6.6

Oct 4, 2003
    People have called this movie dreary and pretentious. I found the movie full of heart. The lead character's quiet, undramatic determination to make amends without any hope or desire for forgiveness is refreshing. The character is transcending to a deeper level of acceptance and understanding.
  2. B.Randall
    Apr 14, 2003
    Audience erupted in applause at its conclusion.
  3. ChadS.
    Aug 8, 2004
    Billy Bob Thornton adds so much gravitas to the character of Manuel Jordan, you might miss his actions as being something akin to a dog, albeit, a sympathetic one. He's on this solemn mission to make ammends for a violent convenience store transgression, but because the sister of the boy he shot is pretty, he romances and sleeps with her instead. His chance for redemption is arrived Billy Bob Thornton adds so much gravitas to the character of Manuel Jordan, you might miss his actions as being something akin to a dog, albeit, a sympathetic one. He's on this solemn mission to make ammends for a violent convenience store transgression, but because the sister of the boy he shot is pretty, he romances and sleeps with her instead. His chance for redemption is arrived at by sheer happenstance. If you sleep with a man that murdered someone you loved without your knowledge, that's consensual rape. Adele Easley(Holly Hunter) doesn't learn about Manuel's true identity until the end. He hasn't achieved levity, because although his good deed makes up for that gunshot blast of yesteryear, his dirty deed is left straggling since Adele severs her tie with him. Manuel isn't an angel, which is more reason to give "Levity" a chance, a film that would've benefited greatly by losing an art flourish(Manuel being followed by the boy's ghost), or two(Thornton's voice-overs). Expand
  4. CherylT.
    Nov 1, 2004
    I guess when you have a personal history with guilt and redemption, this film is mesmerizing. I was breathless with anticipation watching someone else seeking redemption from their guilt, all the while knowing they wouldn't accept it even if it was offered.
  5. Jul 7, 2011
    Above average story about a man seeking redemtion and a new purpose in life. Billy Bob Thorton shines again in this well worth watching movie. This movie explores one mans challenges with dealing with his own mistakes. I think we have all have the desire to make amends from time to time. Therfore this movie can appeal to most audiences.
  6. Feb 24, 2013
    This movie has an amazing cast, but it was a bit slow moving for me. If this was a book that I could put down and pick up at will, it would have easily been 5 stars. It is so well written, but as a movie, it was quite slow.

1. A redemption allegory so poker-faced you might forget that redemption is supposed to be a good thing.
    An earnest but hopeless attempt to tell a parable about a man's search for redemption. By the end of his journey, we don't care if he finds redemption, if only he finds wakefulness.
  3. A film of almost paralyzing gravity and large ambitions that, almost inevitably, it can't quite meet.