IFC Films | Release Date: February 3, 2012
6.6
Generally favorable reviews based on 45 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
TryASummersaultAug 6, 2015
British gibberish with some killing scenes mixed in and a brutal ridiculous twist. I had read somewhere that this one of the best horror films of that last decade, and it is in no way.
Fb29Feb 21, 2015
You know how No Country For Old Men very powerfully expresses the senselessness of violence? So that even if it's not entirely clear why everything happened somehow the point lands and you don't question the ending.

This movie is not like

This movie is not like that. This movie has senseless violence with a bit more nonsense thrown on top. It's not very scary. The script is fine. The acting is quite good in my opinion. But it doesn't land.

It's 2015, and I find it hard to believe that you have seen all 100 movies and dozen tv shows that you should catch up from 2012 to today instead of this film. But if you have pretty much watched everything, this is worth watching.
TheDiscernerDec 21, 2012
A surprisingly silly film. It had good performances but the direction coasted on its downbeat naturalism. Also, the editing was too scattershot for me to properly engage and the ambient, 'unsettling' soundscape seemed a little one note.A surprisingly silly film. It had good performances but the direction coasted on its downbeat naturalism. Also, the editing was too scattershot for me to properly engage and the ambient, 'unsettling' soundscape seemed a little one note. Ultimately, the script needed more development, which the direction could never overcome. I have heard the director justify the extreme violence, but unless the film expresses a real purpose or poetic vision, it remains a nasty gimmick. Expand
KissellianMar 18, 2012
I had only heard good things about the Kill List, so going into it I was expecting something fairly amazing. The basic premise is that an out-of-work, ex-soldier hitman who screwed up his last job gets a final chance to prove himself. TheI had only heard good things about the Kill List, so going into it I was expecting something fairly amazing. The basic premise is that an out-of-work, ex-soldier hitman who screwed up his last job gets a final chance to prove himself. The basic difference between this and many other films with similar premises is that he has a wife, a son, and a best friend, also a hitman, who is there to make sure he doesn't screw it up. First, while I don't usually have much problem understanding British movies, I couldn't understand much of the dialogue in the opening scenes and had to rely on what I'd read about the plot to replace what I can only imagine was backstory. When the action started, I began to enjoy watching the main character begin to lose his composure as the mysteries of this job unfolded. I was along for the ride until the very end. I had expected some closure, some explanation of the weirdness the climax had built up to, but instead there was merely a shock and then it was over. I still have no idea why most of the events occurred or what the motivations were of those standing in the background pulling strings. I am still scratching my head at all of the positive reviews out there, many of which echo my confusion. For some reason, they're simply not that concerned about it, but for me it ruined what might have otherwise been a unique and enjoyable thriller. Expand
HalfwelshmanFeb 24, 2012
Kill List works extremely well as a taut, quite terrifying horror film about an out-of control British hitman. Neil Maskell is mesmerising as Jay, a frustrated ex-soldier who returns to his past career of contract killing to support hisKill List works extremely well as a taut, quite terrifying horror film about an out-of control British hitman. Neil Maskell is mesmerising as Jay, a frustrated ex-soldier who returns to his past career of contract killing to support his family, but as his emotions begin to intrude, the stress and paranoia linked to his morally dubious job steadily fracture his sanity. Michael Smiley also impresses as Gal, Jay's level-headed long-time hit partner and friend, as does MyAnna Buring as Jay's loving but frustrated wife Shel. The first half of the film is excellent, with tight plotting, steadily building tension and a semi-improvised script. The second half unfortunately becomes a little incoherent and difficult to follow (possibly a deliberate decision by director Ben Wheatley to reflect Jay's unstable state of mind) and the finale, where the film goes all Wickerman is just plain stupid. Kill List works as a film when it keep things real and close to home. When we're following Jay, his family, and the impact his job has on himself and his family, the film is great - dramatically effective, terrifying, and socially relevant all at once. When the film becomes weirder, more fantastical and surreal, it unfortunately becomes silly and pointless. Luckily, this element of the film is very small, only emerging towards the end, so doesn't have the chance to do much lasting damage. If it weren't for its annoying final act, Kill List could have been a British horror classic. A film that begins so well, that offers so much promise as a relevant, scary horror, deserves a much better payoff, and unfortunately this means the film as a whole is good, but not anything exceptional. Collapse