Filmcoopi Zürich | Release Date: April 6, 2018
7.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 14 Ratings
Watch Now
TVJerryMay 4, 2018
What appears to be the story of a boy and a horse turns into more, as it follows him on a search for connection. Charlie Plummer (who was the kidnapped Getty in All the Money in the World) is in virtually every frame of this film. HisWhat appears to be the story of a boy and a horse turns into more, as it follows him on a search for connection. Charlie Plummer (who was the kidnapped Getty in All the Money in the World) is in virtually every frame of this film. His innocent vulnerability and subtlety of emotion bodes well for his future in Hollywood. He's touchingly compelling. Even though the narrative might strain credibility a bit, every part is well-acted and the quietly-paced quest is directed with sensitivity without ever being sentimental. Expand
GreatMartinMay 3, 2018
What could be more ‘Hollywood’ than a film about a boy and his horse? Well “Lean On Pete” is not Hollywood but a film directed and written by British Andrew Haigh and just about an hour into the film you will jump out of your seat or gasp asWhat could be more ‘Hollywood’ than a film about a boy and his horse? Well “Lean On Pete” is not Hollywood but a film directed and written by British Andrew Haigh and just about an hour into the film you will jump out of your seat or gasp as loud as you ever have in a theatre.

The film starts off with Charley (Charlie Plummer) running in the morning in Portland, Oregon, where he and his father Ray (Travis Fimmel) have recently moved from Spokane, Washington.

Charley is a 15-year-old boy waiting for school to start so he can play football though it is hard to picture him as a player being thin and almost gangly. He only remembers his mother from a picture and his father is more of an acting high school kid than his son is. Charley remembers his aunt, a maternal figure, who, because of his father, they have become estranged.

The first hour of the movie shows Charley running and seeing a billboard about a racetrack and he goes there one day and meets horse owner Del (Steve Buscemi) who owns some racing horses and gives Charley a job helping out. The racetrack that Del runs a few of his horses are third rate just as his horses are but they are no better or worse than the ones they are running against. It is here where he meets veteran jockey Bonnie (Chloe Sevigny) who advises him that these horses are not pets. He also meets the horse, Lean On Pete, who Del is ready to give up on and sell.

In Lean On Pete Charley finds a friend that he can talk to, tell all he wants from life and what he has had and hasn’t had and when a series of incidences take place both for the boy and the horse the boy decides to save him. He, also, decides to look for his aunt.

Though the first hour of the film is easy going it is also realistic showing people living a real life, being poor, trying to survive and lives ruined by poor choices or not having opportunities to better themselves and accepting their lot in life.

The second hour of the film takes a completely different turn starting from the event that is referred to in the first paragraph. At times it is difficult to watch but never less than realistic just as the interchange between Charley and an abused granddaughter, though brief, is memorable or the one where a waitress becomes his heroine and many other intimate but fleeting moments between him and people will make you smile, feel sad and all emotions that a boy lost in a world he doesn’t know feels.

The remarkable performance by Charlie Plummer gathers a tremendous amount of empathy from the audience as it feels true and you want this boy to be a winner.

There isn’t a false note from anyone in the cast and this picture is probably not the one you expected to see walking in but, by the end, you will be glad you saw it.
moviemitch96Apr 28, 2018
This film genuinely touched and moved me in a way no other film has in quite a while! At first glance, it may appear to be a relatively straightforward "boy and his horse" type story, but really it's so much more. It's also a subtle, yetThis film genuinely touched and moved me in a way no other film has in quite a while! At first glance, it may appear to be a relatively straightforward "boy and his horse" type story, but really it's so much more. It's also a subtle, yet brutally honest statement and look at poverty and trying to get by every day little by little in America. Charlie Plummer graces us with such a raw and unflinching performance as well and proves himself to be a true up and coming talent! Overall, it's one heavy film, but it also has a lot to say and manages to be both poignant and highly moving all at the same time! Expand
nosajholtApr 30, 2018
Charlie Plummer reminded me of a vulnerable River Phoenix in My Own Private Idaho. The depth of despair and scary moments living on the streets in America was profound, and deeply moving. Beautifully filmed, it was an epic journey, withCharlie Plummer reminded me of a vulnerable River Phoenix in My Own Private Idaho. The depth of despair and scary moments living on the streets in America was profound, and deeply moving. Beautifully filmed, it was an epic journey, with sweeping views of Eastern Washington's desert, and the streets of Portland and other Northwest towns. It showed how easy it can be for children to be left behind, left on the streets, slip from the system into homelessness. Charlie Plummer deserves an Oscar nod with this stellar and moving performance. Expand
The3AcademySinsApr 17, 2018
Lean on Pete is a powerful epic of a film. Lean on Pete is more of a commentary of being poor/homeless in rural America than a "boy and his horse" story. The harrowing depictions of the poor, the beautiful desolation of the land, and theLean on Pete is a powerful epic of a film. Lean on Pete is more of a commentary of being poor/homeless in rural America than a "boy and his horse" story. The harrowing depictions of the poor, the beautiful desolation of the land, and the amazing performance by Charlie Plummer are all captured by masterful cinematography and truly breathtaking direction. I believe A24 makes some of the best films in Hollywood these days, and Lean on Pete is another impressive notch on their belt. The film is a little more than two hours long, but it'll leave you on the edge of your seat. Expand
Jordy1128May 31, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I found this to be a horribly disappointing experience. I thought this was about a boy and a horse saving each other but halfway through the movie the horse was killed. I regret the time I spent watching it. As soon as Pete was killed, I stopped watching the movie. Maybe I'm just not a people person, but after the horse's brutal death, I could care less what happened to the boy. This movie was misleading. I had nothing to do with the two saving each other. The horse is brutally killed despite the young boy's efforts to save him. Why didn't he just leave him on the ranch he stopped at and let the rest of the movie focus on Charlie? I just found it too painful too watch. Expand