Kill Bill: Vol. 1

8.0

1. Feb 23, 2012
    I like volume 2 more then volume 1 but it is my favourite film!
  2. Aug 27, 2010
    This movie rocks!! Tarantino brilliantly directs this tale of revenge, honor, blood, action, drama, and kung fu!! Its not for everyone, but I highly recommend it to fans of Tarantino and kung fu!!
  3. Dec 14, 2012
    What do u get when u fuse anime-esque characters with interesting yet ultimately mediocre fight scenes that have been done to death in decades of Chinese Wu-Shia films and mix it all with 70's martial arts music and artstyle all packaged in a sloppy plot that acts as merely an excuse for the over-the-top-to-the-point-of-comedic violence? You get Kill Bill Vol 1, the first part ofWhat do u get when u fuse anime-esque characters with interesting yet ultimately mediocre fight scenes that have been done to death in decades of Chinese Wu-Shia films and mix it all with 70's martial arts music and artstyle all packaged in a sloppy plot that acts as merely an excuse for the over-the-top-to-the-point-of-comedic violence? You get Kill Bill Vol 1, the first part of essentially an elaborate revenge, murderous rampage plan of the so-called ex-killer, 'The Bride' Kiddo. In many respects, the violence in some aspects overshoots its intended artistic form and becomes rather disturbing, even for a fully-grown 22 yo male like myself who indulges often in gory video games. Uma Thurman is brilliant and some visual cinematography is brilliant. The homage to Chinese Wu-Shia and Japanese Samurai films will provide nostalgia for many (like myself, who is 1/4 Japanese and 3/4 Chinese) while if you're not really into those types of films, you may be disappointed. Kill Bill Vol. 1 is very much just a violent showcase of bloodlust and dismembering fetish, where you will laugh, grimace, cringe and get high all at the same time. Its an experience, an unique one that's not for the faint-hearted. If you're expecting a crime/mafia revenge tale, this is not the film you're after. If you want to watch a single, Caucasian blondie cut her way through dozens of human beings all in great, bloodthirsty detail with the occasional backstory, this is that film. Kill Bill Vol. 1 is not a movie. Its a visual, bloodfest with chaotic martial arts sequences that at times, just dont feel fluid or flow as well as the the major martial arts blockbusters from China or Japan. Save this for those drunken nights where you have ran out of anime to watch (unlikely), manga to read (even more unlikely) or decent games to play (impossible). Expand
  4. Aug 16, 2010
    One of those films that you either love or hate. I personally love it and all its stylistic changes, switching back and forth from a spaghetti western to a samurai revenge film in the matter of minutes. The violence is terrific and most of the time completely hilarious, and the storytelling is brilliant throughout.
  5. Sep 10, 2010
    Two thumbs up for this movie ! Professor Tarantino is a genius ! I first noticed Tarantino's name in Nirvana's album "In Utero"..I love Kurt Cobain also...they are both awesome in art !
  6. May 6, 2013
    Kill Bill is a film where director and writer Quentin Tarantino tries out various techniques, not to see if they work, but simply for his own enjoyment and to boast of his talent for detail, especially when so many of these techniques are used simultaneously, which has created an unforgettable opening of a two part tale.
    Uma Thurman stars as a bruised and beaten woman known simply as ‘The
    Uma Thurman stars as a bruised and beaten woman known simply as ‘The Bride’, who is betrayed on her wedding day by her colleagues, a group of dangerous individuals known as the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad, led by Bill (David Carradine).
    When they underestimate The Brides will to live, she eventually awakens from a coma and seeks revenge on those who wronged her, and as the opening quote on the screen suggests, “Revenge is a dish best served cold”, and this woman has nothing but cold and calculated on her mind.
    Tarantino has told the story in a non-linear fashion, using chapters to split up the story, and incorporating various flashbacks of how exactly the wedding scenario played out. But in regards to the bride, she sets off by making a list of those who portrayed her, and its clear from the beginning that this film was always going to be building to something bigger, does it take anything away from the film? Perhaps a little, it certainly stands on its own two feet, but the fact remains that we are introduced to these various characters but only get a handful of them. Saying that, however, the scenes with these particular members of the Deadly Viper group are fantastically gory, anime and exaggerated tone that only Tarantino is capable of pulling off with such gritty means.
    Uma Thurman’s ‘Bride’ is typically cold and in a particular mindset for the film, she delivers her kills with little mercy, perfectly portrayed by Thurman herself, who shows her willingness to throw herself into any role, a junkie in Pulp Fiction and now a deadly assassin.
    The final moments of the film, and the build up are quite remarkable. Tarantino utilises his devices including typical Japanese slashers and even Spagetti Westerns to culminate in a massively colourful fight scene, but the final confrontation between the Bride and O-Ren Ishii (Lucy Liu is a beautifully crafted scene, and a true powerhouse in filmmaking.
    For what it lacks in finalising a story, Kill Bill Vol. 1 certainly makes up for in its unique ability to combine visually striking scenes of blood splattered marvel, and Tarantino is truly at his best.
  7. Alcoholic
    Oct 11, 2003
    Tarantino has done it again!I didn't wait for this movie for nothing. Good mix of great dialogue, unrealism and realism. Go and see it!
  8. John
    Oct 24, 2003
    Kill Bill is absolutely one of the best, if not the best movie out so far this year. The people giving it 0's obviously can't get over the violence factor to appreciate its unique style and all the great detail brought in from the movie genres that this movie is based on. Although gory, it's the kind of over-the-top gore and violence that begins to become desensitizing on Kill Bill is absolutely one of the best, if not the best movie out so far this year. The people giving it 0's obviously can't get over the violence factor to appreciate its unique style and all the great detail brought in from the movie genres that this movie is based on. Although gory, it's the kind of over-the-top gore and violence that begins to become desensitizing on purpose. If Tarantino had wanted, he could have made the gore 100 times more realistic. Instead he is poking fun and paying homage to those kung fu movies, and revenge flicks where all these elements (simple plot, fake gore, no character development) are done just by accident as a result of bad filmmaking. Here it is all done on purpose...some people understand that and can smile, and some people can't. On another note, I really appreciated Uma's performance in this, being someone who has never thought she was that pretty nor talented, but she really shines in this movie. Expand
  9. Roman
    Mar 3, 2004
    To make a movie that does not have any type of plot and still succeeds the way this does shows that QT knows how to tell a story. Of course this movie is violent and if that is the only reason people dont like it, then they are too dumb for this anyways. This is QT's way of showing us the styles of movies that influenced him and most americans dont "get it". This movie is pure fun To make a movie that does not have any type of plot and still succeeds the way this does shows that QT knows how to tell a story. Of course this movie is violent and if that is the only reason people dont like it, then they are too dumb for this anyways. This is QT's way of showing us the styles of movies that influenced him and most americans dont "get it". This movie is pure fun and the young japanese girl steals every scene she is in. This movie is full of violence from beginning to end but it tells it in a way that is articulate and inventive. None of this just shoot the other guys like bad boys or some stupid crap like that. This is storytelling at its best and the anime in the middle proves that most people look at movies and most other things i might add with a narrow point of view and cannot expand their mindset. This was brought to you by a liberal college student with a 3.8 gpa. For the dumbasses who "dont get" this movie, ill take my groceries in plastic please. Expand
  10. DerekM.
    Apr 8, 2004
    The movie rides on pure cinematic flare. It's as if Tarantino is trying to prove that he can make a good movie out of a terrible script. Although I have to be honest. I had a lot of fun watching this film. Most action movies bore me to no end, but not Kill Bill. I sat mesmerized throughout. Overall this movie is just a mindless good time, that you don't have to be mindless to enjoy.
  11. PatC.
    Jun 1, 2004
    Does not have the comprehensive outlook of Pulp Fiction, but the victims are more plentiful and bleed much more profusely. Tarantino fans will quickly realize that he continues to be lucky to have Uma Thurman facilitating his quirky intensity. The plot is basically Thurman's character out to slay five selected persons who wronged her, but she is perfectly willing to dispatch a few Does not have the comprehensive outlook of Pulp Fiction, but the victims are more plentiful and bleed much more profusely. Tarantino fans will quickly realize that he continues to be lucky to have Uma Thurman facilitating his quirky intensity. The plot is basically Thurman's character out to slay five selected persons who wronged her, but she is perfectly willing to dispatch a few hundred of their associates on the fly. As such she does not lend herself well to complex character exposition. But if you buy into the state of affairs inferred upon comatose hospital patients in Texas, you don't care. It's a pathetic story riding a riveting presentation, and as a bonus it solves the age old dilemma of how your average American housewife should break off a knife fight when her daughter comes home from school. Bring on Part II. Expand
  12. JonathanK.
    Jul 14, 2005
    Its obvious most of the people who dont like this movie have a problem with the excessive blood and gore. Well for one you would have to be a moron not to know what you were watching before u went to see the movie. Anybody who saw the previews and truely knows QT work would have known it was going to be excessively violent and it was going to have some disturbing scenes (Resvoir dogs Its obvious most of the people who dont like this movie have a problem with the excessive blood and gore. Well for one you would have to be a moron not to know what you were watching before u went to see the movie. Anybody who saw the previews and truely knows QT work would have known it was going to be excessively violent and it was going to have some disturbing scenes (Resvoir dogs hello?) We saw 2 children watch there parents get murdered, news flash things like that happen everyday thats one of the reasons Kill Bill is a masterpiece and what makes QT so great, he manages to incorperate reality in with exaggerated and sometimes dreamlike non realistic scenes. Kill Bill is like a dream/nightmare with the excessive gore and unrealistic fighting mixed with scenes that are more or less realistic such as the fight with Green in Cali or the inclusion of the Yakuza clan in the story, his technique of not telling the story in chronological order is second to none. Its simply a masterpiece an ode to kung fu, Bruce Lee and anyone that gives it an 0 is a fool a prude or both. Expand
  13. Emmy
    Jul 21, 2005
    I actually couldn't stand Uma Thurman prior to this movie but my respect for her as an actress after seeing her work with Mr. Tarantino on this film has made me a fan of hers. As for the movie itself, I love it. I think the character of Budd best described the entire dilemma of the movie with the line, "that woman deserves her revenge, and we deserve to die...then again, so does I actually couldn't stand Uma Thurman prior to this movie but my respect for her as an actress after seeing her work with Mr. Tarantino on this film has made me a fan of hers. As for the movie itself, I love it. I think the character of Budd best described the entire dilemma of the movie with the line, "that woman deserves her revenge, and we deserve to die...then again, so does she". It's this great bad guy turned protagonist storyline and you find yourself rooting for this character who is actually not a very good person herself. Her redeeming quality is her desire for honest and respectable motherhood, but she is an assassin, or as Bill later puts it, a natural born killer, who enjoys killing people. As for those who said the said there is no humor, you can't tell me that thirteen hours in a truck (with the name "Buck" gave it) spent wiggling her toes to make her legs work didn't induce the smallest of smiles. C'mon now. And as for the "no plot" skeptics, are you kidding? The plotline is classic. Revenge, the most used action plot, and used as it may be, this was an entirely different spin on it. The culmination of kung fu fantasy fighting mixed with good old fashioned western justice makes this action flick a ten for me, and I normally hate gory movies. Expand
  14. VenkatR.
    Dec 25, 2006
    Amazing movie!! Best action movie ever. Quentin tarantino gives a blockbuster.
  15. JayF.
    Feb 19, 2006
    A truly beautiful and violent piece of filmwork from Quentin Tarantino.
  16. JaronR
    Sep 21, 2007
    My favourite movies of all time. Between the over-the-top violence, the brilliant score, and unique (yet firmly stereotypical) characters, you can't lose.
  17. PaulF.
    Nov 26, 2003
    A rating below 7 from people makes me wonder what people want in a movie, or if they even like movies. This one is gold.
  18. Sep 20, 2010
    The one reason that Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is much superb compared with Kill Bill: Vol. 2 is stylistic action with some Asian martial arts style, and entertaining battles.
  19. Nov 8, 2010
    This movie was great! It was funny and action packed! From a blood hungry bride to a Japanese schoolgirl who can wield a ball and chain it was a great movie. Very good storyline too I believe.
  20. Nov 17, 2010
    This and the sequel to this movie are still my favorite movies of ALL TIME. Loved everything about it. yes it's rather gory, but it almost doesn't seem that gory given that's it's given in such a cartoon-ish way, which i Love. I'm utterly amazed that the critics for this movie are so low, i can't get enough of the movie. GREAT fight scenes, and i love how they add little funny tidbitsThis and the sequel to this movie are still my favorite movies of ALL TIME. Loved everything about it. yes it's rather gory, but it almost doesn't seem that gory given that's it's given in such a cartoon-ish way, which i Love. I'm utterly amazed that the critics for this movie are so low, i can't get enough of the movie. GREAT fight scenes, and i love how they add little funny tidbits throughout that story, as well as add quirky sounds throughout the movie, it really keep my attention every single time i watch it. Thumbs WAY up!!! Expand
  21. Dec 4, 2010
    I think this is my favorite Tarantino film. I've seen so many review saying "it was so gory" and the "violence was cheap and fake looking." These comments always make me laugh. You don't get it. This is a homage to kung-fu flicks of the 60's and 70's; they WERE cheap and exaggerated. Most of all they were FUN! If you don't like kung-fu flicks then why on earth would you watch this movie?I think this is my favorite Tarantino film. I've seen so many review saying "it was so gory" and the "violence was cheap and fake looking." These comments always make me laugh. You don't get it. This is a homage to kung-fu flicks of the 60's and 70's; they WERE cheap and exaggerated. Most of all they were FUN! If you don't like kung-fu flicks then why on earth would you watch this movie? This is not a soul searching drama, this is KUNG-FU! Expand
  22. Dec 5, 2010
    My favourite movie ever. Tarantino has delivered a wonderful cult-style film with a fluent mixture of samurai and western style. The one thing I really noticed was how easily it was to sympathize with almost all of the charaters, especially The Bride and Bill
  23. Jun 11, 2012
    With Kill Bill, Quentin Tarantino continues to do what he does best - elevating supposedly "trashy" film genres to credible cinematic fare. Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is packed full of energy and style, with Tarantino's trademark extreme violence and eloquent, machine-gun dialogue. It also has a plethora of film references for cinephiles, mostly from Spaghetti Westerns, Hong Kong martial arts andWith Kill Bill, Quentin Tarantino continues to do what he does best - elevating supposedly "trashy" film genres to credible cinematic fare. Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is packed full of energy and style, with Tarantino's trademark extreme violence and eloquent, machine-gun dialogue. It also has a plethora of film references for cinephiles, mostly from Spaghetti Westerns, Hong Kong martial arts and Samurai films. Tarantino is not afraid to affectionately poke a little fun at the films he is paying homage to, but he never takes it to the extent of parody. Before this film, I'd have never in a million years pictured Uma Thurman as an action heroine, but thankfully Tarantino saw her potential in this role - she is great as the vengeful Bride. It is Lucy Liu and particularly Daryl Hannah who really steal the show performance-wise however, with Liu playing O-Ren Ishii, an honourable assassin-turned-mob leader, and Hannah playing Elle Driver, a considerably less honourable, and far more malicious former assassin. The action is superb, the fight scenes creative, well-choreographed and bloody, notably The Bride's brutal fight with Ishii's schoolgirl bodyguard Gogo (a particularly menacing Chiaki Kuriyama) and the following rather serene and beautiful duel with Ishii herself. Unfortunately, the sequence that links these two truly exceptional one-on-ones, involving The Bride hacking her way through wave after wave of henchmen, is more than a little overblown and excessive - the first dismembered limb and fountain of blood is shocking, but a long succession of the same gets a bit dull. My favourite scene of the whole film was an unexpected Japanese Anime segment that explores O-Ren Ishii's origins, and is an emotionally charged refreshing change of pace from the rest of the film. The first volume of Kill Bill is not only a fine example of a revenge movie that effectively adopts the stylistic conventions of numerous other genres, but it's a brilliant example of exciting film storytelling on its own terms to boot. The extent of Quentin Tarantino's film knowledge is still staggering, and he remains a true auteur gifted in all aspects of filmmaking, from cinematography and editing to screenwriting and selecting tracks for the film's eclectic and brilliant soundtrack. Other than a slightly monotonous grisly extended fight scene, I have incredibly little about Kill Bill Volume 1 to criticise - it's a brilliant, blood-splattered love-letter to the less artistically admired, but no less cinematically important filmmakers, and perfectly sets you up for the stunning conclusion to The Bride's quest for revenge in Vol. 2. Expand
  24. Jul 22, 2011
    Kill Bill isn't supposed to be believable. Kill Bill is: gory, ridiculous, It's pure, unfiltered Tarantino. Kill Bill is: Cool. Brilliant, timeless classic, which is exactly what to expect from Quentin. Vol 1 and 2 are one of those kind of movies that I have to watch every time I see it on cable. It just never gets old.
  25. Aug 8, 2011
    What?? I watched the best fight scene on my whole life this morning. I couldnt stop and watched vol2 too on the same day. It was total blood bath and i loved it. It would be an insult to to give this movie anything but 10 :)
  26. Sep 17, 2011
    whatever you have t say about quentin tarantino, you can't say he doesn't know how to make a good action scene. kill bill is all about the action. it is a roller coaster of action scenes that are worth watching 'till the last drop of blood. the gore was maybe a bit overdone, and if you don't like actio, than the rest won't please you either.
  27. Apr 21, 2013
    The most violent, most sexy and most pure brawler action movie I've seen. The story, like Pulp Fiction, is as minimal as possible; only existing to explain the motives behind all the violence. Uma Thurman looks stunning in this film, and the combat scenes are not only directed with style and perfection, but they're also quite comical at points. It's almost like a Jackie Chan cartoon onlyThe most violent, most sexy and most pure brawler action movie I've seen. The story, like Pulp Fiction, is as minimal as possible; only existing to explain the motives behind all the violence. Uma Thurman looks stunning in this film, and the combat scenes are not only directed with style and perfection, but they're also quite comical at points. It's almost like a Jackie Chan cartoon only with sharp-edged weapons and a lot of uncensored violence. In fact, the amount of blood and gore can seem a bit too much given the cartoony style of the film. But the scenes are top notch. Quentin Tarantino sure knows how to direct action scenes well. The only criticism I have is that there's no real story, so you're just watching a compilation of action scenes rather than a movie experience. Expand
  28. Oct 7, 2011
    Smart, funny, very well performed and directed, a reference in the non-asiatic ninja film history. Like always with Tarantino, all the characters are awesome, and you can do a spin-off with every one of them. Really.
  29. Apr 8, 2013
    Damn, if you where to watch vol 2 before this one (like i did) you would LOVE kill bill vol 1. I can see why people wouldn't like it, seeing how its mostly shooty shooty bangy bangy and very little plot in between (most of this plot is later found in vol 2). But hey, i love it. What can i say, it was one of the first Tarantino movies i ever watched and i love it.
  30. Nov 16, 2011
    I recently just watched both movies for the first time i have to by it self this movie is not much to talk about, but seeing vol.2 the movie was extremely better. Its hard to say whats Quentin Tarantino's best film but this ranks up there.
  31. Mar 4, 2012
    Visually stunning and magnificently gory, KIll Bill Vol. 1 is one of Tarintino's best films in my opinion. After The Bride, Uma Thurman, was betrayed by her boss, Bill, she is slapped in to a coma and left to wonder what happened to her baby. With an interesting story to complement beautiful violence, Kill Bill Vol. 1 is a true masterpiece.
  32. Mar 16, 2012
    Kill Bill Vol. 1 is a masterpiece. Vengeance, justice and kung fu are combined to create an entertaining action film. Uma Thurman plays the main female character who slices her way through bad guys.
  33. Sep 3, 2014
    This is by far my favorite film. It's bloody, highly entertaining, and it is just a fun revenge flick to watch. It is very over-the-top, like most grindhouse films were, which makes it all the more entertaining. I highly recommend this.
  34. WowW
    Nov 14, 2007
    69 critic and 6.2 user average ratings??? Are people mad? Though I liked part 2 better, part 1 is way up there, and both DVDs are excellent transfers. Yes, it's graphic, but the violence isn't senseless, just like all of Tarantino's other films... why is Kill Bill treated so differently? Excellent acting, intricate screenplay, character develop and cinematography make it a 69 critic and 6.2 user average ratings??? Are people mad? Though I liked part 2 better, part 1 is way up there, and both DVDs are excellent transfers. Yes, it's graphic, but the violence isn't senseless, just like all of Tarantino's other films... why is Kill Bill treated so differently? Excellent acting, intricate screenplay, character develop and cinematography make it a must-have. Expand
  35. Oct 7, 2011
    Kill Bill Volume 1 is a gripping tale of betrayal and vengeance whose only real fault is that it isn't as detailed or captivating as Volume 2. Kill Bill tells the story of The Bride who was betrayed and left for dead in a church in El Paso by her once lover Bill and how when she awoke from a 4 year coma all she wanted was revenge. However that is not the only thing going for it as it isKill Bill Volume 1 is a gripping tale of betrayal and vengeance whose only real fault is that it isn't as detailed or captivating as Volume 2. Kill Bill tells the story of The Bride who was betrayed and left for dead in a church in El Paso by her once lover Bill and how when she awoke from a 4 year coma all she wanted was revenge. However that is not the only thing going for it as it is also a satire and a tribute to Kung Fu films in general. Of course Tarantino brings his own directorial flare to the film as well as his signature dialogue but the first volume plays more like a tribute than a film of its own where as the 2nd shines on its own merits and story. If anything it is the concentration on lesser characters like O-Ren Ishii that brings the film down because she is the weakest of the main group of characters (although Lucy Lui's acting is fantastic as always). This concentration seems like a mistake but in a way it does help set up the 2nd by showing how hard it was to take on only 2 of the 5 targets The Bride goes after. However the Hatori Hanzo section of the film does work especially well as it embraces Kung Fu and Samurai film conventions while also allowing for certain comedic elements and also fleshing out The Bride's excellent character before getting into the more action heavy second half of the film. Overall it is one of Tarantino's best works but is just overshadowed by Volume 2 which just does everything that Volume 1 does but does it better. Expand
  36. KyleH.
    Jun 5, 2007
    This was the first Quentin Tarantino movie I have ever seen and I could not stop watching. My eyes were glued to the screen. I was in awe and even the several times after that when I would watch this film everyday while waiting for Volume 2 to be released on DVD. It all just fits together so well with the promise of an excellent second half. This is a must see!
  37. NickD.
    Jun 17, 2005
    It's so sad we didn't get to reading the lowest scoring critic review. What would they have to say for themselves? If one cannot see through the "gory" (blood squirting in fountains, cartoony if you ask me) spots and see how incredibly stylish this movie is... Every single moment, every single chopped off arm is full of tension, action, and even humor! Incredible how he combines It's so sad we didn't get to reading the lowest scoring critic review. What would they have to say for themselves? If one cannot see through the "gory" (blood squirting in fountains, cartoony if you ask me) spots and see how incredibly stylish this movie is... Every single moment, every single chopped off arm is full of tension, action, and even humor! Incredible how he combines those key elements harmoniously, fused with great acting and strangely enough believable characters... It's the Bohemian Rhapsody of movies; something of everything, but never coming short. Why do some people see a 10 for a given opinion as if that person is a fanboy? This is one of the movies that's worth it. Expand
  38. Sep 9, 2012
    A unique blend of movie genres with a superb choice of music and a lot of small hints at some well known pictures make of Kill Bill Vol. 1 a must-watch position. Though I'm not a fan of some other Tarantino movies, I enjoyed this one thoroughly and recommend it to anyone.
  39. LavanyaJ
    Jun 9, 2005
    Bang bang he shot me down bang bang that awful sound the best campy movie ever! its a classic tarantino!
  40. ChadH.
    May 10, 2004
    Best movie of the year for SURE! i cant wait for the second one.
  41. marshallm
    Oct 20, 2005
    Hands down, one of my favorites, but kill bill vol. 2 is even better! and this one is hard to top.
  42. GustavW.
    Jan 15, 2005
    Absolutely gorgeous!
  43. JoeyBoy
    Mar 8, 2005
    The most classic action movie ever made.
  44. naosha
    Jun 8, 2005
    So good i watched i watched it 15 times in 10 days.
  45. AdamH.
    May 8, 2006
    This Movie Rocks!!
  46. NickR.
    Jan 5, 2006
    I don't get it either, but I love it. The sum is greater than the separate parts.
  47. pabloe
    Nov 9, 2007
    It
  48. Mar 31, 2012
    Only few would dare to make a movie as insane as this, and Tarantino made it brilliant. A gripping revenge story that doesn't hold anything back. It was all over the place in style, direction, and musically which just made it completely original. Unexpectedly very funny and epic at the same time. One of the best!
  49. Sep 19, 2013
    A solid movie for Tarantino, and a damn fun one to watch. Uma Thurman comes back for her second Tarantino-directed movie as the bride who wants vengeance, and will do whatever is necessary to get it. The only thing is when you reach the end of the movie and she still hasn't "killed Bill", you might get a feeling of regret for wasting your time with this movie. Oh, but just wait until youA solid movie for Tarantino, and a damn fun one to watch. Uma Thurman comes back for her second Tarantino-directed movie as the bride who wants vengeance, and will do whatever is necessary to get it. The only thing is when you reach the end of the movie and she still hasn't "killed Bill", you might get a feeling of regret for wasting your time with this movie. Oh, but just wait until you see Part 2. Expand
  50. MaxwellS.
    May 9, 2004
    Maybe I had too high of expectations, but the first half of this film let me down a bit. Still a great story with an amazing cliffhanger (although the movie should just be one long three hour experience). Not as good as the gold of Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and True Romance, but the Quentinescence is there.
  51. KelvinL.
    Aug 29, 2005
    Stylish and exciting with a great soundtrack! I smell a rat, some reviews which gave this film 0 look remarkable similar! This gives me reason to suspect that they were penned from the same indivdual! For those complaining against the violence, just what were you expecting! The clue is in the title! Any film with "kill" in is not going to be Mary Poppins! As for those comments saying most Stylish and exciting with a great soundtrack! I smell a rat, some reviews which gave this film 0 look remarkable similar! This gives me reason to suspect that they were penned from the same indivdual! For those complaining against the violence, just what were you expecting! The clue is in the title! Any film with "kill" in is not going to be Mary Poppins! As for those comments saying most of the audience left halfway through the film with only 25% capacity, I guess it depends where you live, my cinema was packed to capacity and not one person left early! Expand
  52. AnoldR.
    Jan 6, 2004
    One hell of a movie to come back with, excellent, kept me on the edge of my seat while laughing my arse off, can't wait untill volume 2 comes out in Feb.
  53. GalS.
    Jan 9, 2004
    i have the movie on DVD, and every time I watch it I wanna be in the movie (wtf?!)......it is good!!!!!! although this movie is very bloody its also bloody good!
  54. TheRoninS.
    Feb 4, 2004
    All these people whining about the violence...even squeamish critic Leonard Maltin understood it's overwhelmingly cartoonish nature.
  55. DillB.
    May 30, 2004
    This is one of the greatest movies of all time. Just the way that they set up the scenes and then execute all of the cool scenes. I am saying this from a director's point of view and this has to be one of the greatest movies of all time. I have already seen it about 200 times and it is still one of my favorite movies and it hasn't gotten old yet.
  56. Sean
    Jul 1, 2004
    Amazing. If you enjoy action at all, you will love this movie.
  57. JoeyK.
    Aug 8, 2005
    I'm not a huge enthusiast of Tarantino or this movie, but I liked it and I'm shocked it got as low as a 69. I expected high 70's at the lowest to high 80's at the best. It's a good movie, with interesting style, and plenty to keep your attention. Tarantino screws with reality, it seems, but that's what movies are for, aren't they?
  58. JohnE
    Oct 9, 2006
    Absolute classic revenge movie, Tarantino gives the genre the respect it reserves. This was obviously a tribute to films that have inspired him, but still had Tarantino's signature touches.
  59. MichaelY.
    Apr 6, 2007
    The most exciting moviegoing experience I have ever had in the theater...I don't know whether that makes it a great movie, but it can't hurt. Tarantino pulls out all the stops, showing all of his skills, and gives the audience a helluva ride.
  60. EricC.
    Oct 11, 2003
    This movie is probably the closest I've seen any movie come to imitating a japanese anime. And for me, that's a very good thing. Kill Bill is just surrounded in so much style, it practically puts the film in a league of its own. The action scenes are the best I've seen since Matrix: Reloaded. This film is very bloody, but not like a Jason movie. It would be more accurate to This movie is probably the closest I've seen any movie come to imitating a japanese anime. And for me, that's a very good thing. Kill Bill is just surrounded in so much style, it practically puts the film in a league of its own. The action scenes are the best I've seen since Matrix: Reloaded. This film is very bloody, but not like a Jason movie. It would be more accurate to say the over-the-top blood content helps increase the feel of Kill Bill. The acting is top-notch, and without a doubt, Uma Thurman performs fantastically. I could've easily watched vol. 1 and 2 together for three hours straight. I never got bored of it. Expand
  61. MikeFlex
    Oct 11, 2003
    Kill Bill may not have been the greatest movie I've ever seen, but it is, wthout a doubt, one of the coolest. For the first time, Tarantino's direction takes the lead over his script and it pays off in the best movie of his career not named Pulp Fiction. Besides, all you needs a sense of humor and a love of Sonny Chiba.
  62. PaulM.
    Oct 10, 2003
    This movie is like a cinematic roller-coaster, and you ride a roller coaster for the thrill of pounding down a track at breakneck speeds and for the spray of adrenals...in that it succeeds majestically...to require this movie to do anything else is to shortchange it...Bravo Quentin...this baby rocks at 90 miles an hour...
  63. Uter
    Nov 20, 2003
    The plot is very simple, but the style and action are superb.
  64. NoelT.
    Oct 13, 2003
    Well you have to realize that we have only seen half of the movie. Can't judge Citizen Kane, or Casablanca if you only saw half of it. God forbid they have an intermission. Imagine what Akira Kurosawa's film Seven Samuri would be like if it was released today. Would they break it into 3 sections. Seven Samuri Vol. 1, 2 and 3? Or would distributor really want people to sit though Well you have to realize that we have only seen half of the movie. Can't judge Citizen Kane, or Casablanca if you only saw half of it. God forbid they have an intermission. Imagine what Akira Kurosawa's film Seven Samuri would be like if it was released today. Would they break it into 3 sections. Seven Samuri Vol. 1, 2 and 3? Or would distributor really want people to sit though a 4.5 hour long movie with a 15 min. intermission? My only complaint is I wish they would show what "the bride" was while a-mother-to-be and a-wife-to -be. So we can great an idea of how good her life was and how bad it got so quickly. If they did this more people would be cheering for black mambo. Who knows they might have some of that in the other half. Go see it now. Expand
  65. Ishii
    Oct 13, 2003
    Yes, my last name is Ishii - same as O-ren Ishii in the film. Anyhoo, this movie kicked ass. It's all about Uma Thurman going around ruining everyone's sh.t. 100% great entertainment.
  66. JoshuaW.
    Oct 14, 2003
    Forget Uma Thurman's quest for justice, Tarantino is back with his own vengeance in Kill Bill. Every year there's mabye 5-10 films that are worth while, and only about half of those are cinematic gems at that. Kill Bill is certainly one of those gems.
  67. JaredS.
    Oct 15, 2003
    Wow! This truly is a movie buffs wet dream! I wouldn't have seen this movie four times in three days if I didn't mean that, and I'm prime to see it again. Volume 2 now has a lot to live up to, but you know as well as I do, that Tarantino can pull it off. Bravo, QT! Continue your legendary career with whatever you'd like, because if this is the result, long live the king!
  68. Orpheusfix
    Oct 17, 2003
    If anything else, a celebration of pop culture. (One of the guys below gave the movie a 0 after walking out on it 30 minutes into the movie. That's kind of stupid ain't it? Why not see the entire movie and then rate it for what one thought it should deserve.)
  69. IntroducingTheHardlineAccordingToGilbertMulroneyca
    Oct 17, 2003
    Pure. There's a one word review for you: pure. Not morally pure, or spiritually pure, cinematically pure. Like 2001: A Space Oddysey, Kill Bill is not about things, it is things. At first glance, it's a little style-over-substanceish, but delve deeper and it's clear that it's ALL style, to the extent that the style IS the substance. It must be said, though, that this Pure. There's a one word review for you: pure. Not morally pure, or spiritually pure, cinematically pure. Like 2001: A Space Oddysey, Kill Bill is not about things, it is things. At first glance, it's a little style-over-substanceish, but delve deeper and it's clear that it's ALL style, to the extent that the style IS the substance. It must be said, though, that this makes for something of a cocktail in too small a glass, with so many tricks and stylistic doodahs going off at the same time. QT is palpably drunk on filmmaking - but it still works. Think of it as his 1941, only better. Besides, the director of 1941's gone on to do alright for himself. It's really difficult to recommend Kill Bill - critics in this country have savaged it, partly because they miss the point, but also because it's a very Marmite sort of film - so the best I can say is, if you like this sort of thing, this sort of thing you like. And even if you don't, it's brilliant, in its own slightly psychotic way. Expand
  70. LuisC.
    Oct 28, 2003
    This and Lost in Translation are thest films of the year so far. Bring on ROTK!
  71. SeanC.
    Oct 9, 2003
    A really awesome, unbalanced, bloody, mean, funny, twisted, cliched, sexy, awkward, ice cold, boundary-pushing, ass-kicking action flick. Expect Jackie Brown and prepare for disappoinment. Expect kung fu and get your socks rocked off.
  72. ArtherS.
    Oct 9, 2003
    This movie is awesome. And I shoud know, cuz I'm really smart at judging these kind of things! It is awesome. What can I say!
  73. Radical
    Jan 16, 2004
    Its worth noting how strong people's reactions are to this film. One one hand, critics say they left feeling nothing and claim the film succeeds in being powerfully emotive; however, they are quick to exhibit extremely harsh reactions to the film. While the film celebrates violence on screen, it appears to be no greater than the violence of the critic's tongue. With that being Its worth noting how strong people's reactions are to this film. One one hand, critics say they left feeling nothing and claim the film succeeds in being powerfully emotive; however, they are quick to exhibit extremely harsh reactions to the film. While the film celebrates violence on screen, it appears to be no greater than the violence of the critic's tongue. With that being said, I feel that there is a trend of expectations developing in our critical eye that is damaging to what film represents: film does not need a social agenda -- by requiring it to satisfy your own personal belief systems, you are sacrificing your ability to objectively analyze and study the art. This is clearly a powerful film, with gorgeous imagery, fantastic pacing and tone, and possesses sufficient depth for contemplative and satisfying analysis. Tarentino is a powerful visionary, director auture of our day, and his work should be studied within his own context, not yours. Expand
  74. JosephM.
    Jan 8, 2004
    Don't take this movie too seriously and it is a pretty good time. I don't remember ever seeing this much blood in a movie since Charlton Heston turned the waters to blook in The Ten Commandments... This movie is an instant classic in the martial arts genre and I look forward to volume 2!
  75. JohnC.
    Feb 10, 2004
    This movie splits people up. Either you "Get it" or you dont. If you don't, then I feel sorry for you. But if you do, "get it", then this movie will go down as one of the most entertaining, laughable, over the top, crazy movie you will ever see. Its a conundrum of sorts. Its slow, and fast. Its serious and silly. Its shocking and hilarious. What Kill Bill really is... Its art. Its This movie splits people up. Either you "Get it" or you dont. If you don't, then I feel sorry for you. But if you do, "get it", then this movie will go down as one of the most entertaining, laughable, over the top, crazy movie you will ever see. Its a conundrum of sorts. Its slow, and fast. Its serious and silly. Its shocking and hilarious. What Kill Bill really is... Its art. Its visionary. Its a dream brought to life. Its simple yet intriguing. Its mind-bendingly brutal, but its all taken in jest. I have never laughed so much at such over the top silliness, but it held together without losing one ounce of magnetism for the intrigued watcher. Its like nothing you ever seen before, but at the same time, you have probably seen everything within it before. Its a conundrum. And Quentin Tarantino brings together the whole parody of B-movies to a different level. Its a work of sheer brilliance, and it will go down as being one of the greatest cult films ever made. Absolutely brilliant. I just feel sorry for those who don't "Get it"... But then again, who cares about them anyways? Kill Bill is an amazing film, and one that is unique. Expand
  76. RenanB.
    Feb 21, 2004
    As Ebert said in his review, there is not a real story here, but there is storytelling. It's not so deep or intelligent. IT'S PURE FUN. IT'S ABOUT HAVING FUN. If you don't get this, too bad.
  77. S.
    Feb 25, 2004
    I agree with John C on this one... I got it.
  78. TelyS
    Feb 3, 2004
    Tarantino contiues his exploration into the arts of plagerism with his latest. While I'll take any old school Japanese/Hong Kong action film over Kill Bill, Bill is fun in a way that only Q.T. can make it. Ironicly, the best, most original sequence in the film is also the least nessesary, the anime backstory of O-Ren.
  79. Uter
    Mar 1, 2004
    It's well done, but the plot is ultra simple. I like the style though.
  80. MichaelC.
    Apr 14, 2004
    Wow! I haven't been this excited about an action movie in a long time. Kill Bill is an extraordinary take on the martial arts action style. It does what last year's Matrix films attempt to do for fight scenes. The scenes are choreographed brilliantly, and the use of cinematography is exceptional. However, as no movie is perfect, it would be unfair to all the movies I bash to not Wow! I haven't been this excited about an action movie in a long time. Kill Bill is an extraordinary take on the martial arts action style. It does what last year's Matrix films attempt to do for fight scenes. The scenes are choreographed brilliantly, and the use of cinematography is exceptional. However, as no movie is perfect, it would be unfair to all the movies I bash to not point out Kill Bill's faults. Dialog in parts of the movie is severely lacking (especially for Tarantino), and the concept of the movie itself (a tale of revenge) is painfully linear. The movie seems to move along as expected with no real twists, even though there are plenty of shocking parts. Overall, I think Vol. 1 did a great job setting up this story. Tarantino has said that we "really haven't seen anything, yet," so I'm incredibly anxious to see where Vol. 2 takes us. I recommend this film for anyone who was a fan of Tarantino's previous work, along with anyone longing for a film to return substance to the action genre after last year's crapfest. Expand
  81. KevinU.
    Apr 21, 2004
    This movie was outstanding, the connection Vol. 1 makes with Vol. 2 makes the two movies perfectly come together, as a martial artist myself I do work with the Katana and it was put to good use in this fantastic movie. The blood spray is just QT's way of showing his famous dark comedy and some people don't understand that. It's supposed to be over done.
  82. Rus-T
    May 1, 2004
    I love reading the comments from those who don't get Tarantino...giggle!
  83. wongit
    Mar 12, 2005
    I didnt like this film when i first saw this film. i had to watch the movie twice in order to tottaly enjoy it and it is a great film. Its violent fun that is definetly a classic. Tarantino does it again.
  84. jonnyreb
    Jun 2, 2006
    Kill Bill is the best movie I have ever seen! The story is simple as hell but the amazing style, the humour, the characters, and amazing scene after amazing scene left me in awe. I dont think I could describe how jaw-dropping this movie is in an essay let a lone a paragraph.
  85. LyndellK.
    Sep 19, 2007
    This Movie Not only is set up in classic QT world with vibrant colors and Crazy places and characters but it is also one of the best filmed movies I've ever seen. And not too mention the end left me out of my seat begging that Vol. 2 would be right after it one of the best movies EVER!
  86. NinjaMafia
    Oct 11, 2003
    Kill Bill has been one of my most looked forward to movies of the year. I have to be honest with everyone now, I have never seen Pulp Fiction, Resevoir Dogs, or Jackie Brown, all I knew is that once I saw an interview with Quinten Tarintino and he seemd to be more than obsessed with kung-fu movies. When I heard he was making a kung-fu movie, I thought it was going to be a fantastic movie, Kill Bill has been one of my most looked forward to movies of the year. I have to be honest with everyone now, I have never seen Pulp Fiction, Resevoir Dogs, or Jackie Brown, all I knew is that once I saw an interview with Quinten Tarintino and he seemd to be more than obsessed with kung-fu movies. When I heard he was making a kung-fu movie, I thought it was going to be a fantastic movie, and I wasn't disappointed. The movie is about a bride (whos name is cleverly beeped out whenever somebody says it) who, during her wedding, is brutally slain along with the rest of the wedding party, however, the bride is still alive. She wakes up four years later out for revenge. I don't want to reaveal any more of the story because it was actually suprisingly good. The characters in the movie each have their own very distinct personality, except for the Yakuza henchmen. The action in this movie is really good, which also kind of surprised me because American movies don't seem to have a lot of good kung-fu action in them. This movie is also extremely bloody. Limbs fly, heads roll on the ground, blood gushes unrealistically from almost every stab a character gets. Actually, the blood kind of gives this movie some humor. The unrealistic, 20 gallons of blood from a chopped off arm is laughably cartoonish. But it doesn't really affect the dark mood of the film. Oh and also, the soundtrack to this movie is awesome. I usually don't care for songs in movies because they are usually dull and unmemorable. This movie had songs that got stuck in my head. My only big complaint about this movie is that i have to wait 4 and a half months to see the rest of it. This has got to be the best movie released this year and is definitely going to be one that I will re-watch over and over agin. I haven't even mentioned the anime part of the movie. There is so much going for this movie that I could rant on for weeks. However, people will be disappointed if they walk into this movie expecting one of Quintens other film, from what I've heard, Kill Bill is drastically different from all of his other films. Expand
  87. DavidT.
    Oct 11, 2003
    This movie was breathtaking. Every aspect of it was incredible: from the lighting to the camera angles and the set design to the makeup. At times the movie became a bit over the top and/or drawn out in length of its scenes, it is still a very satisfying experience and a pleasure to watch. Amazing acting!!
  88. SmellySkunk
    Nov 10, 2003
    The most enjoyable movie I've seen this year and I've seen a few! It knocks Reloaded into a cocked hat and then some. A, so far, simple story, a motivated main character and varied styles of film all combine to make an absorbing experience which, once again, shows Tarantino on top of his game. Now what am I going to do until Vol. 2 comes out ?
  89. SteveC.
    Oct 11, 2003
    Other folks have already commented about the violence, but this is to be expected from a QT movie. What is done is style, flash, and a certain tone that is QT at his best. As an interesting aside... I tend to watch sword fighting carefully as I have had a small bit of training. Many of the "moves" Uma makes with her sword are pure Iaido (sword martial art) and she does the moves very Other folks have already commented about the violence, but this is to be expected from a QT movie. What is done is style, flash, and a certain tone that is QT at his best. As an interesting aside... I tend to watch sword fighting carefully as I have had a small bit of training. Many of the "moves" Uma makes with her sword are pure Iaido (sword martial art) and she does the moves very well. She was very well coached. (For example, many of the flurishes after a fight are moves to shake the blood off the blade.) This is a show with at least as much violence as Pulp Fiction, but frankly, I see a much better style and cinematography with this movie. Expand
  90. IanE.
    Oct 11, 2003
    If you are a fan of hongkong cinema you will like this movie. It's a shame so many critics bashed a brilliant film because it went over their heads. Kudos to those critics who got it.
  91. FatTony
    Oct 10, 2003
    This movie was amazing. The way tarantino was able to take the old chinese, japanese and american grindhouse film styles and mix them into one beautiful 2 part film is beyond me.
  92. KeisariJ.
    Nov 20, 2003
    And I thought Tarantino was out of aces, but he managed to draw one out of his sleeve, again! To me, Tarantino is above the God himself. I can´t believe that this was only a vol.1, can´t wait the second one!
  93. TimAlen
    Nov 29, 2003
    At last a good action movie! Tarantino did a good job; keep it up!
  94. S.Y.
    Oct 12, 2003
    This movie was for us...not them it rocked. period.
  95. ChanningS.
    Oct 13, 2003
    Incredible movie. QT at his best. Near perfect. Mesmerizing. I agree completely with Roger Ebert. The critics that don't get it, don't get it. Some kind of wonderful. Don't read reviews, just see it.
  96. LeonC.
    Oct 13, 2003
    Anyone who doesn't like this movie simply does not understand it. it is brilliant in every sense of film, and it is about time a director makes as ballsy a move as this one and really trademark a movie as his own. anyone who does not like this film has either not done their homework or has no taste whatsoever.
  97. Triniman
    Oct 16, 2003
    Ultra-violent and cartoonish, this is an hommage to some of Tarantino's favorite cult films and directors. Uma Thurman slices and dices her way through tons of bad guys with her trusty Japanese sword, deftly defying gravity to her advantage. At times, this seems like "Crouching Tiger" for the MTV generation. The violence is so over the top that it really is funny, especially when Ultra-violent and cartoonish, this is an hommage to some of Tarantino's favorite cult films and directors. Uma Thurman slices and dices her way through tons of bad guys with her trusty Japanese sword, deftly defying gravity to her advantage. At times, this seems like "Crouching Tiger" for the MTV generation. The violence is so over the top that it really is funny, especially when limbs and heads get severed and there's geyers of blood spurting forth. Part of the film is animie that explains the origin of the Lucy Liu character. It is highly stylized in its own right and commands your complete attention. Some of the non-action scenes are too long and drawn out, which is this film's biggest flaw. If you're looking for complex plot and thought-provoking dialogue, look elsewhere. If you're looking for mindless action, this is about as stylized and as funny as it gets. Blows away films that take themself too seriously, like the Blade series. Look for part II next year. Expand
  98. RobF.
    Oct 16, 2003
    Some scenes run on a bit too long, but this is easily the most kinetic and exuberant film to come down the pike in quite some time. Granted, those looking for a coherent plot or compelling characters are likely to be disappointed, but they aren't likely to attend anyway. This movie isn't about anything but Tarantino's love of movies and his marvelous command of cinematic Some scenes run on a bit too long, but this is easily the most kinetic and exuberant film to come down the pike in quite some time. Granted, those looking for a coherent plot or compelling characters are likely to be disappointed, but they aren't likely to attend anyway. This movie isn't about anything but Tarantino's love of movies and his marvelous command of cinematic style. It's expensive, glossy trash, but it's terrific. Expand
  99. BrianS.
    Oct 17, 2003
    Loved every minute of it.
  100. C.Meyer
    Oct 17, 2003
    WONDERFUL movie!! truly unique and inventive and the Soundtrack just kicks!!! Great performances/wondeful cinematography ... there's nothing NOT to like in this movie!!!

1. Reviewed by: Jim Agnew
    A hyper-violent, hyper-gory, kung-fu grindhouse flick. And there’s nothing at all wrong with that.
  2. Is Kill Bill a homage to great Asian action movies? Yes. Is Tarantino trying to outdo his cherished masters (on a budget that dwarfs their films)? Of course. Is there any other point of any of this? Let's see "Vol. 2."
    An incomplete movie, artlessly cleft in the middle. Cinema interruptus.