7.4

1. LavanyaJ
    Jun 9, 2005
    Bang bang he shot me down bang bang that awful sound the best campy movie ever! its a classic tarantino!
  2. Alcoholic
    Oct 11, 2003
    Tarantino has done it again!I didn't wait for this movie for nothing. Good mix of great dialogue, unrealism and realism. Go and see it!
  3. AnoldR.
    Jan 6, 2004
    One hell of a movie to come back with, excellent, kept me on the edge of my seat while laughing my arse off, can't wait untill volume 2 comes out in Feb.
  4. GalS.
    Jan 9, 2004
    i have the movie on DVD, and every time I watch it I wanna be in the movie (wtf?!)......it is good!!!!!! although this movie is very bloody its also bloody good!
  5. ChadH.
    May 10, 2004
    Best movie of the year for SURE! i cant wait for the second one.
  6. DillB.
    May 30, 2004
    This is one of the greatest movies of all time. Just the way that they set up the scenes and then execute all of the cool scenes. I am saying this from a director's point of view and this has to be one of the greatest movies of all time. I have already seen it about 200 times and it is still one of my favorite movies and it hasn't gotten old yet.
  7. Sean
    Jul 1, 2004
    Amazing. If you enjoy action at all, you will love this movie.
  8. marshallm
    Oct 20, 2005
    Hands down, one of my favorites, but kill bill vol. 2 is even better! and this one is hard to top.
  9. JohnE
    Oct 9, 2006
    Absolute classic revenge movie, Tarantino gives the genre the respect it reserves. This was obviously a tribute to films that have inspired him, but still had Tarantino's signature touches.
  10. MichaelY.
    Apr 6, 2007
    The most exciting moviegoing experience I have ever had in the theater...I don't know whether that makes it a great movie, but it can't hurt. Tarantino pulls out all the stops, showing all of his skills, and gives the audience a helluva ride.
  11. MikeFlex
    Oct 11, 2003
    Kill Bill may not have been the greatest movie I've ever seen, but it is, wthout a doubt, one of the coolest. For the first time, Tarantino's direction takes the lead over his script and it pays off in the best movie of his career not named Pulp Fiction. Besides, all you needs a sense of humor and a love of Sonny Chiba.
  12. PaulM.
    Oct 10, 2003
    This movie is like a cinematic roller-coaster, and you ride a roller coaster for the thrill of pounding down a track at breakneck speeds and for the spray of adrenals...in that it succeeds majestically...to require this movie to do anything else is to shortchange it...Bravo Quentin...this baby rocks at 90 miles an hour...
  13. Ishii
    Oct 13, 2003
    Yes, my last name is Ishii - same as O-ren Ishii in the film. Anyhoo, this movie kicked ass. It's all about Uma Thurman going around ruining everyone's sh.t. 100% great entertainment.
  14. JoshuaW.
    Oct 14, 2003
    Forget Uma Thurman's quest for justice, Tarantino is back with his own vengeance in Kill Bill. Every year there's mabye 5-10 films that are worth while, and only about half of those are cinematic gems at that. Kill Bill is certainly one of those gems.
  15. JaredS.
    Oct 15, 2003
    Wow! This truly is a movie buffs wet dream! I wouldn't have seen this movie four times in three days if I didn't mean that, and I'm prime to see it again. Volume 2 now has a lot to live up to, but you know as well as I do, that Tarantino can pull it off. Bravo, QT! Continue your legendary career with whatever you'd like, because if this is the result, long live the king!
  16. John
    Oct 24, 2003
    Kill Bill is absolutely one of the best, if not the best movie out so far this year. The people giving it 0's obviously can't get over the violence factor to appreciate its unique style and all the great detail brought in from the movie genres that this movie is based on. Although gory, it's the kind of over-the-top gore and violence that begins to become desensitizing on Kill Bill is absolutely one of the best, if not the best movie out so far this year. The people giving it 0's obviously can't get over the violence factor to appreciate its unique style and all the great detail brought in from the movie genres that this movie is based on. Although gory, it's the kind of over-the-top gore and violence that begins to become desensitizing on purpose. If Tarantino had wanted, he could have made the gore 100 times more realistic. Instead he is poking fun and paying homage to those kung fu movies, and revenge flicks where all these elements (simple plot, fake gore, no character development) are done just by accident as a result of bad filmmaking. Here it is all done on purpose...some people understand that and can smile, and some people can't. On another note, I really appreciated Uma's performance in this, being someone who has never thought she was that pretty nor talented, but she really shines in this movie. Expand
  17. LuisC.
    Oct 28, 2003
    This and Lost in Translation are thest films of the year so far. Bring on ROTK!
  18. ArtherS.
    Oct 9, 2003
    This movie is awesome. And I shoud know, cuz I'm really smart at judging these kind of things! It is awesome. What can I say!
  19. JohnC.
    Feb 10, 2004
    This movie splits people up. Either you "Get it" or you dont. If you don't, then I feel sorry for you. But if you do, "get it", then this movie will go down as one of the most entertaining, laughable, over the top, crazy movie you will ever see. Its a conundrum of sorts. Its slow, and fast. Its serious and silly. Its shocking and hilarious. What Kill Bill really is... Its art. Its This movie splits people up. Either you "Get it" or you dont. If you don't, then I feel sorry for you. But if you do, "get it", then this movie will go down as one of the most entertaining, laughable, over the top, crazy movie you will ever see. Its a conundrum of sorts. Its slow, and fast. Its serious and silly. Its shocking and hilarious. What Kill Bill really is... Its art. Its visionary. Its a dream brought to life. Its simple yet intriguing. Its mind-bendingly brutal, but its all taken in jest. I have never laughed so much at such over the top silliness, but it held together without losing one ounce of magnetism for the intrigued watcher. Its like nothing you ever seen before, but at the same time, you have probably seen everything within it before. Its a conundrum. And Quentin Tarantino brings together the whole parody of B-movies to a different level. Its a work of sheer brilliance, and it will go down as being one of the greatest cult films ever made. Absolutely brilliant. I just feel sorry for those who don't "Get it"... But then again, who cares about them anyways? Kill Bill is an amazing film, and one that is unique. Expand
  20. S.
    Feb 25, 2004
    I agree with John C on this one... I got it.
  21. Roman
    Mar 3, 2004
    To make a movie that does not have any type of plot and still succeeds the way this does shows that QT knows how to tell a story. Of course this movie is violent and if that is the only reason people dont like it, then they are too dumb for this anyways. This is QT's way of showing us the styles of movies that influenced him and most americans dont "get it". This movie is pure fun To make a movie that does not have any type of plot and still succeeds the way this does shows that QT knows how to tell a story. Of course this movie is violent and if that is the only reason people dont like it, then they are too dumb for this anyways. This is QT's way of showing us the styles of movies that influenced him and most americans dont "get it". This movie is pure fun and the young japanese girl steals every scene she is in. This movie is full of violence from beginning to end but it tells it in a way that is articulate and inventive. None of this just shoot the other guys like bad boys or some stupid crap like that. This is storytelling at its best and the anime in the middle proves that most people look at movies and most other things i might add with a narrow point of view and cannot expand their mindset. This was brought to you by a liberal college student with a 3.8 gpa. For the dumbasses who "dont get" this movie, ill take my groceries in plastic please. Expand
  22. KevinU.
    Apr 21, 2004
    This movie was outstanding, the connection Vol. 1 makes with Vol. 2 makes the two movies perfectly come together, as a martial artist myself I do work with the Katana and it was put to good use in this fantastic movie. The blood spray is just QT's way of showing his famous dark comedy and some people don't understand that. It's supposed to be over done.
  23. GustavW.
    Jan 15, 2005
    Absolutely gorgeous!
  24. JoeyBoy
    Mar 8, 2005
    The most classic action movie ever made.
  25. NickD.
    Jun 17, 2005
    It's so sad we didn't get to reading the lowest scoring critic review. What would they have to say for themselves? If one cannot see through the "gory" (blood squirting in fountains, cartoony if you ask me) spots and see how incredibly stylish this movie is... Every single moment, every single chopped off arm is full of tension, action, and even humor! Incredible how he combines It's so sad we didn't get to reading the lowest scoring critic review. What would they have to say for themselves? If one cannot see through the "gory" (blood squirting in fountains, cartoony if you ask me) spots and see how incredibly stylish this movie is... Every single moment, every single chopped off arm is full of tension, action, and even humor! Incredible how he combines those key elements harmoniously, fused with great acting and strangely enough believable characters... It's the Bohemian Rhapsody of movies; something of everything, but never coming short. Why do some people see a 10 for a given opinion as if that person is a fanboy? This is one of the movies that's worth it. Collapse
  26. naosha
    Jun 8, 2005
    So good i watched i watched it 15 times in 10 days.
  27. AdamH.
    May 8, 2006
    This Movie Rocks!!
  28. jonnyreb
    Jun 2, 2006
    Kill Bill is the best movie I have ever seen! The story is simple as hell but the amazing style, the humour, the characters, and amazing scene after amazing scene left me in awe. I dont think I could describe how jaw-dropping this movie is in an essay let a lone a paragraph.
  29. LyndellK.
    Sep 19, 2007
    This Movie Not only is set up in classic QT world with vibrant colors and Crazy places and characters but it is also one of the best filmed movies I've ever seen. And not too mention the end left me out of my seat begging that Vol. 2 would be right after it one of the best movies EVER!
  30. IanE.
    Oct 11, 2003
    If you are a fan of hongkong cinema you will like this movie. It's a shame so many critics bashed a brilliant film because it went over their heads. Kudos to those critics who got it.
  31. FatTony
    Oct 10, 2003
    This movie was amazing. The way tarantino was able to take the old chinese, japanese and american grindhouse film styles and mix them into one beautiful 2 part film is beyond me.
  32. KeisariJ.
    Nov 20, 2003
    And I thought Tarantino was out of aces, but he managed to draw one out of his sleeve, again! To me, Tarantino is above the God himself. I can´t believe that this was only a vol.1, can´t wait the second one!
  33. S.Y.
    Oct 12, 2003
    This movie was for us...not them it rocked. period.
  34. ChanningS.
    Oct 13, 2003
    Incredible movie. QT at his best. Near perfect. Mesmerizing. I agree completely with Roger Ebert. The critics that don't get it, don't get it. Some kind of wonderful. Don't read reviews, just see it.
  35. LeonC.
    Oct 13, 2003
    Anyone who doesn't like this movie simply does not understand it. it is brilliant in every sense of film, and it is about time a director makes as ballsy a move as this one and really trademark a movie as his own. anyone who does not like this film has either not done their homework or has no taste whatsoever.
  36. BrianS.
    Oct 17, 2003
    Loved every minute of it.
  37. MacJustice
    Oct 19, 2003
    An utterly brilliant exercise in style. Those complaining of the violence are ignoring the part of their humanity that thirsts for chaos and destruction. Every element of this movie, from the soundtrack, to the cinematography, the editing, costume and set design, and acting of this movie is done just so, to the point where it is like a well crafted samurai sword, folded upon itself over An utterly brilliant exercise in style. Those complaining of the violence are ignoring the part of their humanity that thirsts for chaos and destruction. Every element of this movie, from the soundtrack, to the cinematography, the editing, costume and set design, and acting of this movie is done just so, to the point where it is like a well crafted samurai sword, folded upon itself over and over until it reaches perfection. This movie may not try to teach you any life lessons, but it is a visceral, sublime experience in pure cinematic enjoyment. Expand
  38. ChrisD.
    Oct 19, 2003
    Anyone who cannot see what he is doing is this film needs to take the critic's dunce cap off and enjoy an excellent homage.
  39. Trevor
    Oct 21, 2003
    A perfect martial arts film. Just the kind of exuberant, exhiliarating, preposterous film you could hope for from Tarantino and then some. I haven't had so much fun in a movie theater in many years, maybe ever. Kill Bill is a genuine work of art that pays wonderful tribute to such classic samurai films as Yojimbo and Sanjuro, just to name a few. The soundtrack also perfectly matched A perfect martial arts film. Just the kind of exuberant, exhiliarating, preposterous film you could hope for from Tarantino and then some. I haven't had so much fun in a movie theater in many years, maybe ever. Kill Bill is a genuine work of art that pays wonderful tribute to such classic samurai films as Yojimbo and Sanjuro, just to name a few. The soundtrack also perfectly matched the film and I think Tarantino did a fine job selecting the music. All in all, Kill Bill is practially flawless. It's a masterpiece. Expand
  40. KobeeH.
    Oct 20, 2003
    Tarantino Masterpiece. Leaving Kill Bill, there was a sense of awe at what I had just seen. It is truly unbelievable that this is only Quentin's 4th movie! I mean even some of the best directors like Spielberg and Scorcese had warm up periods before blowing the audiences away. Mr. Tarantino did it right out the gate with Reservoir Dogs, and he keeps at it. Kill Bill has so many Tarantino Masterpiece. Leaving Kill Bill, there was a sense of awe at what I had just seen. It is truly unbelievable that this is only Quentin's 4th movie! I mean even some of the best directors like Spielberg and Scorcese had warm up periods before blowing the audiences away. Mr. Tarantino did it right out the gate with Reservoir Dogs, and he keeps at it. Kill Bill has so many styles thrown in that you would think it would have to be horrible. But it's all executed so damn well that you're just amazed! He has created an live-action anime. But more importantly, an excellent, engaging revenge story. He is a genius. He is having a full-blown love affair with movies, and it shows. From crime stories to paying homage to a slew of asian films, he is an incredible visionary. An incredible artist. Trust me. See Kill Bill:Volume One and join me in frothing over the release of Volume Two in Feburary. Expand
  41. TokerC.
    Oct 20, 2003
    This movie is a pilgrimage to Tarantino's holy land, a stylistic visual orgasm defining his perception of art. Tarantino marched to Mecca, samurai sword in hand and fulfilled a cinematic dream, filming an ode to kungfu masterpieces in an in-your-face theme park thrill ride effort. The film does what it?s supposed to do, and nothing more. The film is what it?s intended to be and This movie is a pilgrimage to Tarantino's holy land, a stylistic visual orgasm defining his perception of art. Tarantino marched to Mecca, samurai sword in hand and fulfilled a cinematic dream, filming an ode to kungfu masterpieces in an in-your-face theme park thrill ride effort. The film does what it?s supposed to do, and nothing more. The film is what it?s intended to be and nothing less. Tarantino?s genius is accomplishing his vision with perfect precision, and timing, allowing the audience to experience his creativity on his level. Anything else would have been a perverted disaster. Expand
  42. Marc-o
    Oct 22, 2003
    This film was the daddy!!! A few points 1: Too Short i could easily of done the whole 3 hours 2: The best Friday night i have spent at the cinema 3: Don't know about you guys but i'm going to see that again.
  43. SongK.
    Oct 27, 2003
    A movie that pleases you all over. There is so much action, comedy, gore, and fighting. This movie deserves way more. The low rating are from people who have a hard time seeing humor and get offended easily. You have to see this movie if you love fighting and gory movies.
  44. UnzippedZach
    Oct 31, 2003
    Love it or hate it. loved it because it went places no one ever dares/wants to go. and thats something you dont see everyday in a movie. and so i gave this film a perfect ten because it offend's people and carries a great big set of balls.
  45. NicolasO.
    Oct 9, 2003
    Quentin's back, and he's in shape like never. This movie rocks, and it's the best I've ever seen.
  46. KyleA.
    Jan 31, 2004
    I LOVED this film, and im not even particularly a fan of martial-arts movies (In fact, i think this is the only one i've ever liked). As for the people that gave this movie a 0, they just didn't "get" the film. I took it as a bloody, comedy/spoof of martial arts films with almost no plotline, which is what Tarantino intended, but also is why it's so incredible! There is I LOVED this film, and im not even particularly a fan of martial-arts movies (In fact, i think this is the only one i've ever liked). As for the people that gave this movie a 0, they just didn't "get" the film. I took it as a bloody, comedy/spoof of martial arts films with almost no plotline, which is what Tarantino intended, but also is why it's so incredible! There is nothing else like out there even remotely similar to this film. Tarantino is a genius. Expand
  47. CameronS.
    Feb 26, 2004
    Quentin Tarantino has compared his new masterpiece to be his great kung fu, Revenge, Epic Spaghetti Western picture. He admires Sergio Leone more than any of directors to my knowledge. But there is another director that I am reminded of the resonance similar to Quentin Tarantino, that man is Stanley Kubrick. The production of this project and the long wait between features for these Quentin Tarantino has compared his new masterpiece to be his great kung fu, Revenge, Epic Spaghetti Western picture. He admires Sergio Leone more than any of directors to my knowledge. But there is another director that I am reminded of the resonance similar to Quentin Tarantino, that man is Stanley Kubrick. The production of this project and the long wait between features for these directors is pretty alike. Kill Bill is more than just Quentin Tarantino?s epic grindhouse western revenge martial arts masterpiece, it?s his 2001: A Space Odyssey. When Kubrick did 2001, there was a gap of four years between that one and one of Kubrick?s other masterpieces, Dr. Strangelove, while it has been six years since Quentin Tarantino has directed a film. 2001 was also [plagued] by over running the budget and going extremely over schedule. The production of that movie lasted four years. Kill Bill didn?t go on that long, but it did go quite over budget and was in production for much longer than suspected. There was a great celebration Another great connection to be made between the two chef d'oeuvres is the music. Kubrick revolutionized the way music was to be used in the movies with 2001, Tarantino marvels his scenes with great music. They?re usually popular songs and are used very well in each scene, and ring well with the action on screen. Although Kill Bill (after volume 1) isn?t Tarantino?s finest, it is his epic, just the same as 2001 wasn?t Kubrick?s greatest film, but his greatest achievement. All the technical parts to the film work extremely well with the great, physical acting & the inordinate screenplay & narrative. The editing is great, something that action films of late have lacked in. And the cinematography is one of the years best. Twice, I noticed a great white light behind characters. The first white, symbolic, Christ-like lighting comes from the character Hattori Hanzo (Sonny Chiba), who befriends The Bride (Uma Thurman) and builds her, without ego, his greatest sword ever. He knows that the sword will kill many men, and tells The Bride that if she comes face to face with God, the sword will cut him. These little moments that are involved in this kind of metaphorical lighting should seal some cinematography nomination come Oscar season. And the production design is also very lustrous and symbolic. There isn?t much to the story. The Bride belonged to a ?bad? Charlie?s Angels group, called the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad, or DiVAS. She decided to leave this squad, and get on with a life of her own. She was pregnant and to marry, when the uninvited guests showed up, and killed 8 people at the wedding. The Bride was to marry, and was pregnant with Bill?s child, she tells him this before he puts a bullet in her head. Four years later, she wakes up from a comatose to exact her revenge on the DiVAS. Her list reads: 1. O-Ren Ishii, AKA Cottonmouth (Lucy Liu), 2. Vernita Green, AKA Copperhead (Vivica A. Fox), 3. Budd, AKA Sidewinder, 4. Elle Driver/California Mountain Snake, and 5. Bill. You?ll have to wait until February to see Uma Thurman Kill Bill. But, in the year 2003, you will get to see, Uma Thurman, KILL LOT?S of PEOPLE, most all of them guilty. There isn?t anything wrong with the films? elementary plot, the execution is right one for everything A real interesting thing that was done in Kill Bill was to serialize it, the film is cut into chapters, much like Flash Gordon and other serials of the thirties and fourties. The unfolding chapters are each about a reel long, and the film also includes a prologue. This also gives me the idea of-What if the film had been cut up into 10 or so installments? Just a thought, not really a good idea, just a throwback to the Lost Art and I suspect that something like that will happen soon. O-Ren Ishii, the most developed antagonist since probably Darth Vader?But Darth Vader didn?t benefit from a flashback story being told from Luke?s point of view (Unless George Lucas decides to add in something when he further molests his classics). O-Ren?s story involves one of great pain and sorrow. And how she grows to great success. Her story is told in what could go down as one of the greatest, most emotional anime sequences ever. Without letting too much out, we start to feel a lot of sympathy for her, as it is already known that she dies by a clue earlier in the film. But there is a very funny, part that comes after that. She is the new leader of the Japanese Yakuza, and is being putdown by an older gentleman. He declares her election as a perverse intrusion on the Yakuza tradition, and calls her describes her heritage as negative. There is quite a payoff to be seen. As with the whole chapter that she envelopes. The film is quite violent. Easily the most violent, in terms of gore, ?R? certified American movie released on 3,000+ screens. And it may be gratuitous, but in a very likeable, comic sense. Limbs fly awry all over the House of the Blue Leaves, the largest part of this movie. And the film sports an unearthly body count. 109 dead or wounded. If you really feel the movie is incomplete, try to divulge on what happens throughout its arc. This is a movie with three individual acts. The first act introduces us to its characters, the second act has The Bride travel to Okinawa and learns how to sword fight, and receives her grand weapon. The third act would be the House of Blue Leaves. The best reason to see this film, although there are other reasons. Also, take a good look at Reloaded, was that really a complete movie? And remember, it?s not hype when it?s this good. As far as the complaints of having to pay twice as much for a whole three and a half-hour movie, I can?t quite disagree with this outcry. But the movie is intense and great, and has quite an ending that brings a huge twist for the second film, one greater than that of Matrix: Reloaded. Which is another movie that you have to pay twice for?What if you had to sit through the entire 7-hour prequel Trilogy? Let?s not be hypocritical, The Matrix sequels are on a pretty similar basis. Gene Siskel once asked a question about bad movies. Could a movie about the actors & crew eating lunch, behind the scenes make for a more interesting film? The answer would be false if you were talking about Kill Bill, but boy would I like to see one on the DVD. Kill Bill is what I would refer to as ?Real Cinema?. One of a few entries of the year, this is what I would classify as the first ?Action Masterpiece? of the 21st Century. A similar benchmark was made last year, with Punch-Drunk Love being the first ?Romantic Masterpiece? of the 21st Century. Expand
  48. JaneT.
    Mar 29, 2004
    I think it rocked. I will admit, at first I was almost ready to leave because of the violence (which I wasn't used to), but my friend who's a kung fu/grind house geek stopped me and said this is how these movies are. And he's right. After watching KB, I did some research and noticed many of QT's inspiration movies to be bloody. I think this is the main reason for I think it rocked. I will admit, at first I was almost ready to leave because of the violence (which I wasn't used to), but my friend who's a kung fu/grind house geek stopped me and said this is how these movies are. And he's right. After watching KB, I did some research and noticed many of QT's inspiration movies to be bloody. I think this is the main reason for people hating it. I almost did, until I did some research. I feel sorry for the people who didn't enjoy it or understand it for its film value. Sorry you guys and girls missed out on the fun. It is plainly obvious he did loot obsessively from other movies, but at least it didn't look cheap and nasty on screen. I would call his looting 'DADA' (found objects) lol. Expand
    Apr 13, 2004
    Excellent movie, I don't really see why people are complaining about the blood, gore and violence - it's reated R for a reason, if you can't handle it then don't see it. Can't wait for part 2.
  50. JimJ.
    Apr 15, 2004
    This movie is incredible. Wowzers. Can't wait for Vol. 2!
  51. MikeK.
    Apr 17, 2004
    I don't care what people say that it's stupid it's the people who said that are dumb. QT is so cool and i like the music he picked in the movie even in his other movies pulp fiction and resavoir dogs are also good so this and the other movies are so cool. i just like seeing them.
  52. ShaunT.
    Apr 20, 2004
    Tarantino has done it again!
  53. JonathanH.
    Apr 2, 2004
    Wonderful style over substance, strangely brilliant in its own way, with a amazingly great performance from Uma Thurman, it lags in the middle just a bit but then picks back up.
  54. BenjaminB.
    Apr 20, 2004
    Tarantino has long made cinema pastiche his trademark, and here he expounds upon his artistry tenfold--this is not a story told to be a believable story, maybe the story isn't even the point--the art and execution (hehe) of this film is so top-notch that it's over the top...gives tingly pleasure to my brain. Yum.
  55. KatieB.
    Apr 22, 2004
    QT is a wonderful director. He proved it with Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, and he has simply outdone himself with KBV1. The best thing about watching this movie was thinking about how much fun they must have had making it. The worst part was that I had to wait 4 more months to see Volume 2!
  56. AdrianW.
    May 26, 2004
    Genius. Absolute genius. It's actually NOT gory. And it's actually NOT that violent. It's beautiful, and stylish. The Bride vs. the Crazy 88's is a display verging on the poetic. And the critics from the San Francisco Chronicle, the Wall St. Journal and the New Yorker have made a fools of themselves. I can understand a critic having reservations and some objections, Genius. Absolute genius. It's actually NOT gory. And it's actually NOT that violent. It's beautiful, and stylish. The Bride vs. the Crazy 88's is a display verging on the poetic. And the critics from the San Francisco Chronicle, the Wall St. Journal and the New Yorker have made a fools of themselves. I can understand a critic having reservations and some objections, but anyone who has ever loved movies will see at least a love of film in ample evidence on that screen. Perhaps a condor raking their privates with its razor sharp talons would snap them out of their torpor. Expand
  57. LockneO.
    May 31, 2004
    Kill Bill, Volume 1 is a great example of a fantastic movie. Tarantino succeeds while directing the film in Tokyo, California, and Texas. Uma Thurman and Lucy Liu both play the parts of assassins beautifully. The directing is beautifully accepted. The suspense and drama of this story combine to make an invigorating work of art.
  58. WalterP.
    Jun 10, 2004
    Dam good movie, it is one of the best movies ever made. Good job Tarantino you've done it again.
  59. CarlosB.
    Jul 4, 2004
    I dont know how there exist people that does not aprecciate a masterpiece like this, not movie, miracle.
  60. ReeceH.
    Mar 13, 2005
    This movie was so cool!
  61. RogerS.
    Mar 3, 2005
    THE BEST!
  62. JackB.
    Apr 22, 2006
    This movie is one of the best that I've EVER seen. Also, the blood and gore is part of the style.
  63. Saige
    Aug 23, 2006
    I love this movie. Quentin Tarantino has a pretty twisted mind, but all his corny violence is what makes the movie so great. I loved the anime scene.
  64. pabloe
    Nov 9, 2007
    It
  65. KyleH.
    Jun 5, 2007
    This was the first Quentin Tarantino movie I have ever seen and I could not stop watching. My eyes were glued to the screen. I was in awe and even the several times after that when I would watch this film everyday while waiting for Volume 2 to be released on DVD. It all just fits together so well with the promise of an excellent second half. This is a must see!
  66. EddieV.
    Mar 15, 2009
    The best vendetta movie ever... Great plot, sensational cast, and superb dialog. Thank you Quentin!
  67. KM
    Mar 19, 2009
    Love the absolute brutality of the film, great revenge flick.
  68. NobitaN.
    Nov 19, 2003
    DO NOT watch this movie for satire. DO NOT watch this movie if you'd rather laugh at things than laugh WITH them. DO NOT watch this movie if your expecting a Hong Kong style Kungfu flick (it's more of a samurai flick). DO watch this movie if you love sincere straightforward movies of any kind. Sincerity is this movies strong point. This movie believes in itself every step of the DO NOT watch this movie for satire. DO NOT watch this movie if you'd rather laugh at things than laugh WITH them. DO NOT watch this movie if your expecting a Hong Kong style Kungfu flick (it's more of a samurai flick). DO watch this movie if you love sincere straightforward movies of any kind. Sincerity is this movies strong point. This movie believes in itself every step of the way, and if you pay attention you will too. As ridiculous as some of the scenes may sound in synopsis, they play out with such gravity that they take you out of the theatre and into the story. Watch this movie if you love good storytelling. Expand
  69. BrandonS.
    Oct 12, 2003
    This movie was for us not them...hmm, I'm sort of wondering what the hell that means. Oh yeah, wait until both come out on video, then watch them in a row, it'll be better that way, this really is half a movie.
  70. SarahM.
    Nov 28, 2003
    Absolutley amazing! I'm speechless with awe at Tarantio's amazing work!
  71. BillC.
    Oct 14, 2003
    Quentin Tarantino makes movies for people that loves movies. That's why I love of his flicks, even the underrated Jackie Brown. This movie is simply awesome--visually, script-wise, performances, special effects--ALL AROUND AWESOME. Can't wait for volume II.
  72. Elliott
    Oct 14, 2003
    You can easily credit all of Tarantino's films with being masterpieces (with the exception of the ill-developed Jackie Brown), but Kill Bill is far and away his most entertaining work thus far. I haven't had such a blast at the theater in a long, long time. I can't wait for the next installment.
  73. ChadS.
    Oct 14, 2003
    The New York Critics Film Circle gave Best Actress to Cameron Diaz for "There's Something About Mary" in 1998. Uma Thurman's performance is another instance of strong acting from an equally unlikely source. Think about it. In a 2003 mainstream film(as of Oct.): Who is more memorable than Thurman's "The Bride"? American filmmakers like Todd Solondz(who Tarantino might be The New York Critics Film Circle gave Best Actress to Cameron Diaz for "There's Something About Mary" in 1998. Uma Thurman's performance is another instance of strong acting from an equally unlikely source. Think about it. In a 2003 mainstream film(as of Oct.): Who is more memorable than Thurman's "The Bride"? American filmmakers like Todd Solondz(who Tarantino might be satirizing when Thurman squares off with Fox) and David Gordon Green are more to my liking, but "Kill Bill: Volume 1", for what it wants to be, The Action Film By Which All Others Will Be Judged, is nothing less than a masterpiece. Tarantino notwithstanding, the editing and RZA's soundtrack work are brilliant. But it all comes down to Uma Thurman. Be she willing her toe to wiggle, slicin' and dicin' men(and women), or apologizing to the precocious; Thurman appropriates a corresponding demeanor and/or line delivery that is perfect. If there's a flaw, which wouldn't be one had the film been kept intact, it's the "anime" sequence. It becomes too prominent with this shorter running time. Expand
  74. SteveyG.
    Nov 5, 2003
    This movie was brilliant! A+
    Oct 17, 2003
    Rarely has an action movie been so entertaining and incredibly memorable a week later. A true standout of style, emotion and character that is rarely seen on the big screen in this day and age. If there's one complaint to be had, it's that by the time the film ends, you're ready for another 2 hours of controlled mayhem. Mr. Bay and Mr. Bruckheimer should be taking notes.
  76. ToshiroM.
    Oct 17, 2003
    Ok, kids, listen up. If you have not seen Samurai films or HK movies, then you don't understand what this is about. The picture opens like a Shaw Brothers' production (Shaw Brothers made a ton of Martial Arts films in HK, years ago) and continues like a hybrid of Asian cult cinema. Much like most Asian action films, it's a story of revenge and contains many pop culture Ok, kids, listen up. If you have not seen Samurai films or HK movies, then you don't understand what this is about. The picture opens like a Shaw Brothers' production (Shaw Brothers made a ton of Martial Arts films in HK, years ago) and continues like a hybrid of Asian cult cinema. Much like most Asian action films, it's a story of revenge and contains many pop culture characters. The anime segment is very cool, it's almost as if the whole picture could have been animated. Films like these are no longer made, Tarantino believes that we're due. The action, dialogue, camera angles, music, set design and acting make this film very good. Some feel that this movie is too violent, however I think that it is so overdone that it no longer becomes violent, it's entertainment. For a reference, please watch the Japanese movie "Lady Snowblood" to grasp what Tarantino is doing. Expand
  77. Cy
    Oct 18, 2003
    Maybe a little slow, but it turns out to be prehaps the greatest action film i have ever seen. Pure film making. QT is back, and has definantley made a hit.
  78. Daher
    Dec 1, 2003
    Just incredible... music, performances, fights, everything is just amazing. The way Tarantino can bring a simple story so complex is to be admired.
  79. LeonardD.
    Dec 19, 2003
    Its just genius... whoever didnt laugh, didnt get it... whoever was complaining about a "lack of substance" should stop going to movies - this is postmodern perfection.
  80. MitchellO.
    Dec 31, 2003
    It's off-beat, unexpected and simple amazing. There are absolutelly no movies that are like Kill Bill. It is directed in a way that that keeps your eyes and ears completely stimulated. Every fight scene felt like a different movie. Some parts all you could see is shadows behind a blue screen. Other parts of the movie where like a Steven Siegal knife fight. Others still, are more of a It's off-beat, unexpected and simple amazing. There are absolutelly no movies that are like Kill Bill. It is directed in a way that that keeps your eyes and ears completely stimulated. Every fight scene felt like a different movie. Some parts all you could see is shadows behind a blue screen. Other parts of the movie where like a Steven Siegal knife fight. Others still, are more of a showdown with kitana swords. People who can't take gore or don't appreciate a good scene will probebly not like this movie. I have never scene any of QTs movies, which probebly let me appreciate it even more because I had no expectations. Try not to expect anything and you'll be giving it a 10 too. A final note, I never, ever type reviews up for movies. It may not be made for everyone, but Kill Bill is very underrated and was definitlly THE BEST movie I have seen all year. Expand
  81. MikeY.
    Oct 25, 2003
    I have figured out that there are two types of people in this world, those that think QT is a genius and those who think he is completely full of it. For those in the latter, I feel bad for you. Kill Bill was the most incredible experience I have ever had in a movie theater. Everything was first rate. Ending set up vol 2 nicely. I think as a whole, we'll find out that there is more I have figured out that there are two types of people in this world, those that think QT is a genius and those who think he is completely full of it. For those in the latter, I feel bad for you. Kill Bill was the most incredible experience I have ever had in a movie theater. Everything was first rate. Ending set up vol 2 nicely. I think as a whole, we'll find out that there is more to kill bill than shown in vol 1. Expand
  82. DarylF.
    Oct 26, 2003
    One of the best movies of all time!!!! This movie doesn't deserve the put downs its getting for violence. The violence is so unrealistic and cartoon-like that it doesnt even gross you out. (intentionally) And don't always listen to the critics. They're not "special" its just their opinion of the movie. And not everyone is gonna have the same taste as you so just see the One of the best movies of all time!!!! This movie doesn't deserve the put downs its getting for violence. The violence is so unrealistic and cartoon-like that it doesnt even gross you out. (intentionally) And don't always listen to the critics. They're not "special" its just their opinion of the movie. And not everyone is gonna have the same taste as you so just see the movie and judge for yourself. Expand
  83. Legolasvmf
    Oct 26, 2003
    Kill Bill, pure art, i dont want to see matrix now, the fights are more superior and less computer; Kill Bill vol 1 is like putting Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, pulp fiction and Mortal Kombat all together.
  84. BaldEagle
    Jan 25, 2004
    Kill Bill is beautiful, extremely well-done movie, and wildly entertaining if you can stomache the bloodbath. What a work of art. This movie left me wanting more. A lot more. The zero ratings make me laugh, but heed them if you are squeamish. This movie more than delievers on all of Tarantino's trademarks, except for his classic diologue, and blows his previous films away concerning Kill Bill is beautiful, extremely well-done movie, and wildly entertaining if you can stomache the bloodbath. What a work of art. This movie left me wanting more. A lot more. The zero ratings make me laugh, but heed them if you are squeamish. This movie more than delievers on all of Tarantino's trademarks, except for his classic diologue, and blows his previous films away concerning stunning imagery. Expand
  85. KenshinH.
    Jan 29, 2004
    WOW! Any fan of action films will love this. Well almost any fan I believe castrated individuals wont.
  86. Parker
    Feb 28, 2004
    Coolest movie ever made.
  87. J.Scott
    Mar 11, 2004
    I find the review posted by J. Cinnante to be very very offensive to fans of QT, like myself. Just because you're puny brain is too weak to comprehend the genius of Tarantino ( he has an IQ of 160, so i'm not just "being faithful" or talking outta my ass) doesn't mean that you have to rag on those who get him. Tarantino is the essence of a great filmmaker...not only does he I find the review posted by J. Cinnante to be very very offensive to fans of QT, like myself. Just because you're puny brain is too weak to comprehend the genius of Tarantino ( he has an IQ of 160, so i'm not just "being faithful" or talking outta my ass) doesn't mean that you have to rag on those who get him. Tarantino is the essence of a great filmmaker...not only does he know how to construct an interesting story, but he has the balls to go against the "standards" of cinema. He's an R-rated, American Jean-Luc Godard. I GET THAT...don't post your gibberish if it's all insults to somebody's fans..that's just totally rude. The fact that you think the film is "just blood and guts all over the place" shows that you really don't see the movie for what it is. It's a totally blank statement. Other than the anime sequence...there's not even half a pint of blood for the first half of the f.ckin film. Expand
  88. SlipS.
    May 16, 2004
    Great intriguing fun movie. A bit more violent than I usually like but it is all a cartoonish sort of violence, except for the actual cartoon portion.
  89. BillKill
    May 19, 2004
    Pure cinematic marvel, i hired it out once and much like tarantino's other movies found myself enjoying it more after repeated veiwings, and so what if the story's thin in vol 1 who needs substance when you've got this much style.
  90. LeviF.
    Aug 19, 2004
    This is an excellant movie. tarantino at his best & uma thurman is sensational.
  91. JonathanK.
    Jul 14, 2005
    Its obvious most of the people who dont like this movie have a problem with the excessive blood and gore. Well for one you would have to be a moron not to know what you were watching before u went to see the movie. Anybody who saw the previews and truely knows QT work would have known it was going to be excessively violent and it was going to have some disturbing scenes (Resvoir dogs Its obvious most of the people who dont like this movie have a problem with the excessive blood and gore. Well for one you would have to be a moron not to know what you were watching before u went to see the movie. Anybody who saw the previews and truely knows QT work would have known it was going to be excessively violent and it was going to have some disturbing scenes (Resvoir dogs hello?) We saw 2 children watch there parents get murdered, news flash things like that happen everyday thats one of the reasons Kill Bill is a masterpiece and what makes QT so great, he manages to incorperate reality in with exaggerated and sometimes dreamlike non realistic scenes. Kill Bill is like a dream/nightmare with the excessive gore and unrealistic fighting mixed with scenes that are more or less realistic such as the fight with Green in Cali or the inclusion of the Yakuza clan in the story, his technique of not telling the story in chronological order is second to none. Its simply a masterpiece an ode to kung fu, Bruce Lee and anyone that gives it an 0 is a fool a prude or both. Expand
  92. Emmy
    Jul 21, 2005
    I actually couldn't stand Uma Thurman prior to this movie but my respect for her as an actress after seeing her work with Mr. Tarantino on this film has made me a fan of hers. As for the movie itself, I love it. I think the character of Budd best described the entire dilemma of the movie with the line, "that woman deserves her revenge, and we deserve to die...then again, so does I actually couldn't stand Uma Thurman prior to this movie but my respect for her as an actress after seeing her work with Mr. Tarantino on this film has made me a fan of hers. As for the movie itself, I love it. I think the character of Budd best described the entire dilemma of the movie with the line, "that woman deserves her revenge, and we deserve to die...then again, so does she". It's this great bad guy turned protagonist storyline and you find yourself rooting for this character who is actually not a very good person herself. Her redeeming quality is her desire for honest and respectable motherhood, but she is an assassin, or as Bill later puts it, a natural born killer, who enjoys killing people. As for those who said the said there is no humor, you can't tell me that thirteen hours in a truck (with the name "Buck" gave it) spent wiggling her toes to make her legs work didn't induce the smallest of smiles. C'mon now. And as for the "no plot" skeptics, are you kidding? The plotline is classic. Revenge, the most used action plot, and used as it may be, this was an entirely different spin on it. The culmination of kung fu fantasy fighting mixed with good old fashioned western justice makes this action flick a ten for me, and I normally hate gory movies. Expand
  93. VenkatR.
    Dec 25, 2006
    Amazing movie!! Best action movie ever. Quentin tarantino gives a blockbuster.
  94. JayF.
    Feb 19, 2006
    A truly beautiful and violent piece of filmwork from Quentin Tarantino.
  95. JaronR
    Sep 21, 2007
    My favourite movies of all time. Between the over-the-top violence, the brilliant score, and unique (yet firmly stereotypical) characters, you can't lose.
  96. PaulF.
    Nov 26, 2003
    A rating below 7 from people makes me wonder what people want in a movie, or if they even like movies. This one is gold.
  97. MattH.
    Dec 14, 2003
    Awe-inspiring movie magic from a team who understand culture, music, putting stylish violence on screen, in the slightly fantastical Tarantino universe.
  98. Fabio
    Nov 16, 2004
    W o n d e r f u l.
  99. Aug 27, 2010
    This movie rocks!! Tarantino brilliantly directs this tale of revenge, honor, blood, action, drama, and kung fu!! Its not for everyone, but I highly recommend it to fans of Tarantino and kung fu!!
  100. Aug 16, 2010
    One of those films that you either love or hate. I personally love it and all its stylistic changes, switching back and forth from a spaghetti western to a samurai revenge film in the matter of minutes. The violence is terrific and most of the time completely hilarious, and the storytelling is brilliant throughout.

1. Reviewed by: Jim Agnew
    A hyper-violent, hyper-gory, kung-fu grindhouse flick. And there’s nothing at all wrong with that.
  2. Is Kill Bill a homage to great Asian action movies? Yes. Is Tarantino trying to outdo his cherished masters (on a budget that dwarfs their films)? Of course. Is there any other point of any of this? Let's see "Vol. 2."
    An incomplete movie, artlessly cleft in the middle. Cinema interruptus.