6.8

1. Mar 17, 2014
    You know how they say a movie can grow on you ? Well, they are right. This movie grew so that I ended up despising it. So boring and pretentious it was, with nothing to say. It was hard to hear (low sound). It was hard to look out, even with gorgeous Paris in the background. I don’t care what the critics say, this movie was a zero for me.
  2. Mar 30, 2014
    LE-WEEKEND truly aspires for depth and relevance but ultimately falls into the easy cliches that we associate with the typical Hollywood RomCom. This is a film that ultimately feels false and forced. You'll never believe for a minute that these two boomers played by Jim Broadbent and Lindsay Duncan have been in the same room together let alone married for over 30 years. As the film plods along from obvious plot point to obvious plot point, director Roger Michell and writer Hanif Kureishi try very hard to makes us believe how "genuine" this all is but their talents prevent them from adding any true insight. LE-WEEKEND is actually more frustrating than a RomCom because it is never engaging, witty or charming, just false at every turn. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jun 20, 2014
    Michell's is a film with somewhere to go -- and that journey is one well worth taking.
  2. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Apr 2, 2014
    Director Roger Michell and his frequent writer Hanif Kureishi (their last film together was Venus) regularly dance to the very cliff’s edge of despair, and only for the grace of good casting do you not wish they’d just jump and get it over with.
  3. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Mar 27, 2014
    Director Roger Michell ("Notting Hill") has the good sense to step back and let Broadbent and Duncan work their magic on Hanif Kureishi's script. They don't disappoint.