Kitchen Stories

Feb 22, 2004
    Excellent movie.
  2. Mank
    Aug 10, 2004
    It's enough to jolly anyone out of a black mood. a really warm, lovely gem of a film - the best one i saw at the Melbourne International Film Festival, i think.
  3. JonathanS.
    Feb 24, 2005
    A gentle, beautiful film about the development of a friendship.
  4. SethF.
    Feb 29, 2004
    Very funny yet poignant.
  5. SallyD.
    Jan 14, 2005
    I enjoyed this movie thoroughly. The gradual shift in the relationship between the men was intelligent and very believable. The subtle theme of Norwegian-Swedish relations after the war added richness and complexity to the film. I have visited Norway and am aware that the resentment of the Norwegians towards the Swedes persisits to this day so it's interesting that this was addressed I enjoyed this movie thoroughly. The gradual shift in the relationship between the men was intelligent and very believable. The subtle theme of Norwegian-Swedish relations after the war added richness and complexity to the film. I have visited Norway and am aware that the resentment of the Norwegians towards the Swedes persisits to this day so it's interesting that this was addressed in such an understated but powerful way in this film. My take on the character of Folke was that he felt guiltyabout Sweden's neutrality which might explain his getting sick shortly after they crossed the border. It is also telling that he chose to move into Isak's house in Norway at the end of the film. Despite this serious theme however, I was delighted by the comic scenes in the film and laughed more than I do at many so-called comedies. The humor is gentle and, while it is poking fun at the "positivism" of the domestic engineering scientists, it is not at the expense of any individual character. While I felt initially put off by the gray presence of Folke that pretty quickly turned into sympathy for his impossible observing job from that absurd chair. Both the superb writing and acting managed to convey the quirky humanness of every character. Overall, Ithought this was one of the best films I have seen in a long time. It's the kind of film that I expect will stay with me for a long time and one I will be sure to pass on to friends and family. Expand
  6. Jao
    Feb 26, 2005
    Probably the best movie about friendship I've seen since Breakfast Club. Please don't think this is like Breakfast Club at all, in fact in no way are the two alike. You do get the same feeling from both, where there is hope in anyone at anytime to bring you happiness in a time when you least expect it. Add a well written script and Kitchen Stories will leave you with a smile.
  7. NachoG.
    Aug 3, 2005
    Beautiful, moving, humble picture. A real joy to watch!
  8. CameronS.
    Mar 23, 2004
    A comic examination about two grown men bonding.

1. Reviewed by: D. W. Smith
    Like all good films, it raises these types of questions, answering some, and leaving some for you to answer yourself.
  2. In the wonderfully droll Kitchen Stories, Norwegian filmmaker Bent Hamer takes an already inspired premise and weaves it into a spry absurdist comedy that also manages to find some considerable warmth.
  3. The film is saying that, left to their own devices, all men would devolve into a morass of monastic grouches. Kitchen Stories is a prime piece of comic anthropology.