Les Miserables

7.4

1. Apr 13, 2013
    Les Misérables directed by Tom Hooper, a great movie, good interpreters, big emotions, good songs, very interesting movie, There are two impressive moments in which two actresses make a big test, beautiful scenery and beautiful picture, in short, I recommend the film, a lot of emotions this film.
  2. Mar 4, 2014
    An absolutely wonderful movie! Very powerful, very touching and all-around extremely enjoyable! The songs are also very memorable and awesome! One of my favourite 2012 movies.
  3. Jun 20, 2013
    I think the film is best appreciated if you watch it like you were watching an opera. Of course, there are no "closeups" in opera, but the nonstop singing, the oversized emotions, the multiple deaths for hopeless and lost causes--these are truly the building blocks of grand opera. And from time to time Les Miserables really does earn the right to be compared to grand opera.
  4. May 19, 2013
    This is a creative way to bring a musical to a film.Even though it's weird hearing all the diolage spoked though singing,it is a very beautiful well developed film.
  5. Apr 29, 2013
    People seem to be confusing their subjective taste in movies to an objective appraisal of the movie if a movie is not to your taste, it does not make it a bad movie, and you shouldn't base your rating on whether you liked it or not. People making ratings based on their taste are making the movie rating here unreliable.

The people who voted 0 or 1, I'm talking to you. How can you not

The people who voted 0 or 1, I'm talking to you. How can you not give credit to the amount of details that have been put into the movie? How can you not give credit to the performances put forward by these actors and actresses acting and singing simultaneously is not easy, especially when it is done live. Those of you complaining about how the actors cannot sing, and they should have hired professional singers. let me ask you, would you rather watch professional singers who can sing but who can't act in a movie? That would have been worse. This is a movie, not a stage opera. Apples to oranges.

There are many other examples but my point is that the movie is not getting credit where credit is due, because people are throwing ratings out based on their taste, and not based on how the movie actually is.
  6. May 14, 2013
    Great movie with awesome songs. It is the best musical of all time. It is filled with emotions that is very amusing. The ending almost made me want to cry. It is the best
  7. May 16, 2013
    Looking at this movie entirely from the single perspective of itself, instead of comparing it to its musical counterpart (To which i hear is brilliant). It is a good musical, with a cast to which any film would happily boast, with some outstanding performances from a plethora actors whom most would never relate to a musical, yet in some instances it is clear singing isn't their strongLooking at this movie entirely from the single perspective of itself, instead of comparing it to its musical counterpart (To which i hear is brilliant). It is a good musical, with a cast to which any film would happily boast, with some outstanding performances from a plethora actors whom most would never relate to a musical, yet in some instances it is clear singing isn't their strong point.

The over use of singing is also ironically its downfall, the subtext is entirely removed with little to no speaking dialogue, instead a strange blend in certain scenes of song talk instead of some of the more apparent staged musical numbers. The rather odd over use of themed characters moments gives the French backdrop a strange feel, to how it feels more like "Oliver" at points.

As the film goes on (Mostly near to the start of the third act) i felt myself more distracted by patchy cinematography and began to be bored, not say the final stand of the revolutionaries was not interesting, its just how long takes and little change can begin to drag. It was heavily clear throughout that Tom Hooper was more focused upon during the Musical moments, the singers rather than these amazing sets.

to summarise, the film deserves praise for showing that Musicals can have a serious tone instead of the likes of "Hairspray" and the actors within in it deserve meritorious praise, yet it fails due to a long running time and lack of change, with little use of the large budget sets.
  8. Jun 7, 2013
    the is the best big screen adaptation of a Broadway musical in 5 years. tom Hooper takes to preserve many of the great original moments for the show. Hugh Jackman is incredible as valjean and Anne Hathaway is heart wrenching as the tragic Fantine. It is stirring, sad, and thought provoking Victor Hugo would have been singing along too.
  9. Aug 10, 2013
    It was a very interesting movie. Never having read the book or play, it will be an unbiased review. I enjoyed this movie. The directing of the movie was great, acting even better, and the music was incredible. The singing itself, well, was hard at times. Between sobs and lots of people singing at once it was sort of hard to follow. Not too hard that I didn't understand it. It had romanceIt was a very interesting movie. Never having read the book or play, it will be an unbiased review. I enjoyed this movie. The directing of the movie was great, acting even better, and the music was incredible. The singing itself, well, was hard at times. Between sobs and lots of people singing at once it was sort of hard to follow. Not too hard that I didn't understand it. It had romance with a runaway mixed together which what made the movie good. I will probably watch it again to be able to get the singing parts again. The characters were likable and it was humorous at times. It was a well of movie. Expand
  10. Jan 2, 2015
    Les Miserables is quite different from the theater musical, but in my opinion the film is a masterpiece on it's own. Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, and Anne Hathaway performed masterfully and their onscreen musical performances blew me away. Recording the actor's signing on-set rather than in a studio must have been a great risk for director Tom Hooper, but the end result was anLes Miserables is quite different from the theater musical, but in my opinion the film is a masterpiece on it's own. Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, and Anne Hathaway performed masterfully and their onscreen musical performances blew me away. Recording the actor's signing on-set rather than in a studio must have been a great risk for director Tom Hooper, but the end result was an emotion-filled work of art. I do not agree with the critics who say the film's musical performances were overly dramatic, such as Hathaway's version of "I Dream a Dream". The original musical was less dramatic, so I can see why some critics may feel that way when comparing the two, but the dramatics felt right on film. Also, Russell Crowe's vocal performances received a lot of criticism, but I though the roughness of his voice was fitting for his character. Maybe he doesn't have the vocal range of a theater musical performer, but in this film his performance felt authentic. Overall, Les Miserables is a wonderful film and if you haven't seen it, you should. It's easily on my top 5 films list. Expand
  11. May 28, 2013
    I am not a "musical" person by any stretch of the imagination, but when my friend pleaded with me to go see it with her, of course I did, that's what friends do. I had heard that the live musical version was good, so I thought if anything it wouldn't kill me in the end, and all I can say is WOW, what an amazing movie. I never thought that I could "suffer" through a few minutes of aI am not a "musical" person by any stretch of the imagination, but when my friend pleaded with me to go see it with her, of course I did, that's what friends do. I had heard that the live musical version was good, so I thought if anything it wouldn't kill me in the end, and all I can say is WOW, what an amazing movie. I never thought that I could "suffer" through a few minutes of a musical, much less fall in love with the entire 2+ hours of this movie. I have not only seen it in theaters, but I have seen it on an 8.5 hour flight to Russia, twice and have it downloaded on my iPad to watch again whenever I feel like it. The story, the message and the delivery of this was spot on. I couldn't care less that it might not be professionals singing as many critics seem to care about, but that is what makes this so much better. You feel as though you can feel their pain and emotions because they aren't professional singers, but rather letting their own personal emotions guide them. Of course there are always parts that I can criticize but won't in this review, all in all, it is a MUST SEE even if you don't enjoy musicals you might just fall in love as much as I did. Expand
  12. Jun 15, 2013
    Flawless LIVE acting and even singing. Each cast member proved worthy of their parts. I believe this movie deserves a much better rating considering all of the effort put into this movie. Even the barricade was real! Regardless, this is the first time they ever turned a musical into a movie and I think they exceeded their standards. This movie is a masterpeice, truly outstanding work. ThisFlawless LIVE acting and even singing. Each cast member proved worthy of their parts. I believe this movie deserves a much better rating considering all of the effort put into this movie. Even the barricade was real! Regardless, this is the first time they ever turned a musical into a movie and I think they exceeded their standards. This movie is a masterpeice, truly outstanding work. This movie got me crying so much, it's like they put their heart and soul into this production. I really hope they continue to do this to other musicals as well. Expand
  13. Jun 13, 2013
    So I already hate musicals, and this one just confirms how awful they are. Anne whats her name is so bad it makes Vince Vaughn look like a good actor. Disgusting, boring, and just plain terrible.
  14. Jun 17, 2013
    A miserable attempt to adapt this beloved musical for a film audience. Don't get me wrong, I like Russel Crowe under proper direction and in the right role, but his performance in this film was absolutely dreadful.
  15. Jul 21, 2013
    For those of you who haven't seen the stage version of this musical I wish to clarify something. EVERY LINE is supposed to be sung. This movie does justice to the longest running stage musical. The Oscars were deserved. The only qualm I have with this musical is that Samantha Barks deserved an Oscar Nomination for her role and Hugh Jackman deserved the Oscar due to a much better portrayalFor those of you who haven't seen the stage version of this musical I wish to clarify something. EVERY LINE is supposed to be sung. This movie does justice to the longest running stage musical. The Oscars were deserved. The only qualm I have with this musical is that Samantha Barks deserved an Oscar Nomination for her role and Hugh Jackman deserved the Oscar due to a much better portrayal of Jean Valjean than Daniel Day Lewis in this portrayal of Lincoln. Expand
  16. Aug 10, 2013
    Deep and strong theme. Unforgettable characters. Superb acting. Gorgeous photography.

The singing is a bit tiring sometimes, and renders the film slow at moments. Also, the fight scene at the barricades is awkward and not very well though out.

But other than that, loved it.
  17. Aug 22, 2013
    Well I haven't laughed that much for ages! Lots of good actors making fools of themselves. It's amazing that they all took on the project! Can't be enough scripts around I guess. Loved the Liam Neeson version, much much more entertaining.
  18. Sep 4, 2013
    the story is great, the picture is so good but I did not like the musical theme which the movie was based on! so I couldn't complete it until the end!
  19. Sep 18, 2013
    Les Mis just whisks you away with its charm and dramatic characters. The singing is okay by the actors, but you have to give them credit, as they don't sing in movies often. Also, director Tom Hooper (The King's Speech) directs the movie in such a way that we are captivated by its awe and wonderment.
  20. Oct 27, 2013
    i don´t know why people hate so much this film,it was a good adaptation of the vitor hugo book and there was a great prodution in this film so why the hell the critics aren´t giving good grades for this movie.
  21. Dec 18, 2015
    I don't typically like musicals so I have a bit of a bias, but the film is mostly well shot, and the singing is pretty solid overall. Some good comedic moments but I still can't fully engage with a story on screen when they're all singing. I appreciate the artistry here, but it just isn't for me sadly.
    6.5/10
  22. Jan 27, 2014
    Overall reaction:
    WOW. I was absolutely blown away. I cried and I laughed-basically showed more emotion then in real life. A must see. Anne Hathaway has a beautiful voice and gave such a heart-grabbing performance. Eddie and Amanda had such an amazing chemistry, I thought is was real and not acting. Watch it. It won Oscars for a reason.
    Bad side: Russel Crowe couldn't sing to save his
    Overall reaction:
    Bad side:
    Russel Crowe couldn't sing to save his life, but he did a splendid job acting and portraying a man at war with himself.
  23. Mar 3, 2014
    Having unintentionally dodged this story for so long, the first I see of it is this adaption, which I know is a great shame. It mostly feels like a homage to those who know this story well, and I know they rave about it. I'm sure the story is brilliant on stage. However, for those who have no real knowledge of the piece, the characters are thrown at you pouring their hearts out and it'sHaving unintentionally dodged this story for so long, the first I see of it is this adaption, which I know is a great shame. It mostly feels like a homage to those who know this story well, and I know they rave about it. I'm sure the story is brilliant on stage. However, for those who have no real knowledge of the piece, the characters are thrown at you pouring their hearts out and it's strangely hard to get emotionally invested until towards the end. I can't deny that I didn't enjoy it though. Expand
  24. Jan 2, 2015
    e Miserable es un musical que sin dudas logra resaltar con su gran ambientación de la época en que se desarrolla esta película, pero, tristemente, en muy pocas veces llega a dar un entretenimiento factible.

Esta película se libera de una manera satisfactoria en cuanto a muchas cosas del apartado técnico, como, por decir, el vestuario, que se enfoca bien en la época del film, o también se puede resaltar su banda sonora, pero en algo que falla en un punto un tanto declinado en este largometraje es en no transmitir en buen nivel un entretenimiento factible al público o entablar una relación sufrible con el espectador., aunque sí logra entablar una relación sentimental con el mismo, y eso hace que la historia se pueda sentir en un tono más indagable y fluyente, dándole así un mejor ambiente, volviéndose más ilustrada, prepotente y audaz.
  25. Mar 25, 2014
    When I first saw previews of Les Miserables, and realized that it was a musical, I had no desire whatsoever to see it. On a whim, I watched the movie with no positive intentions, and I can say that by the end my mind was blown. The story line, actors, scenery: everything was beautiful. As a former skeptic, my "judging a book by a cover" was proved entirely wrong. The music and acting goesWhen I first saw previews of Les Miserables, and realized that it was a musical, I had no desire whatsoever to see it. On a whim, I watched the movie with no positive intentions, and I can say that by the end my mind was blown. The story line, actors, scenery: everything was beautiful. As a former skeptic, my "judging a book by a cover" was proved entirely wrong. The music and acting goes straight for the heart and will leave you in tears with the heart wrenching ending. The only way I can describe this movie without babbling all day would be to call it pure genius. Its an absolutely stunning film. Expand
  26. Sep 2, 2014
    This is quite an incredible movie. Having never seen the play nor read the book (yet!), I thought this was a great film. It had great acting, beautiful songs, and a bittersweet plot. I really had no problem with the length because the movie had me so engrossed and entertained, and I was lost in the music. It's an absolutely amazing film.
  27. Nov 13, 2014
    "Les Miserables" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Excellent) ...

"Les Miserables" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Excellent) ...

The Good: I was dubious about the cast, but that quickly faded. Great job all around as Jackman, Hathaway, and yes ... even Crowe ... did amazing jobs. The film seems to stay true to the source material as scenes that are typically left out of film versions were left in. Despite it's long run time (which was a drawback), I'm glad those were left in. They were important scenes.

The Bad: It runs long and feels it sometimes. While I'm glad they left important scenes in, they could have done without others to shorten the film. Far, FAR too many closeups as you'd sit for several minutes just watching someone's face as they sang. That aspect felt a little lazy.
  28. Mar 3, 2015
    I really did not expect to enjoy this movie but well, it turned out I did! I don't really understand how people dislike Russell Crowe's performance but I thought it was great (then again, I don't know much about singing). All the songs were memorable, especially One Day More. I recommend for anyone who likes musicals or not!
  29. Jan 22, 2015
    The stage show is far, far superior. That goes without saying. I don’t ever want to hear Russell Crowe sing again......Instead of making a filmic version of the theatre production, it’s like they’ve tried to convey what a theatre production would be if it was a film. So everything is sort of pantomime. Nothing is real looking, it’s all staged and theatrically lit which doesn’t work as aThe stage show is far, far superior. That goes without saying. I don’t ever want to hear Russell Crowe sing again......Instead of making a filmic version of the theatre production, it’s like they’ve tried to convey what a theatre production would be if it was a film. So everything is sort of pantomime. Nothing is real looking, it’s all staged and theatrically lit which doesn’t work as a feature film.......They have used big names to fill out most of the cast, many of whom just don’t do a good enough job. That said I was completely enamoured by the original cast so I’m utterly biased..........Redeeming factors: easyish to follow. Attractive people singing good songs to a fairly decent standard. Amid all the silly things it’s a great story.

Full review available at the ponderflix site on wordpress.
  30. Oct 21, 2015
    The film "Les Misérables", a modern screen version of the historical novel by Victor Hugo, is worthily ranked among good films in my personal collection. After watching the trailer to this film I was full filled of expectations and went to the cinema. And the film didn't disappoint me.
    It's a great work. It is complete from the first minute to the last one. Nevertheless the film lasts about two hours and a half, it doesn't seem to be overextended. I was watching it in one breath, like enchanted. For me everything was perfect in this film. But I am going to say about everything step by step.
    First, it is significant to mark the work of the director. Bright and colorful scenes of Paris in 19 century are worthy of praise. The environment is truly conveyed. Close-ups are amazing. They show the genuine emotions. Second, it is the acting technique. The actors did their best. They lived their characters' lives on the screen. They have proved that the star-studded cast is not only famous names but consummate professionals!
    Third, the film shows startling originality. It was a bold experience to make a musical but it was a success. The lack of dialogues does not prevent viewers from understanding the deep message of the film. Music and songs are very powerful and catchy so that you can't get them out of your head. They grab your attention, maintain your interest and keep you in suspense till the very end. Live singing is so sincere. It makes everything more realistic. You feel actors' emotions and try to go through all peripeteias together with them.
    To sum up, "Les Misérables" left a lasting impression. But I have to confess the film is not for mass audience. However in my opinion it's only one more advantage of this film.
  31. Apr 15, 2016
    At last, a movie I have struck since days. With Les Miserables, I have finally encountered faith, freedom, truth, and hope and that's what also this movie encountered as well.
  32. Mar 16, 2016
    While not for everyone les miserables is sure to delight musical theater fans. The story has barley any dialogue and is mostly singing but that is how it was made from the begging. I love reading all the one star reviews. One review said and I quote "I went int this movie with have never seeing the play or knowing the source material and all I can see is this movie is the worst I haveWhile not for everyone les miserables is sure to delight musical theater fans. The story has barley any dialogue and is mostly singing but that is how it was made from the begging. I love reading all the one star reviews. One review said and I quote "I went int this movie with have never seeing the play or knowing the source material and all I can see is this movie is the worst I have seen" Of course it's the worst because you had no idea what to expect. ughh some people. Anyway the whole cast is fantastic and my favorite part is the confrontation. The sword play and intense singing are just the perfect match. The one problem I had with this is that there are a couple points in the plot that don't exactly weave together well. With that being said the story about the human spirit should for sure empower us movie goers. Les miserables is everything I could want as a fan of the musical. Perfect in almost every way if your a fan of the musical that is Expand
  33. May 1, 2016
    A true humanist "chef d'oeuvre"A true humanist "chef d'oeuvre"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  34. May 11, 2016
    Eddie Redmayne was a complete shock with how magnificent he is. He is really fun to watch. And he is also really good looking and was really fun to look up and listen to. Eddie Redmayne is super duper hot.

1. Reviewed by: Helen O'Hara
    Jan 7, 2013
    Occasionally, like its characters, ragged around the edges, this nevertheless rings with all the emotion and power of the source and provides a new model for the movie musical.
  2. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Jan 1, 2013
    We're all familiar with the experience of seeing movies that cram ideas and themes down our throats. Les Misérables may represent the first movie to do so while also cramming us down the throats of its actors.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Dec 31, 2012
    It's a relief to see Sacha Baron Cohen, in the role of a seamy innkeeper, bid goodbye to Cosette with the wistful words "Farewell, Courgette." One burst of farce, however, is not enough to redress the basic, inflationary bombast that defines Les Misérables. Fans of the original production, no doubt, will eat the movie up, and good luck to them. I screamed a scream as time went by.