6.7

Jun 1, 2007
    Tremendous. Off-the-charts.
  2. BCS
    Jun 1, 2007
    Amazing. Hilarious every minute but still sliding seamlessly through the plot, and having a good ratio of seriousness and funny...ness.
  3. BenL.
    Jun 13, 2007
    I laughed so hard my sides hurt. Apatow brings a refreshing burst of realism to comedy.
  4. Debbie
    Jun 13, 2007
    This was terribly disappointing...in addition to using the "F-word" over one hundred times, there were many, many crude references to both the male and female anatomy, including the "C-word". There were graphic sex scenes between the couple, both before and after she becomes pregnant, and mock sex scenes acted out between Ben's four male friends. As for those who say that it's This was terribly disappointing...in addition to using the "F-word" over one hundred times, there were many, many crude references to both the male and female anatomy, including the "C-word". There were graphic sex scenes between the couple, both before and after she becomes pregnant, and mock sex scenes acted out between Ben's four male friends. As for those who say that it's realistic, this would never happen. I can't believe that there would be ONE person in her position that would seek out a drug-addicted, unemployed, foul-mouthed failure to be a father to her child. Expand
  5. Erin
    Jun 15, 2007
    Ok I thought this was hilarious. like 40 year old virgin, but more relaxed/natural flow of humor. every line was funny... i was cramped up from laughing so hard. and for those who were bothered by people smokign pot (oh gee!) or dropping f bombs (gosh!), or having sex (oh my!), um thats why its rated R. get a life.
  6. AnonymousMC
    Jun 17, 2007
    This movie is hilarious - the whole way through I was laughing hysterically, and I'm the kind of girl who usually loves drama and romance. It was a dose of reality with a whole lot of comedy, and the whole theater was laughing throughout the movie! Definetly my new favorite movie!
  7. SusanH.
    Jun 2, 2007
    The worst - I couldn't find anything redeeming about it. It wasn't funny at at all and I found it extremly disgusting.
  8. Doug
    Jun 2, 2007
    The whole premise of the movie is great. Certain scenes were lol funny but they pushed the envelope a bit too much with the drug use and cursing. I too can appreciate the cursing when necessary but when it is in every other line it just seems that the script was lacking in true dialogue and clever humor. the editing was poor and music was forced. overall there was minimal character The whole premise of the movie is great. Certain scenes were lol funny but they pushed the envelope a bit too much with the drug use and cursing. I too can appreciate the cursing when necessary but when it is in every other line it just seems that the script was lacking in true dialogue and clever humor. the editing was poor and music was forced. overall there was minimal character development and unrealistic connections . it does not deserve an 85 rating but there are note worthy scenes. Expand
  9. GregC.
    Jun 2, 2007
    This was an overall terrific movie that couldnt have been made any differnently. Judd Apatow did a great job directing this movie and one thing he does better than any other director is he trusts his actors enough to let them do some improvising. This was easily one of the funniest movies I have ever seen, and for those complaining about the sex jokes, vulgarity, and drug use in the This was an overall terrific movie that couldnt have been made any differnently. Judd Apatow did a great job directing this movie and one thing he does better than any other director is he trusts his actors enough to let them do some improvising. This was easily one of the funniest movies I have ever seen, and for those complaining about the sex jokes, vulgarity, and drug use in the movie, then dont go see it. You can infer from the title and the R rating that it is going to have it in their and if you have seen the 40 year old virgin, than that is another clue. This movie portrays real life relationships very well and how to oppsites can completely attract to eachother. Overall a terrific movie with realism, excilent commedy, good acting, and a TON of laughs!! Expand
  10. CoryP.
    Jun 2, 2007
    As of my review, this movie was rated a 8.9 ? Nothing was original about this movie. Why does our society continue to gravitate towards disgusting humor such as this ? This really could have been a good movie with a great plot. Too sad.
  11. MarcA.
    Jun 20, 2007
    "Oh, snap! The clever stoner's having a baby!" That's the audience reaction aimed for in Knocked Up. There are some brilliant moments (including every second of Kristen Wiig), but the plot is sloppy, unbelievable and completely ignorant of real-world class distinctions. A house full of unemployed stoners -- who somehow have a comfortable, worry-free lifestyle -- intersect the "Oh, snap! The clever stoner's having a baby!" That's the audience reaction aimed for in Knocked Up. There are some brilliant moments (including every second of Kristen Wiig), but the plot is sloppy, unbelievable and completely ignorant of real-world class distinctions. A house full of unemployed stoners -- who somehow have a comfortable, worry-free lifestyle -- intersect the clean, judgmental world of an even richer and more comfortable family, and then they all start spouting glib self-help cliches and quoting their favorite movies. Apatow's dialogue is best in its few moments of dry wit, but too often his characters sound like standups at a party, jabbering on with cynical references to pop culture. If you like that stuff, you'll also enjoy the heavy burden of blatant product placement -- more than in a Superbowl broadcast. Seth Rogen is really funny, but it would be more impressive had his talent been used in service of a greater purpose, rather than just going, "Hey, look how quippy Seth Rogen is!" for two hours. Knocked Up could have worked if it had either gone for broad and crazy, or aimed for an organic, realistic story. It fails largely because it tries clumsily to split the difference. Expand
  12. RobertH.
    Jun 2, 2007
    A very funny and raunchy film, but also honest and heartfelt.
  13. TonyC.
    Jun 24, 2007
    This movie was just not funny and other audience members by their lack of reaction appeared to agree with me. The plot was dependent on a series of unlikely choices by the female lead - being attracted to this stoner, continuing with the pregnancy, wanting to build a relationship, living with her sister and husband, etc. the writing and casting also let the movie down badly
  14. AndrewK.
    Jun 27, 2007
    Hahahaha. Stupid people with your morals. I'm so glad that I'm such an immoral person because it doesn't hurt me to hear someone use a dirty word. For real, why did you even go to this movie? Are you so lacking in perception that you actually thought this was a family film? And why do people think that "Hollywood" is some anthropomorphised entity that creates every film Hahahaha. Stupid people with your morals. I'm so glad that I'm such an immoral person because it doesn't hurt me to hear someone use a dirty word. For real, why did you even go to this movie? Are you so lacking in perception that you actually thought this was a family film? And why do people think that "Hollywood" is some anthropomorphised entity that creates every film that comes out and is somehow a moral barometer for America? See, there are actually many individual and actual human beings who work on movies. It's not this fictional force known as "Hollywood," and they're not out to tear down your morality. And the random Jew basher can go going Mel Gibson. And another thing. There's an actual movie to talk about here. It was great. I personally think 40 Year Old Virgin was better and funnier, but I think this movie is a more well constructed film. It's tighter. It doesn't have constant obvious improvisation. Everyone in it is hilarious. And how bout that random Asian chick? She was so bizarre and hilarious at the same time. Schmaltz? I don't think so. Real emotion and real issues that are important but ought to be taken along with some good humor. Yeah, those moments with the baby crowning were a little shocking, but I like surprises. I wonder how they did that. It looked pretty real. Seth Rogen can totally carry a film. See this movie if you like to laugh and you're not an uptight prude. Oh and also, "Crash" is one of the worst films ever made. Just thought you all might like to know that. Expand
  15. RobJ.
    Jun 29, 2007
    The movie was alright. It had its funny moments. . . I'll admit thats its a great rental, but I wouldn't feel like I'm missing out if I didn't see it in theatres.
  16. GaborA.
    Jun 2, 2007
    Bad editing, boring directing, weak plot development, uneven drama, irrational character actions/reactions, and cheap shots(a GYNO that mistakes the anus for the vagina). However, funny as hell. Apatow never resorts to low brow. Most impressively in an age where it seems every comedy starts with a good hour and crumbles in the last half hour; Knocked Up is consistent for its whole 2+ hour Bad editing, boring directing, weak plot development, uneven drama, irrational character actions/reactions, and cheap shots(a GYNO that mistakes the anus for the vagina). However, funny as hell. Apatow never resorts to low brow. Most impressively in an age where it seems every comedy starts with a good hour and crumbles in the last half hour; Knocked Up is consistent for its whole 2+ hour runtime. That alone is worth seeing this movie. Expand
  17. CarolH.
    Jun 29, 2007
    This was the worse film I've ever seen and I'm discussed that all it contained was a few hundred thousand repeats of the F word along with every other demeaning word attached to the reproductive organs of the body. I went to see a comedy and saw a pitiful example of what the world today thinks is funny. The characters were so low breed that I wonder if they were based on the This was the worse film I've ever seen and I'm discussed that all it contained was a few hundred thousand repeats of the F word along with every other demeaning word attached to the reproductive organs of the body. I went to see a comedy and saw a pitiful example of what the world today thinks is funny. The characters were so low breed that I wonder if they were based on the character of the producers and actors. If so, I'm glad I am not a part of the younger generation. It seems their entire purpose is to talk as filthy as they can and make the human population seem lower based than cockroaches who also feed on filth. Expand
  18. GeoffP.
    Jun 3, 2007
    This movie isn't nearly as clever or funny as most people seem to think it is: the plot is thin and predictable, the jokes are almost always crude and carnal, and the characters are annoying. In one scene, the slobby protaganist worries that his penis is poking the baby while he's having sex with his pregnant girlfriend. Disgusting.
  19. KevinR.
    Jun 3, 2007
    A very funny comedy that reminds us how to make a very intense, life-changing experience into something more.
  20. JackR.
    Jun 3, 2007
    I rarely post on metacritic, but I had to comment on this film. Judd Apatow takes what are the most basic, shallow-minded formulatic hollowood plotlines and somehow infuses them with originality, freshness & emotional depth. The film is screamingly funny with great characters. It reminded of the film Sideways, in that extemely funny things happen on the surface, but it is also a deeply I rarely post on metacritic, but I had to comment on this film. Judd Apatow takes what are the most basic, shallow-minded formulatic hollowood plotlines and somehow infuses them with originality, freshness & emotional depth. The film is screamingly funny with great characters. It reminded of the film Sideways, in that extemely funny things happen on the surface, but it is also a deeply funny film with amusing insights into human nature. Judd Apatow is a true magician. A very impressive movie. Expand
  21. ZakF.
    Jun 3, 2007
    I laughed my ass off threw 90% of the movie, and so did the rest of the PACKED movie theater. Great plot, great B actors, great improv acting, and just outstanding directing. Great to see with friends, and I'll definitely be picking this one up on DVD.
  22. Chuckyo
    Jun 3, 2007
    The movie is a little overrated (it's not as funny as 40-Year-Old Virgin), but it was still well worth the money!
  23. MikeM.
    Jun 3, 2007
    I've never laughed more consistently through a 2hr movie in my life. There were chuckles every 2 minutes and hysterical comedic nuggets through out the film. An awesome look into some of the ramifications the "hook up" culture of Generation X & Y has created for itself. Great comedy, great film. Older people (50+) might not "get it."
  24. RS.
    Jun 3, 2007
    All of the people giving this movie a low score need to lighten up. It was a romantic comedy that was not mean to have some deep plot. I thought it was funny and the actors did a great job. I wish more comedies could be this good. I was laughing out loud - even in places where I was embarresed to be laughing out loud.
  25. GeorgeR.
    Jun 3, 2007
    It was O.K. Its not the "funniest movie ever" as people and reviewers make it out to be. I did laugh and enjoyed the story. Thats it. A lot of hype.
  26. JustinG.
    Jun 3, 2007
    1, 1! Are you serious? There is a reason this movie is one of the best reviewed of the year. If anyone tells you it is bad do not trust anything this person says ever again. They are more then likely on meth and cannot under any circumstances be trusted for advice or child care. Best comedy in years and even better than 40 Year Old Virgin.
  27. bean!
    Jun 30, 2007
    It's freaking me out people think this film is funny. It's not. The acting is poor, the script is terrible, the characters pat and undeveloped, and the few jokes that were laughable were repeated so often as to become annoying. Not only that, but since when does a woman have to get married if she's pregnant? The movie's premise is just so... disgusting. Very, very bad.
  28. JoanG.
    Jun 4, 2007
    It was really great, really, really funny, but not quite as special as 40YOV. For me, this very truthful movie was missing some very important truth at its core. We were given zero reason to believe or understand why Alison would love Ben and actually plan to begin a life with him. (I would say "and visa versa," but Alison is so beautiful, smart, and successful that someone like Ben would It was really great, really, really funny, but not quite as special as 40YOV. For me, this very truthful movie was missing some very important truth at its core. We were given zero reason to believe or understand why Alison would love Ben and actually plan to begin a life with him. (I would say "and visa versa," but Alison is so beautiful, smart, and successful that someone like Ben would simply be stunned that she had anything to do with him at all, and wouldn't care about whether they had anything in common.) It's not that Ben isn't lovable, but the movie never shows you any way that their personalities actually fit together. This is a big difference from Virgin, where one of the beautiful things about the movie was how much sense the relationship made. Moreover, even if Alison's personalty was more compatible with Ben's -- if, for example, we had learned that she had been a bit of a slacker herself before she went into TV and "grew up" -- in real life Alison would be much, much, MUCH more freaked out by Ben's lack of a job or any prospects at all. This is another thing that Virgin did much better -- the Catherine Keener character talks to Steve Carrell bluntly about whether he wants to be a sales clerk all his life, and they come up with a plan that makes perfect sense for him. I think they could have done a couple things to fix this problem in Knocked Up, with a few very tiny changes. For example, after the one-night stand, Alison could have seen Ben as a fun, guilty pleasure, someone who reminded her of her more fun college days -- but someone that she would never take seriously today. And then she finds out that she is pregnant by this lovavble loser, and totally freaks out. On the Ben side, we could have seen some teeny tiny indication that he might have some genuine brains or talent or creativity -- maybe -- and Alison could alternate between hope and despair at his prospects. Almost all the jokes save a couple could stay, and the stuff I'm suggesting would create its own humor, I still love Judd Apatow, but turns out he can't fully see the woman's point of view here. In both relationships in this movie, guys who would still like to remain boys marry women whose primary (only?) characteristics are: (1) They're beautiful and (2) They're all serious and grown-up. The idea that a man and a woman in a relationship should have something fundamental in common (even if they are outwardly very different) does not seem to enter anyone's mind. Oh, well. It was still a hilarous, sweet movie. Expand
    Jun 4, 2007
    I am 23, married, and about to start trying for a baby. This movie hit the nail on the head of this stage in life. It's a little preposterous, but so is life. And I am really grateful for how mature and sensible my husband is after seeing this movie.
  30. AdamA.
    Jun 4, 2007
    Uneven and far from perfect, but far more comic gold than can possibly be counted, and all of it with heart. it wasn't quite as good as the hype, but when I compare to anything of remotely the same genre, there really isn't any comparison. avoid the hype machine, but absolutely positively go sit down and see this movie if it even remotely appeals to you. Highly recommended.

1. Knocked Up feels very NOW. The banter is bruisingly funny, the characters BRILLIANTLY childish, the portrait of our culture's narrowing gap between children and their elders hysterical--in all senses.
    Knocked Up could be one of the summer of 2007's sleeper hits. It certainly deserves the distinction.
    On the surface, Apatow's films are about sex--obsessively, exclusively, and exhaustively. (This one lasts more than two hours.) But that is a clever feint, for their true subject is age.