8.3

1. Kirsten
    Feb 24, 2007
    A great message, and a lesson to be learned about the human condition, a truly masterpiece.
  2. ChadeW.
    Feb 7, 2007
    Flags of our Fathers gave us the first, if expected view of Iwo Jima in the 21st century. Letters from Iwo Jima totally rewrites Flags of our Fathers and helps us to truly understand our enemies better. Two of the main characters actually understand their enemy, but it is a shame that the same could not be said about a few of the American troops in the film. The haunting scene with Sam Flags of our Fathers gave us the first, if expected view of Iwo Jima in the 21st century. Letters from Iwo Jima totally rewrites Flags of our Fathers and helps us to truly understand our enemies better. Two of the main characters actually understand their enemy, but it is a shame that the same could not be said about a few of the American troops in the film. The haunting scene with Sam and Baron-Nishi is utterly heartbreaking; especially with the revelation of the letter. That scene alone deserves best picture, but the twist into Japanese culture will undoubtedly change many peoples' minds about the Pacific Theater. They faught for the same reasons we all do; for their country, leader, land, religion, people, children, wives, each other, and the protection of their culture. 'If you don't see at least two sides of a story, you may as well be blind' as I always say, and Letters from Iwo Jima delivers what I've been dreaming for in that regard. Expand
  3. KazuoH
    Apr 28, 2007
    I was surprised at the fact that an Americal took this film. This movie was not able to be taken without the ability of seeing its own country from a third person. Probably such an ability should have been forming a strength of the U.S. The fact that Eastwood took the film cannot but eliminate Japanese streotype againt the U.S. even though Steve keeps his stereotype throughout a lifetime.
  4. FabianoK.
    Jan 12, 2007
    This is a great movie that flawlessly communicates the helpless situation of the Japanese in the battle. Clint Eastwood does a wonderful job once again, fearlessly and fantastically portraying the "enemies" side. Although not quite as heartbreaking as Million Dollar Baby, Clint Eastwood pulls through with a great movie.
  5. Mar 23, 2013
    Never wait, but really loved it, there is no film more beautiful and exciting than this masterpiece, Eatswood amazed me every minute of this epic work. The film works perfectly alone, without having seen 'Flags of Our Fathers', but obviously you can see its parallels. The fact that these characters fill us more, and connect more with them, do we show more interest in them and theirNever wait, but really loved it, there is no film more beautiful and exciting than this masterpiece, Eatswood amazed me every minute of this epic work. The film works perfectly alone, without having seen 'Flags of Our Fathers', but obviously you can see its parallels. The fact that these characters fill us more, and connect more with them, do we show more interest in them and their stories. We can even say that some stand out above the rest, as for example happens to the character named Saigo, who gives life to a young Kazunari Ninomiya, and that is simply superb Internet, serving as a link between the other characters, including that of Watanabe Ninomiya protgoniza one of the most emotional moments of the film, near the end, and one of the few in which sounds wonderful music by Kyle Eastwood and Michael Stevens, who is close to what Clint Eastwood composed for some of his films, but perfecting it and making a score easily recalled and full of emotion. Yes, it sounds very occasionally, as the film seeks at all times not to fall into sentimentality, and shun all emotion, but it is telling us is terrible and emotional. But emotion is contained, that is breath, and as only the masters know show.
    Eastwood (or Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu for Babel) should have won the Oscar for best director. Scorssese maybe gave us the best movie of the year for The Departed, but the way this work Clint work is far superior to that of Martin, seeing it well I think that's clear but we can not fix that.
    Well this is one of the most beautiful and amazing movies of the decade 2000, if you have not seen, you have to see it.
    Not to be missed.
  6. Aug 17, 2010
    One of the best war movies ever. This movie is so inspiring and sucks you in emotionally. I highly recommend it. I absolutely loved this film. The character development is great and so is the acting and directing.
  7. Feb 17, 2011
    This movie is lovely. It's not conventionally nice and fun to watch as escapist entertainment (duhhhrrr - it's a war movie, guys), but its message is original and not at all biased to either side. It simply seeks to tell the war from another perspective. The emotional punch that Eastwood brings to all of his films is most carefully channeled here, as the characters are well-drawn and theirThis movie is lovely. It's not conventionally nice and fun to watch as escapist entertainment (duhhhrrr - it's a war movie, guys), but its message is original and not at all biased to either side. It simply seeks to tell the war from another perspective. The emotional punch that Eastwood brings to all of his films is most carefully channeled here, as the characters are well-drawn and their various fates are believable.

I guess Eastwood's and the screenwriter's best idea was to make the Japanese human. Not angels, not demons, just people. The Japanese and the Americans both still have skewed ideas about this war, and the movie avoids this cloud of romanticism and brings a breath of fresh air to those who like thoughtful movies, and prefer reality overt romanticism about war. There are very few movies like it. No I don't think it's exactly how it happened, but it takes the war movie genre and injects some well-needed humanity into the side that is most often demonized.
  8. Apr 19, 2011
    Great movie. I am a huge fan of Clint Eastwood, and he did not fail to impress. This easily ranks as one of my top favorite movies. This movie has fantastic screen-play, great characters, and not to mention, a very emotional storyline. And watch the movie with English subtitles (original Japanese voices), it adds much more to the movie.
  9. Sep 4, 2011
    I swerved this movie for a long while after watching the appalling cliched sentimental mess that was Flags of Our Fathers. I am pleasantly surprised that Letters From Iwo Jima is among the best WW2 movies I have seen, combining an authenticity, attention to detail and even-handedness that is highly unusual. Provided that its accuracy is verifiable, it is virtually faultless.
  10. Jan 26, 2012
    Shows the true brutality of war. Most of this idiots act like they know a thing or to about war. They weren't the only one to commit war crimes. Even America committed some. And to act like that Japanese soldiers have no emotion is just sad. Just like it's sister movie Flags of our Father, the movie is very close to reality and shows the true colors of war.
  11. Apr 14, 2012
    Letters from Iwo Jima is a realistic portrayal of the Japanese in WWII. It also shows how in war, there is no definite "good guy" or "bad guy." It's all about perspective and Clint Eastwood directs such in a way that is almost immaculate. It's a film that makes you think, but it is very violent, disturbing, and sad. Although what else would you expect from a war movie in which you know theLetters from Iwo Jima is a realistic portrayal of the Japanese in WWII. It also shows how in war, there is no definite "good guy" or "bad guy." It's all about perspective and Clint Eastwood directs such in a way that is almost immaculate. It's a film that makes you think, but it is very violent, disturbing, and sad. Although what else would you expect from a war movie in which you know the overall outcome? Expand
  12. Nov 9, 2012
    Mesmerizing. With Letters from Iwo Jima Clint Eastwood has something special. But you know, only if you're into awesome story telling, awesome directing, awesome acting and awesome writing.
  13. Nov 28, 2012
    Clint Eastwood's 2006 film "Letter From Iwo Jima" is a companion piece to his earlier film "Flags Of Our Fathers". It centers around the exact same events in "Flags", but the perspective is switched towards the Japanese army this time. One of the questions I had going into "Letters" was - is it better than "Flags". In short, yes. I found "Letters From Iwo Jima" to be an unbelievable pieceClint Eastwood's 2006 film "Letter From Iwo Jima" is a companion piece to his earlier film "Flags Of Our Fathers". It centers around the exact same events in "Flags", but the perspective is switched towards the Japanese army this time. One of the questions I had going into "Letters" was - is it better than "Flags". In short, yes. I found "Letters From Iwo Jima" to be an unbelievable piece of film that, I feel, every American should get a chance to watch. One of the greatest aspects of the film itself is the film's screenplay, which is written almost entirely in Japanese. When I initially found this movie to be almost entirely in a different language, I worried that this quality would impair my ability to sympathize with its characters. I was wrong. I found this film's characters perfectly written and easy to sympathize and care for. The acting also helps with character development in this film. Ken Watanabe plays General Tadamichi Kuribayashi, probably the greatest character in the film. Watanabe's portrayal of the General is so well-crafted that you just can't help but have an immense amount of compassion for him. In a visual sense, "Letters" utilizes the same sort of bleak and grainy style that was present in "Flags", and this (once again) really helps add to the underlying realistic and grim tone. Eastwood's expert directorial work also shines throughout this film. Overall, I found "Letters From Iwo Jima" to be an incredibly well-made and poignant war drama. Expand
  14. May 6, 2011
    My first reaction to this movie was I loved it.In fact I think it may go into my list of the 5 all time best movies ever made.That is if,its as the title infers, that it is truthful. I like any good audience member come to a film as though I were a jury member and were to look at something, as much as we can as though it were a blank slate.So as the title and opening scene suggests I amMy first reaction to this movie was I loved it.In fact I think it may go into my list of the 5 all time best movies ever made.That is if,its as the title infers, that it is truthful. I like any good audience member come to a film as though I were a jury member and were to look at something, as much as we can as though it were a blank slate.So as the title and opening scene suggests I am seeing a film based on letters from the Japanese home based on their real experiences fighting at Iwo, not a Hollywood writers construct. I am always looking for authenticity at least in the human experience. At that level I bought the film hook line and sinker.This goes to how extraordinarily well the film is acted directed and cut.(Spoiler) I balked at the American GIs killing the two POWS, and the moments when the General asks his fellow officer to lop off his head and at the last moment the young officer is shot and killed. The final scenes however come back and save the picture from Hollywoods almost constant insistence for going over the top.
    As a man born just after WWII and an American and a fellow who met and talked with our soldiers who went through and lived the Batan Death March horror , my view of the Japanese military borders on real hate and when you throw in the hell of Nanking, moves into loathing..I understand the ancient codes of the Samurai, much of which is too be admired and emulated.When that code looses all humanity or compassion and it turns into mass suicide it is totally corrupt.The general fights to win at all cost as though leading his men to certain death by delaying the end of the battle or conclusion of the war has any real chance when he knows it does not.The story I have heard of the last days of the battle for Iwo were a relentless artillery bombardment and then the ghastly business of US Marines having to go in with flame throwers cave by cave.While there were some Bonsai charges thats not the way the battle ended. To the larger issue ,is it a revisionist propaganda film? It is when you realize that all human beings for the most part are not devoid of human decency and we need to be reminded of that.The charge may have some validity when it shows Gis killing two POWS and Japanese lending comfort to an American GI. Japanese barbarity across all fronts without exception is notorious.On the other hand I think it can be said most Germans and Japanese were not clamoring for war or desirous of genocide or the barbarity which became the status quo. It was created by some very twisted and sick leaders.Its not like we US citizens are by birth immune from it.My God we are beginning to accept war under false pretense and torture as acceptable. This film challenged me to think about the Japanese side more compassionately. It moved me and it is incredibly good on many levels and I think its a good counter point to a lot of our sides propaganda.I am however still uncomfortable with the implied lie that it is based on documentary evidence .That will take some further research on my part.As an artistic and fictional film made to get over a point I think it has all the markings of a great film.As an actor I can say the acting work in all cases is stellar.From a film makers point of view the script is good in relation to pace and action but a little lacking in quality of dialogue,cinematography excellent,The incredible use of color which almost fades into black and white is Iwo Jima.The sound is great dialog is crisp and center,surround is effective and well balanced. The editing is compelling without any ham handed smash cutting.The acting and direction superb,the officer with the death of his horse,the reveal of the of the labeled zealot,the confession of the general who wants to live,the perfectness of the custom radio broadcast song, all delicate and deep with great power. Costumes effects and stunts real without hokey cliche,the bombing runs about as good as it gets.
    Overall maybe its the power of the Japanese culture or the theme maybe the superb work of all the craftsman , the best thing I can say about this film is, I felt honored to watch it. Whether it is a documentary or a artwork it moved me.That after all is the job of the great film maker.Congratulations Master Clint Eastwood.
  15. Apr 23, 2013
    One of the best war movies that has come along for a long time. It truly shows the despair and sorrow in the Japanese soldiers that didn't want to participate in the war; ordinary people with ordinary jobs. Superb acting, superb directing, superb cinematography: Clint Eastwood has made another masterpiece. Those out there that get scared away by the fact that they're talking Japanese areOne of the best war movies that has come along for a long time. It truly shows the despair and sorrow in the Japanese soldiers that didn't want to participate in the war; ordinary people with ordinary jobs. Superb acting, superb directing, superb cinematography: Clint Eastwood has made another masterpiece. Those out there that get scared away by the fact that they're talking Japanese are really missing something. Expand
  16. Jul 3, 2014
    Clint Eastwood Sinemasının muhteşem filmlerinden biri daha. 2.Dünya savaşına Japonya gözünden bakmak gerekirse muhteşem bir yapım olmuş. Puanım: 10/9.2
  17. ReidF.
    Jan 27, 2007
    Clint Eastwood released two movies this year about the World War II Battle of Iwo Jima. The first (
  18. LinaD.
    Feb 11, 2007
    The film is amazing and helped us understand our enemy better.
  19. BrandonK.
    Feb 7, 2007
    A fantastic film. It feels like a vintage Akira Kurosawa film, with a slightly slow pace which takes time to allow its characters to reflect, while also not neglecting sporadic, chaotic action scenes throughout the film. To those that say it is revisionist, I disagree. The film does an admirable job of showing the militaristic fascism of the japanese while also not demonizing them. There A fantastic film. It feels like a vintage Akira Kurosawa film, with a slightly slow pace which takes time to allow its characters to reflect, while also not neglecting sporadic, chaotic action scenes throughout the film. To those that say it is revisionist, I disagree. The film does an admirable job of showing the militaristic fascism of the japanese while also not demonizing them. There were only a few hundred japanese left alive out of 22,000. Franklly, I do not believe that THAT many of them were suicidal fanatics. Instead I do believe that many Americans killed prisoners out of fear, anger or whatever. It does not make America bad, only those soldiers. Those soldiers are the same in any war, which is Eastwood's entire point. There are slight tweaks to history, for example, where the officer brings his horse to the island, it was actually left in Japan, but in my opinion that enhances the story. A great film. Collapse
  20. BenW.
    May 21, 2007
    This is the one of the finest anti war film I've ever seen, I don't care what those narrow minded people like Steve said, I personaly enjoy it very much .
  21. MikeH.
    Jun 10, 2007
    This is simply one of the most moving and effective war movies ever made. Everything from the script, the cinematography, and Eastwood's masterfull direction makes this a war film not to be miss.
  22. PaulM.
    Jul 9, 2007
    Believe me - this is one of the best war films of all time. It fully captures the anxiety of war in a way that few films have been able to achieve. The script, direction, acting and pacing are all flawless.
  23. BrandonS.
    Apr 2, 2008
    I am rarely sucked into a movie so emotionally as this. It is supreme in its message as a war film, and you cannot help but feel for the characters as if they were real people. I felt a knot in my throat by the end of the movie. Extremely well done and highly recommended to anyone who is even slightly interested. You really get a feel for the Japanese culture at the time and the struggles I am rarely sucked into a movie so emotionally as this. It is supreme in its message as a war film, and you cannot help but feel for the characters as if they were real people. I felt a knot in my throat by the end of the movie. Extremely well done and highly recommended to anyone who is even slightly interested. You really get a feel for the Japanese culture at the time and the struggles and dilemmas these people had to endure. Expand
  24. Rohnanc.
    Oct 19, 2007
    So true. for one time, the story not from the north American side where they always have to save the world. A big farce indeed that historic moment for the American where everyone had been long forgotten now. Tragic Japan ! A very very good movie, directed by a very good Clint Eastwood. Not to be missed.
  25. JerryW.
    Jan 21, 2007
    Somewhat disjointed at times but thoroughly enjoyable and thought-provoking. This film is all the more appreciable if you come from a Japanese background, or possess enough knowledge of the language to get past the sometimes contrived subtitles. Masterfully directed, and a very fitting film to show the human side of war.
  26. Heikki
    Jan 2, 2007
    To Asian P.-Japanese annexation of Korea lasted from 1910 to 1945. Maybe he is confusing Korea with Taiwan (but he would still be wrong). China, Korea, Taiwan are three entirely distinct, separate nations-they in no way present a united perspective on a given topic. As for the movie itself, it's not as good as either Saving Private Ryan or The Thin Red Line, but still pretty good.
  27. BibliotechaS.
    Jan 20, 2007
    Great film! I saw Flags of Our Fathers December of last year and this Letters from Iwo Jima improves upon Flags, which though I liked, didn't fully appreciate until I saw this one. I cried toward the end. This is a powerful movie. Eastwood does his homework.
  28. KentErickson
    Jan 23, 2007
    Fantasy get a life. Yes the Japanese bombed us at Pearl Harbor and we should never forgive them for that. But does that mean that every Japanese person and every soldier agreed with that decision? Thats like saying every Middle Eastern person is a terrorist, its just ridiculous and very stereotypical. The soldiers that fought our brave soldiers on Iwo Jima had families and loved onesFantasy get a life. Yes the Japanese bombed us at Pearl Harbor and we should never forgive them for that. But does that mean that every Japanese person and every soldier agreed with that decision? Thats like saying every Middle Eastern person is a terrorist, its just ridiculous and very stereotypical. The soldiers that fought our brave soldiers on Iwo Jima had families and loved ones too, and they were not really much different from us. They all make fun of the other branches, Marines make fun of Navy and so on, just like our service people here do. And also as many soldiers would say, they didnt agree with their governments war, just as many of our soldiers didnt and dont today with Iraq. So yes Japan bombed us, and my heart goes out to all the families who lost loved ones, but you should be mad at the generals and the higher order people like the emperor of Japan at the time and not Japanese people in general, do you really think most wives wanted them to attack us, knowing their husbands would be going to battle, I highly doubt it, this movie does a great job in showing that even the enemy has compassion and families and a story to tell, and we can learn a lot more about history listening to both sides of the story, inlcuding both sides of a war/conflict. Or maybe Fantasy we should just stick to the American story right, were the only ones who died in WWII arent we? Expand
  29. JimF.
    Jan 29, 2007
    A true masterpiece. It is better than Flags Of Our Fathers in my opinion. Subtitles don't excite me, but it took nothing away from this film. I put this in the top five films I have ever seen. I grew up in Japan and lived there for 10 years. I can vouch for the cultural authenticity of the movie.
  30. ShaneS.
    Jan 29, 2007
    Some of these comments are really perplexing. So many are denouncing this movie because it humanizes Japanese soldiers--as if they weren't human beings to begin with. The film could easily have faltered, but it was actually quite evenhanded. I think some people are missing the point. We're not supposed to see this film as something only to get us to think about how our enemies Some of these comments are really perplexing. So many are denouncing this movie because it humanizes Japanese soldiers--as if they weren't human beings to begin with. The film could easily have faltered, but it was actually quite evenhanded. I think some people are missing the point. We're not supposed to see this film as something only to get us to think about how our enemies must feel, too--of course, that's also the point--but we're supposed to see that blindly following orders is something that everybody does, and it reminds us of how deeply embedded culture is within us all. It is films like these that actually try to change our perspective. If this film is discounted because it grants sympathy to the opposing side, then we're truly getting nowhere. Expand
  31. BillM.
    Jan 9, 2007
    The most gripping, heart-rending movie I have ever seen. Gruesome, savage yet graceful and tragic.
  32. AlexS.
    Feb 11, 2007
    It's the most beutiful and wonderful film.
  33. MiguelD.
    Feb 11, 2007
    It's the first time that a WWII American movie tells the story by the other side, and that is a remarkable step in the Hollywood industry. But the point is that in war men of both sides are human beings, and we have to judge them by that... it's wrong to say that one side are the good ones and the other the evils (that is only possible to say for the nation leaders of the time, It's the first time that a WWII American movie tells the story by the other side, and that is a remarkable step in the Hollywood industry. But the point is that in war men of both sides are human beings, and we have to judge them by that... it's wrong to say that one side are the good ones and the other the evils (that is only possible to say for the nation leaders of the time, but not for the soldiers or even the generals that obey superior orders). It's true that the japanese commit brutal war crimes (most in China, Phillipines and Korea), but the US also did.... remembered Iroshima and Nagasaki nuclear stikes?? More than 100,000 civilians died at one instant, that was not fare! (but that was a decision of the US military headquarters). Without that bombs the japs would never surrender until the last man was killed fighting to defend his land (that was the mentallity of the japanese people at that time). Expand
  34. MarkB.
    Feb 22, 2007
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country", uttered General George Patton as memorably interpreted by George C. Scott in the first two minutes of You-Know-What. "He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for HIS country." And though Patton fought Germans, not Japanese, the principle, as Clint Eastwood powerfully illustrates in Letters From Iwo Jima, remains the same: "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country", uttered General George Patton as memorably interpreted by George C. Scott in the first two minutes of You-Know-What. "He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for HIS country." And though Patton fought Germans, not Japanese, the principle, as Clint Eastwood powerfully illustrates in Letters From Iwo Jima, remains the same: the pivotal battle location became a bloodbath for the Japanese fighting forces because, in instructing the men that they would most likely NOT leave the island alive, their commanders were inadvertently setting them up to BE the poor dumb bastards. The second half of Eastwood's duo of pictures that don't so much commemorate Iwo Jima as put it under a microscope, Letters is far more effective than the previous Flags of Our Fathers because it's much less fussily pretentious (especially in its use of flashbacks) and tells a far more focused, disciplined story that doesn't go in endless different directions. Tom Stern's "practically-black-and-white" cinematography works more powerfully here, too, because it underlines Letters' depiction of the futility of this battle for the Japanese by pictorially depicting its location, which is defined early on as a vital strategic post, as inhospitable and unworldly, more like a meteorite than anyplace recognizable on earth. It's fascinating to watch Eastwood in the late stages of his directorial career seemingly doing everything possible to completely redefine its early and middle sections: the intensely pacifistic Western Unforgiven cancels out the larkily ultraviolent work he did for Sergio Leone and others by demonstrating just how valuable human life is and how painful its loss; the anti-mob justice drama Mystic River seriously questions the law-and-order ethics of his Dirty Harry series, and his Iwo Jima films negate the rowdy, Late-Late-Show hyperpatriotism of his Grenada opus Heartbreak Ridge. But before liberals start firing up the veggieburger grills to welcome Eastwood as one of their own, they should keep in mind that Clint (who as far as I know is still a Republican) is nothing if not impossible to pigeonhole, and Letters From Iwo Jima, for all its implicit commentary on the futility of war, also violates one of the primary tenets in the ultra-liberal handbook: while honoring and treasuring the lives of the individual Japanese fighting men and their likable commander General Kuribayashi (Ken Watanabe), it's also quite unsparing in its criticism of a national culture and mindset that in many ways contributes to their doom. There are enough ritualistic suicides to rival any film made about the People's Temple in Jonestown, and the Japanese code of combat as depicted here shamefully and unnecessarily wastes human life by advocating dying "honorably" over trying to survive to fight another day. In a time and place such as our own, when making even obvious, justifiable generalizations about another nationality, religion or culture has become so verboten that even an airline's very sensible recent act of arresting a group of suspiciously-behaving Muslim passengers who seemed to be preparing to hijack a plane is placed under ridiculous scrutiny, Eastwood deserves commendation for doing the near impossible. In Letters From Iwo Jima he's managed to be politically correct AND incorrect at the same time! Expand
  35. Kayla
    Feb 26, 2007
    A masterpiece, now understand why the criticizes world-wide says it that!!!! Clint Eastwood is the best director!!!!!
  36. Kitch_Man
    Feb 7, 2007
    This is not a war film that will be accessible to every viewer, especially those who are only used to soaking up the typical American propaganda war films of the past half century. Of course there are going to be those right winged/
  37. TimmyD
    Apr 3, 2007
    I disagree with Steve; this movie shows that stereotypes are not always true. While the movie probably did make up certain parts, it gives a totally different view on the war, this time showing a man who was taken from his home and doesnt want to fight.
  38. NathanC.
    Apr 4, 2007
    A truly emotional and gripping movie, with an intresting plot perspective not typcial of most American movies. This movie should have won best picture instead of the Departed, even though the Departed was not to bad.
  39. HenryV.
    Apr 8, 2007
    A bleak yet beautiful World War II dazzler, that is as much a meditation of honor as it is a powerful anti-war movie.
  40. AlexKapsaskis
    May 29, 2007
    I honestly think that this is the best movie I have ever seen. The first hour and a half or so is very slow, but it does help to build toward the fantastic anding. No, it is not saying that what Japanese leaders decided to do was okay. It has nothing to do with that. It simply tells a story that reveals that the Japanese soldiers were no different than the American soldiers. They hadI honestly think that this is the best movie I have ever seen. The first hour and a half or so is very slow, but it does help to build toward the fantastic anding. No, it is not saying that what Japanese leaders decided to do was okay. It has nothing to do with that. It simply tells a story that reveals that the Japanese soldiers were no different than the American soldiers. They had families waiting for them to come home. They wanted the war to end. They wanted to fight for their country and their honor. The meaning of this film is that every war is a civil war. We're all human. This film reminds me of a quote from Ernest Hemingway: "Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a
    crime." That is completely true, and the scene where an American murders two Japanese POWs is very upsetting. In the end, this is an amazing war film and if you are one of the reviewers who hated it because it didn't depict the Japanese soldiers as barbarians, you are just extremely ignorant. One person even said that it was offensive to all U.S. veterans because it showed that the Japanese soldiers were not savages. If you would deny someone the right to live because of how they are portrayed in the media, you are a disgrace to all humans.
  41. JonA.
    May 29, 2007
    This movie does not glorify war or the japanese, nor does it show the americans as the bad guys. What it does do, it shows how savage war is, without the glory. To the people who think it shows the japanese in a better light than america they miss the point. Pon R said it best. Take it as an anti-war film.
  42. LeonardoP.
    Jan 9, 2008
    A very good movie that make you stay awake all the time. I 'm very impressed in how Clint Eastwood made this movie so perfectly even when he had to direct various actors speaking other language. The theme song of the movie is very pretty too, congratulations to Kyle Eastwood.
  43. PeterA.
    Feb 17, 2008
    War is Hell for anyone in or near it. Letters portrays it from the perspective of several Japanese soldiers based on letters written by them. While fiction, perhaps, in many specific details, the feel is authentic and the cinematography and acting is excellent. Most Japanese soldiers and officers were merciless brutes to their adversaries, their captives, the peoples they subjugated - and War is Hell for anyone in or near it. Letters portrays it from the perspective of several Japanese soldiers based on letters written by them. While fiction, perhaps, in many specific details, the feel is authentic and the cinematography and acting is excellent. Most Japanese soldiers and officers were merciless brutes to their adversaries, their captives, the peoples they subjugated - and often their own people. However some were not. The tragedy of these individuals, trapped in the Japanese military culture and circumstances of their time is well illustrated by this film. I am thankful that the Japanese military culture was defeated. However, for those that condemn all Japanese because of their collective behavior in and before WWII, and can therefore see no merit in this film or any Japanese of the time - consider that in times past - many Americans of European descent treated the naive American indians in similar or worse ways. Expand
  44. RyanM.
    Mar 16, 2008
    possibly the best war movie of all time. What is so great about this movie is that it really shows that war is a living hell and it does an amazing job sending out that message. its compainion, Flag of our Fathers, is also pretty good, but letters from Iwo Jima is simply amazing.
  45. GrahamM.
    Dec 22, 2006
    To kill in war is no better than ordinary murder. Letters from Iwo Jima is a masterpiece, a beautiful and emotional depiction of how evil war truly is and that the people on the other side were not monsters, rather were people who were just like the ones on the other side. Looking at both sides of a war such as this reveals the truth of the true evil of war.
  46. AS
    Dec 27, 2006
    War is never fair, killing is never right no matter how it happens. Regardless, people are forced to fight wars for their countries, and eventually, the great mistakes made in war teach us invaluable lessons. Letters is a great story that focuses on human beings caught in a tough war. Often enemies are perceived as a heartless empty foe, so Iwo Jima is a first for allowing us to War is never fair, killing is never right no matter how it happens. Regardless, people are forced to fight wars for their countries, and eventually, the great mistakes made in war teach us invaluable lessons. Letters is a great story that focuses on human beings caught in a tough war. Often enemies are perceived as a heartless empty foe, so Iwo Jima is a first for allowing us to understand the war from two sides. With all the propoganda in existence since the World Wars, this is a first in history and a very important film. Japan and the US are both great countries and have since become great allies. Expand
  47. NonasianWawawiwa
    Dec 30, 2006
    Wow some "asian People" have a big mouth here.
    Wow some "asian People" have a big mouth here.
    Were now entering the global era.Where we you.There's no Japanese or Chinese or White or Black or whatsoever.You know what if you're saying this movie suck because you don't like it that was out of this context.You're being such a racist till the day you die.Japanese will always be Japanese.What they've done was evil BUT you don't do anything different by being such racist.Do us a favor.If you hate the Japanese so much then go kill them,don't post stupid comments,shut the **** up please.Were critics not RACIST.
  48. SusanF.
    Jan 15, 2007
    With all of the ethnic, religious and cultural tension existing in the world, and with the current war in Iraq, this film especially hit my heart hard. It made me feel connected to people all over the world, and made me recognize how we humans are so much more alike than different. One of the best films I have ever seen.
  49. PaulK.
    Jan 19, 2007
    Not even remotely a fan of war movies...but I was completely won over. See it.
  50. shadow
    Jan 19, 2007
    Don't listen to the people like Fantasy, for obviously they didn't watch the movie, or are just unbelievably ignorant. This film is not about Japan, it's about the soldiers of Japan, and what they were facing in the impossible situation on Iwo Jima.
  51. VincentH.
    Jan 26, 2007
    A utter masterpiece, plain and simple. In fact, this film only reaffirms in my mind that Clint Eastwood is one of our greatest living filmmakers in the world.
  52. JTapper
    Jan 28, 2007
    An anti-war film of the highest magnitude.
  53. FabiB.
    Feb 11, 2007
    It's a beutiful and fantastic film.
  54. Legendary
    Feb 11, 2007
    Udoubtedly one of the best World War II movie I've seen. Artistically, this film is beautiful. The high contrast, low saturation cinematography burns every image of the film into your mind, leaving you to think about it for days after viewing it. Seeing a war movie from the "enemies" point of view is such a fresh and brilliant idea... I can't believe it's not something Udoubtedly one of the best World War II movie I've seen. Artistically, this film is beautiful. The high contrast, low saturation cinematography burns every image of the film into your mind, leaving you to think about it for days after viewing it. Seeing a war movie from the "enemies" point of view is such a fresh and brilliant idea... I can't believe it's not something that's done more often at this level. For those people that seem to be disgusted with the fact that Eastwood portrays these Japanese soldiers as "nice guys", I think you're failing to see the humanity injected into this film. Those average japanese soldiers were regular guys, just like the Americans that stormed the beach. At no time does Eastwood show Japanese soldiers sympathizing with the Americans, or vise versa. The message is crystal clear... they're just regular men caught up in a war not of their own making. They're not "Evil Japs", contrary to what propaganda would have you believe. A great message, and a lesson to be learned about the human condition. Expand
  55. LilianL.
    Feb 13, 2007
    It's the first time that a WWII American movie tells the story by the other side, that is great and this film is a masterpiece.
  56. RickL.
    Feb 22, 2007
    A beutiful film, but this was intense and brilliant!!! It's a masterpiece
  57. Rory
    Feb 22, 2007
    This film is great and the acting was brilliant, emotional, looking at both sides of a war such as this reveals the truth of the true evil of war.
  58. EdN.
    Feb 23, 2007
    Great portrayal of the famous Japanese genral who masterminded the defense of the vital island of Iwo Jima. Interesting view into the mentality of Japanese thinking of the 1940's. In some ways, there is a strong relationship between the Japanese and curent enemies and their willingness to die, sucide, etc., for their ideaologies.
  59. DamonB.
    Apr 28, 2007
    This is perhaps the finest war movie I've ever seen.
  60. TerryC.
    May 21, 2007
    Excellent movie...very inspiring as an antiwar movie.
  61. RichardC.
    Jul 16, 2007
    A masterpiece, one of the greatest 'anti-war' films of all time. Slow moving in parts and deeply contemplative, you have to let it take you into its own rhythms and currents for one of the deepest explorations of the tragedy of war ever put on film.
  62. KevinL.
    Feb 17, 2009
    This movie is absolutely beautiful. It's very touching. I'd recommend this over Flags of Our Fathers but that too is an amazing movie.
  63. RhyssC.
    Dec 29, 2006
    The triumph of this movie lies in its courage to depict the humanity of the soldiers fighting for a nation portrayed by history as the evil doer of World War II. The film is majestic and poetic in its approach and remain true in portraying the strength and sensitivity of the Japanese culture without justifying its misdeeds.
  64. PonR.
    Dec 29, 2006
    It's sad to see people who think this movie "glorifies". Imperial Japan or is trying to change history just because it shows that the Japanese soldiers were also human beings. There were no massacres of Chinese or Korean civilians on Iwo Jima so how can they expect a movie about Iwo Jima to show that? Letters From Iwo Jima is about the soldiers that fought and died regardless of It's sad to see people who think this movie "glorifies". Imperial Japan or is trying to change history just because it shows that the Japanese soldiers were also human beings. There were no massacres of Chinese or Korean civilians on Iwo Jima so how can they expect a movie about Iwo Jima to show that? Letters From Iwo Jima is about the soldiers that fought and died regardless of their national identity. We shouldn't forget that, at their core, they were all members of the human race. Expand
  65. Feb 21, 2015
    Absolutely amazing film, I cannot find a single flaw! For once we get to see war from the enemy perspective, and that is what made this film great. There is nothing more to say, amazing movie without doubt.

To the people who gave it a 0/10? Get over yourselves, imbeciles, review the movie itself, and don't base it on your opinions on the Japanese. Your reviews are invalid.
  66. Feb 22, 2015
    Probably the best movie directed from Clint Eastwood. The perspective of the war from the Japanese side was really compelling and their motives for the war were not that really different from ours.
  67. Mar 11, 2015
    For once its good to hear about the enemy's side of the story. That they are not as evil as they were made out to be. Just a bunch of soldiers prepared to defend their homeland with no possibility of surrender. I have watched many war movies and I have to say this is in my top 3 favorite movies. The movie is a great war story and I always find myself wanting to watch this move over and over again.

1. Now Eastwood turns on a dime and tackles not just his first war movie but two war movies of considerable scope and complexity. If he doesn't nail everything perfectly, he nevertheless has created a vivid memorial to the courage on both sides of this battle and created an awareness in the public consciousness at a most opportune moment about how war feels to those lost in its fog.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Taken together, "Flags" and "Letters" represent a genuinely imposing achievement, one that looks at war unflinchingly -- that does not deny its necessity but above all laments the human loss it entails.
  3. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    It's unprecedented, a sorrowful and savagely beautiful elegy that can stand in the company of the greatest antiwar movies.