Kill Bill: Vol. 1

8.0

1. Aug 27, 2010
    This movie rocks!! Tarantino brilliantly directs this tale of revenge, honor, blood, action, drama, and kung fu!! Its not for everyone, but I highly recommend it to fans of Tarantino and kung fu!!
  2. Dec 14, 2012
    What do u get when u fuse anime-esque characters with interesting yet ultimately mediocre fight scenes that have been done to death in decades of Chinese Wu-Shia films and mix it all with 70's martial arts music and artstyle all packaged in a sloppy plot that acts as merely an excuse for the over-the-top-to-the-point-of-comedic violence? You get Kill Bill Vol 1, the first part ofWhat do u get when u fuse anime-esque characters with interesting yet ultimately mediocre fight scenes that have been done to death in decades of Chinese Wu-Shia films and mix it all with 70's martial arts music and artstyle all packaged in a sloppy plot that acts as merely an excuse for the over-the-top-to-the-point-of-comedic violence? You get Kill Bill Vol 1, the first part of essentially an elaborate revenge, murderous rampage plan of the so-called ex-killer, 'The Bride' Kiddo. In many respects, the violence in some aspects overshoots its intended artistic form and becomes rather disturbing, even for a fully-grown 22 yo male like myself who indulges often in gory video games. Uma Thurman is brilliant and some visual cinematography is brilliant. The homage to Chinese Wu-Shia and Japanese Samurai films will provide nostalgia for many (like myself, who is 1/4 Japanese and 3/4 Chinese) while if you're not really into those types of films, you may be disappointed. Kill Bill Vol. 1 is very much just a violent showcase of bloodlust and dismembering fetish, where you will laugh, grimace, cringe and get high all at the same time. Its an experience, an unique one that's not for the faint-hearted. If you're expecting a crime/mafia revenge tale, this is not the film you're after. If you want to watch a single, Caucasian blondie cut her way through dozens of human beings all in great, bloodthirsty detail with the occasional backstory, this is that film. Kill Bill Vol. 1 is not a movie. Its a visual, bloodfest with chaotic martial arts sequences that at times, just dont feel fluid or flow as well as the the major martial arts blockbusters from China or Japan. Save this for those drunken nights where you have ran out of anime to watch (unlikely), manga to read (even more unlikely) or decent games to play (impossible). Expand
  3. Aug 16, 2010
    One of those films that you either love or hate. I personally love it and all its stylistic changes, switching back and forth from a spaghetti western to a samurai revenge film in the matter of minutes. The violence is terrific and most of the time completely hilarious, and the storytelling is brilliant throughout.
  4. Sep 10, 2010
    Two thumbs up for this movie ! Professor Tarantino is a genius ! I first noticed Tarantino's name in Nirvana's album "In Utero"..I love Kurt Cobain also...they are both awesome in art !
  5. May 6, 2013
    Kill Bill is a film where director and writer Quentin Tarantino tries out various techniques, not to see if they work, but simply for his own enjoyment and to boast of his talent for detail, especially when so many of these techniques are used simultaneously, which has created an unforgettable opening of a two part tale.
    Uma Thurman stars as a bruised and beaten woman known simply as ‘The
    Uma Thurman stars as a bruised and beaten woman known simply as ‘The Bride’, who is betrayed on her wedding day by her colleagues, a group of dangerous individuals known as the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad, led by Bill (David Carradine).
    When they underestimate The Brides will to live, she eventually awakens from a coma and seeks revenge on those who wronged her, and as the opening quote on the screen suggests, “Revenge is a dish best served cold”, and this woman has nothing but cold and calculated on her mind.
    Tarantino has told the story in a non-linear fashion, using chapters to split up the story, and incorporating various flashbacks of how exactly the wedding scenario played out. But in regards to the bride, she sets off by making a list of those who portrayed her, and its clear from the beginning that this film was always going to be building to something bigger, does it take anything away from the film? Perhaps a little, it certainly stands on its own two feet, but the fact remains that we are introduced to these various characters but only get a handful of them. Saying that, however, the scenes with these particular members of the Deadly Viper group are fantastically gory, anime and exaggerated tone that only Tarantino is capable of pulling off with such gritty means.
    Uma Thurman’s ‘Bride’ is typically cold and in a particular mindset for the film, she delivers her kills with little mercy, perfectly portrayed by Thurman herself, who shows her willingness to throw herself into any role, a junkie in Pulp Fiction and now a deadly assassin.
    The final moments of the film, and the build up are quite remarkable. Tarantino utilises his devices including typical Japanese slashers and even Spagetti Westerns to culminate in a massively colourful fight scene, but the final confrontation between the Bride and O-Ren Ishii (Lucy Liu is a beautifully crafted scene, and a true powerhouse in filmmaking.
    For what it lacks in finalising a story, Kill Bill Vol. 1 certainly makes up for in its unique ability to combine visually striking scenes of blood splattered marvel, and Tarantino is truly at his best.
  6. Alcoholic
    Oct 11, 2003
    Tarantino has done it again!I didn't wait for this movie for nothing. Good mix of great dialogue, unrealism and realism. Go and see it!
  7. John
    Oct 24, 2003
    Kill Bill is absolutely one of the best, if not the best movie out so far this year. The people giving it 0's obviously can't get over the violence factor to appreciate its unique style and all the great detail brought in from the movie genres that this movie is based on. Although gory, it's the kind of over-the-top gore and violence that begins to become desensitizing on Kill Bill is absolutely one of the best, if not the best movie out so far this year. The people giving it 0's obviously can't get over the violence factor to appreciate its unique style and all the great detail brought in from the movie genres that this movie is based on. Although gory, it's the kind of over-the-top gore and violence that begins to become desensitizing on purpose. If Tarantino had wanted, he could have made the gore 100 times more realistic. Instead he is poking fun and paying homage to those kung fu movies, and revenge flicks where all these elements (simple plot, fake gore, no character development) are done just by accident as a result of bad filmmaking. Here it is all done on purpose...some people understand that and can smile, and some people can't. On another note, I really appreciated Uma's performance in this, being someone who has never thought she was that pretty nor talented, but she really shines in this movie. Expand
  8. Roman
    Mar 3, 2004
    To make a movie that does not have any type of plot and still succeeds the way this does shows that QT knows how to tell a story. Of course this movie is violent and if that is the only reason people dont like it, then they are too dumb for this anyways. This is QT's way of showing us the styles of movies that influenced him and most americans dont "get it". This movie is pure fun To make a movie that does not have any type of plot and still succeeds the way this does shows that QT knows how to tell a story. Of course this movie is violent and if that is the only reason people dont like it, then they are too dumb for this anyways. This is QT's way of showing us the styles of movies that influenced him and most americans dont "get it". This movie is pure fun and the young japanese girl steals every scene she is in. This movie is full of violence from beginning to end but it tells it in a way that is articulate and inventive. None of this just shoot the other guys like bad boys or some stupid crap like that. This is storytelling at its best and the anime in the middle proves that most people look at movies and most other things i might add with a narrow point of view and cannot expand their mindset. This was brought to you by a liberal college student with a 3.8 gpa. For the dumbasses who "dont get" this movie, ill take my groceries in plastic please. Expand
  9. DerekM.
    Apr 8, 2004
    The movie rides on pure cinematic flare. It's as if Tarantino is trying to prove that he can make a good movie out of a terrible script. Although I have to be honest. I had a lot of fun watching this film. Most action movies bore me to no end, but not Kill Bill. I sat mesmerized throughout. Overall this movie is just a mindless good time, that you don't have to be mindless to enjoy.
  10. PatC.
    Jun 1, 2004
    Does not have the comprehensive outlook of Pulp Fiction, but the victims are more plentiful and bleed much more profusely. Tarantino fans will quickly realize that he continues to be lucky to have Uma Thurman facilitating his quirky intensity. The plot is basically Thurman's character out to slay five selected persons who wronged her, but she is perfectly willing to dispatch a few Does not have the comprehensive outlook of Pulp Fiction, but the victims are more plentiful and bleed much more profusely. Tarantino fans will quickly realize that he continues to be lucky to have Uma Thurman facilitating his quirky intensity. The plot is basically Thurman's character out to slay five selected persons who wronged her, but she is perfectly willing to dispatch a few hundred of their associates on the fly. As such she does not lend herself well to complex character exposition. But if you buy into the state of affairs inferred upon comatose hospital patients in Texas, you don't care. It's a pathetic story riding a riveting presentation, and as a bonus it solves the age old dilemma of how your average American housewife should break off a knife fight when her daughter comes home from school. Bring on Part II. Expand
  11. JonathanK.
    Jul 14, 2005
    Its obvious most of the people who dont like this movie have a problem with the excessive blood and gore. Well for one you would have to be a moron not to know what you were watching before u went to see the movie. Anybody who saw the previews and truely knows QT work would have known it was going to be excessively violent and it was going to have some disturbing scenes (Resvoir dogs Its obvious most of the people who dont like this movie have a problem with the excessive blood and gore. Well for one you would have to be a moron not to know what you were watching before u went to see the movie. Anybody who saw the previews and truely knows QT work would have known it was going to be excessively violent and it was going to have some disturbing scenes (Resvoir dogs hello?) We saw 2 children watch there parents get murdered, news flash things like that happen everyday thats one of the reasons Kill Bill is a masterpiece and what makes QT so great, he manages to incorperate reality in with exaggerated and sometimes dreamlike non realistic scenes. Kill Bill is like a dream/nightmare with the excessive gore and unrealistic fighting mixed with scenes that are more or less realistic such as the fight with Green in Cali or the inclusion of the Yakuza clan in the story, his technique of not telling the story in chronological order is second to none. Its simply a masterpiece an ode to kung fu, Bruce Lee and anyone that gives it an 0 is a fool a prude or both. Expand
  12. Emmy
    Jul 21, 2005
    I actually couldn't stand Uma Thurman prior to this movie but my respect for her as an actress after seeing her work with Mr. Tarantino on this film has made me a fan of hers. As for the movie itself, I love it. I think the character of Budd best described the entire dilemma of the movie with the line, "that woman deserves her revenge, and we deserve to die...then again, so does I actually couldn't stand Uma Thurman prior to this movie but my respect for her as an actress after seeing her work with Mr. Tarantino on this film has made me a fan of hers. As for the movie itself, I love it. I think the character of Budd best described the entire dilemma of the movie with the line, "that woman deserves her revenge, and we deserve to die...then again, so does she". It's this great bad guy turned protagonist storyline and you find yourself rooting for this character who is actually not a very good person herself. Her redeeming quality is her desire for honest and respectable motherhood, but she is an assassin, or as Bill later puts it, a natural born killer, who enjoys killing people. As for those who said the said there is no humor, you can't tell me that thirteen hours in a truck (with the name "Buck" gave it) spent wiggling her toes to make her legs work didn't induce the smallest of smiles. C'mon now. And as for the "no plot" skeptics, are you kidding? The plotline is classic. Revenge, the most used action plot, and used as it may be, this was an entirely different spin on it. The culmination of kung fu fantasy fighting mixed with good old fashioned western justice makes this action flick a ten for me, and I normally hate gory movies. Expand
  13. VenkatR.
    Dec 25, 2006
    Amazing movie!! Best action movie ever. Quentin tarantino gives a blockbuster.
  14. JayF.
    Feb 19, 2006
    A truly beautiful and violent piece of filmwork from Quentin Tarantino.
  15. JaronR
    Sep 21, 2007
    My favourite movies of all time. Between the over-the-top violence, the brilliant score, and unique (yet firmly stereotypical) characters, you can't lose.
  16. PaulF.
    Nov 26, 2003
    A rating below 7 from people makes me wonder what people want in a movie, or if they even like movies. This one is gold.
  17. Sep 20, 2010
    The one reason that Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is much superb compared with Kill Bill: Vol. 2 is stylistic action with some Asian martial arts style, and entertaining battles.
  18. Nov 8, 2010
    This movie was great! It was funny and action packed! From a blood hungry bride to a Japanese schoolgirl who can wield a ball and chain it was a great movie. Very good storyline too I believe.
  19. Nov 17, 2010
    This and the sequel to this movie are still my favorite movies of ALL TIME. Loved everything about it. yes it's rather gory, but it almost doesn't seem that gory given that's it's given in such a cartoon-ish way, which i Love. I'm utterly amazed that the critics for this movie are so low, i can't get enough of the movie. GREAT fight scenes, and i love how they add little funny tidbitsThis and the sequel to this movie are still my favorite movies of ALL TIME. Loved everything about it. yes it's rather gory, but it almost doesn't seem that gory given that's it's given in such a cartoon-ish way, which i Love. I'm utterly amazed that the critics for this movie are so low, i can't get enough of the movie. GREAT fight scenes, and i love how they add little funny tidbits throughout that story, as well as add quirky sounds throughout the movie, it really keep my attention every single time i watch it. Thumbs WAY up!!! Expand
  20. Dec 4, 2010
    I think this is my favorite Tarantino film. I've seen so many review saying "it was so gory" and the "violence was cheap and fake looking." These comments always make me laugh. You don't get it. This is a homage to kung-fu flicks of the 60's and 70's; they WERE cheap and exaggerated. Most of all they were FUN! If you don't like kung-fu flicks then why on earth would you watch this movie?I think this is my favorite Tarantino film. I've seen so many review saying "it was so gory" and the "violence was cheap and fake looking." These comments always make me laugh. You don't get it. This is a homage to kung-fu flicks of the 60's and 70's; they WERE cheap and exaggerated. Most of all they were FUN! If you don't like kung-fu flicks then why on earth would you watch this movie? This is not a soul searching drama, this is KUNG-FU! Expand
  21. Dec 5, 2010
    My favourite movie ever. Tarantino has delivered a wonderful cult-style film with a fluent mixture of samurai and western style. The one thing I really noticed was how easily it was to sympathize with almost all of the charaters, especially The Bride and Bill
  22. Jun 11, 2012
    With Kill Bill, Quentin Tarantino continues to do what he does best - elevating supposedly "trashy" film genres to credible cinematic fare. Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is packed full of energy and style, with Tarantino's trademark extreme violence and eloquent, machine-gun dialogue. It also has a plethora of film references for cinephiles, mostly from Spaghetti Westerns, Hong Kong martial arts andWith Kill Bill, Quentin Tarantino continues to do what he does best - elevating supposedly "trashy" film genres to credible cinematic fare. Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is packed full of energy and style, with Tarantino's trademark extreme violence and eloquent, machine-gun dialogue. It also has a plethora of film references for cinephiles, mostly from Spaghetti Westerns, Hong Kong martial arts and Samurai films. Tarantino is not afraid to affectionately poke a little fun at the films he is paying homage to, but he never takes it to the extent of parody. Before this film, I'd have never in a million years pictured Uma Thurman as an action heroine, but thankfully Tarantino saw her potential in this role - she is great as the vengeful Bride. It is Lucy Liu and particularly Daryl Hannah who really steal the show performance-wise however, with Liu playing O-Ren Ishii, an honourable assassin-turned-mob leader, and Hannah playing Elle Driver, a considerably less honourable, and far more malicious former assassin. The action is superb, the fight scenes creative, well-choreographed and bloody, notably The Bride's brutal fight with Ishii's schoolgirl bodyguard Gogo (a particularly menacing Chiaki Kuriyama) and the following rather serene and beautiful duel with Ishii herself. Unfortunately, the sequence that links these two truly exceptional one-on-ones, involving The Bride hacking her way through wave after wave of henchmen, is more than a little overblown and excessive - the first dismembered limb and fountain of blood is shocking, but a long succession of the same gets a bit dull. My favourite scene of the whole film was an unexpected Japanese Anime segment that explores O-Ren Ishii's origins, and is an emotionally charged refreshing change of pace from the rest of the film. The first volume of Kill Bill is not only a fine example of a revenge movie that effectively adopts the stylistic conventions of numerous other genres, but it's a brilliant example of exciting film storytelling on its own terms to boot. The extent of Quentin Tarantino's film knowledge is still staggering, and he remains a true auteur gifted in all aspects of filmmaking, from cinematography and editing to screenwriting and selecting tracks for the film's eclectic and brilliant soundtrack. Other than a slightly monotonous grisly extended fight scene, I have incredibly little about Kill Bill Volume 1 to criticise - it's a brilliant, blood-splattered love-letter to the less artistically admired, but no less cinematically important filmmakers, and perfectly sets you up for the stunning conclusion to The Bride's quest for revenge in Vol. 2. Expand
  23. Jul 22, 2011
    Kill Bill isn't supposed to be believable. Kill Bill is: gory, ridiculous, It's pure, unfiltered Tarantino. Kill Bill is: Cool. Brilliant, timeless classic, which is exactly what to expect from Quentin. Vol 1 and 2 are one of those kind of movies that I have to watch every time I see it on cable. It just never gets old.
  24. Aug 8, 2011
    What?? I watched the best fight scene on my whole life this morning. I couldnt stop and watched vol2 too on the same day. It was total blood bath and i loved it. It would be an insult to to give this movie anything but 10 :)
  25. Sep 17, 2011
    whatever you have t say about quentin tarantino, you can't say he doesn't know how to make a good action scene. kill bill is all about the action. it is a roller coaster of action scenes that are worth watching 'till the last drop of blood. the gore was maybe a bit overdone, and if you don't like actio, than the rest won't please you either.
  26. Apr 21, 2013
    The most violent, most sexy and most pure brawler action movie I've seen. The story, like Pulp Fiction, is as minimal as possible; only existing to explain the motives behind all the violence. Uma Thurman looks stunning in this film, and the combat scenes are not only directed with style and perfection, but they're also quite comical at points. It's almost like a Jackie Chan cartoon onlyThe most violent, most sexy and most pure brawler action movie I've seen. The story, like Pulp Fiction, is as minimal as possible; only existing to explain the motives behind all the violence. Uma Thurman looks stunning in this film, and the combat scenes are not only directed with style and perfection, but they're also quite comical at points. It's almost like a Jackie Chan cartoon only with sharp-edged weapons and a lot of uncensored violence. In fact, the amount of blood and gore can seem a bit too much given the cartoony style of the film. But the scenes are top notch. Quentin Tarantino sure knows how to direct action scenes well. The only criticism I have is that there's no real story, so you're just watching a compilation of action scenes rather than a movie experience. Expand
  27. Oct 7, 2011
    Smart, funny, very well performed and directed, a reference in the non-asiatic ninja film history. Like always with Tarantino, all the characters are awesome, and you can do a spin-off with every one of them. Really.
  28. Apr 8, 2013
    Damn, if you where to watch vol 2 before this one (like i did) you would LOVE kill bill vol 1. I can see why people wouldn't like it, seeing how its mostly shooty shooty bangy bangy and very little plot in between (most of this plot is later found in vol 2). But hey, i love it. What can i say, it was one of the first Tarantino movies i ever watched and i love it.
  29. Nov 16, 2011
    I recently just watched both movies for the first time i have to by it self this movie is not much to talk about, but seeing vol.2 the movie was extremely better. Its hard to say whats Quentin Tarantino's best film but this ranks up there.
  30. Mar 4, 2012
    Visually stunning and magnificently gory, KIll Bill Vol. 1 is one of Tarintino's best films in my opinion. After The Bride, Uma Thurman, was betrayed by her boss, Bill, she is slapped in to a coma and left to wonder what happened to her baby. With an interesting story to complement beautiful violence, Kill Bill Vol. 1 is a true masterpiece.

1. Reviewed by: Jim Agnew
    A hyper-violent, hyper-gory, kung-fu grindhouse flick. And there’s nothing at all wrong with that.
  2. Is Kill Bill a homage to great Asian action movies? Yes. Is Tarantino trying to outdo his cherished masters (on a budget that dwarfs their films)? Of course. Is there any other point of any of this? Let's see "Vol. 2."
    An incomplete movie, artlessly cleft in the middle. Cinema interruptus.