8.6

1. Feb 2, 2012
    Who said sarcasm is the lowest form of wit? Kiss Kiss Bang Bang would beg to differ as it thrives off of laughing at other peoples mistakes. It seems cruel but the film does it in a way that makes it acceptable by only employing it between the two leads Harry (Robert Downey Jr) and Perry (Val Kilmer). The film is a dark twisted buddy cop film, which is what you would expect from LethalWho said sarcasm is the lowest form of wit? Kiss Kiss Bang Bang would beg to differ as it thrives off of laughing at other peoples mistakes. It seems cruel but the film does it in a way that makes it acceptable by only employing it between the two leads Harry (Robert Downey Jr) and Perry (Val Kilmer). The film is a dark twisted buddy cop film, which is what you would expect from Lethal Weapon writer Shane Black in his directorial debut. However the difference between Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Lethal Weapon is the fact that Harry and Perry hate each other, they really do. Thatâ Expand
  2. Aug 29, 2014
    Thanks to its charming cast and supreme action, this energetic, gloomy film is not only thoroughly entertaining but it's also funny. Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer are the men.
  3. DamienA.
    Nov 12, 2005
    Great movie if you think two guys kissing is hilarious... or two guys seeing an 'ugly and fat' mental patient naked puts you in stitches... or if a gay investigator's cell ringtone being a gay anthem (I Will Survive?) is your idea of HA HA.... What I hate about this film is that it presents itself as so 'knowing' and 'ironic' that it thinks it can do Great movie if you think two guys kissing is hilarious... or two guys seeing an 'ugly and fat' mental patient naked puts you in stitches... or if a gay investigator's cell ringtone being a gay anthem (I Will Survive?) is your idea of HA HA.... What I hate about this film is that it presents itself as so 'knowing' and 'ironic' that it thinks it can do anything it wants without copping any flack... GOD! I felt ill a lot of the time with the stupid jokes... and finding out that it's directed by the guy who wrote the lethal weapon franchise makes a lot of sense... Yes, perhaps I'm a film snob but I really think this is a film by a macho, sexist, elitist, juvenile mind. Yes there are good things in the film.. the acting, the energy, some of the jokes... but I really feel that this film really is just an updated Lethal Weapon made to please a cynical modern audience. I don't see many Hollywood films... but I thought this might be in the quality of Pulp Fiction, Usual Suspects, Mullholland Dr... How wrong I was. More Naked Gun than anything else I can think of. Expand
  4. Nov 17, 2012
    This odd-ball noir spoof is absolute sardonic heaven.
  5. JohnG.
    Aug 1, 2006
    Just Hee-Haw funny and very clever.
  6. et
    Aug 24, 2007
    This movie is laugh out loud funny! With brilliant performances by all. A must watch for anyone who likes smart, irreverent films.
  7. PaulW
    Nov 27, 2005
    Just awful..plain boring. You just don't care what happens to the characters in the film and whats the story with the script ??!! Kilmer looks like hes put three stones on and is just going through the motions in this film..east money for him as hes doesnt even have to try and act in this turkey.. Avoid at all costs...I actually want to leave the cinema it was that bad...go and watch "Crash"
  8. JayC.
    Dec 2, 2005
    Laugh out-loud funny. Good thriller story with many twists as well.
  9. DarylS.
    Jan 4, 2006
    Involving, engaging, accessible, and some very funny moments. It had the feel of a movie that made visiting the cinema an event. The narration was a masterstroke, and while the articulate hoi-polloi would say "it sucks" I disagree with them.
  10. PeterS.
    Jan 5, 2006
    Jody T has it right: "... one of the funniest films I have seen for a long long time." Witty, irreverent, violent, literate, clever. One of Kilmer's best performances, and Downey continues to shine. I hope he's saying off drugs. I don't want to lose that talent.
  11. JessieP
    Jan 6, 2006
    Witty hard-boiled dialogue, mystery, suspense and violent twists and turns. This film both parodies and pays homage to Chandler's novels, and actively involves the audience. "Sex. Murder. Mystery. Welcome to the party."
  12. NickS.
    Feb 15, 2006
    This is the best movie I have seen in 2005. I probably wouldn't have said that had the competition been better but to be honest most oscar nominations I believe were better than average movies (Brokeback Mountain,Memoirs of a Geisha etc...). I do accept some of the bad critisism themovie got: You can see it kind of in love with its own cleverness and the plot is unbelievably This is the best movie I have seen in 2005. I probably wouldn't have said that had the competition been better but to be honest most oscar nominations I believe were better than average movies (Brokeback Mountain,Memoirs of a Geisha etc...). I do accept some of the bad critisism themovie got: You can see it kind of in love with its own cleverness and the plot is unbelievably confusing. But hey, it was clever and the plot makes sense however unbelievable it is. Pure entertainment and good laughs. Has plenty of replay value. Expand
  13. KA
    Jul 11, 2006
    Worth renting if you like quirky self-aware comedies. The performances are fun and the dialogue is snappy and ironic. Obviously some folks aren't going to like this type of comedy: its the kind of movie that asks the viewer to watch and listen carefully to get all of the jokes. I cant believe someone recommended the utterly banal Barbershop over this fun and edgy comedy.
  14. RobertR.
    Jul 18, 2006
    This is the only movie in three years that I have gone out of my way to recommend to people. It's everything a movie should be, smart, funny, totally watchable and because it turns the conventions of hard-boiled noir on it's ear--it's totally RE-watchable. Black is a master of dialogue, character, pacing and tone. If you have a friend who doesn't like this film, you This is the only movie in three years that I have gone out of my way to recommend to people. It's everything a movie should be, smart, funny, totally watchable and because it turns the conventions of hard-boiled noir on it's ear--it's totally RE-watchable. Black is a master of dialogue, character, pacing and tone. If you have a friend who doesn't like this film, you should consider ending the friendship. Expand
  15. SamD.
    Jul 30, 2006
    Just short of brilliant.
  16. FredG.
    Jul 9, 2006
    I didn't get it. It tries to do too much, and in the end, really does nothing. IMO - there's a lot of wasted talent in this one, and I'm not surprised that it didn't do better in the box office. Save your money, and more importantly, save your time. One reviewer recommended Crash, which is a much better film, but not a comedy. If you're looking for a better I didn't get it. It tries to do too much, and in the end, really does nothing. IMO - there's a lot of wasted talent in this one, and I'm not surprised that it didn't do better in the box office. Save your money, and more importantly, save your time. One reviewer recommended Crash, which is a much better film, but not a comedy. If you're looking for a better comedy, rent Barbershop or Road Trip. Expand
  17. ReeceS.
    Jan 31, 2007
    Excellent laugh out loud movie.
  18. GaryD.
    Nov 11, 2005
    This movie is GREAT! Perfect casting, great acting, brilliant directing, and non-stop laughs. Who cares if the plot is so twisted that you have trouble following it. That isn't the point. This is, pure and simple, great fun and great entertainment. Don't think about it -- enjoy it!
  19. MaxM.
    Nov 13, 2005
    Best film of the year so far! It felt so good to laugh so hard... and thank goodness it wasn't just me. THAT would have been embarrassing. Val Kilmer and Robert Downey Jr should commission a sequel pronto.
  20. RobertM.
    Nov 18, 2005
    Definately recommended. Performances were great by Kilmer and Downey Jr. But the script was for the most part together, and the quick wit was very funny throughout the whole pic.
  21. JohnJay
    Nov 23, 2005
    Smart, Complex, excellent acting, very funny...hot, hot film!
  22. KelvinL
    Nov 24, 2005
    Very funny, slickly shot and intelligent! Downey and Kilmer have great screen chemistry, and Michelle Monaghan who plays Harmony is gorgeous! The movie has good pace and good action scenes as well as piercing black comedy. A very pleasant suprise! So much better as it turned out than the original movie that we wanted went to see, The Constant Gardener (It was sold out)
  23. LuketheDuke
    Nov 4, 2005
    Great job done by all. Downey is back with a vengeance. Michelle Monaghan is in perfect Harmony. And even Val Kilmer exceeds expectations. Perfect casting, great script, lots of fun. The story develops a fairly good mystery, delivering loads of hilarious, well-timed and perfectly delivered lines, with dry wit and plenty of laughs. Not a great film, but a very good one, and highly Great job done by all. Downey is back with a vengeance. Michelle Monaghan is in perfect Harmony. And even Val Kilmer exceeds expectations. Perfect casting, great script, lots of fun. The story develops a fairly good mystery, delivering loads of hilarious, well-timed and perfectly delivered lines, with dry wit and plenty of laughs. Not a great film, but a very good one, and highly enjoyable as long as the frequent use of the "f" word does not dismay the viewer. I thought the film was pretty f***ing good, and very f***ing funny! Expand
  24. shsch
    Dec 20, 2005
    This film tried much too hard to be cute and it didn't work for me. I thought the hero/narrator played by Robert Downey Jr was especially irritating and the plot overly confusing and stupid. If you're looking to waste a couple of hours at a comedy, go see the Ice Harvest. Not a much better movie, but at least I found John Cusack somewhat sympathetic, not obnoxious, as the hero here.
  25. SusanM.
    Dec 6, 2005
    I wasn't sure about this movie in the first 5 minutes, but it quickly proved to be time well spent! The acting was great, and the story line (although a bit complicated) was imaginative and cool. I was happy to go and see something different, it's nice to know there is still some originality left in Hollywood!!
  26. EdR.
    Oct 28, 2005
    This movie is so bloody funny,and so much fun that I'm stunned that the New York Times and the LA Times didn't get it. It didn't "wear me out", unless you think being a bit tired from laughing for two and a half hours is a bad experience. It's cool, hilarious, brilliant, and the funniest movie I've seen in about five years. The script,actors and direction are all This movie is so bloody funny,and so much fun that I'm stunned that the New York Times and the LA Times didn't get it. It didn't "wear me out", unless you think being a bit tired from laughing for two and a half hours is a bad experience. It's cool, hilarious, brilliant, and the funniest movie I've seen in about five years. The script,actors and direction are all dynamite.At the screening I went to the entire audience was roaring with laughter. If you're at all literate go see it. Expand
  27. thegooch
    Oct 29, 2005
    Hilarious, no...EFFIN HILARIOUS...I haven't laughed like that in a movie in years. Smart, funny and pitch-perfect dialogue. Val Kilmer is great.
  28. MattS
    Dec 9, 2005
    Just not very interesting. The narration was annoying and the ending was silly.
  29. TonyB.
    Jan 18, 2006
    loved this movie, thought it was very funny and great acting can not wait for this one to come to dvd deffinatly worth a purchase.
  30. MeaghanC.
    Jun 17, 2006
    It was too clever for it's own good. Robert Downey Jr. rocks, though, and Val Kilmer is not loathsome.
  31. TomY.
    Jul 5, 2006
    I love this movie. It's very witty, and if people argue that it is in love with itself, it's only because they don't get the joke.
  32. DanC.
    Sep 17, 2006
    This is just
  33. leef
    Mar 5, 2008
    Had a good premise, but i turned it off after 30 min...like ebert said...it was spinning its wheels, but for me the dialogue wasn't funny.
  34. ScottH
    Jun 26, 2009
    Great modern day noir!
  35. charlyp
    Nov 22, 2005
    Madre mia, increíble que esta palícula no esté rompiendo taquilla de una manera destacada. Mierdas como Doom estrenándose en 3000 cines y esta maravilla pasando de puntillas por el cine. Un guión excelente, una dirección hábil y sobretodo dos protagonistas bien calzados en sus papeles, mostrando una complicidad absoluta y una comicidad Madre mia, increíble que esta palícula no esté rompiendo taquilla de una manera destacada. Mierdas como Doom estrenándose en 3000 cines y esta maravilla pasando de puntillas por el cine. Un guión excelente, una dirección hábil y sobretodo dos protagonistas bien calzados en sus papeles, mostrando una complicidad absoluta y una comicidad total.....joder, pero si hasta me tuve que quitar las gafas para secarme los ojos de tanto reir......grande shane....absolutamente grande....ahora sólo hace falta que el resto del planeta se entere. Expand
  36. Jessica
    Nov 7, 2005
    Great movie!! hysterical!!! one of the most clever and quick witted movies i've seen.
  37. JodyT.
    Dec 12, 2005
    This really is the one of the funniest films I have seen for a long long time. I was crying with laughter. Great, go watch it I urge you!
  38. BillD.
    Dec 2, 2005
    Maybe someone can help me. This is easily the most entertaining movie I've seen this year. The two male stars are great here, as always; and the female lead, Michelle Monaghan, is fresh,funny and sexy. The movie has action, a fast pace and some very big laughs. Here's where I need the help: Why was this movie showing on only 226 screens in each of the last two weeks? Hollywood Maybe someone can help me. This is easily the most entertaining movie I've seen this year. The two male stars are great here, as always; and the female lead, Michelle Monaghan, is fresh,funny and sexy. The movie has action, a fast pace and some very big laughs. Here's where I need the help: Why was this movie showing on only 226 screens in each of the last two weeks? Hollywood buries this movie, shows "Derailed" on ten times as many screens, and wonders why ticket sales are down. Expand
  39. MarkS
    Oct 23, 2005
    Funny, smart murder mystery with great performances all around, especially Val Kilmer.
  40. EricD.
    Oct 15, 2006
    I wanted to like this movie, but it didn't happen for me. I like Val Kilmer and Robert Downey Jr. but thought this was just plain bad.
  41. AliciaS.
    Oct 16, 2006
    This movie was non stop humor. By far Robert Downy Jr.'s best performances yet! Great movie, I would recommend it to anyone! Watch it. You will LOVE IT! I know I did!
  42. C.Lawrence
    Jun 21, 2006
    I went in skeptical and left delighted, a perfectly enjoyable picture.
  43. JH
    Jul 23, 2006
    I really enjoyed this movie. It was very funny, very witty, and features two great performances from two great actors, Kilmer and Downey. Rent this!
  44. Jw.
    Sep 15, 2007
    Does own some of the funniest scenes in talking pictures. But it also steals a scene (blatantly) from Garden State. See if you can find it. For the most part it settles for being emotionally hollow. Vacuous, even. You won't notice this until the dialogue slows down and your eyes refocus. So why 8? A delirious, nonsensical performance by Robert Downey, Jr. that should be seen just Does own some of the funniest scenes in talking pictures. But it also steals a scene (blatantly) from Garden State. See if you can find it. For the most part it settles for being emotionally hollow. Vacuous, even. You won't notice this until the dialogue slows down and your eyes refocus. So why 8? A delirious, nonsensical performance by Robert Downey, Jr. that should be seen just because. Shane Black owes him big. Expand
  45. chaninderb.
    Nov 22, 2005
    Amazingly clever and funny.
  46. Aaron
    Nov 23, 2005
    Best movie of the year. Original story & clever. Val Kilmer and Robert Downey Jr rock. Can't believe it only got limited release in theatres. Monaghan is hot.
  47. S.Gold
    Dec 21, 2005
    Although entertaining, Mr. Kilmar almost single handedly saves the film from its otherwise pitfalls. Robert Downey Jr. is funny, but that narration sucks.
  48. RhettW.
    Dec 28, 2005
    Actors had more fun than I did. I will not forget Michelle Monaghan. That is what you call a break-out performance.
  49. Jul 26, 2013
    Lots of profanity, lots of deaths and some great comic one-liners; I have to admit I liked this one to a large extent. It’s well shot and very slick, keeping a decent pace although it does drop here and there. All the performances were very good; Downey Jr, Kilmer and Monaghan all did a great job. I did find, however, that Downey Jr’s character, Lockhart, did begin to get a tad annoyingLots of profanity, lots of deaths and some great comic one-liners; I have to admit I liked this one to a large extent. It’s well shot and very slick, keeping a decent pace although it does drop here and there. All the performances were very good; Downey Jr, Kilmer and Monaghan all did a great job. I did find, however, that Downey Jr’s character, Lockhart, did begin to get a tad annoying towards the end. Over all though a pretty enjoyable watch; quite original in its makeup and well worth a look.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.2/10.
  50. Jan 23, 2013
    A hilarious and dark comedy that you should consider watching. It's one of Robert Downey Jr.'s and Val Kilmer's best. Very well thought out, not perfect, but well done.
  51. Apr 13, 2011
    This reminds me of nothing more than The Singing Detective (the original, although RDJ did coincidentally star in the hamfisted Hollywood remake). A funny, sharp, knowing film which repays repeated viewing.
  52. Aug 10, 2011
    Fun,breezy and downright hilarious.Robert Downey Jr,Val Kilmer and Michelle Monaghan all do great work.Easily one of the slickest and most stylish movies in a while.Consistently entertaining,funny and inventive.
  53. Sep 1, 2011
    While he's no stranger to acting and screenwriting, Shane Black has also made a very impressive directorial debut with Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. It's classic Black - full of snappy dialogue, with an energetic plot and plenty of dark comedy. It also features Robert Downey, Jr. and Val Kilmer in roles that will long be considered highlights of their career. Downey does what he does best - he'sWhile he's no stranger to acting and screenwriting, Shane Black has also made a very impressive directorial debut with Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. It's classic Black - full of snappy dialogue, with an energetic plot and plenty of dark comedy. It also features Robert Downey, Jr. and Val Kilmer in roles that will long be considered highlights of their career. Downey does what he does best - he's confident, charming and verbally agile, and Kilmer demonstrates a rarely demonstrated gift for comic timing. The story is engaging to begin with, and the film is pleasingly self-aware, but it does run out of steam a little towards the end. Black is perhaps guilty of throwing one too many plot twists into the mix too quickly, and it's therefore all too easy to lose your way if the smallest snippet of information is missed. It can come across a little convoluted at times, but Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is an enjoyable ride all the same. Expand
  54. Jun 12, 2011
    This movie came right out of left field and made me laugh my ass off. Val Kilmer and Robert Downey Jr. are fantastic together and the plot is perfectly done. Story wise it's nothing you haven't seen before but it's done in a way that will actually keep you one your toes. If you get the chance sit down and watch this movie.
  55. Mar 15, 2013
    Shane Black's writers block was perhaps the best thing that ever happened to him, because if all that built up creativity led to this sort of film more often, then we all need a case of these mental blockages, as this film, written and directed himself, is possibly the best work of his career.
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is told as a mash up of different film genres, noir, comedy and all around criminal behaviour, and Robert Downey Jr makes one of the best returns to form as small time thief Harry Lockhart, who stumbles accidentally into an audition, which he is praised for after the events which had just occurred.
    He is introduced to Perry "Gay Perry" van Shrike, who is played convincingly and humorously by Val Kilmer, and Perry and Harry soon set off on massive adventure of murder and mystery, all with the beautiful wit of the well written script in toe.
    Downey Jr narrates an outsider point of view of the film, explaining to audiences about certain aspects of the film, even rewinding at parts he thinks he has left out, all circling towards a very unique and stylised form of story-telling.
    The humour is sharp-tongued and often crude, and it is clear form the beginning that Shane Black has a particular audience in mind, not necessarily those of the crime capers, but those who are accustomed to an unorthodox style of cinema, and those who are willing to keep up with the ever expanding story.
    Robert Downey Jr is excellent as Harry Lockhart, simply pacing through the movie as a good but bad guy having a bad day, while Val Kilmer is the opposite, a real life PI who is asked to help Lockhart prepare for his film role when things start to become too realistic, his acting capabilities are soon showing as his character becomes less and less cool.
    Michelle Monaghan, Corbin Bernsen and Rockmund Dunbar also make up a very expansive and interesting cast, all of whom play a pivotal part in the telling of the story and are beneficial as to how all the stories become intertwined.
    The film is full of dark humour and witty gags from start to finish, but with the acting of Downey Jr and Kilmer at the helm, the film is grounded to create an enjoyable and excellent piece of filmmaking that leave you laughing and shocked for a considerable amount of time.
  56. Aug 28, 2014
    A bit confusing at places (something a second watch cured).

Witty characters, plot, and just too much bad luck for you to keep your face straight while watching. Of course, no bad luck comes without good planning...

Val Kilmer is brilliant, and Robert Downey Jr. isn't bad, either. They work very well together.
  57. Mar 28, 2014
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was certainly a very unique experience. Witty humor coupled with an interesting mystery thriller typically makes for a solid movie and this one is no exception. I really enjoyed the three leads; Robert Downey Jr., Val Kilmer, and Michelle Monaghan. All of them did a good job and contributed positively to the film. Overall, one of the most enjoyable aspects of this filmKiss Kiss Bang Bang was certainly a very unique experience. Witty humor coupled with an interesting mystery thriller typically makes for a solid movie and this one is no exception. I really enjoyed the three leads; Robert Downey Jr., Val Kilmer, and Michelle Monaghan. All of them did a good job and contributed positively to the film. Overall, one of the most enjoyable aspects of this film for aside from the laughs is the constant parallels drawn between the story of the film and a series of books mentioned frequently in the film. It is interesting while watching to see these parallels unfold throughout. Overall, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is certainly not a masterpiece, but what is nice to see is that it was creative. The plot, while I did enjoy it, is pretty straightforward and not exactly earth shattering. However, the added humor, especially from Downey and Kilmer, really elevated it above a cliched mystery thriller. Collapse
  58. Nov 25, 2012
    Clever, funny, Downey & Kilmer are incredible. One of my favorite movies, no doubt.
    Well, what do you expect, go watch, now !
    High five Shane Black !
  59. Nov 28, 2012
    So unique you just cannot help but love every single moment of it, "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" is a dark, satirical, and side-splittingly funny neo-noir dramedy.
  60. Sep 5, 2014
    A clever spoof of crime films with two leads that have surprisingly hilarious and brilliant chemistry. Robert Downey Jr has his second most watcheble performance; those wo love him don't need to ask what the first is. Val Kilmer is smart, witty, sarcastic, and a rather odd gay. Sharp, resolute, and bolstering a heavy amount high-octane laughter, those who love crime films will get one hellA clever spoof of crime films with two leads that have surprisingly hilarious and brilliant chemistry. Robert Downey Jr has his second most watcheble performance; those wo love him don't need to ask what the first is. Val Kilmer is smart, witty, sarcastic, and a rather odd gay. Sharp, resolute, and bolstering a heavy amount high-octane laughter, those who love crime films will get one hell of a laugh out of this. Expand

Shane Black creates a movie that is defiantly smartass and too cool for the room. I couldn't have liked it more.
  2. Black's retro-noir reminds us why we love movies: because they can surprise us, even when we're ankle deep in bullet casings, bodies and enough twists to tie us in knots.
  3. Downey and Monaghan are wonderful at playing characters that compensate for the harshness of their past with flippant swaggers.