6.7

1. DiscoS.
    Dec 3, 2007
    What a godawful movie! Knocked up tries to balance humour with sentimentality and fails on both accounts. This is such a typical P.C. hollywood movie - all the kiddies swearing left, right and centre (draining any power that a well-placed invective may have potentially had), an underlying message about how sinful abortion is and how bad men are, and of course, even though there is the odd What a godawful movie! Knocked up tries to balance humour with sentimentality and fails on both accounts. This is such a typical P.C. hollywood movie - all the kiddies swearing left, right and centre (draining any power that a well-placed invective may have potentially had), an underlying message about how sinful abortion is and how bad men are, and of course, even though there is the odd boob or two flashed by some of the extras, during two sex scenes do you think the leading lady shows her boobies? Oh no - she's too virtuous for that - her bra stays firmly in place throughout. How coy!!! Just one example of how aggravatingly politically correct and completely insincere this movie is. Nothing new - except maybe the "crowning" during delivery, but any potential laughs there were squashed by the absolutely abysmal acting. Not one character tells it like it is, NOT ONCE! Completely insincere, predictable responses the whole way through. Given the potential in the story's premise, this movie was a HUGE disappointment. A total waste of time and money - worst movie of the year, easily. Expand
  2. jasonH.
    Nov 10, 2007
    It's a bad film, with flat characters, unbelievable situations, and a little too much faint Jew praise
  3. JudyL.
    Oct 4, 2008
    It is totally without any credibility that this smart and beautiful woman would fall in love with the charmless slob played by Seth Rogen. This is a male fantasy movie. He does NOTHING to win her, to justify that she would fall in love with him. The film does not even address the issue as to why she would even have the baby. The only good thing about the film was that at least the It is totally without any credibility that this smart and beautiful woman would fall in love with the charmless slob played by Seth Rogen. This is a male fantasy movie. He does NOTHING to win her, to justify that she would fall in love with him. The film does not even address the issue as to why she would even have the baby. The only good thing about the film was that at least the annoying boy-man grew up - though she still had to say that he was OK as he was. No, he wasn't! He and his mates were repulsive. Expand
  4. RobertL.
    Sep 15, 2008
    A complete waste of time. I hadn't realized it was a comedy until I read the reviews. I would have shut it off if it weren't for my girlfriend.
  5. Feb 6, 2011
    This movie is a corny chick-flick. There's no dark humor in it at all. If that's what you're into, have a blast. If not, then try "Observe and Report," or "Pineapple Express."
  6. JonathanJ
    May 7, 2009
    It starts with a montage and only gets worse. The only real joke is people are actually paying to see this crap.
  7. CharlesM.
    Jun 4, 2007
    Eh.. That's how this struck me. Meh. Not very funny, not especially well acted. Not much to say really, unlike the rabid defenders/detractors. Just kinda OK with shadings towards the stinky side. Seth Rogen certainly cannot carry a leading role, and Paul Rudd was poorly utilized.
  8. JimmyK.
    Aug 13, 2008
    This movie is a complete rip-off of a book that came out 6 months before. Plagiarism at its best!
  9. EDO
    Oct 15, 2007
    Horrible movie.Worst I've ever seen. I can't believe anyone would think this is funny.
  10. fichot
    Oct 15, 2007
    One of the worst comedies of all times. Way too long. No LOL's, just a few shy laughs. Extra-boring.
  11. JoelX
    Oct 26, 2007
    A couple of laughs - at most. The male character is so boorish and irresponsible it is hard to believe any self-respecting woman would go to bed with him no matter how drunk she was. There were plenty of opportrunities for humor, but not with these characters or this script.
  12. badmovie
    Oct 28, 2007
    This movie isn't superbad, but it's super bad.
  13. DotF.
    Oct 6, 2007
    There are a couple of genuine laughs but mostly it's a boring 2-hour celebration of drugs, profanity, selfishness and stupidity. I really felt ripped off. I'm mystified by all the praise this overrated movie receives.
  14. KimL.
    Oct 8, 2007
    What?? This movie was awful. Stupid, not funny, not touching, you don't feel anything except apathy at any of the (shallow) stupid characters. How did this move get such a high rating from critics and viewers alike?
  15. Debbie
    Jun 13, 2007
    This was terribly disappointing...in addition to using the "F-word" over one hundred times, there were many, many crude references to both the male and female anatomy, including the "C-word". There were graphic sex scenes between the couple, both before and after she becomes pregnant, and mock sex scenes acted out between Ben's four male friends. As for those who say that it's This was terribly disappointing...in addition to using the "F-word" over one hundred times, there were many, many crude references to both the male and female anatomy, including the "C-word". There were graphic sex scenes between the couple, both before and after she becomes pregnant, and mock sex scenes acted out between Ben's four male friends. As for those who say that it's realistic, this would never happen. I can't believe that there would be ONE person in her position that would seek out a drug-addicted, unemployed, foul-mouthed failure to be a father to her child. Expand
  16. SusanH.
    Jun 2, 2007
    The worst - I couldn't find anything redeeming about it. It wasn't funny at at all and I found it extremly disgusting.
  17. CoryP.
    Jun 2, 2007
    As of my review, this movie was rated a 8.9 ? Nothing was original about this movie. Why does our society continue to gravitate towards disgusting humor such as this ? This really could have been a good movie with a great plot. Too sad.
  18. MarcA.
    Jun 20, 2007
    "Oh, snap! The clever stoner's having a baby!" That's the audience reaction aimed for in Knocked Up. There are some brilliant moments (including every second of Kristen Wiig), but the plot is sloppy, unbelievable and completely ignorant of real-world class distinctions. A house full of unemployed stoners -- who somehow have a comfortable, worry-free lifestyle -- intersect the "Oh, snap! The clever stoner's having a baby!" That's the audience reaction aimed for in Knocked Up. There are some brilliant moments (including every second of Kristen Wiig), but the plot is sloppy, unbelievable and completely ignorant of real-world class distinctions. A house full of unemployed stoners -- who somehow have a comfortable, worry-free lifestyle -- intersect the clean, judgmental world of an even richer and more comfortable family, and then they all start spouting glib self-help cliches and quoting their favorite movies. Apatow's dialogue is best in its few moments of dry wit, but too often his characters sound like standups at a party, jabbering on with cynical references to pop culture. If you like that stuff, you'll also enjoy the heavy burden of blatant product placement -- more than in a Superbowl broadcast. Seth Rogen is really funny, but it would be more impressive had his talent been used in service of a greater purpose, rather than just going, "Hey, look how quippy Seth Rogen is!" for two hours. Knocked Up could have worked if it had either gone for broad and crazy, or aimed for an organic, realistic story. It fails largely because it tries clumsily to split the difference. Collapse
  19. TonyC.
    Jun 24, 2007
    This movie was just not funny and other audience members by their lack of reaction appeared to agree with me. The plot was dependent on a series of unlikely choices by the female lead - being attracted to this stoner, continuing with the pregnancy, wanting to build a relationship, living with her sister and husband, etc. the writing and casting also let the movie down badly
  20. CarolH.
    Jun 29, 2007
    This was the worse film I've ever seen and I'm discussed that all it contained was a few hundred thousand repeats of the F word along with every other demeaning word attached to the reproductive organs of the body. I went to see a comedy and saw a pitiful example of what the world today thinks is funny. The characters were so low breed that I wonder if they were based on the This was the worse film I've ever seen and I'm discussed that all it contained was a few hundred thousand repeats of the F word along with every other demeaning word attached to the reproductive organs of the body. I went to see a comedy and saw a pitiful example of what the world today thinks is funny. The characters were so low breed that I wonder if they were based on the character of the producers and actors. If so, I'm glad I am not a part of the younger generation. It seems their entire purpose is to talk as filthy as they can and make the human population seem lower based than cockroaches who also feed on filth. Expand
  21. GeoffP.
    Jun 3, 2007
    This movie isn't nearly as clever or funny as most people seem to think it is: the plot is thin and predictable, the jokes are almost always crude and carnal, and the characters are annoying. In one scene, the slobby protaganist worries that his penis is poking the baby while he's having sex with his pregnant girlfriend. Disgusting.
  22. bean!
    Jun 30, 2007
    It's freaking me out people think this film is funny. It's not. The acting is poor, the script is terrible, the characters pat and undeveloped, and the few jokes that were laughable were repeated so often as to become annoying. Not only that, but since when does a woman have to get married if she's pregnant? The movie's premise is just so... disgusting. Very, very bad.
  23. JohnD.
    Jun 5, 2007
    I don't know what the big deal it about this film. I went to it this afternoon and I can probably count on one hand the laughs I heard. It was cute, but too long and melodramatic. The second half was painful to sit through... by the one hour point you are waiting for the movie to end.... quickly.
  24. KingJ.
    Jun 9, 2007
    I went to this because I enjoyed the "40 year old virgin" so much. This is nothing like that on any level. Relentlessly vulgar and cheap. If you are over twenty five, I would recommend staying as far away as possible. Rent 'Ball of Fire' with Barbara Stanwyck and Gary Cooper instead.
  25. CraigS
    Jul 22, 2007
    2 slight giggles is all I got. juvenile humour. unrealistic characters and story. I could have walked out after 10 minutes and saved an hour of my life
  26. DonK
    Jul 23, 2007
    Adolescent humor at its worst. My friend and I both had the same feeling, of wanting to leave in the middle of the movie. Women and men are treated in an unflattering stereotypical manner with the same message of moves made 60 years ago, women will transform men and civilize them, and men are children and unreliable cads and women just do not understand or want to understand men, and men Adolescent humor at its worst. My friend and I both had the same feeling, of wanting to leave in the middle of the movie. Women and men are treated in an unflattering stereotypical manner with the same message of moves made 60 years ago, women will transform men and civilize them, and men are children and unreliable cads and women just do not understand or want to understand men, and men do not know what women want. Old themes handled in a demeaning manner. Expand
  27. ChrisO
    Jul 24, 2007
    Filthy language and druggy ambiance ruin what could have been a cute movie. For the early teenage crowd only -- oops! R-rated so an adult will have to accompany them. Sorry.
  28. JennyS
    Jul 28, 2007
    Katherine Heigl betrays good judgment in accepting this role & betrays all girls in playing house with a loser-stoner who would have left her ass high and dry with her pregnancy. This move is just so pitifully unbelievable with a strong pro-life theme including sonar photos at 4 weeks into gestation. Insulting to the medical community in their apparent "insensitivities" to her Katherine Heigl betrays good judgment in accepting this role & betrays all girls in playing house with a loser-stoner who would have left her ass high and dry with her pregnancy. This move is just so pitifully unbelievable with a strong pro-life theme including sonar photos at 4 weeks into gestation. Insulting to the medical community in their apparent "insensitivities" to her unreasonable needs. Some laughs are worthwhile, but the theme of this movie is hurtful to the realities of society. Expand
  29. ScooterL
    Jul 5, 2007
    I tend to like these kinds of movies more than the critics. Not here. Seemed like the whole thing was recycled, with some bonus cheesy sh-- thrown in. Disappointing.
  30. CarolynW.
    Jul 8, 2007
    Male junior high humor with few redeeming qualities. Totally unbelievable story line, with characters that weren't even likeable. Sorry I wasted the $7.50.

1. Knocked Up feels very NOW. The banter is bruisingly funny, the characters BRILLIANTLY childish, the portrait of our culture's narrowing gap between children and their elders hysterical--in all senses.
    Knocked Up could be one of the summer of 2007's sleeper hits. It certainly deserves the distinction.
    On the surface, Apatow's films are about sex--obsessively, exclusively, and exhaustively. (This one lasts more than two hours.) But that is a clever feint, for their true subject is age.