5.6

1. Jan 6, 2014
    This is easily one of the best movies I've seen in the past few years. No story, no bull, pure cinema. I think it really needs to be experienced in a theater though because the sound design is phenomenal. This won't be everyone's, or even MOST people's, cup of tea, however if you are a fan of experimental or non narrative cinema then this is mandatory viewing. The scope is small but feels gigantic, the images are beautiful and haunting. Just go see it, hopefully you'll understand. Expand
  2. Oct 31, 2013
    Great movie making or oops, I forgot the "record" button was left on. Ummm, I am opting for the later. Some terrific visuals but extending them "forever" does not make them better, it only lessons the impact and tires the viewer. Editing, editing, editing. It sorely needs some!
  3. Oct 23, 2013
    Don't understand all the praise Leviathan is getting and why the critics and majority of the audience are loving it. To me, it's the worst documentary film ever made, and I love watching documentaries.
  4. May 16, 2013
    This film was lazy, inartistic, intentionally annoying and massively indulgent. The shots were mostly shaky head cams on the fishermen often too dark to see anything. Or the camera was dangled pell-mell in the wake and the audience watched long stretches (like 5 minutes with no cutaways) of churning bubbles. Or the cam was dropped in a pen of sloshing fish for 15 minutes--no music, no voice over, often no discernible images. The quality of filmmaking is the equivalent of when you leave your video camera on by accident and it bounces along by your leg filming the ground? That boring, throw-away less-than-B-roll mess? Leviathan. There were tiny snatches of beauty; the first shots of the birds were stunning--until they went on and on and on and then were repeated later in the film in the same hammeringly repetitive manner. Augh! Not "avant garde" but truly awful posing as important.

I love thoughtful docs and entertaining avant garde pieces... but this was the most punishing film to sit through, with so few moments of clarity, it made me angry. I pity the poor film students who will have to endure this exercise in bludgeoning boredom.

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Dec 12, 2013
    It’s really a radical experiment in non-fiction cinema – not seeking to enlighten or inform, but to disorientate us, practically to drown us, in a nightmare vision of the ocean’s power.
  2. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Nov 29, 2013
    The results – achieved through small cameras clipped to nets, masts and the crew – will hook some and induce seasickness in others.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Nov 29, 2013
    Not an easy watch, and something in which you must make an investment of attention – but a fascinating piece of work.