7.4

1. Aug 27, 2014
    Certainly no shortage of flair and panache, Volume 1 is a super-violent tale of betrayal and revenge. By no means Tarantino's finest work, but you'll be entertained.
  2. Mar 30, 2012
    Maybe its just me but i find Kill Bill no big deal. performances are pretty good with some descent music but unlike Tarantino's Pulp Fiction the violence is why over the top and funny at the same time. That is not a great mix.
  3. Apr 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is a bloody good time: lots of fake blood, sword fighting and limbs being cut off. The story is threadbare, but Volume 2 gives us the full story and compliments Volume 1, making it better if you ask me. Ms Thurman's acting was admittedly a bit wooden at times, but when she's good, she's good. That scream at the start, where she wakes up in the hospital? PURE GOLD.

And the MUSIC! Twisted Nerve was... well, to put it lightly, it was irritating. The rest of the music is absolutely amazing; i've saved most of it into a playlist on Youtube. One song in particular stands out: The Lonely Shepard. It sounds like a fusion between East and West, incorporating a flute in to begin with and bringing in guitars and trumpets... It's the most triumphant song I have ever heard. Look it up, NOW.

And the CAST! Uma Thurman brought her best, finally breaking into the lead spot after her part in another Tarantino affair Pulp Fiction. DAVID **** CARRADINE plays the titular Bill. Lucy Liu, who was the hottest thing in the world after the Charlie's Angels movie skyrocketed, plays this movie's "antagonist". Sonny Chiba is by far the most charming character in this film, playing portly little Hattori Hanzo. Michael Madsen is in Vol. 2! No-one brings a cast together like Quentin Tarantino, and I don't care who you are or what you smoke, but that's a fact you can't deny.

On its own, it's a marvelous little gore flick. Watching it again after Vol. 2 brings something completely new to it. You just can't lose, unless you're a Fundy looking for a Boogeyman. Give this movie a go, and if you don't like the blood and swearing, go pick up "Ultraviolet" instead.
  4. Dec 14, 2013
    A wonderful film, by most metrics. Tarantino is an incredible filmmaker, but his prestige advanced beyond great screenwriting into great direction for this film. A stylized revenge flick is what it is, so to take it as more than that is ludicrous, and for what it is it is nearly perfect. I do not believe Tarantino intended to create the greatest film of all time, I believe that he intendedA wonderful film, by most metrics. Tarantino is an incredible filmmaker, but his prestige advanced beyond great screenwriting into great direction for this film. A stylized revenge flick is what it is, so to take it as more than that is ludicrous, and for what it is it is nearly perfect. I do not believe Tarantino intended to create the greatest film of all time, I believe that he intended to create an entertaining movie that combines his favorite genres, and it works. The acting, the screenplay, the direction, and the countless homages to kung fu, spaghetti western, and exploitation movies make it a massively entertaining watch. Expand
  5. May 2, 2014
    Nobody does stylish violence like Quentin Tarantino. Yes, the blood is very much over-the-top, but my God it is just so beautiful filmed I cannot even be bothered by it. Plus, it is absolutely hilarious the way in which some people die in this film. In addition, the battle sequences are 100% gorgeous. The choreography is amazing and thought out. In the lead role, Uma Thurman is perfectlyNobody does stylish violence like Quentin Tarantino. Yes, the blood is very much over-the-top, but my God it is just so beautiful filmed I cannot even be bothered by it. Plus, it is absolutely hilarious the way in which some people die in this film. In addition, the battle sequences are 100% gorgeous. The choreography is amazing and thought out. In the lead role, Uma Thurman is perfectly cast and absolutely kills (heh) her role. On the negative side of things, the dialogue can become a tad cheesy at times and make you roll your eyes that they decided to go with that line. On top of that, the violence, while stylish, can be numbing and the death scenes repeat themselves (i.e. many characters die in the same exact way and you see a similar shot of their death). Finally, the weird anime sequence as we got a character's back story was a turn off for me. It just made the film feel disjointed and felt like a very weird turn that was not really necessary.

Overall, Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is a pretty good film. However, as it is simply half of the final product, it does feel unfinished, so you have to take the fact that it is intended to be the first half of the film into account, which is why I do like this one as much as I do. As a lead-in to the second film, it is very successful as I was left with a burning desire to watch part two almost immediately after finishing this one.
  6. Aug 23, 2013
    Its ok, very slow until the end where gets ballistic, kinda reminds me of anime that's kinda the whole reason i like the movie, ALSO GOT A REALLY WEIRD ASS CRAZY STORY 7/10
  7. Nov 8, 2012
    8.0 for lots of people dying. The story isn't that bad either and it was kinda funny though the whole thing just came out funny for me. It's pretty entertaining to say the least.
  8. Jan 6, 2014
    Magnificamente montado e surpreendentemente maravilhoso. Kill Bill tem ação, histórias e ótimas doses exageradas de sangue.Magnificamente montado e surpreendentemente maravilhoso. Kill Bill tem ação, histórias e ótimas doses exageradas de sangue. Expand
  9. Nov 24, 2012
    I purchased Kill Bill volumes one and two on bluray at black Friday. Today I watched the first Kill Bill and this is what I have too say. The kung fu/ action scenes were a 10 out of 10. The acting was 7 out of 10. And the directing and writing were a 9 out of 10. I enjoyed how sociopathic the movie was, and Thurmans performance. Overall I give this movie a 10 out of 10.
  10. Dec 26, 2012
    To the average moviegoer,"Kill Bill" comes across as a nuanced film that appears shallow litered with flamboyant violence. And yet nothing could be further from the truth. Remarkably unique blend of various genres drawing from an abundant of influences constructing something very much his own. A bride (Uma Thurman) awakes from a long coma no longer carrying the baby before hand. OnlyTo the average moviegoer,"Kill Bill" comes across as a nuanced film that appears shallow litered with flamboyant violence. And yet nothing could be further from the truth. Remarkably unique blend of various genres drawing from an abundant of influences constructing something very much his own. A bride (Uma Thurman) awakes from a long coma no longer carrying the baby before hand. Only revenge motivates her now to hunt down the assassination team that betrayed her, and once a part of. Breathtaking fight scenes function the same as dance numbers would in a musical. Stunningly beautiful and completely innovative. Highly-stylized, magnificent musical score, dynamic performances all around. Expand
  11. Mar 9, 2013
    Kill Bill is a very silly written film, not to mention it has no reasoning for its sustained violence unlike most of Tarantino's films.
  12. Jun 26, 2013
    For those unfamiliar to Tarantino's work this movie might be 'unrealistic'. Tarantino's films usually go for some kind of cartoon-ish funny-ish action style script which is nothing but the way he likes to direct. The user score and the meta-score seem way too low. Although I must say vol. 2 is much better than vol. 1. Yet again I consider Kill Bill Vol 1 and Vol 2 as one and only masterpiece.
  13. Jul 16, 2014
    Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is not complicated. It's about a woman going on a revenge driven rampage. Honestly, that's all I ever needed in a movie.
    This movie is so stylish and so fun to watch that you forget its lack of depth. I can honestly say that I was never once bored the whole time watching this movie.
    Also, that ending fight scene was amazing. This is just Tarantino being Tarantino. And
    Also, that ending fight scene was amazing.
    This is just Tarantino being Tarantino. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
  14. Mar 16, 2013
    The problem with Kill Bill is that when the bloody deaths get old and the crappy story becomes a bore. The only thing that makes this film decent is the way that Tarantino creates a good old kung fu revenge film.
  15. Apr 7, 2013
    This film is a combination of everything I love: Japanese cultural aspects, swordplay, a revenge plot, philosophy, and above all else, wit. Definitely one of the greatest films I've ever seen.
  16. Apr 8, 2013
    Quentin Tarantino, a formidable filmmaker in Hollywood, who has masterminded great pictures like RESERVOIR DOGS and PULP FICTION, is also hugely responsible for the greatness behind KILL BILL: VOLUME 1 (KB1). KILL BILL was at first being scheduled for a single movie, but that single movie exceeds a running time of over four hours. The decision to separate the source into two parts wasQuentin Tarantino, a formidable filmmaker in Hollywood, who has masterminded great pictures like RESERVOIR DOGS and PULP FICTION, is also hugely responsible for the greatness behind KILL BILL: VOLUME 1 (KB1). KILL BILL was at first being scheduled for a single movie, but that single movie exceeds a running time of over four hours. The decision to separate the source into two parts was favourable KB1 was released in late 2003 while its sequel, KB2, was released in early 2004.

To me, KB1 is a cinematic masterpiece. Everything in the movie was being meticulously orchestrated, right from the start of the movie to the end of it. I would say the movie is just tight. You would wish to imagine a tight, ripped body of a person, that's KB1. Editing of this movie is just sharp and great writing too. An element which caught my attention is the camera work itself I would say they are highly artistic and imaginative. In one particular scene, Tarantino exploited a long impeccable tracking shot with no cuts, and it is brilliant.

Beyond the near-perfect cinematic experience which Tarantino has given us, Uma Thurman's performance deserved a praise too. She manipulated her character extremely well which I think it is being overlooked, her performance is decent. Her character in the film is boiling with sadness and anger and for example, in one scene, you could witness that pain or anger through Thurman's expression on her face that marks the work of a great actress.

As a whole, this movie is daringly beautiful. The plot is simple, but Tarantino's clever navigation for this movie is excellent. Could I say it? Kill Bill Vol 1 is bloody, darkly comical, and unforgettable.

[4.5/5]

Facebook (http://facebook.com/alex.desmall) Twitter (@Alex_DeSmall) (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/member/AlexDesmall)
  17. Aug 29, 2013
    uma thurman powerful, khas tarantino sangat terasa dan beberapa komedi segar yang menambah serunya film ini, beberapa adegan pertarungannya sungguh unik, i like this movie
  18. Jun 11, 2013
    when i saw this movie for first time i felt instant love. it's so strange, so crazy and well done. even when it's an action movie, it has feelings and such good actors. actually best movie ever.
  19. Jun 18, 2013
    Outrageous, bloody, wrenching, etc. Kill Bill has one of those stories that not only constantly gives you something to look forward to, but delivers whether it comes to the great action, epic showdowns, and more emotional moments. An extremely entertaining film.
  20. Jun 22, 2013
    La venganza puede ser el arma mas mortal en el ser humano, misma que nos lleva a cometer cosas con la finalidad de satisfacerla. El largometraje nos muestra la venganza en primer termino y en segundo como se lleva a cabo.
    Baños de sangre, peleas mortales, y una historia que contar nos muestra el guion y los cuadros. Una dirección, que la hace diferenciar de las otras. Buena historia y rescatables actuaciones, aunque a su paso deja preguntas sin contestar auque aun falta ver volumen 2.
    En si una pelicula para la historia.
  21. Sep 19, 2013
    A solid movie for Tarantino, and a damn fun one to watch. Uma Thurman comes back for her second Tarantino-directed movie as the bride who wants vengeance, and will do whatever is necessary to get it. The only thing is when you reach the end of the movie and she still hasn't "killed Bill", you might get a feeling of regret for wasting your time with this movie. Oh, but just wait until youA solid movie for Tarantino, and a damn fun one to watch. Uma Thurman comes back for her second Tarantino-directed movie as the bride who wants vengeance, and will do whatever is necessary to get it. The only thing is when you reach the end of the movie and she still hasn't "killed Bill", you might get a feeling of regret for wasting your time with this movie. Oh, but just wait until you see Part 2. Expand
  22. AGK
    Jan 1, 2014
    awesome movie with.... drum roll please! (drum roll) no love story! isn't it wonderful? and the action was probably the best that I've seen out of any movie. I want more of this stuff!
  23. Dec 12, 2013
    Super violent, with great visual style and one heck of an ending. Tarantino delivers by blending genres perfectly, but jeez, he definitely has a thing for feet.
  24. Apr 6, 2014
    I was in the middle with this movie. But why a "7" you ask? Because when It comes to Quentin Tarantino you expect more (Something like Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction) in it than others. Kill Bill was good. Fast paced and well acted gives it a thumbs up. Just not two, not even a half.
  25. Dec 17, 2014
    as much as Robert Rodriguez & Tarantino have brought some crazy over ratted fun kick ass movies like
    ( Dusk Til Dawn, Pulp Fiction), Kill Bill was one of the best movies of Tarantino's career. the writer/ director ( Tarantino) has created a heroic characters in his films and Uma Thurman is clearly his best characters yet, thats what makes Kill Bill so special also his crazy work with effects also his camera shots. Grade A
  26. chw
    Aug 16, 2014
    Kill Bill Volume 1 is very good, but it's the most bizarre Quentin Tarantino movie because of the stylized Japanese samurai moves, but besides that it's a very good film, way better than the second volume.
  27. May 30, 2014
    I enjoyed the second one better than this one but still an awesome movie. Easily the most gory movie I have ever seen, the scene where she fights all of the assassins is great. With a pretty good ending to lead into the next one made me enjoy it a lot also.
  28. Aug 4, 2014
    I personally liked it, but it didn't need all that cheesy violence, but Quentin Tarrintino is still awesome. This movie had some cheesy action scenes but is carried by fine acting and nice character development.
  29. Aug 15, 2014
    The overdone gore surprisingly worked out well with Quentin Tarantino at is best yet again and delivers a vengeful roller coaster right up till the end.
  30. Apr 5, 2015
    This movie can be an accomplishment, but one that proves Tarantino's immaturity. It is by far a lot of style without substance, i really didn't like it. I am just giving a 5 because it has good aspects like the acting, script (wasn't as great as Inglorious Basterds and Pulp Fiction), and some directing. But overall it was a dull, uninspiring, immature, and dislikable movie that was abusingThis movie can be an accomplishment, but one that proves Tarantino's immaturity. It is by far a lot of style without substance, i really didn't like it. I am just giving a 5 because it has good aspects like the acting, script (wasn't as great as Inglorious Basterds and Pulp Fiction), and some directing. But overall it was a dull, uninspiring, immature, and dislikable movie that was abusing about its own premise. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Jim Agnew
    A hyper-violent, hyper-gory, kung-fu grindhouse flick. And there’s nothing at all wrong with that.
  2. Is Kill Bill a homage to great Asian action movies? Yes. Is Tarantino trying to outdo his cherished masters (on a budget that dwarfs their films)? Of course. Is there any other point of any of this? Let's see "Vol. 2."
    An incomplete movie, artlessly cleft in the middle. Cinema interruptus.