5.8

1. Jul 5, 2011
    This was a sweet, uplifting, optimistic movie, well-cast and well-acted. It could perhaps have been a little more dynamic, but it was entertaining, and I could believe that Tom Hanks would get the girl :)
  2. Jul 2, 2011
    This is a fun, and in a way inspiring movie. It doesn't try to make any statements, or to be something bigger than it is. It is charming with friendships and people rallying around each other. It is fun to see how one guy can help a classroom come alive. It is fun to see how diverse people can accept and support someone just by liking and serving them. Something doesn't have to make some deep point to be great fun and charming. Tom is an incredibly likable guy and changes the world by making people feel better by seeing him. Expand
  3. Jul 3, 2011
    This movie doesn't have giant robots. There are no dinosaurs. There aren't even any big sharks. If you're looking for these, you're in the wrong theatre. Go back and ask the ticket taker where you should be. There is no spectacle, because this is a movie for adults. There are just ordinary characters struggling to make sense of the curve balls life has thrown them. It's a comedy so no one struggles to mightily, but Tom Hanks looks quite nice in his jeans, thank you, provided by one of his new community college cohorts. But what makes him sexy, really sexy? Not the buns as on the throwaway "post-feminist" character of Carly Spencer in Transformers who does less in her role than women having been doing in movies since movies began. What makes him really sexy? He's a genteman. He can keep a secret. And that, just that quiet thing and the things like it are what make this movie tick. The bots are in Theatre 7 and 8 and 9, but Larry is right at home. Expand
  4. Jul 1, 2011
    Delightful movie. Against the super hero movies, this movie was real, believable and fun to watch. It made me (and the theatre goers) laugh out loud, be moved and connect to the characters. Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts talented as always as were the rest of the cast. Worth seeing.
  5. Jul 9, 2011
    I kept a smile on my face throughout this movie. While not as bombastic and in-your-face as some of the summer fare this year, this movie is soft, heartwarming, and inspiring. I found myself pondering taking a class or two and wishing I had the kind of courage that Lance..err Larry has. I also thought that this movie belonged under something like the Fox Searchlight banner as it is of the same charming vein as several smaller independent films that I can recall seeing in recent times. The soundtrack of Tom Petty and ELO songs really got me going, as well. There are a myriad of excellent casting choices made in this film. I think you could do far, far worse than an afternoon or evening spent with Larry Crowne and friends. In fact, I'd wager to bet that you might just walk out of this movie savoring life just a wee bit more. Expand
  6. Jul 1, 2011
    Wonderful entertainment. Refreshing and fun in a world of doom and gloom. I loved it! The story is relavent, down to earth and speaks to today's populations. The stars and costars are delightful and talented. A must see.
  7. Jul 10, 2011
    Two hours of entertainment without bad language, car chases, sex, guns...and you leave the theatre feeling good, having had a few laughs along the way. That is rare in this day and age. It may not be the best movie you see this year but it sure beats most of the super hero, toys gone bad, one joke wonders playing as it's competition.
  8. Jul 2, 2011
    I do not understand how anyone can give this movie a zero. A zero means that it has no aspects that a moviegoer would like.One good performance or a couple of good scenes constitute at least 3-5 points.
  9. Jan 22, 2012
    My wife & I sat through this - and agreed it is one of the worst movies we have ever seen! Shame on Tom Hanks for producing such a piece of garbage.
  10. Sep 30, 2013
    I found this film really funny and sweet. The actors were brilliantly chosen and you had such a great feeling from Tom Hanks character. His outlook was so positive and optimistic it was a joy to watch. It wasn't overly predictable and left you with a lovely feeling. It was a definite surprise.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Jul 7, 2011
    Larry Crowne is more than a missed opportunity. It's alarmingly, depressingly out of touch.
  2. Reviewed by: Rex Reed
    Jul 5, 2011
    Congenial is the word for Larry Crowne, but it's as flat as an ironing board.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 4, 2011
    Larry Crowne is worryingly light on laughs, yet it never dares to worry too much about the plight of its central figure. [11 & 18 July 2011, p.100]