Kumaré

7.2

1. Jul 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The ideas behind the film are fascinating but the struggle here is with the film maker/guru. It offers up a biased perspective on the whole situation and his whole premise for the film seems to compromise it in the end for me. I'm still divided on what was genuine in this film if anything at all.

It generates some very interesting discussion but I I would love to see a doco filmed by a uninvolved third party on multiple perspectives, including those burned.

1. Reviewed by: David Lewis
    Sep 6, 2012
    If they handed out a best actor Oscar for documentaries this year, the striking Vikram Gandhi of Kumare would be a shoo-in. His performance of a guru is so spot-on that it fools every one of his new followers into believing he's the real deal, not someone out to prove that their faith in him is nothing more than a sham.
  2. Reviewed by: Mark Feeney
    Sep 6, 2012
    What is offensive is how the masquerade punks these other people - and to no seeming purpose, other than to provide Gandhi with footage for this documentary.
  3. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Aug 16, 2012
    As Kumaré plays out, both Gandhi and the film become something else, something much more thoughtful and moving. It is, as he puts it, the biggest lie he has ever told and the greatest truth he has ever known.