8.0

1. CarlosR.
    Oct 3, 2004
    Wow do you think that they had Metacritic in mind when they named it Ladder 49? That's about the score the movie should receive. Nothing great, just mediocre at best. A nice way to pass the time on a rainy day but that is about it.
  2. burtonm.
    Jan 12, 2005
    Complete turd. Slow, sappy, boring.
  3. Leonard
    May 4, 2005
    From start to finish the quality of the theater and the comfort of the seats seemed to dominate my movie experiance. Being a firefighter I can only hope that our youth was equally impressed with only the seats and the theater.
  4. MichaelM.
    Oct 21, 2004
    I didn't care for this film. Some good special effects, couldn't redeem the film for me. The acting was mostly terrible: John Travolta gave one of the worst performances of his career, and the woman who played Joaquin Phoenix's wife was painful to watch act. The film has a corny and over-the-top screenplay, and the characters are unlikable hicks who put alcohol away like I didn't care for this film. Some good special effects, couldn't redeem the film for me. The acting was mostly terrible: John Travolta gave one of the worst performances of his career, and the woman who played Joaquin Phoenix's wife was painful to watch act. The film has a corny and over-the-top screenplay, and the characters are unlikable hicks who put alcohol away like the entire population of Ireland (sorry for the offensive joke.) I guess it's kind of just an unlikable film, with a sappy and shameful ending. The only good element about this film was Joaquin Phoenix's performance. I agree with one critic when he said the only thing that would get movie-goers out of the theater faster would be an actual fire. HA! I like that joke. Expand

In a shrill attempt to overcompensate for the film's shortcomings, William Ross' hyperbolic score does the audience's work for it, cheering heroism, guffawing during lighthearted moments, and getting all misty-eyed during the tender and tragic scenes.
  2. The film is less of a drama than a tribute -- an ode, even -- to the spirit and tenacity of firefighters. Its makers hardly bother to explore the lives or motives behind their actions.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    It plays, rather, like an old-fashioned, by-the-numbers drama that solidly connects with most of its well-worn cliches.