8.6

1. Nov 22, 2011
    "Labyrinth" is a movie that starts out as what looks like a fantasy equivalent to "Peter Pan" , but sizzles down in the end only as a decent movie with a baffling story behind the great CGI.
  2. Sep 8, 2012
    It has been over twenty years since this film was shown in theaters, but still manages to surprise, enchant and make people laugh. Sarah (Jennifer Connelly) is a fifteen-parents divorced and lives at home with his father and step-mother (stepmother is always trying to help the girl but Sarah refuses any contact with her). One day find yourself doing the babysitter to her little brotherIt has been over twenty years since this film was shown in theaters, but still manages to surprise, enchant and make people laugh. Sarah (Jennifer Connelly) is a fifteen-parents divorced and lives at home with his father and step-mother (stepmother is always trying to help the girl but Sarah refuses any contact with her). One day find yourself doing the babysitter to her little brother newborn (played by the father's relationship with his stepmother and therefore hated by Sarah) and stove hear him crying invokes the Goblin King, Jareth (David Bowie) who kidnaps him. Sarah repented for what he did asks to Jareth to get back the child, but the latter told him if he does not recover within thirteen hours the child will turn into a gnome. This will force the girl to find her brother through the maze full of strange creatures and traps. Directed by Jim Henson, the film has a simple plot organized so great and full of genius found in inquiries concerning the creatures, the maze and pitfalls. Fine performance, that of David Bowie suitable for this movie and also good Coonelly Jennifer. Expand
  3. Oct 31, 2010
    George Lucas and Jim Henson had teamed up and they made an entertaining masterpiece.
  4. Jun 24, 2011
    This isn't the deepest of films, it throws you right in at the deep end and you're off and rolling within the first few minutes, but it's good fun. David Bowie's tremendously theatrical and cartoony, which absolutely works considering the creatures he's ruling over, so he's ace throughout. Jennifer Connolly does a really good job considering her age, carrying things as the one constantThis isn't the deepest of films, it throws you right in at the deep end and you're off and rolling within the first few minutes, but it's good fun. David Bowie's tremendously theatrical and cartoony, which absolutely works considering the creatures he's ruling over, so he's ace throughout. Jennifer Connolly does a really good job considering her age, carrying things as the one constant throughout and interacting amusingly with the various animatronic characters and men-in-suits. The supporting cast is a fairly entertaining range of wacky characters, typical Jim Henson (very Fraggle Rock and Muppets, of course!), and some of the special effects are very impressive considering the time period, particularly on Hoggle, who would probably be acceptable in a modern day film. The film does start to drag after a bit but it's interesting enough to be worth a watch if you're curious! Expand
  5. Mar 15, 2013
    One of my favorite movie from my childhood. I still enjoy it to this day. Fun story, great effect (for the day) and some really memorable performances, particularly from David Bowie. But, I do find that the story does get a little too sidetracked from time to time and needlessly slows down. But, it doesn't happen too often. Overall: A treasure from my childhood and a classic fantasy movie.
  6. Nov 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. “The Labyrinth” directed by Jim Henson in 1986 is a movie about a 15 year old girl named Sarah who wishes her half baby brother Toby away to the Goblin King. Sarah has to complete the labyrinth within fifteen hours or else the Goblin King will keep Toby forever and turn him into a goblin. In beginning of the labyrinth Sarah meets a goblin named Hoggle. Eventually Hoggle and Sarah become friends and try to get through the labyrinth together. Hoggle was given orders from the Goblin King to take Sarah back to the beginning but Hoggle had become fond of her. Throughout the labyrinth Jared the Goblin King sends obstacles her way to deter her from making it to the center of the labyrinth to save her brother. Along the way not only does she make friends with Hoggle but also a huge furry beast named Ludo, and a small fox knight named Sir Didymus. The four eventually get to the center of the labyrinth against all odds.
    Within the center of the labyrinth is Goblin City, where they find themselves being attacked by hundreds of goblins. Eventually they make it through the city and Sarah faces the Goblin King on her own. The King takes Sarah around a room with stairs going every which way but she finally reaches her brother who has been out of reach this whole time. Once Sarah has Toby in her arms the labyrinth disappears and the Goblin King tells Sarah that he will make all her dreams come true, he even give her himself in return for giving him Toby. She refuses and wakes up in her room. She runs to find Toby sound asleep in his crib. She then goes to her room to put away all of the things she thinks are childish and have been holding her back from growing up but as she looks in the mirror she sees her friends Hoggle, Ludo, and Sir Didymus. They tell her they will always be there for her and she thanks them and tells them that she needs them after all. They appear in her room and have a huge party with all the goblins. Jared now an owl watches from outside the window.
    I saw this movie for the first time when I was ten and it has been my all time favorite movie ever since. If you are a David Bowie lover, like I am, you will enjoy this movie immensely. There is no mistaking that this is David Bowie in the movie. Not only is David Bowie is one of the stars in the movie which is a plus, but his outfits in the movie are amazing! The music in the movie is also done by Bowie which adds extra points to my review. For the time period this movie has great effects, from the goblin suits, to the set. It is really amazing what they did with it.
    This is a classic 80s movie with all the sparkle, big dresses, and flashy hair. The puppeteers in this movie were astounding. Jennifer Connelly plays Sarah in the movie and in my opinion nails it. She started out as a child model and I think the modeling and this role play hand in hand. She was a great choice for this character. This movie plays at 101 minutes and only has one part where it seems a little drawn out; Sarah is in a trance from eating a peach the Goblin King had given to Hoggle for Sarah, she is in a junk yard and ends up in her room. This part in my opinion the movie could have done without, but other than that I would give this movie a big thumbs up.
    When the movie was released in 1986 it tanked in box offices but between 2006 and 2012 it came back and grew a following. Its budget was 25 million and in box offices only grossed 12,729,917. I’m glad people are recognizing it now and it is getting some well needed attention. This is and will always be my all time favorite movie and I urge you to take some time out of your day to rent this movie and let yourself be taken into the labyrinth with Sarah and all the other fascinating creatures.
  7. Nov 28, 2014
    I think labyrinth is one of the greatest fantasy movies of all time despite its box office fail and mixed opinion from critics I can say the movie has some of its flaws and also alot of things not really explained but I have to praise it for it art style and also how developed and how lovable every charater is within the film. I think it's silly,scary and loving at times. And love or hateI think labyrinth is one of the greatest fantasy movies of all time despite its box office fail and mixed opinion from critics I can say the movie has some of its flaws and also alot of things not really explained but I have to praise it for it art style and also how developed and how lovable every charater is within the film. I think it's silly,scary and loving at times. And love or hate the movie it's a movie that you will never forget. But overall it's a timeless, charming classic that will always be rewatchable and more magical the more you watch it. Expand

Great energy and creativity went into the construction, production and direction of this movie, but it doesn't have a story that does justice to the production.
  2. Reviewed by: Nina Darnton
    Labyrinth, a fabulous film about a young girl's journey into womanhood that uses futuristic technology to illuminate a mythic-style tale, is in many ways a remarkable achievement.
  3. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Fabulous fantasy from the godfather of modern puppetry Jim Henson.