7.6

1. Sep 3, 2013
    Based on a great story and beautifully shot, but the acting is overly theatrical and I can't remember the last time I saw so many clich├ęs packed into one film. Very unsubtle.
  2. Aug 28, 2013
    Very good film, kept my attention from the begginning to the end. The historical background is very nice, and the personality of the characters, especially that of the protagonist, are very interesting. For me it was impossible to not be thrilled by the thoughts of being in their place, in the most isolated place in the oceans, with just a wooden balse, and travel thousands kilometers with that sometimes crazy leader. It is the kind of movie that I want to tell everyone I know to watch. Expand
  3. Jun 23, 2013
    This is a wonderful movie! It's the best film I've seen all year. Reminded me of "Life of Pi" but better.
    The action is riveting with special effects that enhance rather than exploit the narrative. It's nice to see a return to intelligence in special effects movie making. But call me old fashioned; I like movies that tell a story.
    And everyone knows it's a great story. This film is just
    an energy boost from beginning to end. And the music and acting are superb. I think this film will get some Academy Award notice. The Weinstein brothers nail it again. Bravo! Expand
  4. Jun 3, 2013
    Kon Tiki suffers a little from being released too closely to Life of Pi (a much better film). There are similarities between the two films. The version I saw also felt choppy, as though it was edited to take out most of the slow parts, so you don't get the character development that makes for a better film. The theater where I saw it advertised it as being 118 minutes long, but it was only 1 hr 25 minutes long. It always had that feeling like I've seen it before. There were no relationships developed between the men at all. The men all seemed to have the same temperament and personality and were indistinguishable. The best part of the film for me was the cinematography and special effects. Expand
  5. May 25, 2013
    This was a moving experience to view. Mr. Heyerdahl had a clear goal to prove by his efforts that Polynesia was settled by sailors from Peru on rafts 1500 years ago and not by sailors from Asia. He had many doubters and obstacles to overcome but his faith was unshakable. When he finally reached his destination after a long and dangerous journey (101 days), he wept when he touched the ground. So did I.
    Now I understand why Oslo, Norway built a museum to permanently house Heyerdahl's raft as a fitting tribute to the courage of this man.
  6. May 18, 2013
    When I found out that this a film nominated for an academy award for Foreign film about a true story of an explorer's epic crossing of the Pacific on a balsa wood raft in 1947, i thought it would be at least dramatic if not intense. Instead I felt completely disengaged and completely bored by the whole experience. Only worthwhile moment of the film where the camera pans up all the way to space and back to the raft. Expand
  7. Apr 29, 2013
    Great Norwegian movie about Thor Heyerdahl. The movie is exciting as well as dramatic, one of the best Norwegian movies ever made in my opinion. Must watch!

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jun 21, 2013
    Roenning and Sandberg never dig deeply into the real, underlying motivating force behind Heyerdahl's voyage aboard the Kon-Tiki -- the name of his visually unimpressive but ultimately seaworthy raft -- other than relying on the fact that he wanted to prove his theory correct.
  2. Reviewed by: Donald Liebenson
    Jun 11, 2013
    While the wind goes out of its sails a few times along the way, this is a ravishingly photographed, old-fashioned man-against-the-elements adventure epic propelled by human-scaled heroics.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    May 30, 2013
    For most of its running time, it's a riveting rendition of a stranger-than-fiction tale.