5.8

1. Sep 24, 2011
    I recommend playing the game rather than watching the movie. It's better.
  2. Nov 12, 2012
    Angelina Jolie running around in tight clothes and carrying a gun isn't enough entrainment for me, but, for some, it will be. I'm not saying that's a good quality for them; I'm just saying I think there's a method to the madness of this preposterous thing.
  3. May 19, 2013
    What's a sure fire way to make money off of the raging hormones of teenage boys? Sell them video games with bodacious big breasted babes. The Tomb Raider games are a hit and its no mystery why. For all those same reasons, it's just as likely that a movie based on the game will rake in the cash as well. Fortunately for the franchise, the film doesn't actually need to be any good to make tons of the gorgeous green. The real problem is that Tomb Raider doesn't even TRY to become more than its video game ancestor. Had there been some sort of attempt to break the bonds of videogamedome and elevate the film to the level of cinematic spectacle, Tomb Raider might have turned into a summer movie to get excited about. However, rather than make that attempt, its director appears more interested in making a Tomb Raider homage. Collapse
  4. Apr 20, 2014
    The problem with Tomb Raider, in my opinion, is that it isn't a movie- it's one long video game that plays itself. Don't get me wrong, the action is entertaining and the dialogue has some wit. But a movie can't rely on video game aesthetics and action to carry the day. It needs characters you can connect to, a story that keeps you involved, and it has to be careful around cliches. A video game is primarily about being immersed in the experience and controlling it, and that's why the Tomb Raider games worked. You had fun controlling an ass-kicking heroine. But the movie doesn't add anything to the video-game formula, and so you're just left with a movie where you wish you were holding a controller, shaping the action yourself. The plot is pure cheese, cliches abound, and Lara gives us nothing that makes us want to root for her besides looking sexy- and that's not enough for a movie to soar. Expand

1. It is the perfect modern product: loud, banal, empty, frenzied, plasticized, flavorless, drab, violent in a bloodless way and sexy in a sexless way.
    The effects are cheesy, the photography is murky, the sets look like leftovers from a Las Vegas stage spectacular -- and the flick appears to have been edited with a roulette wheel.
  3. I realize fantasy-based action movies aren't supposed to be as complex as William Gibson's novels. But do they have to be this simple-minded?