7.0

1. Dec 17, 2011
    It is very hard to say no to this movie due to its fantastic animation, action, dark tone, and voice performances and it even has a bit of humor and succeeds well enough even though the story isn't told very well. I give this film 82% of a good movie.
  2. Oct 20, 2010
    Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings all mixed together into one huge CGI epic hit. though, it has a dark tone and it may not be suitable for kids, but despite that, it has nice character development, great visuals, and awesome butt-kicking action scenes. Legend of the Guardians is an excellent CGI movie of the year.
  3. Oct 5, 2011
    "Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole", a action flick summer blockbuster directed by Zack Snyder, is a great movie with outstanding visuals but fails to contain any significant points to boast about.
  4. Sep 27, 2010
    Never have I seen such a life-like film lacking in so much...life. This movie is a complete mess. It can be utterly terrifying to children and mind-numbingly stupid to adults. Never did I once feel compassion or sympathy for any of the characters. Probably because they're all so cardboard and annoying. In addition, the film may have some amazing animation, but it never really makes full use of it. The aerial battles are repetitive and completely forgettable. Talk about disappointing. Expand
  5. May 9, 2011
    Beautiful presentation let down by poor acting and audio, plus the characters were too goofy and aimless for my taste, best that you watch Rio instead.
  6. Sep 24, 2010
    I like the owls,well everybody loves the owls. This is the movie that the brave owl must journey away to the guardians of Ga'Hoole with the greatest owls and he must fight against those evil owls that controls The Pure Ones and this is a good movie that the owls are so bravery and more interesting for the entire family.
  7. Sep 24, 2010
    Star Wars, Avatar, Lord Of The Rings all rolled up into one grand epic. 5 stars doesn't do it justice! I loved every frame of this film. Magnificently beautiful, spellbinding, exiciting to the nth degree and finally getting 3D right. Don't miss it! [However, not a children's tale!]
  8. Sep 29, 2010
    Probably the single most stunning film in terms of visual effects so far this year, Legend of the Guardians is not only a visual treat but also a surprisingly well done animated epic. I've heard a lot of people writing about how this is 'too dark' for children, but come on: this film is no darker or scarier than Nightmare Before Christmas, the second or third Harry Potter, or The Corpse Bride. It really is an amazing animated film that I think children will love, with a good message and amazing visuals. Expand
  9. Sep 24, 2010
    It has a great, very epic, story, with some great 3D. It is definitely worth a see, even if the only reason you go is to see the awesome 3D. A little dark, so it may not be appropriate for smaller kids.
  10. Sep 25, 2010
    It was a great movie. Plain and simple, with lots of lessons learned and thrilling action. The only reason why the movie was not 'too' popular was because of the 'unrealistic' factor of the movie, all i can say to that is that this movie falls under the fantasy genre so you get what you pay for.
  11. Sep 26, 2010
    How Did Marketing Ever Approve This Title?

A 3D childrenâ
  12. Sep 28, 2010
    I am so glad that I got foiled in my attempt to lift this movie. The less people in the theater who don't know how to watch a movie, the better! This movie is both stunning and poinient, and entertainment rather than fact or history, but accourding to time is the best way to watch this movie, except for the cut and paste at the end, which is good and should be kept. The best a movie can be! I will, FOR sure try to buy this movie on DVD. I wanted to buy it on order, then torrent it, but it didn't work, good job entertainment industry! PG means, STRONG PARENTAL GUIDANCE, this should be rated in the 17 category, but high school can be very difficult! Expand
  13. Oct 5, 2010
    My son and I really enjoyed this movie. The 3D effects were beautiful, and the story was great! I would have liked to see more "training" scenes, but the movie definitely met my expectations!
  14. Oct 7, 2010
    I've read reviews saying that some people don't understand the movie at all. It sounded more like they either haven't read the books or just don't have an imagination at all. Beautiful animation aside, the plot is simple and understandable. It goes a bit quick, but once you watch the movie a second time. you tend to take in the gorgeous views instead. Some parts even made me tear up a bit...
    Adding also, the movie isn't so terrifying that children won't be able to see it. It's more of a mild terrifying. If you like old stories told new, then I believe you will enjoy this.
  15. Oct 12, 2010
    As my first review, I felt that the critics may have been a little harsh on this movie. As a 32 year old I found that this movie was a wonderful breath of fresh air. More serious and intense than the average animated fare, this movie tackled some interesting issues quite well as well as delivering an epic movie feel throughout that genuinely captured my interest through the whole move. Of course I would have like a bit more character development (which I'm sure the books do better justice), but I must say I was very pleasantly surprised and highly recommend this movie to anyone over the age to 12. Expand
  16. Oct 22, 2010
    Otra insufrible pelicula de "Hack" Sneyder. El hacedor de ese insulto al cine llamado 300 (2006) le toma ahora contra la historia imaginada por la escritora Kathryn Laski. En esta cinta animada hay un bando de tecolotes malos nazifascistas y tecolotes buenos y heroicos. Los dos son igual de aburridos.
  17. Sep 28, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rip-roaring though the action scenes may be, a feast for the eyes and the senses, "Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole" is in reductionist terms, "Star Wars" with owls, and that's when it's not busy being "Lord of the Rings"(and even, a little of "Schindler's List") with owls; nocturnal birds anthropomorphized into jedi knights and hobbits, stormtroopers and orcs, who could be any number of interchangable animals, since the generic narrative never strays far from the same hero quest template found in so many fantasy-based films. But the film's subtext fascinates, as it's spectacularly inappropriate for a children's movie. Modeled after Nazi Germany, young owls are kidnapped from their homes by the Pure Ones and deposited at labor camps, in effect, making "The Diary of Anne Frank" passe, and so twentieth century. Metalbeak(an obvious Darth Vader, or Hitler stand-in) is planning a Krystallnacht, a two-step pogrom that would eradicate the Guardians, then their home, the mythical kingdom of Ga'Hoole, a far-away place that Soren(Jim Sturges) always believed was real, while his brother Kludd(Ryan Klanten) had regarded as nothing more than a rumor. Without the steadying influence of their parents, the sibling rivalry culminates in a divergence based on ideology(a difference that can be glimpsed in its incubative stage back home), as Kludd, a Tytos owl looking to get out of his brother's shadow, starts working for the Pure Ones in the capacity of a Judenrat-like affiliate, and Soren, a freedom fighter like Luke Fly-walker(sorry), not only preserves his species, but storytelling, as well, both owl and oral tradition alike. From the outset, Kludd was already displaying the capacity for totalitarianism, with all that harrumphing toward his family's ideals in the communal tree. He hated Soren for his love of literature(a literature that also function as a liturgical work of art); his spirituality and benevolent nature. Kludd was a bad egg. After Grimble chooses Soren and Gylfrie to be a sort of Schindler's owls, he helps them escape to Ga'Hoole, where the fe-di meets Ezylryb(Geoffrey Rush), the author of his father's favorite story. Decrepit and resigned to irrelevance, the corporeality of The Lyze of Kiel creates a disconnect in Soren's mind from the picture his father helped paint; the writer, as it turns out, is not a hero, a lesson learned for the naive owl who now understands the difference between fact and fiction. It's a juxtaposition that reappears later in the film, finding expression in the diegesis, the geography of the labor camp, where the magnetic force field(read: crematorium) is situated next to a brush fire(read: a bonfire for book-burning). To Kludd's satisfaction, the real Guardians, and the abstract version of their exploits can both be extinguished. (Ezylyrb is among the dying Guardians.) But Soren, like David, slays Metalbeak, slays Goliath, and protects his kind. More importantly, he preserves his kind's culture. Expand
  18. Dec 18, 2010
    A very good movie. The characters are funny, the plot is very interesting and the graphics are absolutely amazing and outstanding. A movie worth seeing.
  19. Oct 20, 2010
    Too violent for my tastes, especially for younger kids. Also there wasn't really a good moral or story in my opinion, and I didn't care very much about the characters. Skip it, imo, and don't bother taking your kids.
  20. Nov 5, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thought this was pretty cool, the animation was remarkable.

The ending was pretty sweet, the fighting and all that was so epic.

My only problem is that the opening of the movie picked up a slow pace and it was boring at the begining but it picked it up really well.

Also I wouldn't call this a kid's film I should say this movie would be for ages 10+
    This was pretty violent for a PG.

So there we have it I thought it was good
  21. Oct 20, 2010
    Some genius directors and producers have come up with the rare eye delight, or astonishing visual effects. Perhaps the greatest of the year so far. Just that adds one star to this movie. Overall, I thought it jumped around at times, but a cute movie with nice owls anyway. It kind of reminds me of Lord of the Rings and Star Wars.
  22. Jun 22, 2011
    The film honoured its role to dazzle. Its look is something without comparisons, a glimpse that summarizes the sublime in spectacular images that are governed by an almost uninterrupted soundtrack, a full concert in mid-film. Still wins points for not indulging in cuteness. The owls own movements which are extremely close to the real, only running it because of the inevitable movement of pacifiers (to speak). In fact, the motions â Expand
  23. Apr 17, 2011
    the movie was made epicly, the storyline kept me and some of my friends entertained for the entire movie, and some more talking about it. it was a great movie, and i wont regret giving it a 9
  24. Apr 25, 2011
    Absolutely brilliant. My 11year old daughter was routed to her seat and me along side her. Best animation I have ever seen. My daughter gave it 10 out of 10, I would have given it 11 if it were possible!!!
  25. Nov 11, 2011
    Owls of Ga'Hoole is a decent and a cute film, but some parts of the film are a bit dull.
  26. Mar 6, 2012
    Just amazing!! It is an animation, but its not just for kids! I loved it! I cannot really describe more, i suggest to everybody watch minimum once. Lovely and full of with action :)
  27. Jan 11, 2013
    the least i can say is that it was ok. wasnt great wasnt horrible. was kinda bored and confused at times. (i got lost cuz i stopped listening a few times) i wish it was better though. needs more excitement.
  28. Mar 9, 2013
    Snyder surprieses audiences with his one film that actually isn't gritty. Besides that Owls of Ga'Hoole was cheesy but had numerous fun moments for the whole family to enjoy.
  29. Jan 28, 2013
    The makers of Happy Feet takes an interestingly dark turn in storytelling with this movie adaption to the best selling book series. The characters are enjoyable, the animation is fantastic, the soundtrack is beautiful, & the action is epic.
  30. Mar 26, 2013
    Easily one of the best animated films ever, great action, production, voice over, everything was top nouch in this. Better animation then other films probably the best effects in a motion picture. Better then (Toy Story, Avatar, Harry Potter, Narnia, Despicable, Rise of the Gaurdian) animation. Story was pretty good as well. Im upset that it took me almost 2 years to watch it but Im glad I did A+. The story isn't told perfectly but the dark tone, and bit of humor makes up for it. This is a movie for 9-10 and up. I know you saw the trailer with the beautiful scenes and the amazing song choice. Expand
  31. May 25, 2014
    Zack Snyder making a movie about owls wasn't so sure about it. I liked his other films but was surprised about how much i enjoyed it. The animation was amazing even in 2013 it could still stand up to movies like brave and wreck-it ralph. The story was nothing really great though i felt like it being only 1 hour 30 minutes really made it seem like the film could have gone at least another 30 minutes but i understand why they shortened it. The action was cool seeing the birds fight but with Snyder's style behind it the story was a bit more darker then what i thought it was going to be and i really liked that.

Overall i give it a 7.0 when you can make a film about owls enjoyable i have to give you credit for that
  32. Aug 10, 2014
    better than Lion King, this movie is so underated. if you haven't seen it yet... why???? this is the best movie for your children. the movie won't make your kids dumb

1. The sketchy visual traits that differentiate the many characters in this avian universe will leave viewers crying, "Who, who" along with the owls.
  2. Reviewed by: Scott Bowles
    The film is surprisingly deft and entertains at both the adult and juvenile levels. If something in Guardians catches your eye, trust your gizzard.
    And the action? It's especially hard to determine who's fighting whom in "Legends," because, well, because they are a bunch of owls.