.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Roeper
    Aug 15, 2013
    Kick-Ass 2 is an uninspired retread. All too often it plays like a Comic-Con gone insane, with costumed do-gooders taking on costumed criminals in gratuitously vicious battles.
  3. Reviewed by: Chris Nashawaty
    Aug 15, 2013
    Moretz, who is 16 now, can't manufacture the same that's-so-wrong jolt she managed the first time around. Back then, it was hilariously taboo to see a little girl spout arias of profanity. Now, she's just another teenager swearing. Like the rest of the film, what was once shocking now just elicits a shrug.