6.6

1. Aug 17, 2012
    I've said my personal opinion of M. Night Shyamalan's movies. The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs are personally my favorite's from him. But his movies started to get to bland, boring, and silly. This film....is unbelievably boring. The plot is boring, the characters are boring, the dialogue is boring, THIS MOVIE IS BORING!!! I can't remember one thing about this movie with falling asleep.
  2. Mar 3, 2012
    Another step in the rapid implosion of Shyamalan's career. After Unbreakable, Signs (not bad but only so-so), The Village, The Happening, this awful mess, The Last Airbender and Devil (even if it's just his name slapped on it, he's gotta take some credit for it), I don't expect to be hearing much more of this one-hit-wonder again.
  3. Mar 9, 2013
    This film should be retitled "Forgetting M. Night Shyamalan."
  4. Apr 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I consider it a minor miracle I actually stayed awake for the entirety of this movie. Questions arise within the viewer that M. Night never seemed to consider: Why does the eagle-creature not come earlier in the story? Do these Scrunts prey upon its kind? Wherefore the negligible character development? Why and how does the kid engage in divination with **** cereal boxes? And of course, why did M. Night cast himself as the indirect savior of humanity? I’ll come clean: I had never actually seen any of his other movies before this one, so I’m rating all his other films more cautiously as a rule.

The correct adjective for this would be SOPORIFIC.

I would give this movie 1/10 only, but it does get an extra point for predicting America’s future president as being a Midwestern orator, and two years and change after this movie was released, guess who…

1. Shyamalan does project genuine menace and suspense into this mundane location, especially in nighttime scenes. But the magic that would transport you from reality into fantasy is missing.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    A ponderous, self-indulgent bedtime tale. Awkwardly positioned, this gloomy gothic fantasy falls well short of horror.
  3. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    What's odd about Lady in the Water is that for all Shyamalan's histrionics, he's overcontrolled.