7.4

1. CraigS.
    Dec 3, 2003
    Regarding KB and have to say i may never go to see another film produced in the US again in protest. In their desperation to produce serials and trilogies instead of GOOD FILMS, it seems like really-very-thin plot lines are being stretched over too much celluloid (or, if you're George Lucas, digital memory - he films all in digital, you know). Don't get me wrong, KB is Regarding KB and have to say i may never go to see another film produced in the US again in protest. In their desperation to produce serials and trilogies instead of GOOD FILMS, it seems like really-very-thin plot lines are being stretched over too much celluloid (or, if you're George Lucas, digital memory - he films all in digital, you know). Don't get me wrong, KB is entertaining stuff and well worth a look (with a great twist at the end), but Tarantitillationio seems to have replaced witty and snappy dialogue (a la Pulp Fiction, all hail to him for that) with... er... no dialogue at all. Just long silences in which people pose with a variety of weapons and give each other "meaningful" glances before exploding into ludicrous violence. No plot, because it seems we have to wait for part 2 for that, unlike the Matrix sequels where it was all plot in 2 and violence in 3. Beautifully filmed, directed and choreographed, but absolutely no substance at all, just like Matrix II and III and the League of Extraordinary Cr*p. Go and see Goodbye Lenin. At least the Germans haven't forgotten how to make a film. DISCLAIMER: The excellent Finding Nemo is of course excempt from the above vented spleen. Expand
  2. KelvinL.
    Aug 29, 2005
    Stylish and exciting with a great soundtrack! I smell a rat, some reviews which gave this film 0 look remarkable similar! This gives me reason to suspect that they were penned from the same indivdual! For those complaining against the violence, just what were you expecting! The clue is in the title! Any film with "kill" in is not going to be Mary Poppins! As for those comments saying most Stylish and exciting with a great soundtrack! I smell a rat, some reviews which gave this film 0 look remarkable similar! This gives me reason to suspect that they were penned from the same indivdual! For those complaining against the violence, just what were you expecting! The clue is in the title! Any film with "kill" in is not going to be Mary Poppins! As for those comments saying most of the audience left halfway through the film with only 25% capacity, I guess it depends where you live, my cinema was packed to capacity and not one person left early! Expand
  3. AnoldR.
    Jan 6, 2004
    One hell of a movie to come back with, excellent, kept me on the edge of my seat while laughing my arse off, can't wait untill volume 2 comes out in Feb.
  4. NinaS.
    Oct 8, 2004
    I just saw this for the first time on DVD. While I appreciate the extreme stylishness of this movie (parts of it are extraordinary, both funny and startling) by the end of it I found myself simply bored by tedious dialogue, cartoonish violence and self-indulgent, padded (even swollen) scenes that should have been cut down or out. I understand that it's an homage to movies that QT I just saw this for the first time on DVD. While I appreciate the extreme stylishness of this movie (parts of it are extraordinary, both funny and startling) by the end of it I found myself simply bored by tedious dialogue, cartoonish violence and self-indulgent, padded (even swollen) scenes that should have been cut down or out. I understand that it's an homage to movies that QT loves -- that's clear. But this movie certainly didn't make me love it or them, and it left me instead with a sense of its essential emptiness. I wouldn't call it a waste of time, because even QT's failures are interesting, but it was a bit of a yawn. Ah well, to each his or her own, I suppose. Expand
  5. GalS.
    Jan 9, 2004
    i have the movie on DVD, and every time I watch it I wanna be in the movie (wtf?!)......it is good!!!!!! although this movie is very bloody its also bloody good!
  6. TheRoninS.
    Feb 4, 2004
    All these people whining about the violence...even squeamish critic Leonard Maltin understood it's overwhelmingly cartoonish nature.
  7. DillB.
    May 30, 2004
    This is one of the greatest movies of all time. Just the way that they set up the scenes and then execute all of the cool scenes. I am saying this from a director's point of view and this has to be one of the greatest movies of all time. I have already seen it about 200 times and it is still one of my favorite movies and it hasn't gotten old yet.
  8. Sean
    Jul 1, 2004
    Amazing. If you enjoy action at all, you will love this movie.
  9. JoeyK.
    Aug 8, 2005
    I'm not a huge enthusiast of Tarantino or this movie, but I liked it and I'm shocked it got as low as a 69. I expected high 70's at the lowest to high 80's at the best. It's a good movie, with interesting style, and plenty to keep your attention. Tarantino screws with reality, it seems, but that's what movies are for, aren't they?
  10. JohnE
    Oct 9, 2006
    Absolute classic revenge movie, Tarantino gives the genre the respect it reserves. This was obviously a tribute to films that have inspired him, but still had Tarantino's signature touches.
  11. MichaelY.
    Apr 6, 2007
    The most exciting moviegoing experience I have ever had in the theater...I don't know whether that makes it a great movie, but it can't hurt. Tarantino pulls out all the stops, showing all of his skills, and gives the audience a helluva ride.
  12. EricC.
    Oct 11, 2003
    This movie is probably the closest I've seen any movie come to imitating a japanese anime. And for me, that's a very good thing. Kill Bill is just surrounded in so much style, it practically puts the film in a league of its own. The action scenes are the best I've seen since Matrix: Reloaded. This film is very bloody, but not like a Jason movie. It would be more accurate to This movie is probably the closest I've seen any movie come to imitating a japanese anime. And for me, that's a very good thing. Kill Bill is just surrounded in so much style, it practically puts the film in a league of its own. The action scenes are the best I've seen since Matrix: Reloaded. This film is very bloody, but not like a Jason movie. It would be more accurate to say the over-the-top blood content helps increase the feel of Kill Bill. The acting is top-notch, and without a doubt, Uma Thurman performs fantastically. I could've easily watched vol. 1 and 2 together for three hours straight. I never got bored of it. Expand
  13. MikeFlex
    Oct 11, 2003
    Kill Bill may not have been the greatest movie I've ever seen, but it is, wthout a doubt, one of the coolest. For the first time, Tarantino's direction takes the lead over his script and it pays off in the best movie of his career not named Pulp Fiction. Besides, all you needs a sense of humor and a love of Sonny Chiba.
  14. PaulM.
    Oct 10, 2003
    This movie is like a cinematic roller-coaster, and you ride a roller coaster for the thrill of pounding down a track at breakneck speeds and for the spray of adrenals...in that it succeeds majestically...to require this movie to do anything else is to shortchange it...Bravo Quentin...this baby rocks at 90 miles an hour...
  15. Uter
    Nov 20, 2003
    The plot is very simple, but the style and action are superb.
  16. NoelT.
    Oct 13, 2003
    Well you have to realize that we have only seen half of the movie. Can't judge Citizen Kane, or Casablanca if you only saw half of it. God forbid they have an intermission. Imagine what Akira Kurosawa's film Seven Samuri would be like if it was released today. Would they break it into 3 sections. Seven Samuri Vol. 1, 2 and 3? Or would distributor really want people to sit though Well you have to realize that we have only seen half of the movie. Can't judge Citizen Kane, or Casablanca if you only saw half of it. God forbid they have an intermission. Imagine what Akira Kurosawa's film Seven Samuri would be like if it was released today. Would they break it into 3 sections. Seven Samuri Vol. 1, 2 and 3? Or would distributor really want people to sit though a 4.5 hour long movie with a 15 min. intermission? My only complaint is I wish they would show what "the bride" was while a-mother-to-be and a-wife-to -be. So we can great an idea of how good her life was and how bad it got so quickly. If they did this more people would be cheering for black mambo. Who knows they might have some of that in the other half. Go see it now. Expand
  17. Ishii
    Oct 13, 2003
    Yes, my last name is Ishii - same as O-ren Ishii in the film. Anyhoo, this movie kicked ass. It's all about Uma Thurman going around ruining everyone's sh.t. 100% great entertainment.
  18. JoshuaW.
    Oct 14, 2003
    Forget Uma Thurman's quest for justice, Tarantino is back with his own vengeance in Kill Bill. Every year there's mabye 5-10 films that are worth while, and only about half of those are cinematic gems at that. Kill Bill is certainly one of those gems.
  19. JaredS.
    Oct 15, 2003
    Wow! This truly is a movie buffs wet dream! I wouldn't have seen this movie four times in three days if I didn't mean that, and I'm prime to see it again. Volume 2 now has a lot to live up to, but you know as well as I do, that Tarantino can pull it off. Bravo, QT! Continue your legendary career with whatever you'd like, because if this is the result, long live the king!
  20. Orpheusfix
    Oct 17, 2003
    If anything else, a celebration of pop culture. (One of the guys below gave the movie a 0 after walking out on it 30 minutes into the movie. That's kind of stupid ain't it? Why not see the entire movie and then rate it for what one thought it should deserve.)
  21. IntroducingTheHardlineAccordingToGilbertMulroneyca
    Oct 17, 2003
    Pure. There's a one word review for you: pure. Not morally pure, or spiritually pure, cinematically pure. Like 2001: A Space Oddysey, Kill Bill is not about things, it is things. At first glance, it's a little style-over-substanceish, but delve deeper and it's clear that it's ALL style, to the extent that the style IS the substance. It must be said, though, that this Pure. There's a one word review for you: pure. Not morally pure, or spiritually pure, cinematically pure. Like 2001: A Space Oddysey, Kill Bill is not about things, it is things. At first glance, it's a little style-over-substanceish, but delve deeper and it's clear that it's ALL style, to the extent that the style IS the substance. It must be said, though, that this makes for something of a cocktail in too small a glass, with so many tricks and stylistic doodahs going off at the same time. QT is palpably drunk on filmmaking - but it still works. Think of it as his 1941, only better. Besides, the director of 1941's gone on to do alright for himself. It's really difficult to recommend Kill Bill - critics in this country have savaged it, partly because they miss the point, but also because it's a very Marmite sort of film - so the best I can say is, if you like this sort of thing, this sort of thing you like. And even if you don't, it's brilliant, in its own slightly psychotic way. Expand
  22. LuisC.
    Oct 28, 2003
    This and Lost in Translation are thest films of the year so far. Bring on ROTK!
  23. SeanC.
    Oct 9, 2003
    A really awesome, unbalanced, bloody, mean, funny, twisted, cliched, sexy, awkward, ice cold, boundary-pushing, ass-kicking action flick. Expect Jackie Brown and prepare for disappoinment. Expect kung fu and get your socks rocked off.
  24. ArtherS.
    Oct 9, 2003
    This movie is awesome. And I shoud know, cuz I'm really smart at judging these kind of things! It is awesome. What can I say!
  25. JerryT.
    Oct 9, 2003
    A little too gory for me but a pretty cool movie.
  26. Radical
    Jan 16, 2004
    Its worth noting how strong people's reactions are to this film. One one hand, critics say they left feeling nothing and claim the film succeeds in being powerfully emotive; however, they are quick to exhibit extremely harsh reactions to the film. While the film celebrates violence on screen, it appears to be no greater than the violence of the critic's tongue. With that being Its worth noting how strong people's reactions are to this film. One one hand, critics say they left feeling nothing and claim the film succeeds in being powerfully emotive; however, they are quick to exhibit extremely harsh reactions to the film. While the film celebrates violence on screen, it appears to be no greater than the violence of the critic's tongue. With that being said, I feel that there is a trend of expectations developing in our critical eye that is damaging to what film represents: film does not need a social agenda -- by requiring it to satisfy your own personal belief systems, you are sacrificing your ability to objectively analyze and study the art. This is clearly a powerful film, with gorgeous imagery, fantastic pacing and tone, and possesses sufficient depth for contemplative and satisfying analysis. Tarentino is a powerful visionary, director auture of our day, and his work should be studied within his own context, not yours. Expand
  27. JosephM.
    Jan 8, 2004
    Don't take this movie too seriously and it is a pretty good time. I don't remember ever seeing this much blood in a movie since Charlton Heston turned the waters to blook in The Ten Commandments... This movie is an instant classic in the martial arts genre and I look forward to volume 2!
  28. JohnC.
    Feb 10, 2004
    This movie splits people up. Either you "Get it" or you dont. If you don't, then I feel sorry for you. But if you do, "get it", then this movie will go down as one of the most entertaining, laughable, over the top, crazy movie you will ever see. Its a conundrum of sorts. Its slow, and fast. Its serious and silly. Its shocking and hilarious. What Kill Bill really is... Its art. Its This movie splits people up. Either you "Get it" or you dont. If you don't, then I feel sorry for you. But if you do, "get it", then this movie will go down as one of the most entertaining, laughable, over the top, crazy movie you will ever see. Its a conundrum of sorts. Its slow, and fast. Its serious and silly. Its shocking and hilarious. What Kill Bill really is... Its art. Its visionary. Its a dream brought to life. Its simple yet intriguing. Its mind-bendingly brutal, but its all taken in jest. I have never laughed so much at such over the top silliness, but it held together without losing one ounce of magnetism for the intrigued watcher. Its like nothing you ever seen before, but at the same time, you have probably seen everything within it before. Its a conundrum. And Quentin Tarantino brings together the whole parody of B-movies to a different level. Its a work of sheer brilliance, and it will go down as being one of the greatest cult films ever made. Absolutely brilliant. I just feel sorry for those who don't "Get it"... But then again, who cares about them anyways? Kill Bill is an amazing film, and one that is unique. Expand
  29. RenanB.
    Feb 21, 2004
    As Ebert said in his review, there is not a real story here, but there is storytelling. It's not so deep or intelligent. IT'S PURE FUN. IT'S ABOUT HAVING FUN. If you don't get this, too bad.
  30. S.
    Feb 25, 2004
    I agree with John C on this one... I got it.
  31. TelyS
    Feb 3, 2004
    Tarantino contiues his exploration into the arts of plagerism with his latest. While I'll take any old school Japanese/Hong Kong action film over Kill Bill, Bill is fun in a way that only Q.T. can make it. Ironicly, the best, most original sequence in the film is also the least nessesary, the anime backstory of O-Ren.
  32. MikeN.
    Feb 9, 2004
    Okay, I like great fight scenes as much as most people. Even more than most people, apparently. But enough is enough. After 90 minutes or so, even non-stop action is no longer exciting.
  33. Uter
    Mar 1, 2004
    It's well done, but the plot is ultra simple. I like the style though.
  34. MichaelC.
    Apr 14, 2004
    Wow! I haven't been this excited about an action movie in a long time. Kill Bill is an extraordinary take on the martial arts action style. It does what last year's Matrix films attempt to do for fight scenes. The scenes are choreographed brilliantly, and the use of cinematography is exceptional. However, as no movie is perfect, it would be unfair to all the movies I bash to not Wow! I haven't been this excited about an action movie in a long time. Kill Bill is an extraordinary take on the martial arts action style. It does what last year's Matrix films attempt to do for fight scenes. The scenes are choreographed brilliantly, and the use of cinematography is exceptional. However, as no movie is perfect, it would be unfair to all the movies I bash to not point out Kill Bill's faults. Dialog in parts of the movie is severely lacking (especially for Tarantino), and the concept of the movie itself (a tale of revenge) is painfully linear. The movie seems to move along as expected with no real twists, even though there are plenty of shocking parts. Overall, I think Vol. 1 did a great job setting up this story. Tarantino has said that we "really haven't seen anything, yet," so I'm incredibly anxious to see where Vol. 2 takes us. I recommend this film for anyone who was a fan of Tarantino's previous work, along with anyone longing for a film to return substance to the action genre after last year's crapfest. Expand
  35. KevinU.
    Apr 21, 2004
    This movie was outstanding, the connection Vol. 1 makes with Vol. 2 makes the two movies perfectly come together, as a martial artist myself I do work with the Katana and it was put to good use in this fantastic movie. The blood spray is just QT's way of showing his famous dark comedy and some people don't understand that. It's supposed to be over done.
  36. Rus-T
    May 1, 2004
    I love reading the comments from those who don't get Tarantino...giggle!
  37. wongit
    Mar 12, 2005
    I didnt like this film when i first saw this film. i had to watch the movie twice in order to tottaly enjoy it and it is a great film. Its violent fun that is definetly a classic. Tarantino does it again.
  38. jonnyreb
    Jun 2, 2006
    Kill Bill is the best movie I have ever seen! The story is simple as hell but the amazing style, the humour, the characters, and amazing scene after amazing scene left me in awe. I dont think I could describe how jaw-dropping this movie is in an essay let a lone a paragraph.
  39. LyndellK.
    Sep 19, 2007
    This Movie Not only is set up in classic QT world with vibrant colors and Crazy places and characters but it is also one of the best filmed movies I've ever seen. And not too mention the end left me out of my seat begging that Vol. 2 would be right after it one of the best movies EVER!
  40. WAKOJAKO
    Oct 11, 2003
    Worth watching if you can stand the wall-to-wall violence, at times so excessive that it's just ludicrous. Some action sequences are so lengthy they begin to test your patience. But in the end, it's Uma Thurman's total commitment to the role of the vengeful Bride that saves this picture from tilting into innanity. Boo to the director for cheating the audience out of the Worth watching if you can stand the wall-to-wall violence, at times so excessive that it's just ludicrous. Some action sequences are so lengthy they begin to test your patience. But in the end, it's Uma Thurman's total commitment to the role of the vengeful Bride that saves this picture from tilting into innanity. Boo to the director for cheating the audience out of the second half and to the greedy producers who agreed to release this film in two parts. One thing for sure: I will see Kill Bill 2, but not until it arrives at the dollar cinema. Expand
  41. NinjaMafia
    Oct 11, 2003
    Kill Bill has been one of my most looked forward to movies of the year. I have to be honest with everyone now, I have never seen Pulp Fiction, Resevoir Dogs, or Jackie Brown, all I knew is that once I saw an interview with Quinten Tarintino and he seemd to be more than obsessed with kung-fu movies. When I heard he was making a kung-fu movie, I thought it was going to be a fantastic movie, Kill Bill has been one of my most looked forward to movies of the year. I have to be honest with everyone now, I have never seen Pulp Fiction, Resevoir Dogs, or Jackie Brown, all I knew is that once I saw an interview with Quinten Tarintino and he seemd to be more than obsessed with kung-fu movies. When I heard he was making a kung-fu movie, I thought it was going to be a fantastic movie, and I wasn't disappointed. The movie is about a bride (whos name is cleverly beeped out whenever somebody says it) who, during her wedding, is brutally slain along with the rest of the wedding party, however, the bride is still alive. She wakes up four years later out for revenge. I don't want to reaveal any more of the story because it was actually suprisingly good. The characters in the movie each have their own very distinct personality, except for the Yakuza henchmen. The action in this movie is really good, which also kind of surprised me because American movies don't seem to have a lot of good kung-fu action in them. This movie is also extremely bloody. Limbs fly, heads roll on the ground, blood gushes unrealistically from almost every stab a character gets. Actually, the blood kind of gives this movie some humor. The unrealistic, 20 gallons of blood from a chopped off arm is laughably cartoonish. But it doesn't really affect the dark mood of the film. Oh and also, the soundtrack to this movie is awesome. I usually don't care for songs in movies because they are usually dull and unmemorable. This movie had songs that got stuck in my head. My only big complaint about this movie is that i have to wait 4 and a half months to see the rest of it. This has got to be the best movie released this year and is definitely going to be one that I will re-watch over and over agin. I haven't even mentioned the anime part of the movie. There is so much going for this movie that I could rant on for weeks. However, people will be disappointed if they walk into this movie expecting one of Quintens other film, from what I've heard, Kill Bill is drastically different from all of his other films. Expand
  42. DavidT.
    Oct 11, 2003
    This movie was breathtaking. Every aspect of it was incredible: from the lighting to the camera angles and the set design to the makeup. At times the movie became a bit over the top and/or drawn out in length of its scenes, it is still a very satisfying experience and a pleasure to watch. Amazing acting!!
  43. SmellySkunk
    Nov 10, 2003
    The most enjoyable movie I've seen this year and I've seen a few! It knocks Reloaded into a cocked hat and then some. A, so far, simple story, a motivated main character and varied styles of film all combine to make an absorbing experience which, once again, shows Tarantino on top of his game. Now what am I going to do until Vol. 2 comes out ?
  44. SteveC.
    Oct 11, 2003
    Other folks have already commented about the violence, but this is to be expected from a QT movie. What is done is style, flash, and a certain tone that is QT at his best. As an interesting aside... I tend to watch sword fighting carefully as I have had a small bit of training. Many of the "moves" Uma makes with her sword are pure Iaido (sword martial art) and she does the moves very Other folks have already commented about the violence, but this is to be expected from a QT movie. What is done is style, flash, and a certain tone that is QT at his best. As an interesting aside... I tend to watch sword fighting carefully as I have had a small bit of training. Many of the "moves" Uma makes with her sword are pure Iaido (sword martial art) and she does the moves very well. She was very well coached. (For example, many of the flurishes after a fight are moves to shake the blood off the blade.) This is a show with at least as much violence as Pulp Fiction, but frankly, I see a much better style and cinematography with this movie. Expand
  45. IanE.
    Oct 11, 2003
    If you are a fan of hongkong cinema you will like this movie. It's a shame so many critics bashed a brilliant film because it went over their heads. Kudos to those critics who got it.
  46. WhitneyP.
    Nov 12, 2003
    Unadulterated Garbage! Don't waste your time.
  47. HoraceA.
    Nov 18, 2003
    Kill Me for being dumb enough to pay for this crap.
  48. GaryF.
    Nov 19, 2003
    Nobita, with all due respect you had to be watching something other than what I was seeing? This movie tried to be another Pulp Fiction and failed miserably. All it is about is blood and gore. I failed to see one redeeming quality in this violent piece of trash. Sorry, but let's say we agree to disagree. Avoid at all costs.
  49. FatTony
    Oct 10, 2003
    This movie was amazing. The way tarantino was able to take the old chinese, japanese and american grindhouse film styles and mix them into one beautiful 2 part film is beyond me.
  50. HowardD.
    Nov 22, 2003
    One of the sickest piece of drek I have ever witnessed. Too much blood and violence for my taste.
  51. JackR.
    Nov 24, 2003
    The majority of viewers at this website seemed to love this flick. I'm sorry but this was one of the sickest pieces of trash I have ever witnessed. I just don't get how this movie could be received as well as you seem to think it is. QT may have reached cult status but this is crapola.
  52. LindaL.
    Nov 26, 2003
    Who let this dog out? What a piece of crap. I almost stepped in it running out of theater. Trailer trash.
  53. KeisariJ.
    Nov 20, 2003
    And I thought Tarantino was out of aces, but he managed to draw one out of his sleeve, again! To me, Tarantino is above the God himself. I can´t believe that this was only a vol.1, can´t wait the second one!
  54. TarekR.
    Nov 28, 2003
    This one bad piece of crap movie. Almost as bad as Madonna in Swept Away. Quentin better get back to the real world man if you know what I mean? This ain't no Pulp Fiction if you get my drift. This sucked big time.
  55. PennelopeT.
    Nov 28, 2003
    Simply hated every bloody minute of this terrible film. QT disappear forever.
  56. TimAlen
    Nov 29, 2003
    At last a good action movie! Tarantino did a good job; keep it up!
  57. S.Y.
    Oct 12, 2003
    This movie was for us...not them it rocked. period.
  58. ChanningS.
    Oct 13, 2003
    Incredible movie. QT at his best. Near perfect. Mesmerizing. I agree completely with Roger Ebert. The critics that don't get it, don't get it. Some kind of wonderful. Don't read reviews, just see it.
  59. LeonC.
    Oct 13, 2003
    Anyone who doesn't like this movie simply does not understand it. it is brilliant in every sense of film, and it is about time a director makes as ballsy a move as this one and really trademark a movie as his own. anyone who does not like this film has either not done their homework or has no taste whatsoever.
  60. Ventrue
    Oct 15, 2003
    To put it simply: it's crap! It looks and sounds good, but has a weak story, and no character development. If I wanted to see that much blood I'd watch House of a Thousand Corpses, or another movie of that effect. I felt bored when I watched it. Hell, Underworld, 28 Days Later, or Reloaded had more depth to it than that film. Wow. I really have nothing else to say about it To put it simply: it's crap! It looks and sounds good, but has a weak story, and no character development. If I wanted to see that much blood I'd watch House of a Thousand Corpses, or another movie of that effect. I felt bored when I watched it. Hell, Underworld, 28 Days Later, or Reloaded had more depth to it than that film. Wow. I really have nothing else to say about it except: it's crap! I will give it props on the action sequences, but thats it.... Expand
  61. Fantasy
    Oct 16, 2003
    Without a doubt the most violent piece of garbage I have ever seen. I walked out after 30 minutes. There was no character development and the human indifference to the blood and gore left me speechless. Quite frankly, I am mystified that Tarentino has been called a genius when movies like this are nothing more than complete and utter trash. These professional critics have to be on the Without a doubt the most violent piece of garbage I have ever seen. I walked out after 30 minutes. There was no character development and the human indifference to the blood and gore left me speechless. Quite frankly, I am mystified that Tarentino has been called a genius when movies like this are nothing more than complete and utter trash. These professional critics have to be on the take to rate this movie as highly as they have. It is a total sham. Avoid at all costs. Expand
  62. WendyS.
    Nov 6, 2003
    Please tell me what was so good about this trash. Too violent for my taste. Hope QT disappears for another six years. Way overrated to suit my taste. Pure Crappola.
  63. BonnieD.
    Nov 6, 2003
    Tried to understand the satire but all I witnessed was needless gore and violence. Can't understand how people try to compare this to his great work Pulp Fiction. This misses by a mile. Avoid!
  64. Triniman
    Oct 16, 2003
    Ultra-violent and cartoonish, this is an hommage to some of Tarantino's favorite cult films and directors. Uma Thurman slices and dices her way through tons of bad guys with her trusty Japanese sword, deftly defying gravity to her advantage. At times, this seems like "Crouching Tiger" for the MTV generation. The violence is so over the top that it really is funny, especially when Ultra-violent and cartoonish, this is an hommage to some of Tarantino's favorite cult films and directors. Uma Thurman slices and dices her way through tons of bad guys with her trusty Japanese sword, deftly defying gravity to her advantage. At times, this seems like "Crouching Tiger" for the MTV generation. The violence is so over the top that it really is funny, especially when limbs and heads get severed and there's geyers of blood spurting forth. Part of the film is animie that explains the origin of the Lucy Liu character. It is highly stylized in its own right and commands your complete attention. Some of the non-action scenes are too long and drawn out, which is this film's biggest flaw. If you're looking for complex plot and thought-provoking dialogue, look elsewhere. If you're looking for mindless action, this is about as stylized and as funny as it gets. Blows away films that take themself too seriously, like the Blade series. Look for part II next year. Expand
  65. RobF.
    Oct 16, 2003
    Some scenes run on a bit too long, but this is easily the most kinetic and exuberant film to come down the pike in quite some time. Granted, those looking for a coherent plot or compelling characters are likely to be disappointed, but they aren't likely to attend anyway. This movie isn't about anything but Tarantino's love of movies and his marvelous command of cinematic Some scenes run on a bit too long, but this is easily the most kinetic and exuberant film to come down the pike in quite some time. Granted, those looking for a coherent plot or compelling characters are likely to be disappointed, but they aren't likely to attend anyway. This movie isn't about anything but Tarantino's love of movies and his marvelous command of cinematic style. It's expensive, glossy trash, but it's terrific. Expand
  66. RobertH.
    Oct 17, 2003
    To see you people raving and for me to find it offensive and trash makes me wonder if we live on the same planet. You call this entertainment? If you do I suggest we bring back feeding humans to the lions. Absolutely horrible movie without any redeeming qualities.
  67. AlanB.
    Nov 7, 2003
    I was expecting a lot from this movie, being a fan of Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Curdled-(remember Bruce Willis' morbidly curious cab driver? Curdled is her story.) I guess what I like about Tarantino's other films is that they are raw, clever, and depict realistic human reactions to extraordinary (and violent) events. Kill Bill is not raw or realistic. It's like a I was expecting a lot from this movie, being a fan of Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Curdled-(remember Bruce Willis' morbidly curious cab driver? Curdled is her story.) I guess what I like about Tarantino's other films is that they are raw, clever, and depict realistic human reactions to extraordinary (and violent) events. Kill Bill is not raw or realistic. It's like a Bugs Bunny cartoon. Very violent, yes, but in a ridiculous way- almost like Monty Python and the Holy Grail's Black Knight. Uma Thurman is invincible, she takes on 100 men at once with only a sword. The film is set in modern times, but not one of these bad guys has a gun! The big fight scene is like a video game. The mindless drones keep coming but only one will attack at a time. This film is not really clever, either, except for the very end- a plot twist which prepares you for Volume 2. When Pulp Fiction is on cable and I happen to catch it flipping through the channels, it always sucks me in no matter how many times I've seen it. You guys know what I mean. Kill Bill is just not that type of movie. Perhaps if you go in knowing that Kill Bill takes place in a stylized, martial arts fantasy world, and suspend your disbelief, you will enjoy this movie for its action, great soundtrack, and severed body parts. Collapse
  68. BrianS.
    Oct 17, 2003
    Loved every minute of it.
  69. C.Meyer
    Oct 17, 2003
    WONDERFUL movie!! truly unique and inventive and the Soundtrack just kicks!!! Great performances/wondeful cinematography ... there's nothing NOT to like in this movie!!!
  70. MacJustice
    Oct 19, 2003
    An utterly brilliant exercise in style. Those complaining of the violence are ignoring the part of their humanity that thirsts for chaos and destruction. Every element of this movie, from the soundtrack, to the cinematography, the editing, costume and set design, and acting of this movie is done just so, to the point where it is like a well crafted samurai sword, folded upon itself over An utterly brilliant exercise in style. Those complaining of the violence are ignoring the part of their humanity that thirsts for chaos and destruction. Every element of this movie, from the soundtrack, to the cinematography, the editing, costume and set design, and acting of this movie is done just so, to the point where it is like a well crafted samurai sword, folded upon itself over and over until it reaches perfection. This movie may not try to teach you any life lessons, but it is a visceral, sublime experience in pure cinematic enjoyment. Expand
  71. JohnD.
    Oct 19, 2003
    Ok Film, Reminded me of the kung fu movies I watched when I was 10. But even they did not lay it on that thick. If they had one more cutesy film angle in the movie I would have left the theater. The plot was as thin as the samuri sword Uma used to decapate half the cast of the movie. I figured out the supposed shocker at the end of the movie 15 minutes into it and only continued to watch Ok Film, Reminded me of the kung fu movies I watched when I was 10. But even they did not lay it on that thick. If they had one more cutesy film angle in the movie I would have left the theater. The plot was as thin as the samuri sword Uma used to decapate half the cast of the movie. I figured out the supposed shocker at the end of the movie 15 minutes into it and only continued to watch to see how long they would wait to reveal it. Expand
  72. Dr.Steve
    Oct 19, 2003
    Exciting at times, dull and predictable at others. Several things lost me in this movie. I don't cotton to characters doing physically impossible things (note some of Uma's footwork and jumps in the restaurant bloodbath scene) unless they are superheroes or otherwise endowed with special powers (e.g., Jedi Knights). I'm a fan of horror flicks to some extent, so gore Exciting at times, dull and predictable at others. Several things lost me in this movie. I don't cotton to characters doing physically impossible things (note some of Uma's footwork and jumps in the restaurant bloodbath scene) unless they are superheroes or otherwise endowed with special powers (e.g., Jedi Knights). I'm a fan of horror flicks to some extent, so gore doesn't get to me too much; but I found the excessive bloodshed to be numbing rather than shocking. I was also left with a feeling that the story could have been told more economically; I can't imagine how QT thought he would need two films to tell this story. Expand
  73. Bob
    Oct 19, 2003
    Kill Bill? They should kill anyone who recommending this garbage. This is neither art of entertainment. Just blood and gore.
  74. ChrisD.
    Oct 19, 2003
    Anyone who cannot see what he is doing is this film needs to take the critic's dunce cap off and enjoy an excellent homage.
  75. ValentinS.
    Oct 19, 2003
    Tarantino shows the violence in this movie without emotion. There's nearly never a sign to understand: Was this bloodbath now meant to be funny or not? So all i can tell you: Leaving the cinema i had ambivalent feelings.. the dialogues weren't really satisfying, but on the other hand its style, its coolness, its sound was brilliant.
  76. JohnQ.
    Dec 1, 2003
    This is a movie in which they should kill Adam Luther, Robert Plant and Thomas K. all of whom hate Americans. Now that would be a wonderful satire that QT could be proud of? As for Kill Bill it sucked as much as the characters cited.
  77. Trevor
    Oct 21, 2003
    A perfect martial arts film. Just the kind of exuberant, exhiliarating, preposterous film you could hope for from Tarantino and then some. I haven't had so much fun in a movie theater in many years, maybe ever. Kill Bill is a genuine work of art that pays wonderful tribute to such classic samurai films as Yojimbo and Sanjuro, just to name a few. The soundtrack also perfectly matched A perfect martial arts film. Just the kind of exuberant, exhiliarating, preposterous film you could hope for from Tarantino and then some. I haven't had so much fun in a movie theater in many years, maybe ever. Kill Bill is a genuine work of art that pays wonderful tribute to such classic samurai films as Yojimbo and Sanjuro, just to name a few. The soundtrack also perfectly matched the film and I think Tarantino did a fine job selecting the music. All in all, Kill Bill is practially flawless. It's a masterpiece. Expand
  78. KobeeH.
    Oct 20, 2003
    Tarantino Masterpiece. Leaving Kill Bill, there was a sense of awe at what I had just seen. It is truly unbelievable that this is only Quentin's 4th movie! I mean even some of the best directors like Spielberg and Scorcese had warm up periods before blowing the audiences away. Mr. Tarantino did it right out the gate with Reservoir Dogs, and he keeps at it. Kill Bill has so many Tarantino Masterpiece. Leaving Kill Bill, there was a sense of awe at what I had just seen. It is truly unbelievable that this is only Quentin's 4th movie! I mean even some of the best directors like Spielberg and Scorcese had warm up periods before blowing the audiences away. Mr. Tarantino did it right out the gate with Reservoir Dogs, and he keeps at it. Kill Bill has so many styles thrown in that you would think it would have to be horrible. But it's all executed so damn well that you're just amazed! He has created an live-action anime. But more importantly, an excellent, engaging revenge story. He is a genius. He is having a full-blown love affair with movies, and it shows. From crime stories to paying homage to a slew of asian films, he is an incredible visionary. An incredible artist. Trust me. See Kill Bill:Volume One and join me in frothing over the release of Volume Two in Feburary. Expand
  79. TokerC.
    Oct 20, 2003
    This movie is a pilgrimage to Tarantino's holy land, a stylistic visual orgasm defining his perception of art. Tarantino marched to Mecca, samurai sword in hand and fulfilled a cinematic dream, filming an ode to kungfu masterpieces in an in-your-face theme park thrill ride effort. The film does what it?s supposed to do, and nothing more. The film is what it?s intended to be and This movie is a pilgrimage to Tarantino's holy land, a stylistic visual orgasm defining his perception of art. Tarantino marched to Mecca, samurai sword in hand and fulfilled a cinematic dream, filming an ode to kungfu masterpieces in an in-your-face theme park thrill ride effort. The film does what it?s supposed to do, and nothing more. The film is what it?s intended to be and nothing less. Tarantino?s genius is accomplishing his vision with perfect precision, and timing, allowing the audience to experience his creativity on his level. Anything else would have been a perverted disaster. Expand
  80. Mike
    Oct 20, 2003
    What an empty, vile piece of garbage. (spit). Although I am not a violent man, I found myself constantly distracted by a curious desire to punch Quentin Tarantino in the mouth, hard. That would be some *entertaining* violence, with motivation, plot, excitement, and rewarding character development. I'd even let his kids watch me do it.
  81. ConnnieR.
    Dec 10, 2003
    Really a poor effort by Mr. Tarentino. Extremely disappointing.
  82. DrewH.
    Dec 1, 2003
    Saw this in less than a theater filled with about 25% capacity. Could not believe how violent it was. The audience started walking out about 30 minutes into the film. I stayed until the bitter end or should I say to be continued. But it was amazing how few of the original audience remained as it was a steady trickle of people leaving the theater. The only thing I can say is that this Saw this in less than a theater filled with about 25% capacity. Could not believe how violent it was. The audience started walking out about 30 minutes into the film. I stayed until the bitter end or should I say to be continued. But it was amazing how few of the original audience remained as it was a steady trickle of people leaving the theater. The only thing I can say is that this movie is not for everyone and will only appeal to the hardcore QT audience who believe whatever he turns out is great. Personally, I thouht it was very bad. Expand
  83. TomB.
    Oct 20, 2003
    I've gotta admit, when I first heard that Quentin Tarantino was a big fan of the Hong Kong martial arts action flicks (they don't even deserve to be called "films") I was a little shocked~You know, sort of like if you read about a world class chef being crazy about 7/11 nachos? So of course when I heard that "Kill Bill" was going to be his homage to those same sorry-ass flicks I I've gotta admit, when I first heard that Quentin Tarantino was a big fan of the Hong Kong martial arts action flicks (they don't even deserve to be called "films") I was a little shocked~You know, sort of like if you read about a world class chef being crazy about 7/11 nachos? So of course when I heard that "Kill Bill" was going to be his homage to those same sorry-ass flicks I was ready to skip it. But you know what? He somehow managed to take the elements of that sad and empty-headed genre and transform it into a fun and exciting experience that someone other than a pimply faced nerd could sink his teeth into. Uma Thurman is wonderful as are the other players and the music which accompanies each scene becomes a character in and of itself. Don't believe what you hear about how brutal the action is either; There is indeed a lot of violence but it's done in such an over-the-top manner that it takes on the kind of cringing comical feel of Monty Python and there's no way any intelligent adult could take it seriously. Does it rate up there with "Pulp Fiction"? Well...maybe not quite...but darn close! Expand
  84. Marc-o
    Oct 22, 2003
    This film was the daddy!!! A few points 1: Too Short i could easily of done the whole 3 hours 2: The best Friday night i have spent at the cinema 3: Don't know about you guys but i'm going to see that again.
  85. TedP.
    Dec 2, 2003
    Personally I walked out half way through as did most of the audience. Whoever liked this sh.t must have seen a different movie from what I was watching?
  86. WendyT.
    Dec 27, 2003
    This movie if you want to call it that was pure crap.
  87. CareyG.
    Dec 4, 2003
    There are no adjectives to describe other than this was pure sh.t. Too much violence, no plot, just a meandering mess of a movie. Yes, I was very much looking forward to a QT masterpiece, but instead, this was nothing more than the usual commerical garbage that Hollywood churns up capitalizing on a name. I agree QT should retire if this is the best he can do?
  88. Leslie
    Oct 24, 2003
    Very violent trash without any redeeming qualities. Cult status makes this a hit with some twisted minds. If killing mothers in front of 4-year old daughters is entertainment that there is something wrong with me? I don't want to hear the crap that this is a satire. Pure unadulterated vile trash.
  89. PaulaW.
    Dec 5, 2003
    Terribly disappointing effort.
  90. SongK.
    Oct 27, 2003
    A movie that pleases you all over. There is so much action, comedy, gore, and fighting. This movie deserves way more. The low rating are from people who have a hard time seeing humor and get offended easily. You have to see this movie if you love fighting and gory movies.
  91. JackT.
    Oct 28, 2003
    Trailer Trash. I hated it.
  92. EricP.
    Oct 28, 2003
    Stylized violence and a minimal script with the Tarantino charm. Very watchable.
  93. MarcK.
    Oct 29, 2003
    Until the Lucy Liu and crew versus Uma fight scenes, I thought this may have been one of the worst pictures of the year. I'm no prude, but the violence was excessive, and showing daughters watching their mommies being murdered is offensive. I loved Pulp Fiction, but apparently it was just a fluke. Unfortunately, Tarantino has bought into all the adulation. This movie is a pretentious Until the Lucy Liu and crew versus Uma fight scenes, I thought this may have been one of the worst pictures of the year. I'm no prude, but the violence was excessive, and showing daughters watching their mommies being murdered is offensive. I loved Pulp Fiction, but apparently it was just a fluke. Unfortunately, Tarantino has bought into all the adulation. This movie is a pretentious piece of crap. Expand
  94. JayK.
    Oct 29, 2003
    Don't rate this until you've seen the second volume. That said, this movie Kicks Ass.
  95. UnzippedZach
    Oct 31, 2003
    Love it or hate it. loved it because it went places no one ever dares/wants to go. and thats something you dont see everyday in a movie. and so i gave this film a perfect ten because it offend's people and carries a great big set of balls.
  96. D.S.
    Oct 6, 2003
    Was far better than critics seem to be giving it credit for. The action was brilliant and it was just an all out fun movie to go to.
  97. NicolasO.
    Oct 9, 2003
    Quentin's back, and he's in shape like never. This movie rocks, and it's the best I've ever seen.
  98. DetroitConnection
    Jan 16, 2004
    Same old same old BS about nothing. The continuation will attract about 1/2 of the same QT fans who went to see this garbage thinking it would be another Pulp Fiction. Sorry, but this is all about making money for QT. Terribly disjointed poor excuse for a movie.
  99. RachelW.
    Jan 17, 2004
    Just abominable. The less said the better.
  100. WaltD.
    Jan 24, 2004
    Couldn't agree more with those who despised this film. It was a waste of time and money. The sequel or should I say the continuation will attract about two-thirds of those diehard Quentin fans who watched the first part of this dreck. There is nothing to see. Avoid.

1. Reviewed by: Jim Agnew
    A hyper-violent, hyper-gory, kung-fu grindhouse flick. And there’s nothing at all wrong with that.
  2. Is Kill Bill a homage to great Asian action movies? Yes. Is Tarantino trying to outdo his cherished masters (on a budget that dwarfs their films)? Of course. Is there any other point of any of this? Let's see "Vol. 2."
    An incomplete movie, artlessly cleft in the middle. Cinema interruptus.