8.1

1. Mar 23, 2011

Talk about a weird concept for a movie. If you don't know of this movie, basically it's about a guy who legitimately falls in love with a doll. I know, told you it's weird. But what seems to be a weird, gimmicky, and even stupid movie, actually turns out to be something quite nice. The movie delves deeper into the

The movie delves deeper into the storyline than just guy falls in love with a doll and goes into territories of family issues, ignored love interests, mental illness, and support for one another. This movie sure does pack a punch and you will find yourself feeling the same emotions as the main character.

Overall this movie is a weird concept but things like this have happened so it's not that far fetched, and for what it is this movie sure does it well.
  2. Aug 9, 2011
    Gosling once again proves that he's one of the greatest actors of his generation.He's equally subtle and charming in this funny,touching and rewarding movie.It's undoubtedly a risky premise and yet it never fails to move and amuse it's audience.It's a portrait of a quiet and lonely man that finds happiness in a blow-up doll.The script is very strong and the characters are completely believable.
  3. Jan 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. All in all, the cast's execution of this thin and tenuous plot was excellent. That is the sole reason I stayed for the whole ride, and the reason I feel a negative score would be unjustified. Far too many scenes were utterly implausible, i.e. the willingness of a paramedic team to play along with a man's self-willed delusion that his plastic ball-and-chain was dying to free him of commitment. Surely, the dispatched EMTs would be furious to find their resources thinned by a case of make-believe illness, but instead they rush the doll to the hospital and provide her with a room.

Through the entire run, there was one passing attempt to go against Lars' delusion, early in the film. It was of no consequence. In the end, an elaborate funeral service packed with attendees and ending in the burial of a plastic girl was somehow deemed plausible, and Lars showed no signs of realization of his delusions. He simply moved on as quickly as possible to develop a relationship with the flesh and blood girl he willed his imaginary girlfriend to death in favor of. Netflix called this film a comedy, but I have to disagree. Though some humor found its way in, especially toward the beginning, the film took it upon itself to venture too far into psychological and heartfelt territory as a means of legitimizing the concept of Lars' mental illness, a means that was less than effective.
  4. Jun 5, 2012
    From a brief summary of the film â
  5. Jun 9, 2012
    From a brief summary of the film â
  6. Aug 24, 2014
    By its end, one of the most satisfying films ever made. Lars and the Real Girl is certainly a modern oddity - with feelings we all possess and share. Ryan Gosling vividly portrays a character which we grow to love and care for deeply, despite any peculiarity. It's blasphemy to not have given Gosling that Oscar nomination.
  7. Apr 1, 2014
    Heart touching. Sweet. Uplifting. Ryan Gosling gives an incredible performance as Lars, an emotionally stunted man who deep down is dying to connect with the people around him. I hardly watch movies twice, but I've seen this one more than 5X, and catch myself smiling through out. It's sheer perfection.
  8. Jan 8, 2013
    At first I saw a commercial for this that looked like a new fashioned comedy. It could not be farther from that. Ryan Gosling proves why everybody likes him. When the therapist puts her hands on him I couldn't even handle it.
  9. Jan 5, 2014
    Quirky story about how sometimes we need a little "make-believe" to help ease us into what can be a scary real-world. Very likable characters and made you feel good about humanity.
  10. Dec 6, 2014
    An emotional roller coaster into the world of a "special" person. Beautifully weird. Exceptionally strong. As it cultivates hope and miracle to happen throughout the film.

When a movie about a guy who orders a sex doll off the Internet can turn vice into virtue, something miraculous has occurred. Lars and the Real Girl achieves that kind of miracle.
  2. By movie's end, it seems like the only one giving a truly genuine performance is Bianca. Mouth-agape, steadfastly mum.
  3. A gentle comedy, offbeat but never cute, never lewd and never going for shortcut laughs that might diminish character.