8.3

1. DamienA.
    Nov 12, 2005
    Great movie if you think two guys kissing is hilarious... or two guys seeing an 'ugly and fat' mental patient naked puts you in stitches... or if a gay investigator's cell ringtone being a gay anthem (I Will Survive?) is your idea of HA HA.... What I hate about this film is that it presents itself as so 'knowing' and 'ironic' that it thinks it can do Great movie if you think two guys kissing is hilarious... or two guys seeing an 'ugly and fat' mental patient naked puts you in stitches... or if a gay investigator's cell ringtone being a gay anthem (I Will Survive?) is your idea of HA HA.... What I hate about this film is that it presents itself as so 'knowing' and 'ironic' that it thinks it can do anything it wants without copping any flack... GOD! I felt ill a lot of the time with the stupid jokes... and finding out that it's directed by the guy who wrote the lethal weapon franchise makes a lot of sense... Yes, perhaps I'm a film snob but I really think this is a film by a macho, sexist, elitist, juvenile mind. Yes there are good things in the film.. the acting, the energy, some of the jokes... but I really feel that this film really is just an updated Lethal Weapon made to please a cynical modern audience. I don't see many Hollywood films... but I thought this might be in the quality of Pulp Fiction, Usual Suspects, Mullholland Dr... How wrong I was. More Naked Gun than anything else I can think of. Expand
  2. PaulW
    Nov 27, 2005
    Just awful..plain boring. You just don't care what happens to the characters in the film and whats the story with the script ??!! Kilmer looks like hes put three stones on and is just going through the motions in this film..east money for him as hes doesnt even have to try and act in this turkey.. Avoid at all costs...I actually want to leave the cinema it was that bad...go and watch "Crash"
  3. FredG.
    Jul 9, 2006
    I didn't get it. It tries to do too much, and in the end, really does nothing. IMO - there's a lot of wasted talent in this one, and I'm not surprised that it didn't do better in the box office. Save your money, and more importantly, save your time. One reviewer recommended Crash, which is a much better film, but not a comedy. If you're looking for a better I didn't get it. It tries to do too much, and in the end, really does nothing. IMO - there's a lot of wasted talent in this one, and I'm not surprised that it didn't do better in the box office. Save your money, and more importantly, save your time. One reviewer recommended Crash, which is a much better film, but not a comedy. If you're looking for a better comedy, rent Barbershop or Road Trip. Expand
  4. shsch
    Dec 20, 2005
    This film tried much too hard to be cute and it didn't work for me. I thought the hero/narrator played by Robert Downey Jr was especially irritating and the plot overly confusing and stupid. If you're looking to waste a couple of hours at a comedy, go see the Ice Harvest. Not a much better movie, but at least I found John Cusack somewhat sympathetic, not obnoxious, as the hero here.
  5. MattS
    Dec 9, 2005
    Just not very interesting. The narration was annoying and the ending was silly.
  6. leef
    Mar 5, 2008
    Had a good premise, but i turned it off after 30 min...like ebert said...it was spinning its wheels, but for me the dialogue wasn't funny.
  7. EricD.
    Oct 15, 2006
    I wanted to like this movie, but it didn't happen for me. I like Val Kilmer and Robert Downey Jr. but thought this was just plain bad.

Shane Black creates a movie that is defiantly smartass and too cool for the room. I couldn't have liked it more.
  2. Black's retro-noir reminds us why we love movies: because they can surprise us, even when we're ankle deep in bullet casings, bodies and enough twists to tie us in knots.
  3. Downey and Monaghan are wonderful at playing characters that compensate for the harshness of their past with flippant swaggers.