6.7

1. AlisonH
    Jul 5, 2005
    The movie wasn't bad - but the books are much better! I hope the next book in the series (due in the fall) makes it onto the book reviews portion of metacritic.
  2. Oct 23, 2011
    "A Series of Unfortunate Events" is a decent kid-block buster with a average story line with a monotonous tone. But as always, its Jim Carrey (the veteran actor) the saves the screen.
  3. DanaM.
    Dec 22, 2004
    A bit disjointed. Done in the manner of Harry Potter movies with overdone visuals. Entertaining certainly but hard to figure out the mystery, even after the ending. A lot of questions left unanswered, but of course that is what sequels are for, and this movie defintely steers you towards a sequel.
  4. AaronL.
    Dec 20, 2004
    Although it was somewhat enjoyable to see parts of the Lemony books come to life, it was a huge error to combine three books into one movie. The film is jumbled, out of order from the books, includes many scenes not in the books, and never takes the opportunity to explore all the characters. For fans of the books, this adaptation is a great disappointment.
  5. Aubrey
    Jan 16, 2005
    I read the books before i watched this movie and I was disatified with where the events where placed in the movie i mean they took half of the 1st book and put it at the end...honestly you should have at least put the events in the right order...other than that the movie was pretty good!
  6. napoleondynamitefan
    Jan 28, 2005
    I think that they books are so0o0o00o0 much better than the movies because, the movie was only 3 boks in one movie.
  7. jaunito
    Feb 19, 2005
    This was a very good MOVIE. but when youve read 9 of the books like me, you relize it sticks only two the MAIN STORY LINE. it like this: book 1, book 2, book 3, book1. the end of the first is the end of the movie! Jim Carrey was FUNNY, but, come on!! Count Olaf is supposed to be scary! and they prunounce klause's name, whitch is like santa clause, like clown with an s insted of a n. This was a very good MOVIE. but when youve read 9 of the books like me, you relize it sticks only two the MAIN STORY LINE. it like this: book 1, book 2, book 3, book1. the end of the first is the end of the movie! Jim Carrey was FUNNY, but, come on!! Count Olaf is supposed to be scary! and they prunounce klause's name, whitch is like santa clause, like clown with an s insted of a n. suny was the only thing they did right. Expand
  8. HPGIRLhugeLemonysnicketfan
    Dec 18, 2004
    Although it had a witty plot I feel it was a huge disapointment to people WHO REALLY READ THE BOOKS and an insult to lemony snicket himself. I found everything went wrong and I feel the same about HARRY POTTER#3 with all due respect HPGIRL.
  9. JohnR.
    Dec 4, 2005
    Jim Carey, like Robin Williams, is best when constrained by the director. Brad Silberling gives him his head and what could have been a super movie turns second-rate. A send-up of a caricature of a grotesque. Your initials may be JC but this film is not all about you.
  10. lizk
    Mar 14, 2005
    It was a nice moive because i read all the books so i understood it, but when i asked my dad if he liked it he said it had to many holes and it made him feel like he would not like the books! please do not see it if you have not read the books and if you have prepare to be dissapointed!!!
  11. Oct 17, 2010
    It was a little better than Ok but it isn't the first kids film I think of when I'm feeling nostaligic. The children are quite weak and I'd prefer to read the books. The whole thing did the job but it wasn't anything to rant and rave about.
  12. Nov 20, 2011
    Cramming 3 books into 1 short film isnt a good idea, Especially when Lemony Snicket books are filled with countless details that the film left out. The cast was good and Jim Carrey is at his best in this film. I was a huge fan of the books and I was excited for this film but it was just a major disapointment.
  13. CRL
    Aug 27, 2011
    There really is no reason that this movie shouldn't be an 8, 9, or even a 10. The acting is great, and Jim Carey makes a perfect Count Olaf. The plot follows the first three books pretty well... while admittedly pulling an ending from one and sticking it on another to give the movie a real ending. The script is good. The cinematography is good. It's just... there's something thatThere really is no reason that this movie shouldn't be an 8, 9, or even a 10. The acting is great, and Jim Carey makes a perfect Count Olaf. The plot follows the first three books pretty well... while admittedly pulling an ending from one and sticking it on another to give the movie a real ending. The script is good. The cinematography is good. It's just... there's something that existed in the books that the movie failed to recreate. Maybe it's simply the fact that it's a visual experience instead of a mental one, and in that light everything 'unfortunate' happening to Violet, Klaus, and Sunny seems almost cruel when it's mean to be darkly humorous. The books were a comedy. The movie plays more like a drama, and that's it's weakness. It doesn't embrace the weirdness that Snicket embodies so well in his books, instead trying to play off of it for suspense, which ultimately ends in the near-waste of a talented cast and wonderful plot. Expand
  14. Jan 1, 2012
    It was decent but the huge flaw of this film is that they tried to cram 3 books into one short film and they left out so much because of it as well. Jim Carrey was amazing in it and he was perfect for the part imo and he definently made it worth watching for him alone. It was ok but not as good asit could have been.
  15. Nov 13, 2013
    A Series of Unfortunate Events is how it sounds.
    With somewhat of a hodgepodge of the first three books in the series. A Series of Unfortunate Events fails to capture the eyes of its book readers but is successful in being entertaining with a great Jim Carey performance; despite its monotonous pacing.
  16. Mar 5, 2014
    This is a movie for all ages. Jim Carey is amazing in this film and shows his comedic range as an actor. Only negative is the length of the movie. I realize that it can be no other way, but just feels stretched and after a while a little boring.
  17. Jul 26, 2015
    Foi necessário um roteiro cheio de fantasias e características surreais para impor progresso a cada cena do filme, mas o lado bom de tudo é que uma aventura com personagens adequados para algo tão obscuro.

Exceptionally clever, hilariously gloomy and bitingly subversive.
  2. Devolves into a repetitive comedy that squanders a hugely talented cast.
  3. Reviewed by: Sean Smith
    Pretty charming. Audiences may like it more than critics, but everyone should agree it's one of the most wickedly stylish movies of the year.