Castle Hill Productions | Release Date: September 22, 2000
6.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 12 Ratings
Watch Now
Tomas6tbhMar 3, 2015
It was the first time I saw a movie about Jewish people and their lifestyle. In my opinion it wasn’t a bad movie. The movie gives a good indication how Orthodox Jews live and how it looks in a Jewish district.
In the beginning of the movie
In the beginning of the movie we have a flashback, from before World War II. Where Chaja’s father buries two suitcases.
The story takes place in 1972 in Antwerp. Chaja’s father has started searching for his suitcases. And Chaja’s looking for a job. She comes to the Jewish family Kalman via an advertisement. Where she starts cleaning the house. She also babysits the 4 year old Simcha who never talked to his family before. She takes him to the pond to feed the ducks. Suddenly he says quack quack. This is personally my best moment of the movie. The two build up va strong relationship and Simcha starts talking to his own family. The moment Chaja isn’t babysitting, Simcha runs away and drowns in the pond. That’s the saddest moment of the movie. When Chaja’s hears about the news that Simcha is dead she goes to his family but she isn’t welcome by other Jews.
At the end we see Chaja and his father searching for the suitcases.
I would give the movie a solid 7/10
ArnoldR.Jan 29, 2006
Best film I've seen in several years. This film is a work of art to be appreciated by small sophisticated audience.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
yvesMar 4, 2015
Over all I found it a very interesting movie. The film told a bit more about how children after the holocaust lived. It’s chocking to see how the Jewish people were disadvantaged in that time, they couldn’t walk over the street without beingOver all I found it a very interesting movie. The film told a bit more about how children after the holocaust lived. It’s chocking to see how the Jewish people were disadvantaged in that time, they couldn’t walk over the street without being shout out. The movie was at times rather boring. What really bothered me was that the mother constantly wanted to hand out cake to all the visitors. The funniest part of the movie was for me the moment of seeing what their neighbor below had do to her husband’s stamp collection. The most beautiful moment was when the boy first spoke to Chaya. At first it was just the sound of a duck but bit by bit he learned more words but finally he learned to speak perfectly. The saddest part was when Chaya heard that Simcha Kalman drown in the lake where they went to feed the ducks. Expand