6.7

1. JoshW
    May 7, 2005
    Great performances from the actors, great sets, beutiful cinematography and a story line that was beyond ridiculous. Not that there is anything wrong with a ridiculous script, just as long as it isn't boring too.
  2. PatC.
    Jun 14, 2005
    It's not just Carrey - nearly the entire cast overacts their parts. Sunny is the only interesting character in this clumsy pretentious effort.
  3. SeanP.
    Aug 20, 2006
    It was dull and lacking exictment and out of order to the books.
  4. AdamK
    Jun 24, 2005
    This movie was really frustrating to watch. First of all its annoyingly stupid that the kids can't communicate that Count Olaf, who is a serial killer, is in disguise. So right that gets annoying and then you just imagine like the rest of the movie does stupid unrealistic things, plus the kids are annoying, Jim Carey is stupid, and the narrator Jude Law is pretty much the only decent This movie was really frustrating to watch. First of all its annoyingly stupid that the kids can't communicate that Count Olaf, who is a serial killer, is in disguise. So right that gets annoying and then you just imagine like the rest of the movie does stupid unrealistic things, plus the kids are annoying, Jim Carey is stupid, and the narrator Jude Law is pretty much the only decent thing about the movie but even he gets hackneyed. Expand
  5. DamianP.
    Jan 12, 2005
    It looked good, the acting was excellent, but the story was dull and flawed. Maybe it deserves a higher score on its merits as a childrens movie, but I'm not a child.
  6. PaulW.
    Feb 6, 2005
    I found that this movie was so boring that I actually fell asleep in the theater, my girlfriend had to nudge me to wake me up when it was over.
  7. anonymuosjunior
    Dec 20, 2004
    Nothing like the BOOK.
  8. AndreaC.
    Jan 15, 2005
    This movie gets a three rating only.
  9. GeraldineJ.
    Oct 31, 2005
    Ring This movie was great, and it couldn't have been better. Movie one is this great, and I can't wait for the really great next movie. None of the parts in this movie sucks.
  10. farhanaza.
    Feb 1, 2005
    I hate this movie. i hate it. It's soooooo gross and it is very hard to understand the things that are said yet.
  11. KevinY.
    Feb 7, 2005
    I have only walked out of one movie in my life, Caddyshack 2. Jim Carrey gives a very Jackie Mason like performance. A beautiful movie to look at so members of NORML might enjoy but I want 107 minutes of my life back.
  12. DavidH.
    Apr 5, 2005
    So bad, it's unfortunate.
  13. GaborA.
    May 11, 2005
    Another episode of Jim Carrey single handedly ruining a movie. Unfortunatly, even withou him this would have been a mediocre effort at best.
  14. T&LS&B
    May 15, 2005
    This movie SUCKS! Count Olof is supose to be scary not Stupid And Funny! s
  15. EugeneW.
    May 17, 2005
    When I sat thought this movie I wished I had followed the instructions given at the very beginning by Jude Law the narrator. Its very good advice and well taken. That is you should stop viewing it immediately and go do something else. I also must say that children may actually enjoy it but as an adult I found it dull and lacking.
  16. DanielH.
    Oct 15, 2006
    It was the single worst book turned into a film I have ever seen. It put me off reading the books for a week!
    Jan 14, 2005
    The movie was ok in it's own right, but if you are going to purport to be the same story as something else (aka: a book), then actually be the same. My biggest beef is not that the movie takes a little artistic liberty, but that it takes a lot. Entire sections of the plot are changed or rearranged, to no actual benefit. And, picking Jim Carrey to play Count Olaf shows just how little The movie was ok in it's own right, but if you are going to purport to be the same story as something else (aka: a book), then actually be the same. My biggest beef is not that the movie takes a little artistic liberty, but that it takes a lot. Entire sections of the plot are changed or rearranged, to no actual benefit. And, picking Jim Carrey to play Count Olaf shows just how little the books were understood by the movie's makers. If you're a fan of the books, you'll be disappointed by the movie; if you're not, or you haven't read them, you'll leave confused by plot holes, but you might enjoy it. Expand
  18. Danielle
    Jan 15, 2005
    I can't believe how horrible the movie was. Anyone who is a fan of the book series should not go see this movie. Jim Carey was the worst possible actor they could have gotten to play count Olaf becuase Olaf is supposed to be scarey not funny. I am completely dissapointed and it's a shame that this movie ever came out. Sorry.
  19. JohnG.
    Apr 27, 2005
    Right in the midst of parts that seem like they're trying to make you laugh, you suddenly get a sense that the producers are trying to make the movie so believable that you put yourself in the shoes of the kids, and when that happens, you're filled with a sense of grief at the terrible things thar are happening. This leaves a sour taste in your mouth, unless you have a strong Right in the midst of parts that seem like they're trying to make you laugh, you suddenly get a sense that the producers are trying to make the movie so believable that you put yourself in the shoes of the kids, and when that happens, you're filled with a sense of grief at the terrible things thar are happening. This leaves a sour taste in your mouth, unless you have a strong sense of schadenfreude. Expand
  20. TimidFerret
    May 29, 2005
    How dull, it's like watching paint dry, plenty of money has been thrown at it but to little effect, I was expecting excitment put only found boring monologues, if you suffer from insomnia then this is the movie for you.
  21. toms.
    Sep 26, 2005
    At no point in this movie did i think it was good.
  22. WillH.
    Dec 23, 2004
    Absoloutley abissmal!!!!!!! Dont go and see it because you would rather pour acid in your eyes!!!!
  23. JackandLynn
    Dec 24, 2004
    This movie, while not absolutely horrible, was not worth the admission price at the theatre. It was geared towards children, and as adults, we found ourselves bored and wondering when it would be over!

Exceptionally clever, hilariously gloomy and bitingly subversive.
  2. Devolves into a repetitive comedy that squanders a hugely talented cast.
  3. Reviewed by: Sean Smith
    Pretty charming. Audiences may like it more than critics, but everyone should agree it's one of the most wickedly stylish movies of the year.