5.9

1. JohnO.
    Nov 18, 2003
    The director of this movie seems to think that a movie only needs dungeons and action. Because that's the only things this movie has to offer. It's full of cliches, the plot is unoriginal, and you need to poke yourself in the eye every five minutes to not fall asleep. This game is for Lara Croft addicts only.
  2. Ron
    Oct 5, 2001
    Jo was hot but the movie sucked.
  3. RobertF.
    Aug 10, 2001
    For Angelina addicts only.
  4. KianM.
    Jul 5, 2001
    They spent too long painfully trying to produce some semblance of a storyline. That should be removed as it is the most cumbersome part of this movie.
  5. SeanB.
    Jul 17, 2001
    Ahhhhh!!!!! One of the most disappointing movies that I've seen. I'm usually not so hard on any movies, but this is an exception in my book. The only time I was happy was when it was over.
  6. SeanB.
    Jul 17, 2001
  7. MattM.
    Jul 27, 2001
    An outrageously silly film that relies on shoddy special effects to carry it along. Angelina Jolie is the only good thing about the film. The plot is mind-numbingly awful. Overall, it's just another bad summer popcorn fest.
  8. May 19, 2013
    What's a sure fire way to make money off of the raging hormones of teenage boys? Sell them video games with bodacious big breasted babes. The Tomb Raider games are a hit and its no mystery why. For all those same reasons, it's just as likely that a movie based on the game will rake in the cash as well. Fortunately for the franchise, the film doesn't actually need to be any good to makeWhat's a sure fire way to make money off of the raging hormones of teenage boys? Sell them video games with bodacious big breasted babes. The Tomb Raider games are a hit and its no mystery why. For all those same reasons, it's just as likely that a movie based on the game will rake in the cash as well. Fortunately for the franchise, the film doesn't actually need to be any good to make tons of the gorgeous green. The real problem is that Tomb Raider doesn't even TRY to become more than its video game ancestor. Had there been some sort of attempt to break the bonds of videogamedome and elevate the film to the level of cinematic spectacle, Tomb Raider might have turned into a summer movie to get excited about. However, rather than make that attempt, its director appears more interested in making a Tomb Raider homage. Expand
  9. Apr 20, 2014
    The problem with Tomb Raider, in my opinion, is that it isn't a movie- it's one long video game that plays itself. Don't get me wrong, the action is entertaining and the dialogue has some wit. But a movie can't rely on video game aesthetics and action to carry the day. It needs characters you can connect to, a story that keeps you involved, and it has to be careful around cliches. A videoThe problem with Tomb Raider, in my opinion, is that it isn't a movie- it's one long video game that plays itself. Don't get me wrong, the action is entertaining and the dialogue has some wit. But a movie can't rely on video game aesthetics and action to carry the day. It needs characters you can connect to, a story that keeps you involved, and it has to be careful around cliches. A video game is primarily about being immersed in the experience and controlling it, and that's why the Tomb Raider games worked. You had fun controlling an ass-kicking heroine. But the movie doesn't add anything to the video-game formula, and so you're just left with a movie where you wish you were holding a controller, shaping the action yourself. The plot is pure cheese, cliches abound, and Lara gives us nothing that makes us want to root for her besides looking sexy- and that's not enough for a movie to soar. Expand
  10. Oct 2, 2014
    It was... painful to watch this. All there is that stands out about "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" is Angelina herself, her overblown acting and meaningless combat scenes.

1. It is the perfect modern product: loud, banal, empty, frenzied, plasticized, flavorless, drab, violent in a bloodless way and sexy in a sexless way.
    The effects are cheesy, the photography is murky, the sets look like leftovers from a Las Vegas stage spectacular -- and the flick appears to have been edited with a roulette wheel.
  3. I realize fantasy-based action movies aren't supposed to be as complex as William Gibson's novels. But do they have to be this simple-minded?