6.7

1. MichelleS
    Mar 14, 2009
    I have read a few very bad reviews, and apparently they were watching a different movie because this one is freaking hilarious! I have seen it over and over again, and still laugh just as hard every time. Seth and Katherine are so funny together and I think they make a cute couple. Yes, there were some gross funny parts and stupid funny parts, but I personally think that makes a comedy I have read a few very bad reviews, and apparently they were watching a different movie because this one is freaking hilarious! I have seen it over and over again, and still laugh just as hard every time. Seth and Katherine are so funny together and I think they make a cute couple. Yes, there were some gross funny parts and stupid funny parts, but I personally think that makes a comedy really funny, a variety of types of jokes. If you haven't seen it, give it a chance. And to those of you who gave it a zero or one, you must not have a sense of humor at all...I understand if you didn't love it, but it deserves more than that. Expand
  2. Jan 6, 2011
    An immensely absurd and psychedelic gander into the long-term consequences of poor, irrational decision-making. "Knocked-Up" meshes as its plot takes on the real-world pandemic of unwanted pregnancies and the painstaking path of staying loyal to your partner and child despite the stigmas linked to the causes of one's attempt for seemingly harmless fun. Mission accomplished!
  3. Jul 21, 2013
    A hilarious film packed full of great supporting characters that add so much flavor to this sincere story. Raunchy and sweet have never mixed so well together.
  4. Apr 2, 2012
    The movie was decent, but definitly a step down from the previous film The 40 year old Virgin. A little too long, sappy, and sentimental at times. But its was enjoyable to watch.
  5. DiscoS.
    Dec 3, 2007
    What a godawful movie! Knocked up tries to balance humour with sentimentality and fails on both accounts. This is such a typical P.C. hollywood movie - all the kiddies swearing left, right and centre (draining any power that a well-placed invective may have potentially had), an underlying message about how sinful abortion is and how bad men are, and of course, even though there is the odd What a godawful movie! Knocked up tries to balance humour with sentimentality and fails on both accounts. This is such a typical P.C. hollywood movie - all the kiddies swearing left, right and centre (draining any power that a well-placed invective may have potentially had), an underlying message about how sinful abortion is and how bad men are, and of course, even though there is the odd boob or two flashed by some of the extras, during two sex scenes do you think the leading lady shows her boobies? Oh no - she's too virtuous for that - her bra stays firmly in place throughout. How coy!!! Just one example of how aggravatingly politically correct and completely insincere this movie is. Nothing new - except maybe the "crowning" during delivery, but any potential laughs there were squashed by the absolutely abysmal acting. Not one character tells it like it is, NOT ONCE! Completely insincere, predictable responses the whole way through. Given the potential in the story's premise, this movie was a HUGE disappointment. A total waste of time and money - worst movie of the year, easily. Expand
  6. jasonH.
    Nov 10, 2007
    It's a bad film, with flat characters, unbelievable situations, and a little too much faint Jew praise
  7. PeterA
    Nov 8, 2008
    I'm down the middle. Yeah, there were some laughs, but they were all centered around the beard bet. The premise isn't totally unbelievable, but I just didn't buy that she'd both want to keep the baby and stay with him. And I thought the writing flagged around the second trimester. I guess what annoys me most about Apatow is he's obviously a really smart, clever I'm down the middle. Yeah, there were some laughs, but they were all centered around the beard bet. The premise isn't totally unbelievable, but I just didn't buy that she'd both want to keep the baby and stay with him. And I thought the writing flagged around the second trimester. I guess what annoys me most about Apatow is he's obviously a really smart, clever guy who can't quite purge all the sophomoric impulses from his movies...the pot-smoking and potty mouth stuff seems geared to 12-year-olds, who clearly aren't equipped to handle the grown-up issues here. But maybe that's why it made a ton of money -- he's figured out a way to appeal to a pretty broad demo without actually satisfying them. Expand
  8. JudyL.
    Oct 4, 2008
    It is totally without any credibility that this smart and beautiful woman would fall in love with the charmless slob played by Seth Rogen. This is a male fantasy movie. He does NOTHING to win her, to justify that she would fall in love with him. The film does not even address the issue as to why she would even have the baby. The only good thing about the film was that at least the It is totally without any credibility that this smart and beautiful woman would fall in love with the charmless slob played by Seth Rogen. This is a male fantasy movie. He does NOTHING to win her, to justify that she would fall in love with him. The film does not even address the issue as to why she would even have the baby. The only good thing about the film was that at least the annoying boy-man grew up - though she still had to say that he was OK as he was. No, he wasn't! He and his mates were repulsive. Expand
  9. RobertL.
    Sep 15, 2008
    A complete waste of time. I hadn't realized it was a comedy until I read the reviews. I would have shut it off if it weren't for my girlfriend.
  10. Cristina
    Jun 24, 2009
    Misogynistic crap. A schlubby male fantasy.
  11. Sep 11, 2010
    This is Seth Rogen's/ Katherine Heigl's best movie ever. The storyline of an accidental pregnancy, and combined with the humor of the century, makes the perfect movie for people of a certain humor. I love Judd Apatow, because of his humorous mind, and his perfect choice of actors to play in his movies, such as Paul Rudd, Jason Segel, Martin Starr, Jonah Hill, and others.
  12. Feb 6, 2011
    This movie is a corny chick-flick. There's no dark humor in it at all. If that's what you're into, have a blast. If not, then try "Observe and Report," or "Pineapple Express."
  13. JayK
    Jun 4, 2007
    Extremely clever, genuine, and enjoyable movie. Very fulfilling. Similar in feel, quality, and style to 40-Year-Old-Virgin. It was also fun to see some of my "Freaks and Geeks" homeboys. I agree that the relationship between the main characters was a bit forced, but I didn't realize it at the time; I just loved every minute.
  14. Wei
    Jun 15, 2007
    This is probably going to be on one of those "Top 3 Comedies of 2007" lists anytime now. It's a brilliant movie and the characters are developed so well that even the absurd moments seem everyday logical. It's hilarious and dragged only a minute bit but eventually dragged itself back up from not very far down and headed right back into hilarity. And the language thing will be a This is probably going to be on one of those "Top 3 Comedies of 2007" lists anytime now. It's a brilliant movie and the characters are developed so well that even the absurd moments seem everyday logical. It's hilarious and dragged only a minute bit but eventually dragged itself back up from not very far down and headed right back into hilarity. And the language thing will be a problem if you are particularly offended by certain words and cannot ignore them out of some excruciatingly persistent morality row. Expand
  15. MichaelC.
    Jun 22, 2007
    As far as comedy goes this is a great one. Consistently making everyone in the room laugh. Movie can be crude at times. Katherine Heigl is trying really hard not to be a bitch and at times she is successful. Overall a very funny movie.
  16. ChrisD.
    Jun 8, 2007
    I'm giving this film a nine because despite a certain Hollywoodish ending it is fresh and rewrites the romantic comedy with a hell of a lot more honesty than I have yet to see. The beauty is that it does this like a good conman would, so that you feel good even after you know you've been ripped off a bit. The main cast is stellar. It's funny and celebrates life. I'm giving this film a nine because despite a certain Hollywoodish ending it is fresh and rewrites the romantic comedy with a hell of a lot more honesty than I have yet to see. The beauty is that it does this like a good conman would, so that you feel good even after you know you've been ripped off a bit. The main cast is stellar. It's funny and celebrates life. There's maybe a few holes but overall it's worth ten bucks now and twenty later when it comes out on dvd. Expand
  17. JonathanJ
    May 7, 2009
    It starts with a montage and only gets worse. The only real joke is people are actually paying to see this crap.
  18. AdamH.
    Nov 10, 2007
    One of my favorite comedies of all time!!! Not quite as good as superbad, but it is so fun to watch a movie with characters that speak like real guys and real girls. Apatow is truly a genius for being able to present this style in such a hilarious movie.... 100% satisfied!!!
  19. TimE.
    Dec 2, 2007
    I has a few great moments but the rest of it seems like a glorified American Pie.
  20. CharlieW.
    May 31, 2007
    Funny as hell. Better than 40 year old.
  21. Brendan
    Jun 1, 2007
    Of course there's lots of foul language, sex jokes, and drug use. The title of the movie is "Knocked Up". Why anyone would complain that this film contains TOO MUCH of this stuff when it clearly states in the preview that this is a result of a DRUNKEN ONE-NIGHT STAND is beyond me. R rating plus title Knocked Up equals DUH! They talk about sex. What else did you expect?
  22. Robert
    Jun 2, 2007
    HAs cracked my greatest comedies of all time list...way up there...its passed 40 year old Virgin..Into Grandma's Boy territory..haha.
  23. AndrewG.
    Jun 2, 2007
    Easily one of the best movies I have ever seen.
  24. JeremyP.
    Jun 2, 2007
    Excellent film, couldn't stop laughing quite frequently.
  25. JosephN.
    Jun 24, 2007
    Pros: 1. If you like crude humor, this is great. 2. One liners that make you chuckle. Cons: 1. About 95% of the movie isn't funny at all, only a slow decline into a failed depressing save. 2. Not many comedies can pull of the 2 hour thing, and this movie is a clear sign that they shouldn't.
  26. RonV.
    Jun 2, 2007
    Solid laughs. good flick.
  27. MattK.
    Jun 3, 2007
    The best movie i've seen all year.
  28. AllistairP.
    Jun 3, 2007
    First off, if you love F&G/Undeclared then the cast here should pull you in and you will enjoy this THAT much more. After the funny but not all that poignant Judd Apatow, it seemed almost certain that he would go further into the hollywood comedy field with Will Farrel staring in his next film. Yet, here we are with one of the most moving, honest, hilarious, and visionary (not in a First off, if you love F&G/Undeclared then the cast here should pull you in and you will enjoy this THAT much more. After the funny but not all that poignant Judd Apatow, it seemed almost certain that he would go further into the hollywood comedy field with Will Farrel staring in his next film. Yet, here we are with one of the most moving, honest, hilarious, and visionary (not in a pompous way, just as in "its a guy's vision") films of 2007 (in fact, the only one). The dialogue is so sweet and charming that it takes a real soaring talent to write and the actors are so damn good (we loved them in F&G for a reason!) Judd Apatow really has pulled off the impossible since F&G went off air, he encapsulated a decade for us that seemed to be nothing more than a hodge podge of clever references to past decades. He is this generations John Hughes or Kevin Smith. Hype could kill this movie, so I hope you actually didn't read this. Expand
  29. JeffS.
    Jun 3, 2007
    It's not often that I say this but anybody who didn't enjoy the movie would only do so because they have a large stick implanted between their buttocks. As a 23 year old on the verge of marriage and parenthood, the movie spoke to me in a way no movie has since I was 16 and saw Almost Famous. Fantastic writing and beautiful characterization.
  30. ColleenM.
    Jun 3, 2007
    This movie was Hysterical! The funniest movie I have seen in years. It has been a long time since there has been a comedy out where you are actually laughing outloud in the movie theater. I would recommend this movie to everyone!
  31. Jefframone
    Jun 3, 2007
    After "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" there was a huge margin for disappointment. Judd Apatow and Seth Rogan lived up to every positive expectation I had about what this movie should be. This movie is non-stop laughter and like "Virgin", just as sweet and endearing. But I think that the each time it careened toward the precipice of over-sentimentality it's juvenile stoner antics and sharply After "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" there was a huge margin for disappointment. Judd Apatow and Seth Rogan lived up to every positive expectation I had about what this movie should be. This movie is non-stop laughter and like "Virgin", just as sweet and endearing. But I think that the each time it careened toward the precipice of over-sentimentality it's juvenile stoner antics and sharply realistic male behaviors put the breaks on. In my opinion this film is a perfect balance of the two. My only negative criticism is that like "Virgin" it might be just slightly too long, but I'd be hard pressed to say what should be cut. This is nearly a perfect comedy. Expand
  32. RobD.
    Jun 4, 2007
    This movie was fantastic. Funny, dry, heartfelt and a lot more cohesive than The 40-year-old Virgin." The only small quibble I had was with the set-up for the romance between Ben and Alison. Not well established, even though by the end of the movie I bought it...but at 2 hours I'm not sure how much more set up I would be willing to endure. Still, funny as all get out, no doubt.
  33. SarahB.
    Jun 4, 2007
    Really good movie. Although high on the raunchiness scale, not out of the realm of behavior I've seen from my husband's friends back at that age. Also covered situations very realistically, not the typical Hollywood treatment.
  34. AlisonG
    Jun 4, 2007
    If you "IMDB" this movie, you'll see that the cast are no strangers . . . they have starred together in productions as far back as Freaks and Geeks. You could tell that there was massive chemistry between the castmates because this movie was HILARIOUS. I haven't had sidepain during a movie EVER from laughing so hard . . . until now.
  35. CharlesM.
    Jun 4, 2007
    Eh.. That's how this struck me. Meh. Not very funny, not especially well acted. Not much to say really, unlike the rabid defenders/detractors. Just kinda OK with shadings towards the stinky side. Seth Rogen certainly cannot carry a leading role, and Paul Rudd was poorly utilized.
  36. BillH.
    Jun 4, 2007
    There was nothing wrong with this movie, but there was nothing really right about it either. I didn't find it nearly as funny as the reviews are making it sound, but there were a few laughs. It would have been better if it was about 30 minutes shorter.
  37. AnonymousMC
    Jun 6, 2007
    If this movie isn't appreciated by some, it's because they have confused, silly notions about "morals" that prove they have not actually seen "Knocked Up" or have been spoiled enough by all the dumb, cheap trick comedies to come out of Hollywood ("Click," "Wild Hogs") that they can't appreciate something that truly is HUMOROUS. I won't say "Knocked Up" is a masterpeice,If this movie isn't appreciated by some, it's because they have confused, silly notions about "morals" that prove they have not actually seen "Knocked Up" or have been spoiled enough by all the dumb, cheap trick comedies to come out of Hollywood ("Click," "Wild Hogs") that they can't appreciate something that truly is HUMOROUS. I won't say "Knocked Up" is a masterpeice, but it is one of the better comedies this year, and deserves to be seen. In fact, f*** what anyone says about it and just go see it! Expand
  38. AllisonR.
    Jun 6, 2007
    I thought "Knocked up" was hilarious. The whole thing just had a feel-good vibe to it, and just about every part of the movie kept me laughing!
  39. BobP.
    Jun 7, 2007
    Hilarious. Instantly vaults itself into my top 5 movies of all time. Hard to imagine a movie funnier than this ever being made.
  40. LauraP.
    Jun 7, 2007
    A comfy, reassurring promise for the underachieving, developmentally arrested nebbish whose worst nightmare results after a Cinderfella night with his wildest dreams. A man's version of "having it all," leaves nothing for the woman. Humorous at times, but tragic overall.
  41. JenniferK
    Jun 7, 2007
    Great movie. I was rolling around laughing my ass off practically the whole time. "Dude, there are 5 different types of chairs in this hotel.... WHY ARE THEY ALL HERE??" Haha definitely a must see. Anyone who doesn't see the humor in this movie is probably a stuck up christian, and probably also a virgin.
  42. JakeS.
    Jun 8, 2007
    Balanced perfectly. Finally a chick flick that guys can appreciate.
  43. DanielC.
    Jul 4, 2007
    Knocked up aims to be and succeeds at being one of the best comedies coming out this winter. The reason why this comedy works is because all the characters work. Ben's frat friends work well, the awkward moments between the married couple, Ben and Allison add some good moments while the conversations between Allison and her boss work well too. For all of those who are bemoaning the Knocked up aims to be and succeeds at being one of the best comedies coming out this winter. The reason why this comedy works is because all the characters work. Ben's frat friends work well, the awkward moments between the married couple, Ben and Allison add some good moments while the conversations between Allison and her boss work well too. For all of those who are bemoaning the level of swearing, grow up. That's right, grow up. You sound like a bunch of kids going Did he say the p word? Oh! Jeez. People swear, and people especially swear in moments such as these. If you don't like comedies with a little spice on the side, stick to the cartoons, us normal people will be reveling in a great movie which aims to celebrate relationships and the trials and tribulations of them, and succeeds. Expand
  44. ZackP.
    Jan 9, 2008
    This movie is not a teen movie or a main stream comedy for me and it hurt close to home about the questions of love and the mistakes we take as we age.
  45. ThismoviehitVeryClosetoHome
    May 23, 2008
    Okay I loved it. I'll admit it wasn't quite a masterpiece but very real. Some of the other comments on here actually make me really mad because it is very similar to my own life story about my husband and my daughter. So its a shame that SOME people on here obviously know nothing about love and family. Its not that unreal because I really lived it-and she doesn't give up Okay I loved it. I'll admit it wasn't quite a masterpiece but very real. Some of the other comments on here actually make me really mad because it is very similar to my own life story about my husband and my daughter. So its a shame that SOME people on here obviously know nothing about love and family. Its not that unreal because I really lived it-and she doesn't give up anything-remember-she still works at E!- very good movie and NOT THAT FAR FETCHED AFTERALL. (although I am from the midwest were people are a little less shallow than L.A.) And yah it wasnt a slapstick kind of movie-real life is funny, too! Expand
  46. JimmyK.
    Aug 13, 2008
    This movie is a complete rip-off of a book that came out 6 months before. Plagiarism at its best!
  47. JohnF.
    Aug 2, 2008
    Oh my god its so unbelievable! Jesus people its a movie, its not supposed to be believable and completely realistic. I thought this movie was absolutely hilarious, Ive watched it probably 10 times and it gets funnier every time. Lighten up.
  48. EDO
    Oct 15, 2007
    Horrible movie.Worst I've ever seen. I can't believe anyone would think this is funny.
  49. fichot
    Oct 15, 2007
    One of the worst comedies of all times. Way too long. No LOL's, just a few shy laughs. Extra-boring.
  50. ilarik.
    Oct 2, 2007
    Down-to-earth, warm, humane and blunt, just the opposite of your average comedy, highly recommended.
  51. JoelX
    Oct 26, 2007
    A couple of laughs - at most. The male character is so boorish and irresponsible it is hard to believe any self-respecting woman would go to bed with him no matter how drunk she was. There were plenty of opportrunities for humor, but not with these characters or this script.
  52. badmovie
    Oct 28, 2007
    This movie isn't superbad, but it's super bad.
  53. leeh.
    Oct 3, 2007
    A very funny, astute, intelligent, raunchy, and, adult comedy. it stands out like an oasis in a desert of childish, boorish attempts by other Hollywood efforts.
  54. DotF.
    Oct 6, 2007
    There are a couple of genuine laughs but mostly it's a boring 2-hour celebration of drugs, profanity, selfishness and stupidity. I really felt ripped off. I'm mystified by all the praise this overrated movie receives.
  55. KimL.
    Oct 8, 2007
    What?? This movie was awful. Stupid, not funny, not touching, you don't feel anything except apathy at any of the (shallow) stupid characters. How did this move get such a high rating from critics and viewers alike?
  56. JTerzino
    May 31, 2007
    Saw it at a free screening and it was freaking hilarious!!!!!!!! Going again tomorrow to give them my money.
  57. JasonDanahy
    Jun 10, 2007
    Great movie wouldn't have changed a thing. Perfect balance of heart and crude humor. Wife loved it just as much as I did.
  58. Jared
    Jun 10, 2007
    One of the funniest movies i've ever seen. Ranks up there with movies like Old School, 40 Year Old Virgin, Dodgeball and Wedding Crashers on my list.
  59. Kyle
    Jun 1, 2007
    This movie was much more than just a comedy
  60. KatieD.
    Excellent in every way.
  61. LeotisH.
    Tremendous. Off-the-charts.
  62. BCS
    Jun 1, 2007
    Amazing. Hilarious every minute but still sliding seamlessly through the plot, and having a good ratio of seriousness and funny...ness.
  63. BenL.
    Jun 13, 2007
    I laughed so hard my sides hurt. Apatow brings a refreshing burst of realism to comedy.
  64. Debbie
    Jun 13, 2007
    This was terribly disappointing...in addition to using the "F-word" over one hundred times, there were many, many crude references to both the male and female anatomy, including the "C-word". There were graphic sex scenes between the couple, both before and after she becomes pregnant, and mock sex scenes acted out between Ben's four male friends. As for those who say that it's This was terribly disappointing...in addition to using the "F-word" over one hundred times, there were many, many crude references to both the male and female anatomy, including the "C-word". There were graphic sex scenes between the couple, both before and after she becomes pregnant, and mock sex scenes acted out between Ben's four male friends. As for those who say that it's realistic, this would never happen. I can't believe that there would be ONE person in her position that would seek out a drug-addicted, unemployed, foul-mouthed failure to be a father to her child. Expand
  65. Erin
    Jun 15, 2007
    Ok I thought this was hilarious. like 40 year old virgin, but more relaxed/natural flow of humor. every line was funny... i was cramped up from laughing so hard. and for those who were bothered by people smokign pot (oh gee!) or dropping f bombs (gosh!), or having sex (oh my!), um thats why its rated R. get a life.
  66. AnonymousMC
    Jun 17, 2007
    This movie is hilarious - the whole way through I was laughing hysterically, and I'm the kind of girl who usually loves drama and romance. It was a dose of reality with a whole lot of comedy, and the whole theater was laughing throughout the movie! Definetly my new favorite movie!
  67. SusanH.
    Jun 2, 2007
    The worst - I couldn't find anything redeeming about it. It wasn't funny at at all and I found it extremly disgusting.
  68. Doug
    Jun 2, 2007
    The whole premise of the movie is great. Certain scenes were lol funny but they pushed the envelope a bit too much with the drug use and cursing. I too can appreciate the cursing when necessary but when it is in every other line it just seems that the script was lacking in true dialogue and clever humor. the editing was poor and music was forced. overall there was minimal character The whole premise of the movie is great. Certain scenes were lol funny but they pushed the envelope a bit too much with the drug use and cursing. I too can appreciate the cursing when necessary but when it is in every other line it just seems that the script was lacking in true dialogue and clever humor. the editing was poor and music was forced. overall there was minimal character development and unrealistic connections . it does not deserve an 85 rating but there are note worthy scenes. Expand
  69. GregC.
    Jun 2, 2007
    This was an overall terrific movie that couldnt have been made any differnently. Judd Apatow did a great job directing this movie and one thing he does better than any other director is he trusts his actors enough to let them do some improvising. This was easily one of the funniest movies I have ever seen, and for those complaining about the sex jokes, vulgarity, and drug use in the This was an overall terrific movie that couldnt have been made any differnently. Judd Apatow did a great job directing this movie and one thing he does better than any other director is he trusts his actors enough to let them do some improvising. This was easily one of the funniest movies I have ever seen, and for those complaining about the sex jokes, vulgarity, and drug use in the movie, then dont go see it. You can infer from the title and the R rating that it is going to have it in their and if you have seen the 40 year old virgin, than that is another clue. This movie portrays real life relationships very well and how to oppsites can completely attract to eachother. Overall a terrific movie with realism, excilent commedy, good acting, and a TON of laughs!! Expand
  70. CoryP.
    Jun 2, 2007
    As of my review, this movie was rated a 8.9 ? Nothing was original about this movie. Why does our society continue to gravitate towards disgusting humor such as this ? This really could have been a good movie with a great plot. Too sad.
  71. MarcA.
    Jun 20, 2007
    "Oh, snap! The clever stoner's having a baby!" That's the audience reaction aimed for in Knocked Up. There are some brilliant moments (including every second of Kristen Wiig), but the plot is sloppy, unbelievable and completely ignorant of real-world class distinctions. A house full of unemployed stoners -- who somehow have a comfortable, worry-free lifestyle -- intersect the "Oh, snap! The clever stoner's having a baby!" That's the audience reaction aimed for in Knocked Up. There are some brilliant moments (including every second of Kristen Wiig), but the plot is sloppy, unbelievable and completely ignorant of real-world class distinctions. A house full of unemployed stoners -- who somehow have a comfortable, worry-free lifestyle -- intersect the clean, judgmental world of an even richer and more comfortable family, and then they all start spouting glib self-help cliches and quoting their favorite movies. Apatow's dialogue is best in its few moments of dry wit, but too often his characters sound like standups at a party, jabbering on with cynical references to pop culture. If you like that stuff, you'll also enjoy the heavy burden of blatant product placement -- more than in a Superbowl broadcast. Seth Rogen is really funny, but it would be more impressive had his talent been used in service of a greater purpose, rather than just going, "Hey, look how quippy Seth Rogen is!" for two hours. Knocked Up could have worked if it had either gone for broad and crazy, or aimed for an organic, realistic story. It fails largely because it tries clumsily to split the difference. Expand
  72. RobertH.
    Jun 2, 2007
    A very funny and raunchy film, but also honest and heartfelt.
  73. TonyC.
    Jun 24, 2007
    This movie was just not funny and other audience members by their lack of reaction appeared to agree with me. The plot was dependent on a series of unlikely choices by the female lead - being attracted to this stoner, continuing with the pregnancy, wanting to build a relationship, living with her sister and husband, etc. the writing and casting also let the movie down badly
  74. AndrewK.
    Jun 27, 2007
    Hahahaha. Stupid people with your morals. I'm so glad that I'm such an immoral person because it doesn't hurt me to hear someone use a dirty word. For real, why did you even go to this movie? Are you so lacking in perception that you actually thought this was a family film? And why do people think that "Hollywood" is some anthropomorphised entity that creates every film Hahahaha. Stupid people with your morals. I'm so glad that I'm such an immoral person because it doesn't hurt me to hear someone use a dirty word. For real, why did you even go to this movie? Are you so lacking in perception that you actually thought this was a family film? And why do people think that "Hollywood" is some anthropomorphised entity that creates every film that comes out and is somehow a moral barometer for America? See, there are actually many individual and actual human beings who work on movies. It's not this fictional force known as "Hollywood," and they're not out to tear down your morality. And the random Jew basher can go going Mel Gibson. And another thing. There's an actual movie to talk about here. It was great. I personally think 40 Year Old Virgin was better and funnier, but I think this movie is a more well constructed film. It's tighter. It doesn't have constant obvious improvisation. Everyone in it is hilarious. And how bout that random Asian chick? She was so bizarre and hilarious at the same time. Schmaltz? I don't think so. Real emotion and real issues that are important but ought to be taken along with some good humor. Yeah, those moments with the baby crowning were a little shocking, but I like surprises. I wonder how they did that. It looked pretty real. Seth Rogen can totally carry a film. See this movie if you like to laugh and you're not an uptight prude. Oh and also, "Crash" is one of the worst films ever made. Just thought you all might like to know that. Expand
  75. RobJ.
    Jun 29, 2007
    The movie was alright. It had its funny moments. . . I'll admit thats its a great rental, but I wouldn't feel like I'm missing out if I didn't see it in theatres.
  76. GaborA.
    Jun 2, 2007
    Bad editing, boring directing, weak plot development, uneven drama, irrational character actions/reactions, and cheap shots(a GYNO that mistakes the anus for the vagina). However, funny as hell. Apatow never resorts to low brow. Most impressively in an age where it seems every comedy starts with a good hour and crumbles in the last half hour; Knocked Up is consistent for its whole 2+ hour Bad editing, boring directing, weak plot development, uneven drama, irrational character actions/reactions, and cheap shots(a GYNO that mistakes the anus for the vagina). However, funny as hell. Apatow never resorts to low brow. Most impressively in an age where it seems every comedy starts with a good hour and crumbles in the last half hour; Knocked Up is consistent for its whole 2+ hour runtime. That alone is worth seeing this movie. Expand
  77. CarolH.
    Jun 29, 2007
    This was the worse film I've ever seen and I'm discussed that all it contained was a few hundred thousand repeats of the F word along with every other demeaning word attached to the reproductive organs of the body. I went to see a comedy and saw a pitiful example of what the world today thinks is funny. The characters were so low breed that I wonder if they were based on the This was the worse film I've ever seen and I'm discussed that all it contained was a few hundred thousand repeats of the F word along with every other demeaning word attached to the reproductive organs of the body. I went to see a comedy and saw a pitiful example of what the world today thinks is funny. The characters were so low breed that I wonder if they were based on the character of the producers and actors. If so, I'm glad I am not a part of the younger generation. It seems their entire purpose is to talk as filthy as they can and make the human population seem lower based than cockroaches who also feed on filth. Expand
  78. GeoffP.
    Jun 3, 2007
    This movie isn't nearly as clever or funny as most people seem to think it is: the plot is thin and predictable, the jokes are almost always crude and carnal, and the characters are annoying. In one scene, the slobby protaganist worries that his penis is poking the baby while he's having sex with his pregnant girlfriend. Disgusting.
  79. KevinR.
    Jun 3, 2007
    A very funny comedy that reminds us how to make a very intense, life-changing experience into something more.
  80. JackR.
    Jun 3, 2007
    I rarely post on metacritic, but I had to comment on this film. Judd Apatow takes what are the most basic, shallow-minded formulatic hollowood plotlines and somehow infuses them with originality, freshness & emotional depth. The film is screamingly funny with great characters. It reminded of the film Sideways, in that extemely funny things happen on the surface, but it is also a deeply I rarely post on metacritic, but I had to comment on this film. Judd Apatow takes what are the most basic, shallow-minded formulatic hollowood plotlines and somehow infuses them with originality, freshness & emotional depth. The film is screamingly funny with great characters. It reminded of the film Sideways, in that extemely funny things happen on the surface, but it is also a deeply funny film with amusing insights into human nature. Judd Apatow is a true magician. A very impressive movie. Expand
  81. ZakF.
    Jun 3, 2007
    I laughed my ass off threw 90% of the movie, and so did the rest of the PACKED movie theater. Great plot, great B actors, great improv acting, and just outstanding directing. Great to see with friends, and I'll definitely be picking this one up on DVD.
  82. Chuckyo
    Jun 3, 2007
    The movie is a little overrated (it's not as funny as 40-Year-Old Virgin), but it was still well worth the money!
  83. MikeM.
    Jun 3, 2007
    I've never laughed more consistently through a 2hr movie in my life. There were chuckles every 2 minutes and hysterical comedic nuggets through out the film. An awesome look into some of the ramifications the "hook up" culture of Generation X & Y has created for itself. Great comedy, great film. Older people (50+) might not "get it."
  84. RS.
    Jun 3, 2007
    All of the people giving this movie a low score need to lighten up. It was a romantic comedy that was not mean to have some deep plot. I thought it was funny and the actors did a great job. I wish more comedies could be this good. I was laughing out loud - even in places where I was embarresed to be laughing out loud.
  85. GeorgeR.
    Jun 3, 2007
    It was O.K. Its not the "funniest movie ever" as people and reviewers make it out to be. I did laugh and enjoyed the story. Thats it. A lot of hype.
  86. JustinG.
    Jun 3, 2007
    1, 1! Are you serious? There is a reason this movie is one of the best reviewed of the year. If anyone tells you it is bad do not trust anything this person says ever again. They are more then likely on meth and cannot under any circumstances be trusted for advice or child care. Best comedy in years and even better than 40 Year Old Virgin.
  87. bean!
    Jun 30, 2007
    It's freaking me out people think this film is funny. It's not. The acting is poor, the script is terrible, the characters pat and undeveloped, and the few jokes that were laughable were repeated so often as to become annoying. Not only that, but since when does a woman have to get married if she's pregnant? The movie's premise is just so... disgusting. Very, very bad.
  88. JoanG.
    Jun 4, 2007
    It was really great, really, really funny, but not quite as special as 40YOV. For me, this very truthful movie was missing some very important truth at its core. We were given zero reason to believe or understand why Alison would love Ben and actually plan to begin a life with him. (I would say "and visa versa," but Alison is so beautiful, smart, and successful that someone like Ben would It was really great, really, really funny, but not quite as special as 40YOV. For me, this very truthful movie was missing some very important truth at its core. We were given zero reason to believe or understand why Alison would love Ben and actually plan to begin a life with him. (I would say "and visa versa," but Alison is so beautiful, smart, and successful that someone like Ben would simply be stunned that she had anything to do with him at all, and wouldn't care about whether they had anything in common.) It's not that Ben isn't lovable, but the movie never shows you any way that their personalities actually fit together. This is a big difference from Virgin, where one of the beautiful things about the movie was how much sense the relationship made. Moreover, even if Alison's personalty was more compatible with Ben's -- if, for example, we had learned that she had been a bit of a slacker herself before she went into TV and "grew up" -- in real life Alison would be much, much, MUCH more freaked out by Ben's lack of a job or any prospects at all. This is another thing that Virgin did much better -- the Catherine Keener character talks to Steve Carrell bluntly about whether he wants to be a sales clerk all his life, and they come up with a plan that makes perfect sense for him. I think they could have done a couple things to fix this problem in Knocked Up, with a few very tiny changes. For example, after the one-night stand, Alison could have seen Ben as a fun, guilty pleasure, someone who reminded her of her more fun college days -- but someone that she would never take seriously today. And then she finds out that she is pregnant by this lovavble loser, and totally freaks out. On the Ben side, we could have seen some teeny tiny indication that he might have some genuine brains or talent or creativity -- maybe -- and Alison could alternate between hope and despair at his prospects. Almost all the jokes save a couple could stay, and the stuff I'm suggesting would create its own humor, I still love Judd Apatow, but turns out he can't fully see the woman's point of view here. In both relationships in this movie, guys who would still like to remain boys marry women whose primary (only?) characteristics are: (1) They're beautiful and (2) They're all serious and grown-up. The idea that a man and a woman in a relationship should have something fundamental in common (even if they are outwardly very different) does not seem to enter anyone's mind. Oh, well. It was still a hilarous, sweet movie. Expand
    Jun 4, 2007
    I am 23, married, and about to start trying for a baby. This movie hit the nail on the head of this stage in life. It's a little preposterous, but so is life. And I am really grateful for how mature and sensible my husband is after seeing this movie.
  90. AdamA.
    Jun 4, 2007
    Uneven and far from perfect, but far more comic gold than can possibly be counted, and all of it with heart. it wasn't quite as good as the hype, but when I compare to anything of remotely the same genre, there really isn't any comparison. avoid the hype machine, but absolutely positively go sit down and see this movie if it even remotely appeals to you. Highly recommended.
  91. JohnD.
    Jun 5, 2007
    I don't know what the big deal it about this film. I went to it this afternoon and I can probably count on one hand the laughs I heard. It was cute, but too long and melodramatic. The second half was painful to sit through... by the one hour point you are waiting for the movie to end.... quickly.
  92. GregM.
    Jun 5, 2007
    Good movie though I could find no reasonable explanation for her tryst with Seth Rogen--none. In real life, I'm sorry, it wouldn't have happened, and it bothered me that no one jumped on Seth about his unemployed status. To Larry: sorry for the 'fowl' language, I guess, but I didn't see any ducks in the movie?
  93. Brad
    Jun 6, 2007
    Great movie made me laugh so hard I cried and farted at the same time, which I thought to be as nearly impossible.
  94. AlexD.
    Jun 7, 2007
    I was surprised by how much I liked it. Easy going and cleverly written! Better than most films that try to succeed in the "great guilty pleasures" category!
  95. KatieN
    Jun 8, 2007
    This was definitely the best comedy of 2007 so far! I loved it and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a good laugh.
  96. KingJ.
    Jun 9, 2007
    I went to this because I enjoyed the "40 year old virgin" so much. This is nothing like that on any level. Relentlessly vulgar and cheap. If you are over twenty five, I would recommend staying as far away as possible. Rent 'Ball of Fire' with Barbara Stanwyck and Gary Cooper instead.
  97. SteveK
    Jul 10, 2007
    I can't believe how low the ratings are from other viewers. This is by far the best comedy of the year thus far. Though the movie was filled with some "teen" humor, it was refreshing to have an adult theme. These things happen and in crazy circumstances, incredible results can occur. I highly recommend this flick, though I suspect some teens will find it boring after the opening half hour.
  98. IanC
    Jul 19, 2007
    At this point, I know personally tons of people who have gone to see this movie, and it's really turning into a kind of litmus test. What do I mean by that? Everyone who saw Knocked Up and didn't like it (or rather hated it with a passion -- there aren't many who don't feel very strongly one way or the other) very visibly share some character qualities: they're At this point, I know personally tons of people who have gone to see this movie, and it's really turning into a kind of litmus test. What do I mean by that? Everyone who saw Knocked Up and didn't like it (or rather hated it with a passion -- there aren't many who don't feel very strongly one way or the other) very visibly share some character qualities: they're pedantic, snobby, and ultra-conservative -- the kind of people who would typically like something a lot more if everyone else didn't like it first. If you don't want to waste your time reading the negative reviews, I'll sum up their complaints: one complains about the language (and, fair enough, if you really can't stand the "F" bomb, it's probably not for you); another complains that it is "pro life" (which is truly a ridiculous thing to say, as this issue is far from central to the movie) and that there are ultrasounds in it (sorry?); and another claims that Heigl's character "lusts after" Rogen's (which is completely not the case and really makes it sound like she didn't actually see it). If you pick apart every joke, they're not all 10s, but to call the humor in this movie "male junior high" level is to compare it to the crap in the back catalogs of Adam Sandler or Jimmy Fallon, and that's just absurd. The bottom line is that you should go see Knocked Up, not because every moment is flat-out hilarious, but because it's an engaging and cohesive American comedy that makes you feel like you've seen something thoroughly good by the end of it, and how often does that happen? Expand
  99. JamesM.
    Jul 1, 2007
    This film was hilarious. My wife and I went to see it, and I initially thought I was being dragged to see a chick flick. Boy was I surprised. The entire theater was laughing out loud hysterically throughout the entire film. Great surprise.
  100. vannie
    Jul 20, 2007
    Hahaha. funny as heck. what makes it so funny is that we all have friends that are dorky and we can relate to these guys. the only people who wouldn't find this funny are people who either ARE the dorks or have no friends at all.

1. Knocked Up feels very NOW. The banter is bruisingly funny, the characters BRILLIANTLY childish, the portrait of our culture's narrowing gap between children and their elders hysterical--in all senses.
    Knocked Up could be one of the summer of 2007's sleeper hits. It certainly deserves the distinction.
    On the surface, Apatow's films are about sex--obsessively, exclusively, and exhaustively. (This one lasts more than two hours.) But that is a clever feint, for their true subject is age.