8.4

1. Sep 30, 2014
    Terrible! It starts well but overall it is a real disappointment! It is a cheesy film, with not real artistic value whatsoever. It appeals to romanticism and sentimentality to gain the attention of the masses. The plot is weak and unrealistic. This is definitely one of the worst European movies I have seen!
  2. Feb 25, 2014
    Usually I'm not the kinda guy who would be saying that and most of the times when people write stuff like this they do not know what they are talking about but for this movie even I have to say : What the actual **** were the critics that gave this movie a negative review thinking?
    I can understand why you may have some problems with the movie but Edelstein and Co, are you ****ing serious? I am actually amazed by how far somebody who gets paid to review movies can NOT GET THE POINT OF THE GOD DAMN MOVIE THEY REVIEW. Just Wow.
    This is all I wanted to say. I will not write a review yet because I need more time for reflection. The score represents how I feel about the movie after the first watch.
  3. Jan 20, 2014
    i watched this movie not knowing what it's about, Honestly i just read the title and decided to watch it,
    and i had few laughs at the first hour, and i was convinced that this is a comedy movie with small events, kinda dumb comedy like Chaplin movies, and it wasn't until the last half hour of the movie that i realized that this movie about the holocaust and i was completely shocked by the fact that the movie just took a different path and i started to get mad because there was no signs of this happening, i might missed the word "Jews" on the book store door but that was it.
    and the terrible part is that they didn't even take the events that's been going on seriously,
    i do realize it's about the love between a father and his son, but the movie doesn't get any serious and start addressing things at all, and i was completely shocked by the fact that the main character just got killed and the movie didn't even show a little remorse for it, i felt so stupid.
  4. May 20, 2013
    Esta película es como indica el titulo,''Bella''.Merecidamente es actualmente la película italiana con mas éxito desde la época dorada de Federico Fellini con su ''La Dulce Vida''.Una obra maestra de todos los tiempos que llegara a todos los corazones que la visionen.
  5. May 4, 2013
    The best foreign film ever made by the best foreign director and actor. After seeing this movie, Roberto Beginini has become one of my heroes. I loved that it was all in Italian, and I love the story. I love the humor, the sadness, and the truth of this movie. One of my favorites.
  6. May 2, 2013
    In the tragic, but comic movie called “Life is Beautiful” directed by Roberto Benigni shows the life that people lived when the holocaust was happening. The movie takes a tragic event that happened in our history and twists it to seem comical and happy but shows what they had to go through and what they did to elderly people and children. I didn’t expect some things that happened toIn the tragic, but comic movie called “Life is Beautiful” directed by Roberto Benigni shows the life that people lived when the holocaust was happening. The movie takes a tragic event that happened in our history and twists it to seem comical and happy but shows what they had to go through and what they did to elderly people and children. I didn’t expect some things that happened to happen. I thought that when the guard took Guido and we heard the gun shot that he had stolen the gun from the guard and shot him. The movie take twists and turns to throw viewers off and think something else is going to happen. This movie makes the holocaust seem like it is not all bad and it lightens it up a bit when thinking about the holocaust and what they put them through. It shows that even something as tragic as the holocaust can still be portrayed as a comic and happy story. It takes all the bad out of what happened and brings out the good and hopefully puts in the back of your mind that it happened but we can make sure that nothing like this will ever happen again. In the end of the movie, it shows that with all the events Joshua had to go though, from hiding from Nazi’s to knowing his father was killed, he still can have a happy ending to a movie. After reading the book “Maus” and watching this movie, they have similarities that the characters go though. “Maus” shows more tragedy then the movie and it is more straight forward with what happened then the movie is. It’s makes it more difficult to read because it shows a lot more tragedy then the movie does. They both are showing the same story but in different ways so we can see how different people lived during the holocaust. Overall, The movie made something so tragic into a comedy and helped people understand that even though this event was very tragic on our history we can still get something good out of it. Expand
  7. Apr 29, 2013
    With an award winning film with a whole different perspective on what the Holocaust looked like, Roberto Benigni brings out the best in him even in the darkest hours of human history. A fresh and different look at the Holocaust captivates the audience and I in a way that isn’t determined by eye-candy or flashy action scenes. Life is Beautiful is one for the masses to definitely watch.With an award winning film with a whole different perspective on what the Holocaust looked like, Roberto Benigni brings out the best in him even in the darkest hours of human history. A fresh and different look at the Holocaust captivates the audience and I in a way that isn’t determined by eye-candy or flashy action scenes. Life is Beautiful is one for the masses to definitely watch.
    Taking place in Italy, Guido, a happy-go-lucky kind of man is happily traveling across Italy, and bumps into his future wife, Dora. As time goes on they get closer and eventually have a son. Once Germany starts its warpath however, Guido and his family’s life takes a dark turn as the Nazi’s begin to round up Jews and enemies alike. Guido and his family struggle through hardship and strife as they try to survive the hellish world of the Holocaust. However, the movie isn’t as serious and dark as one would think a Holocaust film would be. Roberto Benigni’s comical character comes into play throughout the whole movie, not disappointing any audience wishing to see his funny side.
    The comedy of the movie was splendidly executed at the right times without much overextension or too much visible effort. Guido’s entertaining personality is both a treat to the audience and to the movie itself, with Guido providing perfect synergy with the rest of the cast. With the cast and characters, the development of some characters were slow as they didn’t have much screen time in the movie, such as Dora, but in the end, the movie gives a good feel of all the characters’ personalities.
    The real shining star of this movie was the relationship between main characters, Guido and his son Joshua. In the worst times of their life, Guido somehow manages to persuade his infant boy that they’re actually playing a game, with the reward being a military standard tank. Knowing that the Holocaust will heavily affect Joshua if he gets out of their situation, Guido entertains his son with his lighthearted humor and with the promise of the tank, while keeping his son’s life and mentality intact. This unbreakable bond between father and son showcases how well Roberto used his character to work with Joshua, allowing the directing, writing and acting to really shine out.
    While how the movie actually plays out and presents the predicaments of each character may seem a bit far-fetched, it still is an unforgettable movie. A man that risks everything for his family in the worst of times and somehow making some comic relief is a hard piece of chemistry to get right, yet Roberto pulled it off nearly flawlessly. Life is Beautiful does indeed show that life truly can be beautiful like the film itself was.
  8. Apr 29, 2013
    I had the pleasure of watching “Life is Beautiful” in my English class. A deeply moving blend of dismal hilarity. Crafted by Italy's top comedian and most popular filmmaker Roberto Benigni. Guido, a Jewish bookseller, who marries his dream girl and lives the fantasy life with a son Joshua, Although the movie was about the holocaust, that was surprisingly not the point at all. In-factI had the pleasure of watching “Life is Beautiful” in my English class. A deeply moving blend of dismal hilarity. Crafted by Italy's top comedian and most popular filmmaker Roberto Benigni. Guido, a Jewish bookseller, who marries his dream girl and lives the fantasy life with a son Joshua, Although the movie was about the holocaust, that was surprisingly not the point at all. In-fact Roberto does very well at softening the impact of the holocaust.The first half of the film has nary a mention of Jews or war, we wouldn’t even suspect Guido as Jewish This movie was about sacrifice, hope and a loving passion. Benigni provides a most stunning example of precisely the sacrifice a parent is capable of making for their child in the gloomiest of hours. at the end Joshua narrates that this was his father's gift to him. in relation to a book called Maus by Art Spiegelman, tells a graphic novel story about his father and his sacrifices in the holocaust, on the flip side this is a son's gift to his father. the book parallels some of the same cinematic understanding of character relationship ratio. This is where character are placed strategically on screen. and simple dry humor. like the book Maus this movie also has a good balance of humor to dismal ideas. Life is beautiful is an inspiring movie that makes you wonder of all the things you have and shows you not to take it for granted the teachings and moral implications of this movie go beyond the Cliche story line and finds a way to deeply connect with viewers. Expand
  9. Apr 29, 2013
    “Life is Beautiful” was, for a lack of better words, a beautiful movie, full of love, compassion, and strength. Roberto Benigni was the perfect person to play Guido. His sense of humor was entertaining and the love he had for his wife and son was unbelievable. His personality made for an amazing movie. Guido reminded me of Vladek from Maus in the way that he was always trying to get“Life is Beautiful” was, for a lack of better words, a beautiful movie, full of love, compassion, and strength. Roberto Benigni was the perfect person to play Guido. His sense of humor was entertaining and the love he had for his wife and son was unbelievable. His personality made for an amazing movie. Guido reminded me of Vladek from Maus in the way that he was always trying to get out of the Holocaust alive, unlike some people who let themselves die. Just like Vladek, he was so incredibly in love with his wife and son and did anything it took to keep them alive. Expand
  10. Aug 8, 2012
    If you watched the beginning of this movie without knowing what the movie was about, you would think that this was a happy movie about a man who falls in love and raises a family. Well, that is what happens. And it is a happy story, until the main character and his son are taken to a concentration camp. Once there the main characters happy fairy tale is over, and he is separated from hisIf you watched the beginning of this movie without knowing what the movie was about, you would think that this was a happy movie about a man who falls in love and raises a family. Well, that is what happens. And it is a happy story, until the main character and his son are taken to a concentration camp. Once there the main characters happy fairy tale is over, and he is separated from his princess. But among the gloomy concentration camp where nothing is right, the main character tries to do what any father would do when everything is wrong. Make the situation seem better than what it really is. This is a movie worth seeing. Expand
  11. Jul 1, 2012
    And the dad of the year award goes to...

Let's face it, some of the humor can get annoying. The holocaust wasn't realistically portrayed. But that's not the point of the movie. The movie is about an awesome dad who is trying his hardest to protect his son.
  12. Nov 28, 2011
    Incredibly acted, funny as hell, incredibly beautiful picture. Much, much better than Shakespeare in Love. Deserved Best Picture. Didn't deserve Best Supporting Actress, but deserved Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Foreign Language Film, and Best Director. it only won 2 of them.
  13. Mar 21, 2011
    Roberto Benigni brought to the screen a most poignant and comedical film! He flipped around the devastation of the Holocaust and turned into a simple game most craftly. I love this movie and think everyone of all ages should watch this wonder of cinematic creation.
  14. Mar 1, 2011
    This was the sweetest, funniest and most human story that could have ever come out of the Holocaust. I am in no way the sub-title type and yet it had no negative effect, it may have even been positive because I liked hearing the Italian language.
  15. Jan 11, 2011
    I'm in my 60's. My daughter her 20's. We listed our favorite all-time films. Life is Beautiful was in both of our top 10 lists. Great film with one of the great scenes of all times. If you've seen this film you know which scene I'm talking about. We decided to watch it again soon. The best of film making.

1. Benigni sets out to do the impossible.
  2. Benigni effectively creates a situation in which comedy is courage. And he draws from this an unpretentious, enormously likable film that plays with history both seriously and mischievously. Piety has no place here, nor do tears until the final reel. Life is Beautiful plays by its own rules
  3. The indifference of the proceedings and the hero's slapstick behavior to the everyday realities of the camps borders on the nauseating.