8.0

1. Sep 13, 2010
    A wonderful performance from Marion Cotillard as Edith Piaf.
    With a strong supporting cast, the film keeps your attention for the whole 2 & a half hours.
    The incidental music is superb, so much that I bought the soundtrack.
  2. Aug 13, 2011
    Since I saw Marion Cotillard in the movie '' Inception '', I became a fan, because she's such a beautiful and talented actress. After I found out she won an Oscar for this movie, I had to see it. '' La vie en rose '' (original title is '' La môme '' ) is a captivating, entertaining and melancholic movie. It's the first time that I really felt sad for a character. Marion delivered such an amazing performance, that I couldn't even recognized her. She totally deserved that Oscar. It's the kind of movie that a teacher will make the students watch in class for an educational purpose. Well, it would have been the best. I enjoyed it and I had no problem understanding (okay okay, I speck french, sorry for putting it in your face). What I mean is, it's better to see it in the original language. Because if you see it with english subtitles, or if it's translated in english, it won't be necessarily the same thing (emotions, effect, plus it doesn't always translate expressions correctly). Anyway, french or not, you can still be amazed by this film. The cinematography is wonderful. The filmmakers did a good job for creating the ambiance from approximately 1920 to 1963. Of course, it also has some great classic songs. I wish I knew Marion Cotillard earlier, but I'm glad that I had the chance to see it. If you're a fan of dramas or melancholy, this movie is for you. Expand
  3. Mar 15, 2011
    Marion Cotillard is absolutely captivating in her innocent and arrogant portrayal of The Little Sparrow. The slums of Paris are beautiful thanks to the rich music and character and song - while New York has never looked more glamorous than it does surrounding Edith Piaf. Watching La vie en Rose was like attending a marvellous art gallery that comes to life and sucks you in.
    However, the
    film starts as many biographical features do; late in the career of the subject and with ominous signs of the impending downward spiral. We then cut to Edith's childhood and one can assume that what follows is her life and lead-up to the film's opening scene. Instead the film jumps to moments in her life that both precede and follow the opener with no discernible pattern. At first this seemed simply an artistic method of film making but eventually became a confusing maze of snippets of film, so much so that I began to wonder if the film was going to ever end - and when the final scenes did come, I found I wasn't quite ready for them.
    Nevertheless, Cotillard's performance was without fault, the music is nothing short of beautiful and overall La vie en Rose is a very touching film.
  4. Sep 23, 2011
    Just as a biopic should be, it's all about one person. If the actress playing Edith Piaf wasn't up to scratch, the film wouldn't work at all. Thankfully, Marion Cotillard is absolutely captivating. The inhabits the role to such an extent that you can forget that you're watching an actress. The film itself, through the way the story is told, is able to manipulate your emotions so effectively that you may find yourself laughing one moment and sobbing fat tears the very next. Piaf's iconic songs also perfectly compliment the story of her remarkable, if tragic life. Collapse
  5. Oct 20, 2013
    is regular until Marion Cotillard appears she alone can carry the whole movie because his acting sweet and dramatic and also have a harrowing scenes...

1. Hurtling and impassioned, driven by some of the greatest popular music ever recorded, this wildly overripe and unkempt biopic is a true experience.
  2. Reviewed by: Ella Taylor
    Uplifted beyond its merits by a stunning performance from Marion Cotillard, the humdrum biopic of Edith Piaf, La Vie En Rose, jogs obligingly along with Piaf the legend rather than the woman.
  3. La Vie en Rose elevates Piaf the archetype over Piaf the artist. Although I question this approach, I'm not sure it could have been done any differently, at least given the facts of Piaf's life. If there is such a way, Duhan didn't find it.