6.9

1. Apr 4, 2013
    One of the finest movies I have ever seen. Incredibly moving and a must for anyone who is the least bit interested in religion and spirituality. A fascinating realization of a deeply fundamental and universal truth.
  2. Jan 20, 2014
    I am not a big fan of documentaries & would not have watched this on my own (I saw it in a group i was in) but was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. From the very beginning to the ending credits I was glued to my seat! It was very smart, funny, sad & bluntly honest! I recommend this movie to anyone that enjoys controversy & who questions religion!
  3. May 19, 2014
    As a fairly new atheist (and therefore more snarky about religion than I have any right or reason to be) I thought I'd get a laugh a minute out of this whole thing. But it was really sad how easily a charismatic rascal in colorful garb can start a religion. The world is too full of hurting, broken people, and the human condition is just entirely too pathetic. I'm left with a question: Did he really feel any sorrow for his deceptions and any real affection for the people he tricked, or was that an act, too? Kumaré gets a 10 from me regardless of the primary actor's true character. It's thought provoking. And I'm glad I couldn't laugh at the people who were taken in by him. They're just good people who were looking for answers in the wrong place. And who hasn't done that at one time or another, one way or another? Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Lewis
    Sep 6, 2012
    If they handed out a best actor Oscar for documentaries this year, the striking Vikram Gandhi of Kumare would be a shoo-in. His performance of a guru is so spot-on that it fools every one of his new followers into believing he's the real deal, not someone out to prove that their faith in him is nothing more than a sham.
  2. Reviewed by: Mark Feeney
    Sep 6, 2012
    What is offensive is how the masquerade punks these other people - and to no seeming purpose, other than to provide Gandhi with footage for this documentary.
  3. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Aug 16, 2012
    As Kumaré plays out, both Gandhi and the film become something else, something much more thoughtful and moving. It is, as he puts it, the biggest lie he has ever told and the greatest truth he has ever known.