Layer Cake

8.9

1. cafegogoc.
    May 15, 2005
    It's just "okay." You've seen this before - perhaps not as well acted - but there's nothing especially new here.
  2. MarcK.
    Jul 6, 2005
    I'll have to agree with Shawn Levy of the Portland Oregonian. The movie was far too impressed with itself, and just became more and more convoluted as the film wore on. If I ever rent it on DVD, I'm going to switch on the English subtitles, so I can figure out what some of those characters with the strong accents were actually saying.
  3. PaulF.
    Jul 20, 2005
    If you can solve the rubics cube in 30 seconds or less you might be able to keep up with this movie, personally I found it rathering confusing. For this I deduct whopping two points. I also lop off another point for a surprising but flawed ending. I left the teather thinking why did I bother seeing this movie. Well it did have a few redeeming qualities such as better than decent acting If you can solve the rubics cube in 30 seconds or less you might be able to keep up with this movie, personally I found it rathering confusing. For this I deduct whopping two points. I also lop off another point for a surprising but flawed ending. I left the teather thinking why did I bother seeing this movie. Well it did have a few redeeming qualities such as better than decent acting and good cinematography. But ultimately it lacked shen or spirit. It's an undescribable quality that a movie has or does not. This movie unfortunately did not so I take another point for this making this movie a 6 out of ten. It's really too bad because this movie could have been really good if they but just put a bit more thought into it. Rent it but save your 8 bucks or however much it costs in your area. We have a $1.50 movie theater an hour a way. It might be worth that. P.S. Usually critics are too harsh on movies this time they went the other direction but only by a point so I can't rag on them too much this time. Expand
  4. JeffJ.
    Aug 2, 2005
    Too clever by half. While this movie is well crafted, with excellent acting, etc., it ultimately defeats itself by having about five too many plot twists -- and endings. I enjoyed most of it, but ended up leaving the theater feeling pissed off.
  5. HenryW
    Dec 18, 2005
    It's got a good level of ambience but it feels far too smug. The plot seems to have been Snatched from Carlito's Way as well.
  6. ZigmundZ.
    Apr 14, 2006
    Failed to grab me in the first ten minutes, which is always a bad sign. Scorsese or Tarantino wannabe. Craig is excellent, but, my God, we've seen this before, done much better. Film has a feel of trying really hard to be outrageous and irreverantly shocking, but just comes off as being mundane and boring. Watch Trainspotting or Reservoir Dogs again, you'll be better off.

The writing is crisp and deeply layered, and the filmmakers gave themselves a rich array of actors to work with.
  2. Smartly put together, with interesting characters and caustic wit.
    There's a proper lived-in believability about Layer Cake's depiction of how the worlds of the rich, the criminal and the criminally rich intersect.