TriStar Pictures | Release Date: June 27, 1986
8.7
Universal acclaim based on 130 Ratings
WATCH NOW
CaraE.Oct 14, 2007
If you're looking for depth, no, Labyrinth is not a ten. Fun, imagination, and clever wordplay however make this film a treasured childhood memory, and a favourite to last a lifetime.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
Mad_Hatter91Sep 8, 2012
It has been over twenty years since this film was shown in theaters, but still manages to surprise, enchant and make people laugh. Sarah (Jennifer Connelly) is a fifteen-parents divorced and lives at home with his father and step-motherIt has been over twenty years since this film was shown in theaters, but still manages to surprise, enchant and make people laugh. Sarah (Jennifer Connelly) is a fifteen-parents divorced and lives at home with his father and step-mother (stepmother is always trying to help the girl but Sarah refuses any contact with her). One day find yourself doing the babysitter to her little brother newborn (played by the father's relationship with his stepmother and therefore hated by Sarah) and stove hear him crying invokes the Goblin King, Jareth (David Bowie) who kidnaps him. Sarah repented for what he did asks to Jareth to get back the child, but the latter told him if he does not recover within thirteen hours the child will turn into a gnome. This will force the girl to find her brother through the maze full of strange creatures and traps. Directed by Jim Henson, the film has a simple plot organized so great and full of genius found in inquiries concerning the creatures, the maze and pitfalls. Fine performance, that of David Bowie suitable for this movie and also good Coonelly Jennifer. Expand
PhillipRNov 28, 2014
I think labyrinth is one of the greatest fantasy movies of all time despite its box office fail and mixed opinion from critics I can say the movie has some of its flaws and also alot of things not really explained but I have to praise it forI think labyrinth is one of the greatest fantasy movies of all time despite its box office fail and mixed opinion from critics I can say the movie has some of its flaws and also alot of things not really explained but I have to praise it for it art style and also how developed and how lovable every charater is within the film. I think it's silly,scary and loving at times. And love or hate the movie it's a movie that you will never forget. But overall it's a timeless, charming classic that will always be rewatchable and more magical the more you watch it. Expand
JarethLivesOnApr 3, 2015
This movie was one of the first movies I can remember as a young child. My face always lit up on my birthday because we'd always watch this as the first thing we did every year. Somewhere around the age of 12 I lost this movie and we didn'tThis movie was one of the first movies I can remember as a young child. My face always lit up on my birthday because we'd always watch this as the first thing we did every year. Somewhere around the age of 12 I lost this movie and we didn't watch it anymore. I now am 15 and just got this for an early Easter gift. I screamed and instantly put it in. You know how normally you watch movies from your childhood and see how corny they are? Well not this one. I sang along with every song, laughed when they said the wrong names for Hoggle and even giggled at the awkward, Jareth please put on different pants moments. This is my favorite movie of all time and trust me I've seen quiet a few movies. I'm just sad they haven't made a second one. Expand
EliHaroldJan 28, 2016
I'm 35 and every time I put this on it brings me back to being 7 again watching it for the first time in the movie theaters. They sure don't make rockstars or movies like they used to.
badfantasyrxSep 22, 2016
Labyrinth
Jareth: I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave.
Jareth: You remind me of the babe. Goblin: What babe? Jareth: The babe with the power. Goblin: What power? Jareth: The power of
Labyrinth

Jareth: You remind me of the babe.
Goblin: What babe?
Jareth: The babe with the power.
Goblin: What power?
Jareth: The power of voodoo.
Goblin: Who do?
Jareth: You do.
Goblin: Do what?
Jareth: Remind me of the babe.

She's a girl who's mad at her mother's second marriage, and the child who took her place- her baby half brother. He's the Goblin King, the granter of wishes that are best forgotten. The setting is allegory and the journey, life.

Sarah is young, impetuous and tired of the restrictions that society places on teenagers to keep them from growing up too fast. Her parents are happy, modern and determined to make a blended family within the new religious framework for the nineteen nineties- where the home is still paramount, but the tradition of Adam and Eve, until death do we part, has been replaced by the more Wiccan concept of handfasting. She's a product of this world and, ultimately, represents the generation that will finally bring it together.

The story weaves like a Celtic trinity knot, ending where it begins as she puzzles and discovers her way through the Labyrinth of life, experiencing the promises of Jareth, the Goblin King and eventually seeing through the illusions around her and finding her way back to both reality and wonder. Does she keep the magic, lose her brother and allow Jareth a way into her life? Or does she grow up, learn to see through the walls around her and manage to find the strength to have it all?

Tatianna Anne Jindra
On YouTube
BadFantasyRx

From water, flung into being.
Emerging from no when, then, the Labyrinth.
Shaped from star dirt, all that matters.
The joy or sorrow of its wending Gordian Knot
Flowing from what we see in the child’s mouth
Pushing an ever growing burden of memory before.
Allusion, both ways.
No Hob to trick, instead a Swan
A shower of rings and things,
The promises of a Goblin King,
Of the devil, having stolen the unicorn’s horn.
XenonJun 29, 2007
David Bowie and Jim Henson team up for a delightful fantasy.
1 of 1 users found this helpful
chantelHNov 2, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. “The Labyrinth” directed by Jim Henson in 1986 is a movie about a 15 year old girl named Sarah who wishes her half baby brother Toby away to the Goblin King. Sarah has to complete the labyrinth within fifteen hours or else the Goblin King will keep Toby forever and turn him into a goblin. In beginning of the labyrinth Sarah meets a goblin named Hoggle. Eventually Hoggle and Sarah become friends and try to get through the labyrinth together. Hoggle was given orders from the Goblin King to take Sarah back to the beginning but Hoggle had become fond of her. Throughout the labyrinth Jared the Goblin King sends obstacles her way to deter her from making it to the center of the labyrinth to save her brother. Along the way not only does she make friends with Hoggle but also a huge furry beast named Ludo, and a small fox knight named Sir Didymus. The four eventually get to the center of the labyrinth against all odds.
Within the center of the labyrinth is Goblin City, where they find themselves being attacked by hundreds of goblins. Eventually they make it through the city and Sarah faces the Goblin King on her own. The King takes Sarah around a room with stairs going every which way but she finally reaches her brother who has been out of reach this whole time. Once Sarah has Toby in her arms the labyrinth disappears and the Goblin King tells Sarah that he will make all her dreams come true, he even give her himself in return for giving him Toby. She refuses and wakes up in her room. She runs to find Toby sound asleep in his crib. She then goes to her room to put away all of the things she thinks are childish and have been holding her back from growing up but as she looks in the mirror she sees her friends Hoggle, Ludo, and Sir Didymus. They tell her they will always be there for her and she thanks them and tells them that she needs them after all. They appear in her room and have a huge party with all the goblins. Jared now an owl watches from outside the window.
I saw this movie for the first time when I was ten and it has been my all time favorite movie ever since. If you are a David Bowie lover, like I am, you will enjoy this movie immensely. There is no mistaking that this is David Bowie in the movie. Not only is David Bowie is one of the stars in the movie which is a plus, but his outfits in the movie are amazing! The music in the movie is also done by Bowie which adds extra points to my review. For the time period this movie has great effects, from the goblin suits, to the set. It is really amazing what they did with it.
This is a classic 80s movie with all the sparkle, big dresses, and flashy hair. The puppeteers in this movie were astounding. Jennifer Connelly plays Sarah in the movie and in my opinion nails it. She started out as a child model and I think the modeling and this role play hand in hand. She was a great choice for this character. This movie plays at 101 minutes and only has one part where it seems a little drawn out; Sarah is in a trance from eating a peach the Goblin King had given to Hoggle for Sarah, she is in a junk yard and ends up in her room. This part in my opinion the movie could have done without, but other than that I would give this movie a big thumbs up.
When the movie was released in 1986 it tanked in box offices but between 2006 and 2012 it came back and grew a following. Its budget was 25 million and in box offices only grossed 12,729,917. I’m glad people are recognizing it now and it is getting some well needed attention. This is and will always be my all time favorite movie and I urge you to take some time out of your day to rent this movie and let yourself be taken into the labyrinth with Sarah and all the other fascinating creatures.
MovieLonely94Oct 31, 2010
George Lucas and Jim Henson had teamed up and they made an entertaining masterpiece.
Rox22Mar 15, 2013
One of my favorite movie from my childhood. I still enjoy it to this day. Fun story, great effect (for the day) and some really memorable performances, particularly from David Bowie. But, I do find that the story does get a little tooOne of my favorite movie from my childhood. I still enjoy it to this day. Fun story, great effect (for the day) and some really memorable performances, particularly from David Bowie. But, I do find that the story does get a little too sidetracked from time to time and needlessly slows down. But, it doesn't happen too often. Overall: A treasure from my childhood and a classic fantasy movie. Expand
JCDec 9, 2007
This fantasy gave me the creeps when I was young (way before I knew who David Bowie was), but looking back it was a great fantasy tale.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
DanLowthJun 24, 2011
This isn't the deepest of films, it throws you right in at the deep end and you're off and rolling within the first few minutes, but it's good fun. David Bowie's tremendously theatrical and cartoony, which absolutely works considering theThis isn't the deepest of films, it throws you right in at the deep end and you're off and rolling within the first few minutes, but it's good fun. David Bowie's tremendously theatrical and cartoony, which absolutely works considering the creatures he's ruling over, so he's ace throughout. Jennifer Connolly does a really good job considering her age, carrying things as the one constant throughout and interacting amusingly with the various animatronic characters and men-in-suits. The supporting cast is a fairly entertaining range of wacky characters, typical Jim Henson (very Fraggle Rock and Muppets, of course!), and some of the special effects are very impressive considering the time period, particularly on Hoggle, who would probably be acceptable in a modern day film. The film does start to drag after a bit but it's interesting enough to be worth a watch if you're curious! Expand
lasttimeisawApr 8, 2015
LABYRINTH is Jim Benson’s follow-up of the grotesquely eye-opening puppet enterprise THE DARK CRYSTAL (1982, 7/10), and also his final painstaking work, where he pairs a cherubic Jennifer Connelly and a trend-setting David Bowie (look at hisLABYRINTH is Jim Benson’s follow-up of the grotesquely eye-opening puppet enterprise THE DARK CRYSTAL (1982, 7/10), and also his final painstaking work, where he pairs a cherubic Jennifer Connelly and a trend-setting David Bowie (look at his 80s coiffure!) as human actors with all his accomplished puppets, to present a spellbinding fairytale in a labyrinth at the heart of a Goblin kingdom. It was a disastrous commercial failure upon its release, but time has been pretty generous to it and now it has achieved the cult status and even a possible sequel has been hatched for many years.

keep reading my review on my blog, please google: cinema omnivore, thanks!
mcg1986Sep 10, 2016
Nostalgia holds a magical power over people. It can warm souls, comfort sadness, project youth, and even cloud judgment. This makes films like Labyrinth particularly difficult to read critically. Much like Goonies, Henson’s Labyrinth’s, a mixNostalgia holds a magical power over people. It can warm souls, comfort sadness, project youth, and even cloud judgment. This makes films like Labyrinth particularly difficult to read critically. Much like Goonies, Henson’s Labyrinth’s, a mix of wry comedy and innovatively designed ideas, put a loving trance on swaths of 20-40 year olds who happened to see it at the right time. Much like many of its ilk, I’m not sure it completely deserves all the accolades it gets from its fanboys/girls. However, it’s still fantastical fun, even if its storytelling urgency is less than fully engulfing.
It’s a film more interested in incidents than plot (girl wishes brother would leave, goblins steal brother, sister has to get brother back). In that sense, and many others, it harkens Alice in Wonderland (my favorite Disney Animated film). It’s an intensely imaginative movie that follows a bored young girl (played by Connelly with the charisma of a mannequin) as she encounters an adventure full of odd characters, winding streets, and inexplicable magic. The characters within the maze are fun and distinct, and Bowie matches the dark mystery of the story while keeping a childish wonder right below the surface.
The difference between this and other kids-fantasy-adventures I REALLY love is hard to pinpoint. The design is outstanding, the humor is affable, the characters are surprising, and the scenes pop with surprise. Again, I can only assume my distance from this film during my early age keeps me at a slight distance. Nonetheless, this is an enjoyable piece of 80s pop-culture that I’m shocked Tim Burton and Johnny Depp haven’t ruined with a CG-covered remake. Give it time.
grandpajoe6191Nov 22, 2011
"Labyrinth" is a movie that starts out as what looks like a fantasy equivalent to "Peter Pan" , but sizzles down in the end only as a decent movie with a baffling story behind the great CGI.