A24 | Release Date: November 3, 2017
7.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 652 Ratings
Watch Now
Tony1984Mar 6, 2018
This is a sweet coming of age movie . The quality of the acting is excellent. Saoirse Ronan really shows off her acting ability. In fact the whole cast does.
But coming of age movies are nothing new. They were the bread and butter of the
But coming of age movies are nothing new. They were the bread and butter of the 80's. 'The Breakfast Club' or 'Pretty in Pink' were wonderful movies and ‘Lady Bird isn't in the same class as either of these two. It’s the narrative of 'Lady Bird' where the fault lines lie. The dysfunctional self indulgent self pitying family is a cliche and its obsession with money repellent. The family including lady bird herself isn't terribly attractive or virtuous. The political correctness isn't too bad in this movie, no more than usual but it’s a bit odd going into debt sending children to a fee paying catholic school whilst mocking nuns and their philosophy. A little bit of hypocrisy but it can be forgiven for the nice ending.
JLuis_001Dec 28, 2017
One more case in which I must row against the current and discover something that a person who had already seen this movie told me, apparently you cannot give a negative opinion about this film and considering what I have seen now that I haveOne more case in which I must row against the current and discover something that a person who had already seen this movie told me, apparently you cannot give a negative opinion about this film and considering what I have seen now that I have finished it, I will undoubtedly be crucified by many, but being quite honest for everything they mentioned about it and the huge avalanche of positive reviews it received, in my personal opinion, Lady Bird is one of the biggest disappointments of the year and yes, is perhaps the most overrated movie of the year along with Get Out.

Lady Bird tells the story of Christine "Lady Bird" McPherson, a young woman who lives in Sacramento in 2002, regardless of certain narrative resources that the movie does not need to use, like social networks and smartphones, the time frame in which the film takes place it couldn't have been more irrelevant.
My biggest problem has to do with the main character and when something like that happens, you know it's serious, personally my adolescence flew away many years ago, but for me now as then it would be quite clear to expose Christine as a spoiled, selfish and narcissist brat that at all times and in all situations, she only thinks about herself. Everyone is wrong except her. She also lives complaining about the life she has while doing nothing to change her environment beyond the fact the she's trying to enter an out of state college just to leave the place where she feels locked up, not caring at all that her parents are facing financial problems and have made it clear that supporting her financially is not an option, but she doesn't care because like in many other coming of age films, the ''teenagers'' believe they are being repressed in their place of origin and so their talents are not properly exploited. Cliché and repetitive.

The true strength of the film and the story in general lies in everything that surrounds her, that's the best reason to see Lady Bird because most of those characters have more serious problems and forge what she does regardless of whether she believes that's not the case, starting with her mother and her father, it's true that her mother presses too much, but come on, you have to be honest, it's not like Lady Bird leaves her with so many options with her childish tantrums.
Her father is unemployed and struggling with depression trying to provide for her family and yet Lady Bird's concerns lie in what she will do, avoiding helping in any way.
Her boyfriend, her best friend, the guy with whom she loses her virginity, her momentary and popular friend, her adopted brother and her girlfriend, all form a protective halo in a narrative mode because it's the conflicts of those characters what sustain this movie, otherwise Lady Bird wouldn't have been more than just a movie of another teenager incapable of deciding what she hopes to do with her life and that situation has is been seen already too many times in both cinema and real life

The film gets recomposed in its final section where the character absorbs a bit of maturity and enters a new stage of her life, the ending makes it clear but until that point we can only infer what will be of her in the future and perhaps she will become a better person and certainly then she could have been a better character, but it wasn't the case and for me that diminished my enjoyment and enthusiasm for the film in a big way.

I admit that Saoirse Ronan does a good job, but on front of such script, unfortunately the character doesn't stop being annoying. She manages to give it a little more strength for being a great actress, otherwise I think that the character would have been lost miserably.

Greta Gerwing delivers a film that looks good, that has an uneven but sustained rhythm. She manages to take her first film to a safe harbor but if she really wants to continue making films as a filmmaker, she needs stronger scripts.
AlexHacheJan 11, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't quite understand the hype. I found the movie pretty boring, clichéd, and immature.
The new boyfriend is gay... how original, how shocking. The fat, poor friend is kind and loyal, while the pretty, rich friend is a jerk...
For about half an hour, I expected the movie to really 'start'; then I realized it would never 'start', and I just waited for it to end.
TheWaffleDec 29, 2017
Enjoyable but unoriginal. Lady Bird is a well made coming-of-age story, but it doesn't bring much new to the table. Set in 2002, it feels like a nostalgic teenage movie, as though it's 15 years to late for the Gen Xers, and it doesn't adaptEnjoyable but unoriginal. Lady Bird is a well made coming-of-age story, but it doesn't bring much new to the table. Set in 2002, it feels like a nostalgic teenage movie, as though it's 15 years to late for the Gen Xers, and it doesn't adapt the genre to deal with more modern teenage issues. There are no glaring weaknesses, except perhaps the father character who is played completely one-note throughout the film. It was never boring, but I don't expect Lady Bird will stick in my mind like other similar films. Expand
WarriorlilyDec 6, 2017
A sweet, but rootless, meandering, unremarkable movie that seemed like it was lacking a vital life energy. All the good bits are in the trailer. Best thing about this was the brilliant Laurie Metcalf. You've got the usual teenage fare:A sweet, but rootless, meandering, unremarkable movie that seemed like it was lacking a vital life energy. All the good bits are in the trailer. Best thing about this was the brilliant Laurie Metcalf. You've got the usual teenage fare: concerns about college applications, sex, and friends but nothing wholly original. I know I am bucking the trend by saying these things, but I just don't get what all the critics are excited about. I am shocked that Rotten Tomatoes gave it 100%. Did Birdman get 100%? What is up with that? If you really want to see a brilliant movie, go see The Florida Project. That lives up to the hype. This movie was tepid, lackluster and forgettable. Expand
TVJerryNov 24, 2017
This is yet another quirky character study. Saoirse Ronan plays a renegade high school student (is there any other kind?), whose awkward relationships with boys and other friends is compounded by her need to feel special. Mix in aThis is yet another quirky character study. Saoirse Ronan plays a renegade high school student (is there any other kind?), whose awkward relationships with boys and other friends is compounded by her need to feel special. Mix in a strong-willed, unhappy mother (Laurie Metcalf) to make that family dynamic more dysfunctional. With any film like this, it's important to care for the people. Ronan's performance is fine, but her character is just another unhappy teen without much to make her endearing. Metcalf's mother provides a complex and touching portrayal. Overall, it's another coming of age flick with some effective moments and mildly interesting characters. Expand
GreatMartinNov 17, 2017
I base whether I like a movie or not on: 1) if I would like to see it again 2) the acting 3) if the story gets me involved with the characters and 4) if I get emotionally involved to the point of tears and/or laughter.

“Lady Bird” is not a

“Lady Bird” is not a movie I would want to see again yet the acting was topnotch. On the other hand there were only moments of the 1 hour and 33 minutes of the movie that I was emotionally involved except for being bored through most of it.

I didn’t identify with what all the teenagers went through because I lived a completely different teenage life than they do. I don’t remember if I went to a prom or when/how I lost my virginity, having special friends at school, etc., so I sort of kept thinking, “Come on—let’s get on with the story!” A lot of what the self named Lady Bird was foreign to me or I just don’t remember feeling a lot of what she or the rest of the kids felt.

I became aware of Saorise Ronan, who at 23 plays the 17, 18 year old Lady Bird, when 2 years ago she was in “Brooklyn” getting the best actress nomination. She had made some ‘noise’ in a couple of other movies but I don’t remember her or them. This movie makes a bona fide A list actress of her. Laurie Metcalf was primarily known for her work as Roseanne’s sister on the television show of the same name receiving 10 Emmy nominations winning 3 for that role and currently as Sheldon’s mother on “The Big Ban” and also winning 2 Tony awards for her theatre work. There is no doubt that she will get an Oscar nomination for this mother as the mother you want to hate but won’t.

Tracy Letts, as the father, is mainly known for winning the 2008 Pulitzer prize and a Tony award for writing “August: Osage County” and for his performance on “Homeland”. He won a Tony award for acting and has recently done more acting in television and movies. The relationship between him and Lady Bird is the sweetest part of the film and his fight against depression is affecting.

The rest of the supporting cast from Lucas Hedges and Timothee Chalamet as boyfriends, Beanie Feldstein and Odeya Rush as girl friends along with Lois Smith as a nun at the Catholic school Christine, Lady Bird’s given name, and Jordon Rodrigues as Lady Bird’s older, adopted brother plus others give solid support.

The movie was written and directed by Greta Gerwig who does a better job directing than the writing.

“Lady Bird” is not a movie I want to see again and though I got involved now and then with the characters, at times shedding a tear or two, there is no faulting the acting and will probably see their names nominated for awards.
TrevorsViewNov 17, 2017
We each have nicknames given to us by loved ones. My dad always called my sister “boop” (for reasons unknown), and he called me “TFF” for “Trevor-fo-fevor;” one friend of mine went by his middle name “Xavier,” and another calls his daughterWe each have nicknames given to us by loved ones. My dad always called my sister “boop” (for reasons unknown), and he called me “TFF” for “Trevor-fo-fevor;” one friend of mine went by his middle name “Xavier,” and another calls his daughter “goose.” Nicknames always become so personal because they say practically everything about the bond between the name’s owner and the name’s caller.

So what could be told about a girl who gave herself the nickname Lady Bird? One, she has high self-dependency. Two, she seeks image confidence. Three, she feels too distanced from mom and dad to accept their nicknames. Indeed, you learn even more about Lady Bird as her graduation impends- class of 2003.

Lady Bird just wants to fly away from dull old Sacramento for college on the East Coast; her disrespect upon the confused adults seems understandable enough, since 9/11 still dawdles fresh in the nation’s memory. However, Lady Bird only knows Sacramento’s restrictive side. Director/writer Greta Gerwig, along with the small production crew, pays off their united vision in a humble, down to earth fashion similar to an early 2000’s comedy. Gerwig’s often slow/often fast approach documents Lady Bird’s problems under the awkward pressure of growing up into the unknown: awareness about weight gain, knowing who her real friends are, uncertainty about sexuality, plus more you survived in your youth.

Lady Bird’s oppressive school adds but an extra layer of confusion. The familiar details of a religious institution restrict every teen’s need for self-discovery: dancers keep ten inches apart for the Holy Spirit, skirts below knee level, etc. Lady Bird expresses her attitude about the rules by the way she casually eats the communion wafers as if they were goldfish crackers.

Yet the girl’s shaky maternal bond most allows the coming of age story’s real heart to bloom. Right away the two argue in the car about college, a disagreement she ends by opening the door to the pavement. Now a pink cast on her forearm, a profanity written on toward the one she accuses as responsible, explains their whole relationship. Contrary to Lady Bird’s assumptions, mother truly loves her, as expressed through a clear balance between disciplined silence and a compassionate ear to keep Lady Bird’s head on straight. You may even notice a subtle role reversal, proving Lady Bird’s invisible likenesses to her family. So I wholeheartedly recommend Lady Bird for any mother-daughter night out.

While the script’s more personal than usual, it still comes off one-sided, mainly against Lady Bird’s overly oppressive Catholic school experience. Both inside and outside the school, Lady Bird’s rebellious actions, such as shoplifting, play either for cheap laughs or to cast a stark shadow over religion. Her two older adoptive siblings also contribute little plot importance besides forgettable reactions about her attitude. These two piercing studded emos of ethnic color should have been more down-to-earth voices of reason, ones different from the parents or teachers, but this opportunity is missed.

Gerwig’s approach predominantly passed the opportunity of true love for Sacramento as a location. Remember that song about West Virginia? A love letter about the state’s old life: older than the trees and younger than the mountains? No comparable love for the city of Sacramento resolves Lady Bird’s matters in a satisfying fashion by the end.

An added complaint goes to the crew’s decision to cast 23-year-old Saoirse Ronan to play a teenager, even though she looks too old to play someone underaged. A couple of the other actors halt the enjoyment, particularly Lucas Hedges’ (Manchester by the Sea), clumsy performance as Lady Bird’s little turtle-dove.

Although many other strong performances keep the production’s awards thirst hydrated, especially Oscar-bound Laurie Metcalf, who vigorously plays Mrs. Lady Bird. Stephen Henderson, the underrated thespian from Fences, satisfies as well as the school’s cheerful old drama coach.

So, if I had a nickname for Lady Bird, it would still embrace the initials LB, for “Loving Believability,” as you believe the low points and love the high points. Everyone itches at some desire to leave home, so we each could use a comforting soul like Lady Bird by our side.
rumpiditoDec 12, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I liked the movie to a point. Lots of questions like what was the priest seeing her mom the psych nurse for? Where was she at the end, in New York or Sacramento? Kind of lame plot, ended abruptly and we all kind of turned and looked at each other. Cannot recommend. Expand
dc127Mar 28, 2018
I went into Lady Bird after all of the hype. The movie is interesting. I would say that all of the actors and actresses do a really nice job playing the roles they have been given. The hard part is that some of the characters are quiteI went into Lady Bird after all of the hype. The movie is interesting. I would say that all of the actors and actresses do a really nice job playing the roles they have been given. The hard part is that some of the characters are quite unlikeable. Lady Bird is just all over the place. She is self entitled, selfish, and just straight up weird. Saoirse Ronan is a great actress, but I often was taken out of scenes because she is clearly so much older than the role she is playing. I know 20 year olds routinely play high school kids, but something about her appearance makes her look even older. The movie also doesn't really have a plot. It is a good snapshot of what it is like to be Lady Bird. The movie just doesn't deserve the 9 and 10's critics have been giving it. I chalk that up to a couple factors. One is that Lady Bird is obsessed with New York and moving to where there is more "culture." This feeds into the elitist mindset of many critics. The other is that the main character and the director are women. Again, most reviewers have a liberal bias and this will buy the movie a couple extra good will points. Expand
JosueAndradeFeb 23, 2018
1 hour and a half of endless uncomfortable moments without a worth payback expect for the cliche of ''you don't know what you got till it's gone.
section20mi6Mar 11, 2018
A coming of age story that looks awfully like a Noah Baumbach film, Lady Bird is actually directed by Greta Gerwig, making it looks like a replica of Baumbach's style from story lines to directions. Although the film has some realisticA coming of age story that looks awfully like a Noah Baumbach film, Lady Bird is actually directed by Greta Gerwig, making it looks like a replica of Baumbach's style from story lines to directions. Although the film has some realistic dialogues and excellent performance, it fails to live up as an original. Expand
NestrioFeb 28, 2018
A brilliantly realized, brilliantly acted, and brilliantly directed movie, however the story felt uneventful to me and that's the one major flaw that holds this movie back for me. The story, while relatable in some ways, it just isn't quiteA brilliantly realized, brilliantly acted, and brilliantly directed movie, however the story felt uneventful to me and that's the one major flaw that holds this movie back for me. The story, while relatable in some ways, it just isn't quite interesting. The movie is slow paced and I was waiting for something extraordinary to happen, but it never did. I still like the movie and I enjoyed it to an extend, and that's because of the excellent direction, but I don't really see what's the overwhelming praise about. Expand
mmadnessgamesApr 24, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a very well produced film with great performances, but it feels like something I've already seen dozens of times.

There are elements that don't fit in, tonally. Lady Bird's best friend, Julie, is camp and goofy. The sports coach that is called in to replace the drama teacher reminds me of a children's cartoon.

There's not a lot of subtlety.
There are a lot of cliches.

The gay boyfriend segment was too predictable.

Laurie Metcalf, Saorise Ronan and Tracy Letts are great.

I don't think I'm the intended audience for this film. I'm a 35 year old man and maybe at this point, I've seen too many films. I need something a bit different. If I was a young woman who hadn't watched thousands of films then this might blow me away. I could see that happening. But, it honestly didn't have much impact.

I prefer films that reveal more. There is a deeper layer to the main character that I'd like to see explored, warts and all. Her relationship with her mother and her father are shown, not dissected. This is a portrait, rather than a study. It is a snapshot of a confused young woman leaving the nest and trying to find her way in life.

There have been much better coming-of-age flicks over the past couple of years.

I can't help but think that this got more attention than it deserved because of the current cultural climate in the West. It has 94/100 from critics...?

It's not a bad film, by any means.
And, it's an impressive directorial debut.
But... it isn't a masterpiece.
AkumaJackMay 10, 2018
Greta Gerwig could be a very good director soon, but i doubt she will be a good screenwriter in the close future. The plot of the movie is full of cliches about teenagers badly executed. So we have the popular mean girl, the fatty loser, theGreta Gerwig could be a very good director soon, but i doubt she will be a good screenwriter in the close future. The plot of the movie is full of cliches about teenagers badly executed. So we have the popular mean girl, the fatty loser, the gay dude with intrest in theater, the edgy anti capitalistic kid and so on. Everything seems fake. Expand
auburnnJun 12, 2018
I just did not get the point that Ms. Gerwig, a middle-class white woman who comes from Sacramento, CA and who actually graduated from Barnard College, a small liberal arts college in NYC, wrote and directed this play. It seems likeI just did not get the point that Ms. Gerwig, a middle-class white woman who comes from Sacramento, CA and who actually graduated from Barnard College, a small liberal arts college in NYC, wrote and directed this play. It seems like narcissist--and even more narcissist when all the middle-class white film critic favored this movie. What is that? A tribute to your high school memory? People acclaim this film for being real, but I just did not know how is that real. Only real for a middle-class white girl. Oh she comes from California, she dreams about NYC, she looks pretty, she has the most adorable extracurricular activity, she **** with the most popular boy in her school, so what? All I see is privilege, not universal reality. I highly doubt if any film critic in favor of this has saw A Raisin in the Sun. Beneatha is a self-centered college girl, which is super like Lady Bird. But Beneatha is not the protagonist of A Raisin in the Sun, which reflects the hopeless living condition of African American community in 60s. Moreover, in A Raisin in the Sun, the Youngers have more difficulties, and they can barely find a solution. I think that's what makes a great work of literature--you survive and find faith in a hopeless place. To be honest, what difficulty does Lady Bird have? Has she grown? What happened in the end of the film is not growth, but what we call betrayal of your older self. Expand
Mo76akFeb 18, 2018
Im afraid I cant make contact with this movie. I dont get the reason of this top grade in Meta.However the film attracted me to watch it to the end,but lots of scenes was boring and not new.By skimming some critics we can understand someIm afraid I cant make contact with this movie. I dont get the reason of this top grade in Meta.However the film attracted me to watch it to the end,but lots of scenes was boring and not new.By skimming some critics we can understand some positive aspects of the movie.For example ,The complication of the "LADY BIRD" character has been worked so carefully and on details.Most of performances are amazing,specially Lady birds parents.But I cant understand the necessity of some characters existence for example "the Asian brother" and his wierd friend.Totally I dont find it an enjoyable film and I dont see anything special in the story at all.Maybe Im not smart enough or I should learn more about American culture. Expand
ErramilFeb 24, 2018
What the flux is wrong with reviews these days? I watched this because it was claimed to be the best hit of the year, but ended up being a slightly enjoyable movie. Is not that bad, but it's far far away from good to be at the oscars. Come on.