Kill Bill: Vol. 1

8.0

1. Orpheusfix
    Oct 17, 2003
    If anything else, a celebration of pop culture. (One of the guys below gave the movie a 0 after walking out on it 30 minutes into the movie. That's kind of stupid ain't it? Why not see the entire movie and then rate it for what one thought it should deserve.)
  2. IntroducingTheHardlineAccordingToGilbertMulroneyca
    Oct 17, 2003
    Pure. There's a one word review for you: pure. Not morally pure, or spiritually pure, cinematically pure. Like 2001: A Space Oddysey, Kill Bill is not about things, it is things. At first glance, it's a little style-over-substanceish, but delve deeper and it's clear that it's ALL style, to the extent that the style IS the substance. It must be said, though, that this Pure. There's a one word review for you: pure. Not morally pure, or spiritually pure, cinematically pure. Like 2001: A Space Oddysey, Kill Bill is not about things, it is things. At first glance, it's a little style-over-substanceish, but delve deeper and it's clear that it's ALL style, to the extent that the style IS the substance. It must be said, though, that this makes for something of a cocktail in too small a glass, with so many tricks and stylistic doodahs going off at the same time. QT is palpably drunk on filmmaking - but it still works. Think of it as his 1941, only better. Besides, the director of 1941's gone on to do alright for himself. It's really difficult to recommend Kill Bill - critics in this country have savaged it, partly because they miss the point, but also because it's a very Marmite sort of film - so the best I can say is, if you like this sort of thing, this sort of thing you like. And even if you don't, it's brilliant, in its own slightly psychotic way. Expand
  3. LuisC.
    Oct 28, 2003
    This and Lost in Translation are thest films of the year so far. Bring on ROTK!
  4. SeanC.
    Oct 9, 2003
    A really awesome, unbalanced, bloody, mean, funny, twisted, cliched, sexy, awkward, ice cold, boundary-pushing, ass-kicking action flick. Expect Jackie Brown and prepare for disappoinment. Expect kung fu and get your socks rocked off.
  5. ArtherS.
    Oct 9, 2003
    This movie is awesome. And I shoud know, cuz I'm really smart at judging these kind of things! It is awesome. What can I say!
  6. JerryT.
    Oct 9, 2003
    A little too gory for me but a pretty cool movie.
  7. Radical
    Jan 16, 2004
    Its worth noting how strong people's reactions are to this film. One one hand, critics say they left feeling nothing and claim the film succeeds in being powerfully emotive; however, they are quick to exhibit extremely harsh reactions to the film. While the film celebrates violence on screen, it appears to be no greater than the violence of the critic's tongue. With that being Its worth noting how strong people's reactions are to this film. One one hand, critics say they left feeling nothing and claim the film succeeds in being powerfully emotive; however, they are quick to exhibit extremely harsh reactions to the film. While the film celebrates violence on screen, it appears to be no greater than the violence of the critic's tongue. With that being said, I feel that there is a trend of expectations developing in our critical eye that is damaging to what film represents: film does not need a social agenda -- by requiring it to satisfy your own personal belief systems, you are sacrificing your ability to objectively analyze and study the art. This is clearly a powerful film, with gorgeous imagery, fantastic pacing and tone, and possesses sufficient depth for contemplative and satisfying analysis. Tarentino is a powerful visionary, director auture of our day, and his work should be studied within his own context, not yours. Expand
  8. JosephM.
    Jan 8, 2004
    Don't take this movie too seriously and it is a pretty good time. I don't remember ever seeing this much blood in a movie since Charlton Heston turned the waters to blook in The Ten Commandments... This movie is an instant classic in the martial arts genre and I look forward to volume 2!
  9. JohnC.
    Feb 10, 2004
    This movie splits people up. Either you "Get it" or you dont. If you don't, then I feel sorry for you. But if you do, "get it", then this movie will go down as one of the most entertaining, laughable, over the top, crazy movie you will ever see. Its a conundrum of sorts. Its slow, and fast. Its serious and silly. Its shocking and hilarious. What Kill Bill really is... Its art. Its This movie splits people up. Either you "Get it" or you dont. If you don't, then I feel sorry for you. But if you do, "get it", then this movie will go down as one of the most entertaining, laughable, over the top, crazy movie you will ever see. Its a conundrum of sorts. Its slow, and fast. Its serious and silly. Its shocking and hilarious. What Kill Bill really is... Its art. Its visionary. Its a dream brought to life. Its simple yet intriguing. Its mind-bendingly brutal, but its all taken in jest. I have never laughed so much at such over the top silliness, but it held together without losing one ounce of magnetism for the intrigued watcher. Its like nothing you ever seen before, but at the same time, you have probably seen everything within it before. Its a conundrum. And Quentin Tarantino brings together the whole parody of B-movies to a different level. Its a work of sheer brilliance, and it will go down as being one of the greatest cult films ever made. Absolutely brilliant. I just feel sorry for those who don't "Get it"... But then again, who cares about them anyways? Kill Bill is an amazing film, and one that is unique. Expand
  10. RenanB.
    Feb 21, 2004
    As Ebert said in his review, there is not a real story here, but there is storytelling. It's not so deep or intelligent. IT'S PURE FUN. IT'S ABOUT HAVING FUN. If you don't get this, too bad.
  11. S.
    Feb 25, 2004
    I agree with John C on this one... I got it.
  12. TelyS
    Feb 3, 2004
    Tarantino contiues his exploration into the arts of plagerism with his latest. While I'll take any old school Japanese/Hong Kong action film over Kill Bill, Bill is fun in a way that only Q.T. can make it. Ironicly, the best, most original sequence in the film is also the least nessesary, the anime backstory of O-Ren.
  13. MikeN.
    Feb 9, 2004
    Okay, I like great fight scenes as much as most people. Even more than most people, apparently. But enough is enough. After 90 minutes or so, even non-stop action is no longer exciting.
  14. Uter
    Mar 1, 2004
    It's well done, but the plot is ultra simple. I like the style though.
  15. MichaelC.
    Apr 14, 2004
    Wow! I haven't been this excited about an action movie in a long time. Kill Bill is an extraordinary take on the martial arts action style. It does what last year's Matrix films attempt to do for fight scenes. The scenes are choreographed brilliantly, and the use of cinematography is exceptional. However, as no movie is perfect, it would be unfair to all the movies I bash to not Wow! I haven't been this excited about an action movie in a long time. Kill Bill is an extraordinary take on the martial arts action style. It does what last year's Matrix films attempt to do for fight scenes. The scenes are choreographed brilliantly, and the use of cinematography is exceptional. However, as no movie is perfect, it would be unfair to all the movies I bash to not point out Kill Bill's faults. Dialog in parts of the movie is severely lacking (especially for Tarantino), and the concept of the movie itself (a tale of revenge) is painfully linear. The movie seems to move along as expected with no real twists, even though there are plenty of shocking parts. Overall, I think Vol. 1 did a great job setting up this story. Tarantino has said that we "really haven't seen anything, yet," so I'm incredibly anxious to see where Vol. 2 takes us. I recommend this film for anyone who was a fan of Tarantino's previous work, along with anyone longing for a film to return substance to the action genre after last year's crapfest. Expand
  16. KevinU.
    Apr 21, 2004
    This movie was outstanding, the connection Vol. 1 makes with Vol. 2 makes the two movies perfectly come together, as a martial artist myself I do work with the Katana and it was put to good use in this fantastic movie. The blood spray is just QT's way of showing his famous dark comedy and some people don't understand that. It's supposed to be over done.
  17. Rus-T
    May 1, 2004
    I love reading the comments from those who don't get Tarantino...giggle!
  18. wongit
    Mar 12, 2005
    I didnt like this film when i first saw this film. i had to watch the movie twice in order to tottaly enjoy it and it is a great film. Its violent fun that is definetly a classic. Tarantino does it again.
  19. jonnyreb
    Jun 2, 2006
    Kill Bill is the best movie I have ever seen! The story is simple as hell but the amazing style, the humour, the characters, and amazing scene after amazing scene left me in awe. I dont think I could describe how jaw-dropping this movie is in an essay let a lone a paragraph.
  20. LyndellK.
    Sep 19, 2007
    This Movie Not only is set up in classic QT world with vibrant colors and Crazy places and characters but it is also one of the best filmed movies I've ever seen. And not too mention the end left me out of my seat begging that Vol. 2 would be right after it one of the best movies EVER!
  21. WAKOJAKO
    Oct 11, 2003
    Worth watching if you can stand the wall-to-wall violence, at times so excessive that it's just ludicrous. Some action sequences are so lengthy they begin to test your patience. But in the end, it's Uma Thurman's total commitment to the role of the vengeful Bride that saves this picture from tilting into innanity. Boo to the director for cheating the audience out of the Worth watching if you can stand the wall-to-wall violence, at times so excessive that it's just ludicrous. Some action sequences are so lengthy they begin to test your patience. But in the end, it's Uma Thurman's total commitment to the role of the vengeful Bride that saves this picture from tilting into innanity. Boo to the director for cheating the audience out of the second half and to the greedy producers who agreed to release this film in two parts. One thing for sure: I will see Kill Bill 2, but not until it arrives at the dollar cinema. Expand
  22. NinjaMafia
    Oct 11, 2003
    Kill Bill has been one of my most looked forward to movies of the year. I have to be honest with everyone now, I have never seen Pulp Fiction, Resevoir Dogs, or Jackie Brown, all I knew is that once I saw an interview with Quinten Tarintino and he seemd to be more than obsessed with kung-fu movies. When I heard he was making a kung-fu movie, I thought it was going to be a fantastic movie, Kill Bill has been one of my most looked forward to movies of the year. I have to be honest with everyone now, I have never seen Pulp Fiction, Resevoir Dogs, or Jackie Brown, all I knew is that once I saw an interview with Quinten Tarintino and he seemd to be more than obsessed with kung-fu movies. When I heard he was making a kung-fu movie, I thought it was going to be a fantastic movie, and I wasn't disappointed. The movie is about a bride (whos name is cleverly beeped out whenever somebody says it) who, during her wedding, is brutally slain along with the rest of the wedding party, however, the bride is still alive. She wakes up four years later out for revenge. I don't want to reaveal any more of the story because it was actually suprisingly good. The characters in the movie each have their own very distinct personality, except for the Yakuza henchmen. The action in this movie is really good, which also kind of surprised me because American movies don't seem to have a lot of good kung-fu action in them. This movie is also extremely bloody. Limbs fly, heads roll on the ground, blood gushes unrealistically from almost every stab a character gets. Actually, the blood kind of gives this movie some humor. The unrealistic, 20 gallons of blood from a chopped off arm is laughably cartoonish. But it doesn't really affect the dark mood of the film. Oh and also, the soundtrack to this movie is awesome. I usually don't care for songs in movies because they are usually dull and unmemorable. This movie had songs that got stuck in my head. My only big complaint about this movie is that i have to wait 4 and a half months to see the rest of it. This has got to be the best movie released this year and is definitely going to be one that I will re-watch over and over agin. I haven't even mentioned the anime part of the movie. There is so much going for this movie that I could rant on for weeks. However, people will be disappointed if they walk into this movie expecting one of Quintens other film, from what I've heard, Kill Bill is drastically different from all of his other films. Expand
  23. DavidT.
    Oct 11, 2003
    This movie was breathtaking. Every aspect of it was incredible: from the lighting to the camera angles and the set design to the makeup. At times the movie became a bit over the top and/or drawn out in length of its scenes, it is still a very satisfying experience and a pleasure to watch. Amazing acting!!
  24. SmellySkunk
    Nov 10, 2003
    The most enjoyable movie I've seen this year and I've seen a few! It knocks Reloaded into a cocked hat and then some. A, so far, simple story, a motivated main character and varied styles of film all combine to make an absorbing experience which, once again, shows Tarantino on top of his game. Now what am I going to do until Vol. 2 comes out ?
  25. SteveC.
    Oct 11, 2003
    Other folks have already commented about the violence, but this is to be expected from a QT movie. What is done is style, flash, and a certain tone that is QT at his best. As an interesting aside... I tend to watch sword fighting carefully as I have had a small bit of training. Many of the "moves" Uma makes with her sword are pure Iaido (sword martial art) and she does the moves very Other folks have already commented about the violence, but this is to be expected from a QT movie. What is done is style, flash, and a certain tone that is QT at his best. As an interesting aside... I tend to watch sword fighting carefully as I have had a small bit of training. Many of the "moves" Uma makes with her sword are pure Iaido (sword martial art) and she does the moves very well. She was very well coached. (For example, many of the flurishes after a fight are moves to shake the blood off the blade.) This is a show with at least as much violence as Pulp Fiction, but frankly, I see a much better style and cinematography with this movie. Expand
  26. IanE.
    Oct 11, 2003
    If you are a fan of hongkong cinema you will like this movie. It's a shame so many critics bashed a brilliant film because it went over their heads. Kudos to those critics who got it.
  27. WhitneyP.
    Nov 12, 2003
    Unadulterated Garbage! Don't waste your time.
  28. HoraceA.
    Nov 18, 2003
    Kill Me for being dumb enough to pay for this crap.
  29. GaryF.
    Nov 19, 2003
    Nobita, with all due respect you had to be watching something other than what I was seeing? This movie tried to be another Pulp Fiction and failed miserably. All it is about is blood and gore. I failed to see one redeeming quality in this violent piece of trash. Sorry, but let's say we agree to disagree. Avoid at all costs.
  30. FatTony
    Oct 10, 2003
    This movie was amazing. The way tarantino was able to take the old chinese, japanese and american grindhouse film styles and mix them into one beautiful 2 part film is beyond me.

1. Reviewed by: Jim Agnew
    A hyper-violent, hyper-gory, kung-fu grindhouse flick. And there’s nothing at all wrong with that.
  2. Is Kill Bill a homage to great Asian action movies? Yes. Is Tarantino trying to outdo his cherished masters (on a budget that dwarfs their films)? Of course. Is there any other point of any of this? Let's see "Vol. 2."
    An incomplete movie, artlessly cleft in the middle. Cinema interruptus.