Paramount Pictures | Release Date: June 15, 2001
6.0
Mixed or average reviews based on 187 Ratings
WATCH NOW
grandpajoe6191Sep 24, 2011
I recommend playing the game rather than watching the movie. It's better.
MovieLonely94Oct 24, 2010
a boring piece of crap
KadeemluvmusicAug 9, 2012
I love Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. Now that's what a good video game movie is all about. I know critics are still feeling the hatred of video game movies affecting Hollywood. Take a look at Tomb Raider: a good, successful, film franchise that'sI love Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. Now that's what a good video game movie is all about. I know critics are still feeling the hatred of video game movies affecting Hollywood. Take a look at Tomb Raider: a good, successful, film franchise that's still holding on after all these years and now a reboot is in the works. Although the sequel look a little decent, but I gotta give it up to Ms. Angelina Jolie. She is a phenomenal action star in her own right, marries with Brad Pitt, and of course, she still has the look of a role model. Playing Lara Croft in the movie is just too easy for me to say, but she definitely nailed it. I played all of the Tomb Raider video games, and the original game on PS1 may sorta a lot different than the movie. I really don't trust movie critics and I don't even care what those metascores might say, but can't they get a good and positive reaction, already. Expand
cameronmorewoodNov 12, 2012
Angelina Jolie running around in tight clothes and carrying a gun isn't enough entrainment for me, but, for some, it will be. I'm not saying that's a good quality for them; I'm just saying I think there's a method to the madness of thisAngelina Jolie running around in tight clothes and carrying a gun isn't enough entrainment for me, but, for some, it will be. I'm not saying that's a good quality for them; I'm just saying I think there's a method to the madness of this preposterous thing. Expand
christiansAug 8, 2009
Angelina Jolie is a perfect Lara Croft and the film is a lot of fun. as for it's sequel, skip it.
HadynW.Nov 9, 2005
Better than i expected, but seeing as i expected to be absolute rubbish that isn't saying much...so so i suppose if you like a bit of cambodia and running around shooting people.
JaredC.Jul 29, 2007
A fun-thrilled short flick, the ending is stylishly fantasized. The drama is engaging and explains enough character build-up to have an actual action-packed movie with cool stunts. And thats it, finally a movie worth it, only on rental A fun-thrilled short flick, the ending is stylishly fantasized. The drama is engaging and explains enough character build-up to have an actual action-packed movie with cool stunts. And thats it, finally a movie worth it, only on rental though, its not a theatre movie. Expand
PennyK.Oct 14, 2001
This movie was the best. I am the biggest Angelina Jolie fan. I give the movie two thumps up. Angelina Jolie rocks as Lara Croft. She shood make a second. I will certainly go see it.
JJReyesSep 22, 2005
This is a very intersting movie. It is aprearant that much work was put into it and the results are phenomenal. Angelina Jolie fits the part for Lara Croft quite nicely. It is as if she was born to play the roll of Lara.
SeanB.Jul 17, 2001
Ahhhhh!!!!! One of the most disappointing movies that I've seen. I'm usually not so hard on any movies, but this is an exception in my book. The only time I was happy was when it was over.
RMC.Jul 19, 2001
Hey, what were you expecting? Its got solid FX, action, and enough story to keep you engaged.
MattM.Jul 27, 2001
An outrageously silly film that relies on shoddy special effects to carry it along. Angelina Jolie is the only good thing about the film. The plot is mind-numbingly awful. Overall, it's just another bad summer popcorn fest.
JavierF.Nov 25, 2008
I swear, most of the "professional" critics that watched this movie are completely messed up in the head and should be "taken out back and shot," as one of the ignorant critics puts it. This movie was actually pretty good and probably the I swear, most of the "professional" critics that watched this movie are completely messed up in the head and should be "taken out back and shot," as one of the ignorant critics puts it. This movie was actually pretty good and probably the best game to movie production yet. You critics no NOTHING about movies. Get a life. Please. Expand
StevenFMay 3, 2013
I don't know if it was the silly young kid inside me, or my love for the particular video game franchise, but after watching this again almost 12 years after its release...I still love this film, but mainly only for Lara Croft herself, playedI don't know if it was the silly young kid inside me, or my love for the particular video game franchise, but after watching this again almost 12 years after its release...I still love this film, but mainly only for Lara Croft herself, played by Angelina Jolie.
Let's be honest, this was a bad film, the characters were far too fictitious and unbelievable, the special effects were unnecessarily muddled and at times senseless, and there were enough continuity errors to put the Carry On films to shame, but I still find the ridiculousness of it all quite intriguing and enjoyable.
So because back at the start of the millennium origin stories weren't in fashion, we kick off with Lara training in her massive mansion, she then begins to remember her father as it is coming up to the anniversary of his death, but there is also the matter of the planetary alignment which as it so happens is coming up a time when a clock Lara finds can be fitted into a certain lock that will reveal pieces of the Triangle of Light, an artefact with powers to control time, oh yeah and this only happens every 5000 years, so its quite a big deal.
Lara suits up in her tightly clad outfits and unexplained-as-to-where-her-gadgets-and-stuff-came-from accessories to challenge a man, Manfred Powell (yeah, really) who is a member of the Illuminati, a secret organisation intent on using the triangle of course to control time, but why they are doing this is anyones guess, but I could care less, its still a good movie to watch.
The plot is of course riddled with ridiculousness to the point that you need to realise that this is a video game adaption, and while that doesn't do the games any justice, it certainly covers the extensive action sequences, while impressive, used a slow motion technique which was just downright annoying.
Angelina Jolie is on fine form as Lady Croft, she plays the part expertly with her toned physique and her little sexual grunts that make Lara famous. Iain Glen puts an erratic yet enjoyable performance as Powell, while Daniel Craig plays another Tomb Raider.
If you can put aside the baffling plot and flamboyant characters, and sit down to enjoy the movie for its worth, its a winner, it won't leave you gobsmacked or emotionally unstable, but it should certainly give you a few laughs for its light humour and decent lead performance.
ThegodfathersonMay 19, 2013
What's a sure fire way to make money off of the raging hormones of teenage boys? Sell them video games with bodacious big breasted babes. The Tomb Raider games are a hit and its no mystery why. For all those same reasons, it's just as likelyWhat's a sure fire way to make money off of the raging hormones of teenage boys? Sell them video games with bodacious big breasted babes. The Tomb Raider games are a hit and its no mystery why. For all those same reasons, it's just as likely that a movie based on the game will rake in the cash as well. Fortunately for the franchise, the film doesn't actually need to be any good to make tons of the gorgeous green. The real problem is that Tomb Raider doesn't even TRY to become more than its video game ancestor. Had there been some sort of attempt to break the bonds of videogamedome and elevate the film to the level of cinematic spectacle, Tomb Raider might have turned into a summer movie to get excited about. However, rather than make that attempt, its director appears more interested in making a Tomb Raider homage. Expand
ardania22Apr 20, 2014
The problem with Tomb Raider, in my opinion, is that it isn't a movie- it's one long video game that plays itself. Don't get me wrong, the action is entertaining and the dialogue has some wit. But a movie can't rely on video game aestheticsThe problem with Tomb Raider, in my opinion, is that it isn't a movie- it's one long video game that plays itself. Don't get me wrong, the action is entertaining and the dialogue has some wit. But a movie can't rely on video game aesthetics and action to carry the day. It needs characters you can connect to, a story that keeps you involved, and it has to be careful around cliches. A video game is primarily about being immersed in the experience and controlling it, and that's why the Tomb Raider games worked. You had fun controlling an ass-kicking heroine. But the movie doesn't add anything to the video-game formula, and so you're just left with a movie where you wish you were holding a controller, shaping the action yourself. The plot is pure cheese, cliches abound, and Lara gives us nothing that makes us want to root for her besides looking sexy- and that's not enough for a movie to soar. Expand
ZuqolynOct 2, 2014
It was... painful to watch this. All there is that stands out about "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" is Angelina herself, her overblown acting and meaningless combat scenes.
Duke_NukemOct 6, 2015
Style over substance, anyone?

Style over substance, anyone?

This could have been a great movie, based on a great game... but it's not! Making Angelina Jolie grunt and sigh like Lara Croft is not enough to make a good movie. It might be enough to make pubertal young boys get excited, but true Tomb Raider fans wont be pleased at all.

The movie does not bring back the memories of the game. The game is all about adventure, exotic exploration... just like the movie Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. But this movie doesn't deliver any tension or feeling of adventure.

It seems the makers of this movie had no fantasy at all and only tried to deliver some nice images and not much of a story. It's like someone said: it doesn't feel like a movie but like a video game playing itself.

The only good about this movie is Angelina Jolie in the shower, at least they didn't totally waste our time for 100 mins.
MostFairCriticOct 9, 2015
Best movie game ever made. Lara is amazing, she's badass, she's rich, she's beautiful and most importantly, she's portrayed by Angelina Jolie, who fits the role perfectly. If you're a fan of classic movies, Indiana Jones and Tomb Raider,Best movie game ever made. Lara is amazing, she's badass, she's rich, she's beautiful and most importantly, she's portrayed by Angelina Jolie, who fits the role perfectly. If you're a fan of classic movies, Indiana Jones and Tomb Raider, you'll definitely enjoy this ;) Away with them haters! Expand
perkjlJan 8, 2016
The film is a guilty pleasure for someone like myself who enjoyed the games growing up. While the film is flawed it's still rather enjoyable and features beautiful scenery from Cambodia, Iceland, Venice, and England. Some of the set piecesThe film is a guilty pleasure for someone like myself who enjoyed the games growing up. While the film is flawed it's still rather enjoyable and features beautiful scenery from Cambodia, Iceland, Venice, and England. Some of the set pieces are spectacular as well! At times some of the scenes feel ripped from Raiders of the Lost Ark, Die Hard or a 007 film, but the clich├ęs work because the viewers eyes will always be on Angelina Jolie and her portrayal of Lara Croft. True fans will notice some similarities between the film & the games on Sony's PlayStation. Expand
KingofdanerdsNov 22, 2016
This is one of the best video game movies that have watched so far. This gets us to know more about Lara than what we know already. I honestly have no complaints about this movie at all. 10/10
fadithebeastJan 19, 2017
Disappointed by the movie. Was expecting much much more. The movie could have been good but there were so many problems with the plots and the overall direction of the movie. The overall execution was terrible and it was a boring mess withDisappointed by the movie. Was expecting much much more. The movie could have been good but there were so many problems with the plots and the overall direction of the movie. The overall execution was terrible and it was a boring mess with not even half way through the movie. Expand
ammeooJan 20, 2017
This movie was an utter disappointment for me. The plots were not properly executed, there were many loopholes and the story was boring to be honest. The problem with these commercial films is that their whole purpose is to make money out ofThis movie was an utter disappointment for me. The plots were not properly executed, there were many loopholes and the story was boring to be honest. The problem with these commercial films is that their whole purpose is to make money out of amateur movie goers rather than make something that should critically make sense. Expand