7.8

1. Sep 12, 2014
    Compared to the movie version of the film, the extended cut (on dvd) is much better and a fuller movie. It gives time for explanations and depth. If you liked it on big screen, you're gonna love the extended cut.

On its own, though, the theatrical version is already an almost perfect movie. Depth, dedication, faith - and the loss. Battle, cruelty, love, loyalty. What are we fighting for
    in this world? And is it really worth the fight - and the sacrifices?

The journey of Balian turning from a blacksmith into a knight is portrayed as if it took only a while, which feels rushed in comparison to the rest of the movie. When this matter is settled, the rest is one enjoyable ride; a beautiful, bloody ride.
  2. Jun 7, 2014
    It was a very good movie and the director tried at least to show a good picture of the two sides of the battle. But, it would be better to choose other actors for the Muslim side to be more impressive. The actor of Saladin was not very good for this role.
  3. Mar 11, 2013
    In my opinion, Kingdom of Heaven is one of the most underrated movies I have come across. It is one of my favorite movies of all time and receives very little attention compared to its bigger brother, Gladiator. The extra scenes in the Director's Cut explain the story considerably better. Although more loosely based than we'd care to admit, the time period of the Crusades is an awesome atmosphere that I am surprised is not utilized as much in film. I found Orlando Bloom actually a decent actor in this one and the film has one of the best soundtracks in a movie. Expand
  4. Mar 10, 2013
    The director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven is an absolutely phenomenal film. Visually, Ridley Scott pushes the boat out past even his high standards. Kingdom of Heaven is one of the most beautiful looking historical epics ever made. It's also emotionally engaging, superbly acted and informative. Just make sure you're watching the director's cut and not the muddled theatrical version.
  5. Nov 4, 2012
    I don't know what it is with Ridley Scott films, but his director's cuts are vastly superior than theatrical versions. The director's cut is the only version of this film I acknowledge and it is one of the greatest movies of all time.
  6. Aug 15, 2012
    The crusades are a fascinating historical event. This movie will give you a little peek of the history, the madness and som of the history that lies behind the conflict today. I've red a book about Saladin and why he let the christian leave Jerusalem. It was not because of Orlando Bloom, but because he thought it might create peace. He was mistaken, the knights reorganized and fought back. If you like this movie, check out the Swedish movie Arn Collapse
  7. Dec 9, 2011
    "What man is a man if does not make the world better"

those signed words on the smithy touch my soul every time i watch this epic film.
    i regret i didnt go to watch it to the cinema, though in home still is a very good movie to watch.
    the phography is beautiful, the cast is amazing, the dialogs are deep and well done. the action is intense in a very good way, you dont see favoritism
    for the muslims or the catholics.
    balanced.
    epic.
    After watching it i have learn what it takes to be a real knight.
  8. Nov 12, 2011
    Epic, again a Ridley Scott masterpiece with lots of depth and a message of knighthood, something clearly lost and not in the flavor nowadays. I strongly advise watching this movie and again critics must have been sleeping....they are wrong.
  9. Oct 28, 2010
    I originally saw the Kingdom of Heaven theatrical release first, and my opinion of it was mixed, much like how I feel about Ridley Scott's Robin Hood. The film seemed poorly edited and was missing something. Then came the Directors Cut and it all made sense. Americans were robbed of an excellent story once again due to low expectations on what the general public would like. Whether or not his is true is another story all together. What I feel is true is that the directors cut elevates the movie to something more than another action story. It adds so much more to the dynamics of the characters, fleshing them out in much greater depth and detail, and providing more of a connection from one character to the next. The stories protagonist, Balian (played by Orlando Bloom) is a mixture of several different personalities from the period, but his view of the world at the time could be considered very tolerant/progressive. Bloom carries his role well, playing him as a reluctant "hero" who is more practical, preferring to rely on his mind as well as his fighting prowess. He tends to fall in line more on how the ideal knight, sans the arrogance, would act if he actually defended his oaths. He gets a lot of flack for this role for some reason, but I feel he fit very well. The rest of the cast is very well thought out, with Eva Green skillfully playing the role of Sibylla as a strong, intelligent woman who understands all too well what must be done to maintain power. Her character is probably one of the most tragic ones in the story, although the list of those is pretty long. Jeremy Irons portrays the grizzled and cynical veteran Tiberias, who does some chewing of the scenery, but not in the bad way as far as I'm concerned. His character is probably one of my favorites, as his expressions and manner of his delivery is perfect for his role. There are very few characters that I did not appreciate in this one, but needless to say it would take up a lot more text. Liam Neeson, Edward Norton, Marton Csokas all do excellent jobs in their roles as Balians father, King Baldwin IV, and the comic book villain that is Guy de Lusignan. The three that stood out the most for me were Ghassan Massoud as a very honorable and respectful Salah'ad-din, Brendan Gleeson as the vicious but entertaining Raynald de Chatillon, and finally David Thewlis as the Zen-like Hospitaller. Ridley Scott is one of my favorite directors of all time, and this movie definitely displays why. This movie is awash in his trademark visual aesthetics (gorgeous color palettes, the ever present snow flakes fluttering about, etc), excellent writing, and some of the best music I have ever heard in a movie. Any movie. All in all he weaves together a very complex, but not entirely historically accurate, story between the second and third Crusades. As much as the trailers would have you believe it, this is no action movie. The pacing is good but sometimes on the slower side, and if you live for constant scenes of blood and violence, then you will be disappointed. Kingdom of Heaven is a glimpse back in time through the eyes of Scott and Monahan and they did an amazing job. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Genuinely spectacular and historically quite respectable, Ridley Scott's latest epic is at its strongest in conveying the savagery spawned by fanaticism.
  2. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    A frustratingly thin epic. You're left wanting more exposition, more character development, the tidying up of loose ends.
    One imagined that a movie about the Crusades would be gallant and mad; one feared that it might stoke some antiquated prejudice. But who could have dreamed that it would produce this rambling, hollow show about a boy?