8.4

1. JordanS
    Hit girl freaking owns!
  2. BrianN.
    Apr 17, 2010
    It was as violent and funny as I expected it to be. While they disappointed me a little by the alteration from the comic, I know why it was done. Just as I had hoped, Hit-Girl stole the show. Moretz played one mean, cute, little girl. She definitely brought Kill Bill to my mind on more than one occasion. A must-see, especially if you haven't already read the comics.
  3. GeorgeN
    Apr 17, 2010
    Entertaining and violent as can be. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time! Not for kids under 17.
  4. ShawnL
    Apr 18, 2010
    Went in looking for an entertaining action movie. Left the theater with that and more. A pleasant surprise to say the least. Ignore the "pro"-critics. What do they know anyway?
  5. Ver
    Apr 18, 2010
    Greatly entertaining movie. Definitely check it out!
  6. Snoopyblue
    Apr 18, 2010
    This movie was bad-ass so entertaining and fun to watch. Go see this movie you haven't yet. It is def worth watching.
  7. MichaelB.
    Apr 19, 2010
    This movie is f***ing awesome. there are parts where it drags but they usally throw a joke to even it out. but hitgirl and big daddy really steal the show. whenever they are one screen there is only one word "EPIC". their sub-plot although designed as a plot device for the main plots execution probably could have been its own movie had they wanted to develop it fully.
  8. ChadS.
    Apr 19, 2010
    The Atari 2600 hit the marketplace in 1977. Two years later, Barbara Ann Spencer, a schoolgirl, opened fire on a group of elementary-aged children as if they were space invaders. Shortly after the killing spree, Spencer was quoted as saying, "I did it for the fun of it. I don't like..." In "Kick-Ass", the first-person shooting game is co-opted into film language, as Mindy(Chloe Grace The Atari 2600 hit the marketplace in 1977. Two years later, Barbara Ann Spencer, a schoolgirl, opened fire on a group of elementary-aged children as if they were space invaders. Shortly after the killing spree, Spencer was quoted as saying, "I did it for the fun of it. I don't like..." In "Kick-Ass", the first-person shooting game is co-opted into film language, as Mindy(Chloe Grace Moretz in a bravura performance) uses night-vision goggles(like Buffalo Bill in Jonathan Demme's "The Silence of the Lambs") to pick off her targets. Donning her Hit Girl getup, Mindy is practically a cipher: an Xbox, X chromosome avatar who for the most part shows no remorse toward her victims. Despite being bad guys, the young girl's emotional detchment throughout each bloody ordeal makes Mindy seem more like a psychopath than a superhero. Spencer, who was the inspiration for The Boomtown Rats' new wave classic "I Don't Like Mondays", is inadvertently evoked through Hit Girl's purple wig, in which purple, the color most associated with Prince, brings us back to Monday. (Prince wrote "Manic Monday" for The Bangles.) With Mindy's violent upbringing, the "enfant terrible" shouldn't be anywhere near school perimeters, but "Kick-Ass" is a comic book movie(albeit a superior one) and doesn't factor in such realities of child development. Since the anti-social girl has little regard for the sanctity of human life, there's always the possibility of Mindy summoning up her alter-ego to protect the weak from a mean cheerleader or surly jock with cataclysmic results. In the classic new wave song, Geldof, who could be describing Big Daddy(Nicolas Cage) as he takes aim at his daughter, writes: "And school's out early and soon we'll be learning/And the lesson today is how to die." Dave(Aaron Johnson) is not a licensed psychotherapist; he can't teach Mindy how to live. As for the profanity, Moretz has nothing on Natalie Portman, who in Ted Demme's "Beautiful Girls", says, "So you're the alcoholic high school buddy s*** for brains," to a chagrined Michael Rappaport. Expand
  9. WillieR.
    Apr 19, 2010
    Chloe Moretz is deserving of a Oscar nomination for sure. This movie if nothing else teaches there are always repercussions for our actions. Great action, good story and the fall-out from Kick-ass
  10. PeterN
    Apr 21, 2010
    I wasn't a fan of the fighting/violence but the interesting characters kept the movie fun for me
  11. mikec
    Apr 22, 2010
    I wanted to like this film much more than I actually did. The whole thing just seemed a little awkward and never really hit full stride.
  12. NateH.
    Apr 20, 2010
    Anyone who doesn't feel something when Kick-ass saves that guy from being beaten and explains his motives is dead inside. Stop being uptight and enjoy the movie.
  13. HarryN
    Apr 24, 2010
    When I first saw the commercials It didn't even come close to catching my attention but after all the adds shoving it down my throat it seemed watchable. It worked and I'm glad I saw it. Truly Amazing don't listen to the critics on this one. Must see in theatres.
  14. AfdhalH
    Apr 30, 2010
    I was overwhelmed when the movie's first week score to be 86%, higher than Avatar! So, I decided to bust my curiosity by going to the local cinema myself. How impressed am I on the movie as I barely sat down my bottom on the sear. I was hooked up with the movie. There were elements of HILARIOUSNESS, GROSS, SADNESS, ADRENALINE RUSH, and SUSPENSE..all in ONE movie. Great movie!! I was overwhelmed when the movie's first week score to be 86%, higher than Avatar! So, I decided to bust my curiosity by going to the local cinema myself. How impressed am I on the movie as I barely sat down my bottom on the sear. I was hooked up with the movie. There were elements of HILARIOUSNESS, GROSS, SADNESS, ADRENALINE RUSH, and SUSPENSE..all in ONE movie. Great movie!! Contender for the movie of the year and cant wait for the release of the BluRay. Expand
  15. trevorh.
    May 1, 2010
    Maintains a tight balance between awkward teen comedy and brutal violence. and i mean brutal. not since Kill Bill has a movie been so over-the-top gory. if you think, as i do and i'm sure many others as well, that superhero movies have begun taking themselves too seriously (after the Dark Knight), then do yourself a favor and see this movie. it's an adrenaline rush from start to finish.
  16. TomW.
    May 21, 2010
    This movie is beyond awesome i read the comic first and even if there was made some changes to the movie it still Kick-Ass ,and Chloë Moretz is amazing as Hit-Girl.
  17. GavinP.
    May 23, 2010
    Highly entertaining, well worth watching.
  18. MartinJ.
    May 24, 2010
    What can I say, well this is one pretty awesome film, especially when Dave try's to become a super hero and in doing so actually gets a sort of super power! Messed up nerves meaning he can take a beating like no other. With some loveable characters and although they're far fetched they don't feel completely out of this world, hit girl is just class absolutely class and big What can I say, well this is one pretty awesome film, especially when Dave try's to become a super hero and in doing so actually gets a sort of super power! Messed up nerves meaning he can take a beating like no other. With some loveable characters and although they're far fetched they don't feel completely out of this world, hit girl is just class absolutely class and big daddy is good psycho. Watch it and enjoy. Expand
  19. BarrettB
    May 28, 2010
    Great movie... serious, funny, great dialogue in parts. The story was a new spin on the superhero theme not to mention great action. Well done.
  20. LeoS
    May 6, 2010
    A wonderful violent but very funny film, too! interesting characters und a very very nice story! just perfect!
  21. alano.
    Jun 17, 2010
    Reading the comic made me think about the idea of being a superhero like Dave did in the movie too. The adaption just made my ideas expand to see that it could be possible.
  22. DarrenM>
    Apr 16, 2010
    Fantastically fun movie... but one that is for a specific audience. The action scenes are great, but the real gem is how the main character and his arch-nemesis are the sorriest excuses for costumed heroes/villains ever seen on screen. The movie is a parody of the genre, but one that is done with care and respect.
  23. EddieM
    Apr 16, 2010
    Amazing movie, the best ive seen since the dark knight! I feel that watching this movie made me realize you dont need anything to be a superhero. The acting was flawless, and I had to say, Hit Girl stole the show, but Aaron Johnson as Kick Ass was my favorite person, and for one reason, at the end which im not going to give away. But my favorite 5 films of all time. Definitely going to Amazing movie, the best ive seen since the dark knight! I feel that watching this movie made me realize you dont need anything to be a superhero. The acting was flawless, and I had to say, Hit Girl stole the show, but Aaron Johnson as Kick Ass was my favorite person, and for one reason, at the end which im not going to give away. But my favorite 5 films of all time. Definitely going to buy the soundtrack! Expand
  24. TedF
    Apr 16, 2010
    Kick ass is my favorite movie of all time I loved the fighting comedy and action actors were great mertz was amazing.
  25. HishamI.
    Apr 16, 2010
    This movie is fantastic. It blends comedy, violence and emotion and delivers it in a nice package. Each actor did a solid job in capturing the essence of the characters. All I got to say is you must watch this movie, because it will show you a good time.
  26. AbhinavR.
    Apr 16, 2010
    A blend of shockingly awesome violence and a semi-interesting premise, Kick-Ass is great fun.
  27. GD
    Apr 17, 2010
    Amazing movie. Ultra violent. This is not Superbad mixed with spider-man. Its Pulp Fiction mixed with Sin City. Funny, deeply disturbing but an amazing experience the whole way through.
  28. James
    Apr 17, 2010
    A shockingly entertaining movie! Don't listen to those negative reviews, in fact most of those sounded like they were looking for something else entirely. The movie has laughs and some great action scenes and with characters you can't believe you are rooting for.
  29. MattW.
    Apr 17, 2010
    About half way though i realized this movie was incredible. Being now, my new favorite movie of all time, i think its up there with dark knight as being one of the greatest movies of our generation.
  30. Kyle
    Apr 17, 2010
    Bad. Ass. One of the best movies to come out in this otherwise dry period. Excellent in every sense, worth watching, and my new personal favorite.
  31. Kim
    Apr 17, 2010
    I honestly thought this movie was hilarious. The movie also wasn't pointless. It had a storyline, had protagonists and antagonists. There was that tiny bit of drama, which mixed in with the comedy that was equalled out with some of the suspense. the movie wasn't cheaply made either. 10/10 no doubt.
  32. BaltazarH.
    Apr 18, 2010
    Very enjoyable and original.
  33. GlennM.
    Apr 18, 2010
    Was expecting to see a five and got a ten instead. Took my teenage Son thoroughly expecting to be bored, but was delightfully surprised when the movie turned out to be good. Real good! Would like to see this movie again when it comes out on DVD.
  34. NickK.
    Apr 18, 2010
    Wish it could have had a more interesting plot and back story, but everything else was great and over the top as a comic movie should be!
  35. ChristianM.
    Apr 18, 2010
    Fantastic movie, lived up the comic book's legacy.
  36. MarkL.
    Apr 18, 2010
    Very entertaining and very funny! Highly recommended.
  37. JaredM.
    Apr 19, 2010
    The movie gets dull when focused on Dave, but the action of Hit-Girl and Big-Daddy make this movie awesome.
  38. TimK.
    Apr 19, 2010
    While Dave isn't the most engaging character Hit-Girl and Big-Daddy really steal the show. The plot suffices for a comic book movie. Considering that its a comic book movie, it's a pretty good one. Plenty of action and simple dialogue that makes for a fun movie. The action scenes are awesome. Honestly they are some of the most entertaining action scenes I've ever seen. The While Dave isn't the most engaging character Hit-Girl and Big-Daddy really steal the show. The plot suffices for a comic book movie. Considering that its a comic book movie, it's a pretty good one. Plenty of action and simple dialogue that makes for a fun movie. The action scenes are awesome. Honestly they are some of the most entertaining action scenes I've ever seen. The bits of slow-motion thrown in was interesting. I appreciated the style. I'll leave the morally reprehensible stuff to the people who still think that children have innocence. Expand
  39. ReyneR
    Apr 25, 2010
    I thought Kick-Ass was far better than what I had expected from seeing the previews. I enjoyed the action packed, edge of your seat suspense. Great ending too!
  40. Phil
    Apr 25, 2010
    Hands down the most fun I've ever had in a cinema! (aside from teenage philandering of course).
  41. TilmanB.
    Apr 25, 2010
    Great Movie that realy kicks some ass ;) Nicolas Cage is back in some way...Hit Girl is just outstanding and steals the show, still Kick Ass (Hero) is great.
  42. Cmiles
    Apr 30, 2010
    This film is brilliant even if it does contain Nicolas Cage. and it really did surprise me with just how bloody and brutal it was, while at the same time remaining a really funny film. it is so original and entertaining. I highly recommend getting down to the cinema to watch this one.
  43. DarylL
    Apr 30, 2010
    Watching this movie is a thrill ride!!! The comedy and violence fits perfectly together to make this a highly entertaining film. Hit Girl is half Jedi Knight and half Navy Seal.
  44. JohnK
    Apr 30, 2010
    Seriously one of the best movies of all time. People forget to realize that a movie is purely there to entertain. Seeing some of the more negative reviews seriously disgusts me. The fact that some of these people are paid huge amounts of money just to blabber that since a movie has an 11-year old girl dropping the "c word therefore it sucks and is in poor taste" is just beyond stupid. Seriously one of the best movies of all time. People forget to realize that a movie is purely there to entertain. Seeing some of the more negative reviews seriously disgusts me. The fact that some of these people are paid huge amounts of money just to blabber that since a movie has an 11-year old girl dropping the "c word therefore it sucks and is in poor taste" is just beyond stupid. Yes, this movie is not for everyone, however most audiences that can get past the fact will enjoy it. On top of that, some of the reviews stating that some of the characters show no-emotion is purely absurd. The movie is incredible, ignore the ridiculously negative reviews. I truly hope a sequel is produced (in terms of the comic a trilogy is already planned however for the movie, a sequel is just being talked about at this point). Expand
  45. TylerG
    May 1, 2010
    I don't write reviews, but today I had to come out of my shell to let anyone reading this, know that Kick Ass is probably the best 2 hours you will spend in a movie theater this year.
  46. AntwianF.
    May 17, 2010
    A grown folks comic hero type of movie. i saw the defendor with woody harrelson which is also in the same realm but kick ass does it better!!
  47. Sandman
    May 19, 2010
    It's satire. Brilliantly done. Ignore the norks to whom this cynical pastiche of the superhero genre drew only petted lips and spiteful reviews. Entertaining, casually uproarious, with a couple of LOL moments that you can't help but relate to others with cackling glee. Petulant film students who seek Bergman in every Farrelly will of course peer down their idle noses. Let them It's satire. Brilliantly done. Ignore the norks to whom this cynical pastiche of the superhero genre drew only petted lips and spiteful reviews. Entertaining, casually uproarious, with a couple of LOL moments that you can't help but relate to others with cackling glee. Petulant film students who seek Bergman in every Farrelly will of course peer down their idle noses. Let them bump their gums in fruitless, pointless critique. This is a refreshing gem and well worth the watch. Expand
  48. TylerD
    May 19, 2010
    This is by far the best movie Ive ever seen.
  49. BaldurK.
    May 25, 2010
    It was funny as hell! Deserves better than a meta of 66! Really, hell of a better score it should have!
  50. AlanG.
    May 29, 2010
    This movie was FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!!!!! Nuff' Said.
  51. Raf
    May 3, 2010
    Actually saw this movie by accident. Loved every minute of it. If you liked Kill Bill, you'll probably like this. Definitely not for everyone.
  52. HughM.
    Jun 15, 2010
    Not a great movie, but certainly good. Nice acting, smoothly developed, enough thrills balanced with development. A genuinly good movie.
  53. JamesS.
    Jun 15, 2010
    I dont know what Jorge A. is on about, his comment isn't even coherent, this movie is far better than a 2. It was an entertaining take on the superhero genre, 9/10.
  54. Johnny
    Jun 17, 2010
    People who said that this movie was appalling didn't even bother to give it a chance. They say that it wasn't even bold or artistic, but that's because they were too busy complaining about the violence. It IS rated "R"! So don't go insulting it because you get light-headed at the sight of blood. They were bold with the character choices. They were artistic in their People who said that this movie was appalling didn't even bother to give it a chance. They say that it wasn't even bold or artistic, but that's because they were too busy complaining about the violence. It IS rated "R"! So don't go insulting it because you get light-headed at the sight of blood. They were bold with the character choices. They were artistic in their storytelling. And they were funny as hell with the dialogue! Expand
  55. joeblow
    Jun 3, 2010
    Id give it a 10 but nothing is perfect. Great film. Loved it. What else can i say? Go see it. Its awesome.
  56. berban
    Jun 3, 2010
    I couldn't believe the superb balance that this movie achieved between everything it set out to do. I think you'd be pretty hard-pressed to find a comedy with as much sweet action, or an action flick with as much of a character development and satisfying resolution.
  57. JoradT
    Apr 16, 2010
    I really dunno what some of the low scoring critics are smoking. This is a FANTASTIC movie. I very much enjoyed it. What I like about it is the fact that it can almost related to. I'm sure quite a lot of people have at some stage wanted to be a superhero and this demonstrates that really well. Apart from that it's hilarious and excessive. The film never really takes itself too I really dunno what some of the low scoring critics are smoking. This is a FANTASTIC movie. I very much enjoyed it. What I like about it is the fact that it can almost related to. I'm sure quite a lot of people have at some stage wanted to be a superhero and this demonstrates that really well. Apart from that it's hilarious and excessive. The film never really takes itself too seriously. If it does something, it does that to the MAX. Definitely a must see. I'll be waiting anxiously for the DVD. Expand
  58. AlbertS.
    Apr 16, 2010
    Corney, funny, violent, great all around movie. The music track was perfect in setting the scene. Superb violence, yet not insanely over the top. A fun film to watch with friends.
  59. WilliamM.
    Apr 16, 2010
    This movie is a blast from beginning to end. If you want to go the the movies and watch something to have a good time, this is the movie to watch. Over the top violence, hugely entertaining moments, and of course it's funny. The only people that seemed to dislike this movie missed the point and took Hit-Girl too seriously. I doubt any little girl is going to replicate what happened This movie is a blast from beginning to end. If you want to go the the movies and watch something to have a good time, this is the movie to watch. Over the top violence, hugely entertaining moments, and of course it's funny. The only people that seemed to dislike this movie missed the point and took Hit-Girl too seriously. I doubt any little girl is going to replicate what happened in this movie, this comic-book movie. Expand
  60. FredD.
    Apr 16, 2010
    This is not the godfather, but it's hard not to thoroughly enjoy this movie which oozes fun and brilliant one liners. Had the audience laughing and clapping all the way through, brilliant fun
  61. BernieW.
    Apr 16, 2010
    Awesome film, I think the reviewers who had bad things to say are taking themselves way too seriously. Especially Ebert. I loved the action sequences and it was cool to hear some of the songs in this again. Loved it all around and will probably see it again in theaters.
  62. IanM
    Apr 16, 2010
    Seriously fun movie to watch. The violence was definitely over the top, and that made it even better. Would watch again.
  63. EvinC
    Apr 16, 2010
    Wasn't quite what i expected and it took itself way too seriously. But it was still a pretty awesome flick that one could own. Chloe Moretz is my new hero and Nic Cage has a great little comeback.
  64. WilliamJ.
    Apr 16, 2010
    Too many curse words. Not for kids, but is very funny.
  65. DillonM
    Apr 17, 2010
    Good superhero movies are hard to come by, but Kick Ass removes the super from hero, and destroys any and all doubts about this movie being dumb and bloody. Lines are reminiscent of Superbad, dripping wit. The characters are real enough to relate to, and crazy enough to cheer for. The action is perfectly set up. It can often reach a level of hilarity by being extremely absurd. The Good superhero movies are hard to come by, but Kick Ass removes the super from hero, and destroys any and all doubts about this movie being dumb and bloody. Lines are reminiscent of Superbad, dripping wit. The characters are real enough to relate to, and crazy enough to cheer for. The action is perfectly set up. It can often reach a level of hilarity by being extremely absurd. The "super"heroes Hit-Girl and Big Daddy steal the show, being a perfect father-daughter duo. Their life style is "questionable" to say the least, but this adds to the movie. Aaron Johnson captures the geekiness of Dave Lizewski perfectly. Every part of this movie is picture-perfect. Action, comedy, acting, absurdity. If you like movies, this is a must-see. Expand
  66. JoshE
    Apr 17, 2010
    Absolutely not for children. Not for adults who can't turn on their fantasy/not reality brain. For people who want to have fun watching an amazing little girl shoot, stab, slice, and wisecrack though a lot of bad guys. "Kick-Ass" is a very dark, very funny, look at what "real-life" super heroes might be like. Hit-Girl may not be the main character of the movie, but she's the Absolutely not for children. Not for adults who can't turn on their fantasy/not reality brain. For people who want to have fun watching an amazing little girl shoot, stab, slice, and wisecrack though a lot of bad guys. "Kick-Ass" is a very dark, very funny, look at what "real-life" super heroes might be like. Hit-Girl may not be the main character of the movie, but she's the main thing you'll be talking about when you leave. Add the rest of the characters to Hit Girl, the story, and the production quality, and you've got a movie like you've never seen. Awesome! Expand
  67. EdP
    Apr 17, 2010
    Damn good movie! Will probably want to read the comics now.
  68. AustinT
    Apr 17, 2010
    This movie is so careless with its humor that you can't help but join the ride of wild violence, gore, and toilet comedy and if you go with the flow you will have a great time with the movie.
  69. KylerC.
    Apr 17, 2010
    Awesome. Everything that is great about superhero movies all bundled up into a nice little package.
  70. DerekW.
    Apr 18, 2010
    This is an enjoyable film. As expected, Chloe Moretz steals the show with her foul mouth and extreme violence. I really enjoyed Aaron Johnson's character for the first half of the film, too--after that, his character ceases to develop and the film feels lost. There are some great moments in this film, and it had me laughing on a mostly-regular basis, but the dialogue could have been This is an enjoyable film. As expected, Chloe Moretz steals the show with her foul mouth and extreme violence. I really enjoyed Aaron Johnson's character for the first half of the film, too--after that, his character ceases to develop and the film feels lost. There are some great moments in this film, and it had me laughing on a mostly-regular basis, but the dialogue could have been much better and the soundtrack was terrible. (The one exception is the scene that introduces Hit-Girl--the bright pop music juxtaposes the violent action sequence, to hilarious results.) If you're a fan of the genre and not turned off by strong language and violence, this is a movie worth seeing. Unnecessary sub-plots (boy-seeks-girl) and bad soundtrack aside, this movie entertains most of the time. Expand
  71. DrewF
    Apr 18, 2010
    Kick-Ass was truly great.
  72. SteveR.
    Apr 18, 2010
    Just about the most fun I've had in a movie theatre for ages. Took me well into the next morning to come off the adrenalin rush.
  73. MariusJ.
    Apr 18, 2010
    This movie is freaking awesome. Deserves at least an 80/100. Perfectly paced, comical, sad, intense, action filled.
  74. CarlosS
    Apr 18, 2010
    Amazing fight scenes with the sometimes awkward time in between. Had a good time watching this as did others that were watching.
  75. JoeR.
    Apr 18, 2010
    Original. Funny. Extremely graphic and violent. It felt like an amazing gasp of fresh air. Simply a great piece of entertainment.
  76. MargoB
    Apr 22, 2010
    Outstanding. Smart as hell and gloriously beautiful filmmaking. The performances are uniformly great.
  77. KyleC
    Apr 23, 2010
    A great movie that never stops being fun. Chloe Moretz gave an incredible performance as "Hit-Girl," and Nicolas Cage was great in his zaniest off-the-wall role as "Big Daddy." It got my juices pumping. Go see.
  78. SamR.
    Apr 24, 2010
    I loved this movie great action great plot and it was funny, the language was colorful and all was good.
  79. TonyT
    Apr 24, 2010
    FABULOUSLY ENTERTAINING. great for those who read the comics, only six of them anyway, and great for those who just want to see because the name is censored by some companies lol.
  80. Elij.
    Apr 25, 2010
    Great movie, it was really fun to watch. I dont usually say that about most films either. I hated both transformers and the second and third Pirates of the Caribbean movies. It was good quality film making and was very well done, but to compare comic book/graphic novels i was shocked that this out scored watchmen. I thought watchmen was well executed as well and deserved to get in the Great movie, it was really fun to watch. I dont usually say that about most films either. I hated both transformers and the second and third Pirates of the Caribbean movies. It was good quality film making and was very well done, but to compare comic book/graphic novels i was shocked that this out scored watchmen. I thought watchmen was well executed as well and deserved to get in the sixties or even the seventies. Expand
  81. JoeS
    Apr 26, 2010
    A great movie that narrowly avoids the pitfalls that so many movies like it manage to get stuck in, you'll leave this movie with an odd feeling that you really like it but you're not sure why. It will slowly dawn on you over the next 24 hours until finally you just want to see it again. The main character feels like a kid that really does just want to do some good in a world of A great movie that narrowly avoids the pitfalls that so many movies like it manage to get stuck in, you'll leave this movie with an odd feeling that you really like it but you're not sure why. It will slowly dawn on you over the next 24 hours until finally you just want to see it again. The main character feels like a kid that really does just want to do some good in a world of onlookers, and the supporting characters, while coming dangerously close to the ends-justifies-the-means good guys that you ultimately dislike, they pull out just in time to make you feel satisfied with the ending. After all was said and done, I couldn't wait to see the sequel when the main character manages to get a little more professional training in. Expand
  82. TylerG
    Apr 28, 2010
  83. CatS
    Apr 29, 2010
    Everyone keeps talking about how hitgirl doesn't show any emotion, but that is not true. The scene where Big Daddy and Kick-ass are tied to chairs and hitgirl is running around with the night-vision goggles on (those of you who have seen this know what happens here) is one of the most heartbreaking scenes I have seen in a movie in a long time -- especially a comic-book movie. And, Everyone keeps talking about how hitgirl doesn't show any emotion, but that is not true. The scene where Big Daddy and Kick-ass are tied to chairs and hitgirl is running around with the night-vision goggles on (those of you who have seen this know what happens here) is one of the most heartbreaking scenes I have seen in a movie in a long time -- especially a comic-book movie. And, those of you who think this is so out of the realm of decency (or that it is something new) to dress little girls up as school girls and also have them be killers need to take in some decent anime. Japan has been doing this type of stuff for years (both anime and live-action) and they seem to be surviving as a country. So chill out, bad reviewers -- this movie is highly entertaining and far above the level of most of the dreck that gets released. Also, we tend to get all on about the innocence of children, but children can be hugely cruel to one another. Ever think that maybe hitgirl just puts the id in kid? Expand
  84. DanielR.
    Apr 29, 2010
    The reason I rate the film a perfect ten is not because it's perfect; because it is not. I would generally give Kick-Ass a 9/10 or maybe even an 8/10, but the user score read 8.3, which Kick-Ass deserves better than. I honestly thought that the film was by far the most violent and purely entertaining movie I have ever seen. The acting seems to be fairly genuine, the plot a little The reason I rate the film a perfect ten is not because it's perfect; because it is not. I would generally give Kick-Ass a 9/10 or maybe even an 8/10, but the user score read 8.3, which Kick-Ass deserves better than. I honestly thought that the film was by far the most violent and purely entertaining movie I have ever seen. The acting seems to be fairly genuine, the plot a little ridiculous, but I would see it a hundred times over, as several others probably would. Expand
  85. SachinP
    May 17, 2010
    This is a brilliant film - I think the low critic's score shows just how out of touch and snooty critics are. They wouldn't know a good film if it hit them on the head.
  86. MichaelL.
    May 21, 2010
    This film does bring up topics the other films don't even mention. The first 30 minutes may seem like a generic comedy or "hero movie in reality", but after interesting characters and events are added, it delivers a totally different from just a comedy. Anyone interested in ti should watch it, unless you are a parent that complains on your son/ daughter cursing and playing too many This film does bring up topics the other films don't even mention. The first 30 minutes may seem like a generic comedy or "hero movie in reality", but after interesting characters and events are added, it delivers a totally different from just a comedy. Anyone interested in ti should watch it, unless you are a parent that complains on your son/ daughter cursing and playing too many violent video games because you'll be very disappointed by knowing how dark this world is. Expand
  87. Aug 11, 2010
    Funny, bloody, and even strangely powerful in places, 'Kick Ass' is fun entertainment of the highest order. You'll have a blast if you leave political correctness at the door.
  88. Aug 11, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Kick-Ass The past decade has offered many successful comic adaptations, which not only nail the feel of the comic, but also entertain fans and audiences alike. In 2008 we were given The Dark Knight which is undoubtedly the most successful comic adaptation of all time, but the newest adaptation Kick-Ass could very well be held to The Dark Knightâ Expand
  89. Nov 22, 2012
    I must first say that it is a really well made film with some excellent stunt work. I thought the music chosen for the score was really great as well. Excellent performances from all of the leading cast, Aaron Johnson as Dave Lizewski/Kick-Ass, Nicolas Cage as Damon Macready/Big Daddy is excellent, Chloe Moretz as Mindy Macready/Hit-Girl (also superb), Mark Strong as Frank D
  90. Mar 18, 2013
    Kick-Ass is a very funny, very violent and very original super hero flick. The action sequences are exceptionally well directed; exciting, grotesque and laugh-out-loud funny all at the same time. This is a great film, stuffed full of memorable moments and characters.
  91. Aug 12, 2011
    Kick-Ass is, for sure, a fine homage to super heroes. Besides entering on a cliche universe, however peculiar, from the characters (special abilities, graphic violence, good humor, and really versus evilness), the film brings a curious narrative which accosts the contrast between existentialism and the consequences of being a 'demigod'. The production, inspired in the graphic novel by JohnKick-Ass is, for sure, a fine homage to super heroes. Besides entering on a cliche universe, however peculiar, from the characters (special abilities, graphic violence, good humor, and really versus evilness), the film brings a curious narrative which accosts the contrast between existentialism and the consequences of being a 'demigod'. The production, inspired in the graphic novel by John Romita Jr. and Mark Millar, is really well directed by the Britain and the debutant Matthew Vaughn. Apart from the cool balconies of metalanguage and creativity in conducting cameras, Vaughn brings a clever script that prints a breathtaking pace balancing drama, action (with inventive scenes and quality) and comedy in good measure. Telling more details about the heroes in "Kick-Ass" would be such a immorality. The amazing true story about the 'alter egos' work as well as the stories of famous 'vigilantes' on crime. Kick it Hit-Girl! Expand
  92. Aug 10, 2011
    It's a good movie. Just don't take it too seriously. Lots of hardcore violence that i didn't expect and some very memorable characters. Kids, don't take advice on girls from a guy that looks like a hobbit. Enjoy.
  93. Sep 12, 2011
    After watching this movie the second time, I can easily say that this is one of my favorite Superhero films, and then watching it the third time, I absolutely loved it even more! I found out how awesome the action scenes were and how the characters did a perfect job. I really didn't think this movie can be that dark and funny at the same time. Just can't see how some people would hate it.After watching this movie the second time, I can easily say that this is one of my favorite Superhero films, and then watching it the third time, I absolutely loved it even more! I found out how awesome the action scenes were and how the characters did a perfect job. I really didn't think this movie can be that dark and funny at the same time. Just can't see how some people would hate it. Well, I guess if you took your child to this movie thinking it will be for kids, but who would think of that with the title Kick-Ass. What Im really surprised about is how Nicholas cage did in this movie, playing Big Daddy. It wasn't one of his same old acting, but it was something most of us was waiting for. Of course, Hit Girl, played by Cloe Moretz, was my favorite character. She did the most awesome moves when fighting. Aaron Johnson might have been a new face to all of you, if you haven't seen Nowhere Boy, which you have to see. Aaron played the main character, Kick-Ass, who's got sick and tired of getting picked on. So he becomes a superhero, and becomes really famous. Then somehow everything turns out wrong, when a part of gang gets taken down by kick-Ass, Hit girl, and Big Daddy. The last two action scenes is so awesome and intense that I almost peed myself. Kick-Ass and Red Mist are probably the ones that make this movie have hilarious parts. I also discovered that this had songs from Danny Boyle's "28 days later" and "Sunshine" during the fight scenes that really made it's mark. I will definitely love this film, and the characters, and I think I just found a new favorite director, Mathew Vahn, who directed "Stardust" ( who would've guessed that), and produced "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels". This movie is not the average superhero movie, but is definitely one of my favorites. Collapse
  94. Jul 27, 2011
    In my opinion, this movie was much better than I expected it to be. The story is pretty interesting, along with the action throughout the whole movie. This movie is a good movie that I think everyone would enjoy.
  95. Sep 14, 2011
    The 21st century has seen a revival in the superhero genre of films, and few are as unique and as brilliant as Kick-Ass. Created in the writing rooms of Marvel, the transition to cinema has been almost entirely successful, and has catapulted this excellent comic into the mainstream. An outstanding aspect of the film is the casting, in particular bringing all of our attention toThe 21st century has seen a revival in the superhero genre of films, and few are as unique and as brilliant as Kick-Ass. Created in the writing rooms of Marvel, the transition to cinema has been almost entirely successful, and has catapulted this excellent comic into the mainstream. An outstanding aspect of the film is the casting, in particular bringing all of our attention to Chloë Moretz in the controversial role of Hit Girl. Others performed admirably too; Cage turned in a decent performance; Aaron Johnson played the eponymous role well; and comedy was provided from all angles in the form of Dave Lizewski's buddies, Marty and Todd. The real brilliance of the film though is routed in the realistic nature of the setting and characters, with the plot showing fantastic uniqueness. Kick-Ass has succeeded in being a great film, good fun to watch and yet at the same time making the audience feel emotionally invested in the characters. The action sequences are worth a special mention, in particular those involving the character Hit Girl, because of the way in which they are shot. Matthew Vaughn has pulled out all the stops in creating visually stunning fight sequences, and coupled with a well chosen soundtrack, he has created some of the best action sequences in recent times. None of this compromises the emotional integrity of the film, and for that the film creators deserve great credit given how gory the comic was. A great film, a kick-ass film. Expand
  96. Jul 20, 2012
    It's unfair to say that films that are this inappropriate are highlighted as 'not for children'. Well, duh, of course not, but just because this film is violent and full of profanity, does that make it any less better than other films that are considered more appropriate? This is pure entertainment and the jokes were never few and far between - it felt funny, fresh and original. Yeah, so,It's unfair to say that films that are this inappropriate are highlighted as 'not for children'. Well, duh, of course not, but just because this film is violent and full of profanity, does that make it any less better than other films that are considered more appropriate? This is pure entertainment and the jokes were never few and far between - it felt funny, fresh and original. Yeah, so, the beginning had little fire-power to it, but that didn't matter. The songs rocked and there were some extremely colourful characters - Strong certainly had a field day playing Frank D'Amico. On that note, it was brilliant to see some well-known and likeable actors playing them, although it's the first time that I've seen Cage excel at his acting! The costumes were certainly colourful too - especially Christopher, who could not look better in that epic Red Mist outfit! Action-packed, beautifully paced, side-splitting tear-inducing falling-off-sofa humoured solid gold entertainment, and, despite what the critics think (Average review score of 66? Please, show yourself to the door this instant), this film really knows how to Kick-Ass! Expand
  97. Mar 8, 2013
    Word of advice, don't follow the trailer on this one, because Kick-Ass is further away than the dumbed down superhero comedy that the trailer indicated.
    The film is narrated by Dave Lizewski (Aaron Johnson) who often seriously thinks about being a superhero, not necessarily one with superhuman abilities or with mountains of cash, but one who is a genuine citizen in a cheap spandex suit trying to right the wrongs of the city, so he does exactly that.
    The story the takes an interesting turn as there are already superheroes present in New York, in the form of Big Daddy (Nicolas Cage) and Hit-Girl (Chloë Moretz). They are quite the dynamic duo as they are already skilled in the art of fighting and, well, being heroic.
    There is no hero without the villain of course, and Mark Strong puts in a strong performance as gang boss Frank D'Amico, who is attempting to dispose the heroes, with the accompaniment of his son, Chris (Christopher Mintz-Plasse).
    This was quite a risky and fragile road to take in turning this comic book into a film, it makes no attempt in hiding its promotion of unadulterated violence and all out crude and profanity laced dialogue, yet it still turns out to be one of the best and very different comedies of its time.
    Hit-Girl is obviously the talk of the film, controversy surrounds Moretz's roll as an 11 year old swearing, stabbing and killing machine, but films need to take risks like this in order to evolve and adapt to other genres, because there is no doubt that this film doesn't hold back in using shock and awe tactics to create a stellar film, one which, with the type of movie you see, the writers know will not please everyone.
    Johnson is quite likeable in his role as Kick-Ass, he explains everything in a pop-cultured yet realistic manner that cannot be ignored, it all fits together with the comedic but grounded tone of the film.
    There is of course plenty of action with some impressive sequences, one involving Hit-Girl taking down a small army of men along to 'Bad Reputation' by Joan Jett, quite brilliant. Nicolas Cage does an excellent turn as Big Daddy, playing a very different role to what we are used to, but its Moretz and Johnson who steal the show as the young heroes, forever unpredictable and of course full of teenage kicks.
    Quite a different sort of superhero and comedy film, but naturally one which will not be funny to everyone.
  98. Jan 21, 2012
    Its not for all kids, but the plot of Kick-Ass teaches people not to hesitate and stand up to bullies and criminals, makes a difference in fighting crime, teamwork is well-structured into the story than other superhero films, and delivers non-stop comic action and laughs.
  99. Aug 20, 2013
    Kick-Ass is one of the best "superhero" movies ever. I put quotes around the word "superhero" because it is not your traditional superhero film. The entire concept behind it is very unique and refreshing, the characters are not archetypal at all, the acting is good enough, and the style is very in-your-face. Granted, that in-your-face, overly graphic and profane style will certainly rubKick-Ass is one of the best "superhero" movies ever. I put quotes around the word "superhero" because it is not your traditional superhero film. The entire concept behind it is very unique and refreshing, the characters are not archetypal at all, the acting is good enough, and the style is very in-your-face. Granted, that in-your-face, overly graphic and profane style will certainly rub many people the wrong way. This is not a film for everyone. The only weak element of the film, and it's also part of its strength, is the ridiculousness of certain scenes and action sequences. I can't know it for that because the fact that it doesn't take itself too seriously is also part of its appeal but there are times when aggravation occurs. Overall, this is a great movie that, while everyone won't enjoy, those that do will certainly love it. Expand
  100. Feb 24, 2013
    It wasn't what I expected. I thought it would be a fun mix of comedy and action, but it wasn't. It started out pretty good, but then it just went way over the top, filled with clique violence and often used catch phrases. It was predictable, all be it entertaining. If you were like me however, expecting anything more than just another shoot 'em up, blow 'em up, action film, you're gonna beIt wasn't what I expected. I thought it would be a fun mix of comedy and action, but it wasn't. It started out pretty good, but then it just went way over the top, filled with clique violence and often used catch phrases. It was predictable, all be it entertaining. If you were like me however, expecting anything more than just another shoot 'em up, blow 'em up, action film, you're gonna be disappointed. Expand

1. A clever movie premise based on an obscure comic book has been turned into, okay we’ll say it, a fanboy’s kick-ass wet dream of a movie that could be a surprise Spring smash.
    A ridiculously entertaining, perfectly paced, ultra-violent cinematic rush that kicks the places other movies struggle to reach.
  3. Reviewed by: John Defore
    Its balancing act between innocence and gore perfectly matches the expectations of genre fans, who should embrace the movie.