6.7

1. CharlesM.
    Jun 4, 2007
    Eh.. That's how this struck me. Meh. Not very funny, not especially well acted. Not much to say really, unlike the rabid defenders/detractors. Just kinda OK with shadings towards the stinky side. Seth Rogen certainly cannot carry a leading role, and Paul Rudd was poorly utilized.
  2. ScooterL
    Jul 5, 2007
    I tend to like these kinds of movies more than the critics. Not here. Seemed like the whole thing was recycled, with some bonus cheesy sh-- thrown in. Disappointing.
  3. JamieP.
    Sep 6, 2007
    Very disappointed. It doesn't add up in the slightest. She would have had an abortion in a lightning flash, and quite rightly so too. Casting was dire.Seth Rogan is not attractive, he's not charismatic, he's got nothing about him. He screams 'Supporting Actor' (and not a particularly good one at that). That's not because of physical attributes. Woody Allen Very disappointed. It doesn't add up in the slightest. She would have had an abortion in a lightning flash, and quite rightly so too. Casting was dire.Seth Rogan is not attractive, he's not charismatic, he's got nothing about him. He screams 'Supporting Actor' (and not a particularly good one at that). That's not because of physical attributes. Woody Allen screams 'Leading man', for instance. It's just because it feels like his being funny and drawing people towards him is a surprise to him rather than an expectation. Heigl is wooden and unbelievable. You can almost see her remembering her lines. And far too pretty for a role like this tbh. Film was 30 minutes too long, and even then utterly failed, as someone else pointed out, how these two are supposed to be in love. It was just stupid. That all said, could have been excellent, and much of the film was very funny and acutely observed. They just failed to get the basics right - casting, plot and editing. Expand
  4. TomD.
    Dec 4, 2007
    Some good moments but other moments are funny as long as they involve weed. Take the weed out and this is a boring chik flik. Sorry not impressed.
  5. LarryN.
    Jun 4, 2007
    This was not on my movies to see list, then I read the rave reviews and decided to go. To say the least I was disappointed, what a waste of time. It did have some redeeming value in showing parenthood in a positive light, and the overall story was good, but at the cost of sitting through the gratuitous fowl language, being subjected to some of the worst of Hollywood's stereotypical This was not on my movies to see list, then I read the rave reviews and decided to go. To say the least I was disappointed, what a waste of time. It did have some redeeming value in showing parenthood in a positive light, and the overall story was good, but at the cost of sitting through the gratuitous fowl language, being subjected to some of the worst of Hollywood's stereotypical view of the world, and some of the scenes, what sick mind comes up with this stuff? Expand
  6. NickT.
    Sep 24, 2007
    Not a gross out comedy, not a chick flick, more a slightly amusing soap opera episode stretched out far too long. I just find this "stoner" comedy genre tiresome. It really is too long for the content and the actors in it not up to carrying the light plot.
  7. hc
    Oct 11, 2007
    I agree with a lot of the points the LA Times reviewer Carina Chocano brought up--which is probably a failure on Metacritic's site for rating her review a 70, when it doesn't really match the tone or criticism of her piece (seems closer to a 50). This film's female lead feels thrown in, as if at the last moment Heigl demanded a bigger part. It almost felt misogynist (or I agree with a lot of the points the LA Times reviewer Carina Chocano brought up--which is probably a failure on Metacritic's site for rating her review a 70, when it doesn't really match the tone or criticism of her piece (seems closer to a 50). This film's female lead feels thrown in, as if at the last moment Heigl demanded a bigger part. It almost felt misogynist (or ignorance in writing women)-- I don't know. But having a film about getting some prego really requires you know, a woman. And I think Aptow is pretty bad at writing women. And as some other reviewers pointed out there wasn't a real emotional core to this film---and if you had to try, it would be the sister and her husband. Also, though some of the jokes were funny--- at the same time, the context felt contrived---as if Aptow had great jokes for a certain context, but how to actually craft that context in a real plot-line wasn't really important. In other words, a bit comedy writer who writes skits, but not whole stories. I really liked The 40 year old virgin, but this just didn't work at all for me. Expand
  8. Laura
    May 31, 2007
    Realistic dialog among guys was excellent. Same w/ dialog between spouses or significant others. HOWEVER. Lots of drug use, lots of very foul language and explicit scenes that I got tired of or uncomfortable with or just bored with. Bottom line: some very funny stuff, some over the top-too much drug and F--word stuff. If you are 17-24 Male-you'll will love it.
  9. Dec 9, 2011
    Far too long imo and it could have been a lot shorter. Also it wasnt that funny and actually a bit depressing at times. The acting was below average and I expected far better. It just wasnt that good, Very overrated.
  10. MarcA.
    Jun 20, 2007
    "Oh, snap! The clever stoner's having a baby!" That's the audience reaction aimed for in Knocked Up. There are some brilliant moments (including every second of Kristen Wiig), but the plot is sloppy, unbelievable and completely ignorant of real-world class distinctions. A house full of unemployed stoners -- who somehow have a comfortable, worry-free lifestyle -- intersect the "Oh, snap! The clever stoner's having a baby!" That's the audience reaction aimed for in Knocked Up. There are some brilliant moments (including every second of Kristen Wiig), but the plot is sloppy, unbelievable and completely ignorant of real-world class distinctions. A house full of unemployed stoners -- who somehow have a comfortable, worry-free lifestyle -- intersect the clean, judgmental world of an even richer and more comfortable family, and then they all start spouting glib self-help cliches and quoting their favorite movies. Apatow's dialogue is best in its few moments of dry wit, but too often his characters sound like standups at a party, jabbering on with cynical references to pop culture. If you like that stuff, you'll also enjoy the heavy burden of blatant product placement -- more than in a Superbowl broadcast. Seth Rogen is really funny, but it would be more impressive had his talent been used in service of a greater purpose, rather than just going, "Hey, look how quippy Seth Rogen is!" for two hours. Knocked Up could have worked if it had either gone for broad and crazy, or aimed for an organic, realistic story. It fails largely because it tries clumsily to split the difference. Expand
  11. TonyC.
    Jun 24, 2007
    This movie was just not funny and other audience members by their lack of reaction appeared to agree with me. The plot was dependent on a series of unlikely choices by the female lead - being attracted to this stoner, continuing with the pregnancy, wanting to build a relationship, living with her sister and husband, etc. the writing and casting also let the movie down badly
  12. JohnD.
    Jun 5, 2007
    I don't know what the big deal it about this film. I went to it this afternoon and I can probably count on one hand the laughs I heard. It was cute, but too long and melodramatic. The second half was painful to sit through... by the one hour point you are waiting for the movie to end.... quickly.
  13. MikeY
    Sep 26, 2007
    don't get it...it's like the "Beck" or "White Stripes" phenomenon...where your supposed to like them and say how brilliant they are, and everybody follows suit - like sheep...but in reality it's just not good at all.
  14. FabienL'amour
    Sep 30, 2007
    can't believe people find this film original... the acting sucks so bad.
  15. JadeB
    Feb 15, 2008
    Its infuriatingly bad! I'm a big fan of 40 Year Old Virgin & Superbad so I guess I was really disappointed in this movie. The comedy is pretty good to OK but its the underlying story and drama that are just really senseless and weak. A highly successful 20 something buxom, blond hottie has a drunken 1 night stand with some nice, funny, unemployed, chubby, stoner... she gets pregnant Its infuriatingly bad! I'm a big fan of 40 Year Old Virgin & Superbad so I guess I was really disappointed in this movie. The comedy is pretty good to OK but its the underlying story and drama that are just really senseless and weak. A highly successful 20 something buxom, blond hottie has a drunken 1 night stand with some nice, funny, unemployed, chubby, stoner... she gets pregnant and of course decides to keep the baby and risk her blossoming career AND! and have it with the chubby unemployed stoner whose also an illegal alien from Canada. I'm ok with this to a degree I mean Anchorman & Old School aren't exactly Pride & Prejudice. But Knocked Up isn't content to be a wacky over the top satire, nope it tries to be the poignant 'life lesson' movie. It isn't even a chick flick. Women are portrayed to be irrational crazed assholes and men soulless & gutless bumblers. In short the movie doesn't have any real heart, not enough to get married and have a kid together IMO. Expand
  16. SteveC
    Dec 29, 2007
    Utterly and unforgivably dire. The script wasn't funny, the characters were one dimensional and unconvincing. Haven't seen a film this bad for ages.
  17. FelixK.
    Oct 27, 2007
    This could have been a lot funnier !!!
  18. chrisj
    Oct 27, 2007
    Surprisingly bad. Some good lines but not worth the investment. Stay away from the directors cut as it's too bloated.
  19. MartinR.
    Oct 4, 2007
    Unoriginal, boring, overrated, full of cliche, overall waste of time and energy. It is a sad statement about current state of mainstream comedy and its reviewers.
  20. GH
    Jun 13, 2007
    You failed to mention that every other word was the F word! Even my husband was sick of hearing it. We saw 3 ladies get up and leave. It would have been a really good show had it not been for that!
  21. jedc
    Sep 26, 2007
    Two HOURS AND TEN MINUTES????? Are they kidding? Where are all these "laughs" I kept reading about? I love stupid comedy (Animal House, etc) but come on. Are stupidly snobby stoners really so fresh and funny anymore? It's a bore and been done to DEATH! And the plot makes literally NO sense. Why is she having this baby? What would this girl EVER see in this loser other than possibly a Two HOURS AND TEN MINUTES????? Are they kidding? Where are all these "laughs" I kept reading about? I love stupid comedy (Animal House, etc) but come on. Are stupidly snobby stoners really so fresh and funny anymore? It's a bore and been done to DEATH! And the plot makes literally NO sense. Why is she having this baby? What would this girl EVER see in this loser other than possibly a casual frienship at best? What the hell are all thse critics talking about??????? This is "a realistic depiction of life today" as one critic said? Oh come on. And I could forgive everything if it were actually funny, but it isn't. AND TWO HOURS AND TEN MINUTES?!!!!!! Expand
  22. Jane
    Jun 24, 2009
    I'm shocked that this movie got such great reviews from the critics. How much were the critics paid off?! This is a disgusting tasteless movie.
  23. Jan 18, 2011
    I guess you need to enjoy stoner humor to find any Apatow film funny. I just don't enjoy his work, it seems that all he really cares about is glorifying drugs (yes pot is a drug don't kid yourself). The truth is the only laughs he can conjure up are based off of some baked character who laughs at anything someone says. Rogen has some talent but he needs to separate himself from anythingI guess you need to enjoy stoner humor to find any Apatow film funny. I just don't enjoy his work, it seems that all he really cares about is glorifying drugs (yes pot is a drug don't kid yourself). The truth is the only laughs he can conjure up are based off of some baked character who laughs at anything someone says. Rogen has some talent but he needs to separate himself from anything Apatow and focus in on some real comedy rather than his stoner roles. I am just not seeing peoples fascination with Apatow I have yet to see a movie of his that was quality and Knocked Up just continues the trend of unfunny writing that is just used to glorify pot. Expand
  24. Feb 6, 2011
    This movie is a corny chick-flick. There's no dark humor in it at all. If that's what you're into, have a blast. If not, then try "Observe and Report," or "Pineapple Express."
  25. Aug 24, 2014
    I'm waiting for when Seth Rogen will grow out of the stoner comedy phase of his career... I think he might actually be talented. For now, I just don't quite get it.
  26. JimmyK.
    Aug 13, 2008
    This movie is a complete rip-off of a book that came out 6 months before. Plagiarism at its best!
  27. KimL.
    Oct 8, 2007
    What?? This movie was awful. Stupid, not funny, not touching, you don't feel anything except apathy at any of the (shallow) stupid characters. How did this move get such a high rating from critics and viewers alike?
  28. CoryP.
    Jun 2, 2007
    As of my review, this movie was rated a 8.9 ? Nothing was original about this movie. Why does our society continue to gravitate towards disgusting humor such as this ? This really could have been a good movie with a great plot. Too sad.
  29. GeoffP.
    Jun 3, 2007
    This movie isn't nearly as clever or funny as most people seem to think it is: the plot is thin and predictable, the jokes are almost always crude and carnal, and the characters are annoying. In one scene, the slobby protaganist worries that his penis is poking the baby while he's having sex with his pregnant girlfriend. Disgusting.
  30. ChrisO
    Jul 24, 2007
    Filthy language and druggy ambiance ruin what could have been a cute movie. For the early teenage crowd only -- oops! R-rated so an adult will have to accompany them. Sorry.
  31. JennyS
    Jul 28, 2007
    Katherine Heigl betrays good judgment in accepting this role & betrays all girls in playing house with a loser-stoner who would have left her ass high and dry with her pregnancy. This move is just so pitifully unbelievable with a strong pro-life theme including sonar photos at 4 weeks into gestation. Insulting to the medical community in their apparent "insensitivities" to her Katherine Heigl betrays good judgment in accepting this role & betrays all girls in playing house with a loser-stoner who would have left her ass high and dry with her pregnancy. This move is just so pitifully unbelievable with a strong pro-life theme including sonar photos at 4 weeks into gestation. Insulting to the medical community in their apparent "insensitivities" to her unreasonable needs. Some laughs are worthwhile, but the theme of this movie is hurtful to the realities of society. Expand
  32. CarolynW.
    Jul 8, 2007
    Male junior high humor with few redeeming qualities. Totally unbelievable story line, with characters that weren't even likeable. Sorry I wasted the $7.50.
  33. Larry
    Jul 9, 2007
    I agree with Carolyn W--"Male junior high humor with few redeeming qualities. Totally unbelievable story line, with characters that weren't even likable." What a waste of time and money.
  34. JackM.
    Oct 25, 2007
    A few laughs, with Seth Rogan a welcome presence, but ultimately it was predictable, boring in spots, and sentimental. 40 Year Old Virgin was great. This is most certainly not.
  35. GeorgeF
    Oct 29, 2007
    Teeeeeedious! Come on fellas, if you look like that, act like that, you ain't getting that. Only a dork holding out desperate hope would call this touching or plausible. Hollywood is striking fast while Rogen's t 40 Year Old Virgin performance remains current in peopleâ??s memories. Save your money. Truly lame.
  36. LindaL.
    Oct 7, 2007
    I'm really puzzled by the raves over this movie -- they must come from the same folks who think "Two and a Half Men" is brilliant, classic TV comedy. I've enjoyed films like "The Royal Tenenbaums" and "The 40-Year-Old Virgin," and I enjoyed some of this flick's pop culture references. But it made me laugh out loud only once. Everyone's selfish and stupid, till the I'm really puzzled by the raves over this movie -- they must come from the same folks who think "Two and a Half Men" is brilliant, classic TV comedy. I've enjoyed films like "The Royal Tenenbaums" and "The 40-Year-Old Virgin," and I enjoyed some of this flick's pop culture references. But it made me laugh out loud only once. Everyone's selfish and stupid, till the sappy ending. And the string of cliches -- house full of wacky losers, grueling birth scene, doe-eyed-blonde goes for the funny guy -- are ones we've all seen before. Dumbest of all is the theme: You can have careless sex with a stranger, make a baby, and it's all gonna Work Out Fine! Riiiiiiight. Expand
  37. DougR.
    Jul 17, 2007
    We must have seen a different movie than the critics. No one other than 15-25 year olds should be allowed in. Tasteless language, ridiculous story, unlikable characters. I had to take my wife to see "The Waitress" to make up for this clunker ! Had a few good laughs but that was it.
  38. NatashaS
    Jul 23, 2007
    Utterly unrealistic (really, Katherine Heigl would actually end up with that chucklehead?!) Fans of this movie are mistaking crassness for profundity---not that crassness can't make a profound statement (see Chasing Amy)---but it simply didn't work for Heigl, who ended up stooping to what-his-name's level.
  39. MayaB.
    Sep 10, 2007
    So disappointing after the inspired and imaginative 40 year Old Virgin. Nothing but sitcom cliches and old jokes sold by the critics as real side slappers. All men are idiots and all women nag about everything and that is supposed to be hilarious. The cast is appealing, but there is no character depth. What are Ben and Allison so matter of fact about the baby? Do they secretly long for a So disappointing after the inspired and imaginative 40 year Old Virgin. Nothing but sitcom cliches and old jokes sold by the critics as real side slappers. All men are idiots and all women nag about everything and that is supposed to be hilarious. The cast is appealing, but there is no character depth. What are Ben and Allison so matter of fact about the baby? Do they secretly long for a family? They aren`t religious but still feel abortion is morally wrong? Are they lonely, bored, content or what, when they are not looking cute and/or making fools of themselves for our so called enjoyment? Like New Order said, I think there is no way of knowing... Expand
  40. Shish
    Jan 22, 2008
    I wanted to like this movie, but I didn't--just a few laughs here and there. I felt the same way about Wedding Crashers (and Atonement, but a completely different genre there...). No heart combined with a ridiculous premise. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't see that the smart Katherine Heigl character that they sold us would a) sleep with Seth Rogan's character, I wanted to like this movie, but I didn't--just a few laughs here and there. I felt the same way about Wedding Crashers (and Atonement, but a completely different genre there...). No heart combined with a ridiculous premise. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't see that the smart Katherine Heigl character that they sold us would a) sleep with Seth Rogan's character, no matter how drunk she was, and b) go on to actually make nice with him. She must've been an idiot after all. And, I must've been too, as I sat and watched the thing for the whole two + hours waiting for the obvious conclusion. Expand
  41. NickK.
    Mar 28, 2008
    Utterly, utterly unbelievable. Why does this woman decide to have a baby with a guy who she clearly despises? And why does her decision to keep the child mean she has to start dating the father, who she previously (and accurately) wrote off as an ambition-less stoner with no social graces? We are given no basis for their relationship - they have nothing in common and she clearly finds Utterly, utterly unbelievable. Why does this woman decide to have a baby with a guy who she clearly despises? And why does her decision to keep the child mean she has to start dating the father, who she previously (and accurately) wrote off as an ambition-less stoner with no social graces? We are given no basis for their relationship - they have nothing in common and she clearly finds even his speech repulsive - they're just suddenly in love. It's absolute rubbish and the critics are falling over each other to praise it's modernity, presumably because it's not a traditional hollywood romcom. Just because they mention google doesn't make this the f**king 'zeitgeist'! Expand
  42. Mary
    Nov 2, 2007
    Critics were way off on this stupid movie. Not worth the money - not funny.
  43. mikeg
    Oct 17, 2007
    I'm pro-life and this movie was not funded by pro-lifers John R. First of all, we all know that E news reporters are liberal and abortion is their birthright. Pro-lifers don't endorse one night stands, lack of condom use, and irresponsibility. A father that doesn't own anything, smokes pot and doesn't have a job will end up in jail or on child support. John R, I think I'm pro-life and this movie was not funded by pro-lifers John R. First of all, we all know that E news reporters are liberal and abortion is their birthright. Pro-lifers don't endorse one night stands, lack of condom use, and irresponsibility. A father that doesn't own anything, smokes pot and doesn't have a job will end up in jail or on child support. John R, I think that the 'Drug Warriors' funded this movie. and if anyone laughs at this review, that's more than I got out of the whole movie Expand
  44. VeronicaM.
    Jun 19, 2008
    I can't even fathom why this movie is getting such critical acclaim. Seriously, I feel like I'm in Bizarro world. What an overrated piece of crap.
  45. JoelX
    Oct 26, 2007
    A couple of laughs - at most. The male character is so boorish and irresponsible it is hard to believe any self-respecting woman would go to bed with him no matter how drunk she was. There were plenty of opportrunities for humor, but not with these characters or this script.
  46. DotF.
    Oct 6, 2007
    There are a couple of genuine laughs but mostly it's a boring 2-hour celebration of drugs, profanity, selfishness and stupidity. I really felt ripped off. I'm mystified by all the praise this overrated movie receives.
  47. SusanH.
    Jun 2, 2007
    The worst - I couldn't find anything redeeming about it. It wasn't funny at at all and I found it extremly disgusting.
  48. KingJ.
    Jun 9, 2007
    I went to this because I enjoyed the "40 year old virgin" so much. This is nothing like that on any level. Relentlessly vulgar and cheap. If you are over twenty five, I would recommend staying as far away as possible. Rent 'Ball of Fire' with Barbara Stanwyck and Gary Cooper instead.
  49. CraigS
    Jul 22, 2007
    2 slight giggles is all I got. juvenile humour. unrealistic characters and story. I could have walked out after 10 minutes and saved an hour of my life
  50. DonK
    Jul 23, 2007
    Adolescent humor at its worst. My friend and I both had the same feeling, of wanting to leave in the middle of the movie. Women and men are treated in an unflattering stereotypical manner with the same message of moves made 60 years ago, women will transform men and civilize them, and men are children and unreliable cads and women just do not understand or want to understand men, and men Adolescent humor at its worst. My friend and I both had the same feeling, of wanting to leave in the middle of the movie. Women and men are treated in an unflattering stereotypical manner with the same message of moves made 60 years ago, women will transform men and civilize them, and men are children and unreliable cads and women just do not understand or want to understand men, and men do not know what women want. Old themes handled in a demeaning manner. Expand
  51. BradleyB
    Aug 26, 2007
    Wow, this was a really poorly done movie. I am bewildered by the strong "critic" reviews. There were a handful of laugh-out-loud moments in this movie, which gets it a 1. In between, there was horrible dialog, a plot that made no sense, scenes dragging on forever, characters suddenly angrily screaming for no reason...it was a really oddly written film. This is the type of poorly written Wow, this was a really poorly done movie. I am bewildered by the strong "critic" reviews. There were a handful of laugh-out-loud moments in this movie, which gets it a 1. In between, there was horrible dialog, a plot that made no sense, scenes dragging on forever, characters suddenly angrily screaming for no reason...it was a really oddly written film. This is the type of poorly written crap that critics give perfect scores to? Yikes. Expand
  52. JudyL.
    Oct 4, 2008
    It is totally without any credibility that this smart and beautiful woman would fall in love with the charmless slob played by Seth Rogen. This is a male fantasy movie. He does NOTHING to win her, to justify that she would fall in love with him. The film does not even address the issue as to why she would even have the baby. The only good thing about the film was that at least the It is totally without any credibility that this smart and beautiful woman would fall in love with the charmless slob played by Seth Rogen. This is a male fantasy movie. He does NOTHING to win her, to justify that she would fall in love with him. The film does not even address the issue as to why she would even have the baby. The only good thing about the film was that at least the annoying boy-man grew up - though she still had to say that he was OK as he was. No, he wasn't! He and his mates were repulsive. Expand
  53. Tricia
    Jun 11, 2007
    Yes, this movie has some very funny parts but what is wrong with Hollywood that they think they need to add the "F" word in every sentence. Were you not listening to how many times they said "F". It added nothing to the story line. Sorry I wasted my hard earn money to hear "F" "F" 'F" .
  54. DanaM.
    Jun 3, 2007
    I don't walk out of movies too often but this one was a stinker. Absolutely stupid story of this gorgeous woman getting pregnant by a big-time loser, and the rest of the story just adds to how much of a loser this guy really is. Immature drug and sex jokes were just oo much. If you're not a senior in high school don't bother seeing this movie. Save yourself your ten bucks I don't walk out of movies too often but this one was a stinker. Absolutely stupid story of this gorgeous woman getting pregnant by a big-time loser, and the rest of the story just adds to how much of a loser this guy really is. Immature drug and sex jokes were just oo much. If you're not a senior in high school don't bother seeing this movie. Save yourself your ten bucks and see Waitress or something more entertaining. Shame on these reviewers for giving this movie a 10. So much for trusting the reviews from Metacritic. [Ed: Metacritic reviews movies?? huh...] Expand
  55. PeggyR
    Jun 6, 2007
    We found the characters and the dialog crude and uninteresting. The movie was a walkout for us.
  56. BenJ.
    Jun 7, 2007
    A couple of laughs for me and my friend, but overall, we just wanted it to end. Much of the conversations were unnatural and 'preachy' which made the story itself unbelievable, wasn't like a window on anyones world. Might've just been us though, as plenty others in the audience were laughing enthusiastically throughout.
  57. Alex
    Feb 10, 2008
    That was crap worst movie of the year. I would pay good money to block it from the public's eyes.
  58. DanO
    Aug 13, 2008
    A perfect example why you should never trust critics' reviews of 'comedies'. After painstakingly reaching the end of this film, I had to double-check the category to confirm that it was, in fact listed as a comedy. I don't recall a single moment that I came close to laughing. It was that dull. It has a mildly amusing premise and a whole lot of annoying and unfunny A perfect example why you should never trust critics' reviews of 'comedies'. After painstakingly reaching the end of this film, I had to double-check the category to confirm that it was, in fact listed as a comedy. I don't recall a single moment that I came close to laughing. It was that dull. It has a mildly amusing premise and a whole lot of annoying and unfunny banter. That's it. It has been a long time since I've seen a 'comedy' this bad. Avoid at all cost. Expand
  59. RobertL.
    Sep 15, 2008
    A complete waste of time. I hadn't realized it was a comedy until I read the reviews. I would have shut it off if it weren't for my girlfriend.
  60. Yvette
    Oct 12, 2007
    I am so glad to see that other ppl that did not see the humor of this movie. Both my husband and I sat through over 2 hours of couples screaming at each other at the top of their lungs, super loser weedheads, lines that make you smile not laugh and overall unrealistic scenarios ie wife throws husband out because he was caught playing 'fantasy baseball'.. r u kidding? Also how I am so glad to see that other ppl that did not see the humor of this movie. Both my husband and I sat through over 2 hours of couples screaming at each other at the top of their lungs, super loser weedheads, lines that make you smile not laugh and overall unrealistic scenarios ie wife throws husband out because he was caught playing 'fantasy baseball'.. r u kidding? Also how realistic is an on screen TV personality giving an unemployed, quasi-porn site producer, who, during an earthquake, grabbed a bong and ran out ahead of her, a true chance to be with her? Anyway, all the raving reviews this movie is getting makes no sense, unless you like to watch a fanciful movie about ppl who argue alot. King of Queens arguing is clever, this movie is an overwhelming bore. p.s. the editor needs to be fired! Perhaps the movie could have been saved had some of the scenes been slimmed down. Expand
  61. SharonM.
    Aug 26, 2007
    One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Certainly the most disgusting. Katherine degrades herself beyond belief...why does she need to go so low? One would think that the beautiful successful woman she plays would use some discretion before even talking to, much less copulating with a slovenly, jobless, drinking drug addict. But the characters in this film use as much brain power and One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Certainly the most disgusting. Katherine degrades herself beyond belief...why does she need to go so low? One would think that the beautiful successful woman she plays would use some discretion before even talking to, much less copulating with a slovenly, jobless, drinking drug addict. But the characters in this film use as much brain power and moral judgment as the alley cats they emulate. I give it a 1 for acting, although there wasn't much dialog to remember as most sentences started and ended with F... . I guess the movie critics see it as a morality film because the slob 'supported" her through the pregnancy as he continued drinking and drugging in his Animal House life. So this is an "A" movie ; the film critics must be stoned out of their minds ! Expand
  62. RighteousBrother
    Jan 27, 2008
    Right-wing pro-life propaganda crap, wrapped up as "comedy". So unfunny, fake, and boring! And it's an insult to reason and and taste.
  63. GerhardL.
    Mar 28, 2008
    The relationship between the two lead characters is simply not credible and the woman's inexplicable decision to not only have the baby, but to do so together with a man with whom she is completely incompatible, patronises the audience in the worst possible way. The third act collapses into sentimentality, which can be seen a mile off and detracts from the few laughs this movie The relationship between the two lead characters is simply not credible and the woman's inexplicable decision to not only have the baby, but to do so together with a man with whom she is completely incompatible, patronises the audience in the worst possible way. The third act collapses into sentimentality, which can be seen a mile off and detracts from the few laughs this movie offers to begin with. At the end, the question that begs asking is: Why does an intelligent and successful woman choose to be with a moronic bum over say, abortion? Because she'd be lost and frightened without a man's help, of course. Great message for the girls - keep 'em coming, boys. In short, it's not big and it's not clever. Collapse
  64. MikeS.
    Jan 25, 2009
    Most overrated movie in the past 10 years. Corny conservatism masquerading as corny pot head humor. People say they like it because they "identify" with the characters -- If that's true, the country, if not the world, is doomed. The whole film was basically a pro life, family values, sexist piece of garbage. I would let that go if the jokes were funny, but they weren't. Every Most overrated movie in the past 10 years. Corny conservatism masquerading as corny pot head humor. People say they like it because they "identify" with the characters -- If that's true, the country, if not the world, is doomed. The whole film was basically a pro life, family values, sexist piece of garbage. I would let that go if the jokes were funny, but they weren't. Every single one had long been exhausted since my middle school days. And while the slacked themes were supposed to seem rebellious, they weren't ( I only say "supposed," because so many critics have lauded them as such). Pot is not edgy, nor is a website that shows boobs. Why not make the main character a heroine addict, but still funny? Why not have him and his mates make a hardcore porno site, but still be funny? Lame. Expand
  65. Mar 3, 2012
    Oh joy... Seth Rogen playing yet another unappealing, pot-headed loser. What a huge leap for him. The worst blow to the audiences' collective intelligence comes in the joke of the third act when beautiful, clean-cut Katherine Heigl ends up falling for this offensive monkey-turd of a human being because the writers were too scared to do something bold. Completely fake bullcrap.
  66. JonathanJ
    May 7, 2009
    It starts with a montage and only gets worse. The only real joke is people are actually paying to see this crap.
  67. EDO
    Oct 15, 2007
    Horrible movie.Worst I've ever seen. I can't believe anyone would think this is funny.
  68. fichot
    Oct 15, 2007
    One of the worst comedies of all times. Way too long. No LOL's, just a few shy laughs. Extra-boring.
  69. DiscoS.
    Dec 3, 2007
    What a godawful movie! Knocked up tries to balance humour with sentimentality and fails on both accounts. This is such a typical P.C. hollywood movie - all the kiddies swearing left, right and centre (draining any power that a well-placed invective may have potentially had), an underlying message about how sinful abortion is and how bad men are, and of course, even though there is the odd What a godawful movie! Knocked up tries to balance humour with sentimentality and fails on both accounts. This is such a typical P.C. hollywood movie - all the kiddies swearing left, right and centre (draining any power that a well-placed invective may have potentially had), an underlying message about how sinful abortion is and how bad men are, and of course, even though there is the odd boob or two flashed by some of the extras, during two sex scenes do you think the leading lady shows her boobies? Oh no - she's too virtuous for that - her bra stays firmly in place throughout. How coy!!! Just one example of how aggravatingly politically correct and completely insincere this movie is. Nothing new - except maybe the "crowning" during delivery, but any potential laughs there were squashed by the absolutely abysmal acting. Not one character tells it like it is, NOT ONCE! Completely insincere, predictable responses the whole way through. Given the potential in the story's premise, this movie was a HUGE disappointment. A total waste of time and money - worst movie of the year, easily. Expand
  70. badmovie
    Oct 28, 2007
    This movie isn't superbad, but it's super bad.
  71. Debbie
    Jun 13, 2007
    This was terribly disappointing...in addition to using the "F-word" over one hundred times, there were many, many crude references to both the male and female anatomy, including the "C-word". There were graphic sex scenes between the couple, both before and after she becomes pregnant, and mock sex scenes acted out between Ben's four male friends. As for those who say that it's This was terribly disappointing...in addition to using the "F-word" over one hundred times, there were many, many crude references to both the male and female anatomy, including the "C-word". There were graphic sex scenes between the couple, both before and after she becomes pregnant, and mock sex scenes acted out between Ben's four male friends. As for those who say that it's realistic, this would never happen. I can't believe that there would be ONE person in her position that would seek out a drug-addicted, unemployed, foul-mouthed failure to be a father to her child. Expand
  72. CarolH.
    Jun 29, 2007
    This was the worse film I've ever seen and I'm discussed that all it contained was a few hundred thousand repeats of the F word along with every other demeaning word attached to the reproductive organs of the body. I went to see a comedy and saw a pitiful example of what the world today thinks is funny. The characters were so low breed that I wonder if they were based on the This was the worse film I've ever seen and I'm discussed that all it contained was a few hundred thousand repeats of the F word along with every other demeaning word attached to the reproductive organs of the body. I went to see a comedy and saw a pitiful example of what the world today thinks is funny. The characters were so low breed that I wonder if they were based on the character of the producers and actors. If so, I'm glad I am not a part of the younger generation. It seems their entire purpose is to talk as filthy as they can and make the human population seem lower based than cockroaches who also feed on filth. Expand
  73. bean!
    Jun 30, 2007
    It's freaking me out people think this film is funny. It's not. The acting is poor, the script is terrible, the characters pat and undeveloped, and the few jokes that were laughable were repeated so often as to become annoying. Not only that, but since when does a woman have to get married if she's pregnant? The movie's premise is just so... disgusting. Very, very bad.
  74. AndyK.
    Mar 31, 2008
    most disgusting movie I have ever seen. Complete junk and should havenever been made. Advocates disrespect for humanity and completely lacks a hint of dignity.
  75. jasonH.
    Nov 10, 2007
    It's a bad film, with flat characters, unbelievable situations, and a little too much faint Jew praise
  76. andy
    Oct 22, 2007
    40 yr old virgin it is NOT. After 20 minutes we were done. How can the press reviews be that good for this piece of crap?
  77. Ray
    Oct 23, 2007
    Improv doesn't always mean entertaining. Not funny at all. I rented it and stopped it almost at the end, realizing that it was never going to get better.
  78. Mike
    Oct 8, 2007
    Boring, not funny, predictable avoid this movie! and don't count on the critics because they were way off on this one!
  79. ToniT.
    Jun 16, 2007
    If any of you males out there that liked this movie ever think that you're going to impress a women with your taste....FORGET IT....Don't know of one single female that found any humor in this (and I am talking about fun, fun, classy, intelligent women who are also open-minded).
  80. Isaac
    Jun 2, 2007
    Honestly, this was one of the most awful movies that I've bothered to sit all the way through. The maybe 10 minutes of funny jokes didn't in any way make up for the remaining 119 minutes of the movie, which was full of sentimental crap and completely pointless plot diversions.
  81. JamesD.
    Jun 6, 2007
    no doubt one of the worst I've ever seen too many f words and nasty talk if this show appeals to you your at the bottom of morals.
  82. RandyL
    Jun 9, 2007
    Absolutely dreadful. I counted 2 minor laughs from the audience the whole miserable way through. A four hour walk around your living room. James Berardinelli, somebody paid you off for giving this movie an 88. I will never trust you again. So if the movie doesn't have a big name actor that can read a script I will not donate my time and loot to the Hollywood Jewish motion picture Absolutely dreadful. I counted 2 minor laughs from the audience the whole miserable way through. A four hour walk around your living room. James Berardinelli, somebody paid you off for giving this movie an 88. I will never trust you again. So if the movie doesn't have a big name actor that can read a script I will not donate my time and loot to the Hollywood Jewish motion picture industry again. Dreadful. Expand
  83. Beth
    Jul 9, 2007
    One of the worst movies I've ever seen. I loved "40 Year Old Virgin" and thought this would be similar. But the jokes weren't funny, the main characters were boring and the premise (that a beautiful, successful young woman would lust after an ugly loser) made no sense. The only good part of the movie was Paul Rudd - he and the woman who played his wife were very funny. But One of the worst movies I've ever seen. I loved "40 Year Old Virgin" and thought this would be similar. But the jokes weren't funny, the main characters were boring and the premise (that a beautiful, successful young woman would lust after an ugly loser) made no sense. The only good part of the movie was Paul Rudd - he and the woman who played his wife were very funny. But overall, the movie was really awful. Expand
  84. jg
    Aug 13, 2007
    This was by far the worst movie I have ever seen. You could not pay me enough money to watch it again. Poor choice for Katherine Heigl, but then again, she's always blubbering and sobbing on Grey's Anatomy--so this wasn't much of a step down for her. I couldn't even force myself to laugh.
  85. carinbaird
    Nov 23, 2007
    wow. this is among the worst movies i have ever seen. hey new york times, the onion, and other people giving apatow a ratings blowjob....did we even watch the same thing? it's depressing that people find this funny. truly makes me sad to be a human being. beyond that, i am choking on the gooey family values messages shoved down my throat. it's really nice that youngwow. this is among the worst movies i have ever seen. hey new york times, the onion, and other people giving apatow a ratings blowjob....did we even watch the same thing? it's depressing that people find this funny. truly makes me sad to be a human being. beyond that, i am choking on the gooey family values messages shoved down my throat. it's really nice that young impressionable girls can see this film and discover that if they do accidentally not use mr. jimmy hat, then no worries! odd couple will fall in love and everyone will support each other. baby and mother will be fine! abortion? who needs it!
    oh and congratulations apatow-you're a brilliant person. it takes a lot to fill a movie with weak and time-sensitive pop culture references that EVERYONE will get (well, right now.) at least you know your audience. unfortunately, i decided to be part of that for nearly two hours that i want back, NOW!
  86. MaryJ.
    Oct 19, 2007
    The only laughs we got from this movie were reading the critic's rave reviews after we saw it. It was a dreadful movie. None of the characters were likable, believable, or anything but painful to watch.
  87. BjJ.
    Jun 11, 2007
    Disgusting movie. A few funny lines, but a total waste of time and money. Why would someone as talented and beautiful as Katherine Heigl want to be associated with something so low-class??? That, I could not understand. Can Hollywood not be any more creative with language than to have to use the F-word for practically every other word in the script. Must be scraping writers from the Disgusting movie. A few funny lines, but a total waste of time and money. Why would someone as talented and beautiful as Katherine Heigl want to be associated with something so low-class??? That, I could not understand. Can Hollywood not be any more creative with language than to have to use the F-word for practically every other word in the script. Must be scraping writers from the bottom of the barrel. Expand
  88. ChrisS.
    Jun 12, 2007
    Waste of time, makes me want to stop watching movies for awhile. I will be more cautious about trusting the metacritic rating system in the future!
  89. CarterC.
    Jun 16, 2007
    The scum of all movies...PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MIND, YOUR EMOTIONS, YOUR SOUL, YOUR TIME OR YOUR MONEY....UTTERLY DEPLORABLE!!
  90. LaurenceM.
    Jun 18, 2007
    Repulsive and mindless. If you want to watch unbathed male lower primates wallow in shit this is the movie for you! I can only describe the first half. Went home and took a shower.
  91. MitchM.
    Jun 18, 2007
    When you consider the rating given to this movie, you realize how low this country values have fallen. The story is not believable for a moment, the characters shallow, the language appalling, there is no redeeming value in this production.
  92. CathyL.
    Jun 24, 2007
    A very crude movie at times bordering on pornographic. Bad character development - the major players have personality changes from one scene to the next. I am shocked that critics seemed to think this was a good movie.
  93. PatF.
    Jul 14, 2007
    It's rare that I leave a movie before it's over, but this "pro life baby movie" was one of the worst. The many ultra sounds starting with the 6 week fetus's heartbeat which clinches the decision for the ill-mated couple to go through with this pregnancy and the silliness of the whole dialogue was too much.
  94. AjJ.
    Aug 18, 2007
    Any other reviewers that compare this movie to pornography need to go out and get some new porn, because that's an insult to hardworking pornographers everywhere. The acting in porn movies is much better than the acting in this godawful clunker, and the plots in porn are usually a lot more believable too. Best of all, porno movies don't usually drag on for over 2 hours with no Any other reviewers that compare this movie to pornography need to go out and get some new porn, because that's an insult to hardworking pornographers everywhere. The acting in porn movies is much better than the acting in this godawful clunker, and the plots in porn are usually a lot more believable too. Best of all, porno movies don't usually drag on for over 2 hours with no point at all. Which is to say, I really didn't like this film much at all. Sorry I forgot to warn you all sooner. Expand
  95. ChristieD.
    Nov 24, 2007
    This is the worst movie I have ever seen. The jokes and story were very old.

1. Knocked Up feels very NOW. The banter is bruisingly funny, the characters BRILLIANTLY childish, the portrait of our culture's narrowing gap between children and their elders hysterical--in all senses.
    Knocked Up could be one of the summer of 2007's sleeper hits. It certainly deserves the distinction.
    On the surface, Apatow's films are about sex--obsessively, exclusively, and exhaustively. (This one lasts more than two hours.) But that is a clever feint, for their true subject is age.