7.8

1. May 25, 2014
    Before I decided to watch this movie I was extremely concerned that the plot involving a tiger in a small boat with a person in the ocean seemed extremely ludicrous, moronic and cartoonish! But my wife wanted to watch it so I overcame my opinion of the plot and decided to give the movie a chance in my viewpoint!
    After reaching the middle of the movie it took an immense amount of stamina
    to continue viewing a plot that most 7 year old children would find absurdly foolish. The incredibly slow stretch of this ambiguous story would put most adults to sleep half way through this movie! Also the character of the tiger was a bit more interesting than his human friend! If you have problems getting to sleep at night do not consider Lorazepam! Just begin this incredibly mind numbing movie and your mind will crash into a marvelous state of rest. This movie was nothing but indistinguishable language and complete abandonment of thought process because no brain matter has to be used to follow a plotless movie! Expand
  2. Apr 19, 2014
    The visual effects were actually pretty good but the movie is stupid .The movie is long and there is nothing spectacular in the movie.The story is really boring almost fall asleep during the movie.The critics are too gentle with the movie.
  3. Dec 8, 2013
    This movie was boring. There is no other way to put it. And where we're the religious undertones people are talking about? I must have fallen asleep.This is a movie I leave on my tv so I can fall asleep. Maybe you had to see it in the theater because at home at night you will nod off. This movie was done before and it was called castaway with Tom Hanks.
  4. Jul 28, 2013
    Boring, hippy dribble. Nice effects though. As far as hippy movies go, Avatar was at least entertaining. This movie I struggled to stay awake with. Skip it.
  5. Apr 29, 2013
    Pretentious and forcefull attempt to make you belive in god.
    Zero plot qualities, still, great visuals and awesome work with the tiger, not worth it.
  6. Apr 20, 2013
    Watching paint dry is more exciting than this. I cannot understand the amazing reviews, thought it was utter rubbish. The visuals and sounds were very good, but the story was extremely dull and lifeless it often induces deep sleep. The story generally had no meaning and drained of all life it fell asleep 10 mins in and didn't remember the ending or of anything that happened. I wanted to stop sooner i bored out of my mind. The 2 stats came from the visuals and sounds, not the movie Expand
  7. Apr 9, 2013
    Boring, stupid, more boring. I can't believe this movie was even made. Ang Lee needs to stop making films, he's a terrible director.
  8. Mar 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I fell asleep twice, boring and bad story. I have to ask someone what's the good in this movie? This movie is absolutely has no quality. I like the CGI effects actually... But the rest, absolutely terrible. Expand
  9. Mar 8, 2013
    I like CGI effects. But this whole movie is just one special effect. Now theres nothing wrong with a movie having special effects IF you dont notice them. In "Life of Pi" the special effects are noticable everywhere!
    Also, the story was ruined by the main character telling the story. Making all the suspence if he was going to survive or not. Obviously if he is telling the story, he lived
    to tell about it. and can make up anything he wants to. Bad story, bad special effects, no suspence. and boring one bad movie Expand
  10. Mar 1, 2013
    I passed on the movie for several week but relented when I saw it was popular at the Academy Awards. I should have gone with my initial instincts. The movie is mindless and a lot of glitter. Just about everything that is seen is computer generated and the story is a poor fabrication of gibberish. If it wasn't for the popcorn, the afternoon would have been a total waste of time.
  11. Jan 27, 2013
    Found this film dull and pretentious. Tries to be way to clever. Also kept laughing when I shouldn't. Richard Parker! We are dyiiiiing, boooo hooo Richard Parker, please don't eat me!' Oh just eat him will you. Let me see him being torn limb from limb in 3D, pleeeeease
  12. Jan 18, 2013
    The "Indian" accents are ridiculous. They make Apu of the Simpsons sound natural. The name of the leading character "Pi" is stupid. A Patel living in Pondicherry? Please.

The underlying themes of religion and spirituality made me want to throw things at the screen; but I just threw myself out of the movie. Awful. Worse than Avatar.
  13. Dec 2, 2012
    Read User reviews, most were good, so I went to see this movie. It was sooooooo violent!!! I do not see why it is rated "PG", it should be "R"!!! No child or teen should be exposed to the vicious, awful animal violence, that is unnecessarily shown In this movie!!! Third world countries should not be allowed in the UN if this is how they treat animals!!! Now there is a UN treaty I would dare Obama to pass: No violence against animals!!

Why would Ang Lee choose to unnecessarily choose to include the stupid Indian father taunting
    The tiger with a goat, for no good reason!!! Insanity!!! And there are more sick incidents!!!

I walked out after 20 minutes and got my money back! If you love animals you don't want too see this.
  14. Nov 23, 2012
    Dumb. Pretentious. Not conducive to willing suspension of disbelief. No redeeming qualities. I can't comprehend why anyone would think Ang Lee is a genius. Every one of his movies is boring. This one also put me to sleep.

1. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Dec 17, 2012
    To produce a coherent film from Martel's tricky novel would be achievement enough, but Ang Lee has extracted something beautiful, wise and, at times, miraculous.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 26, 2012
    Life of Pi, at its best, celebrates the idiosyncratic wonders and dangers of raw, ravaging nature, and Lee wrings more than enough meaning from the excitement of that spectacle; we need nothing higher. [26 Nov.2012, p.86]
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Mueller
    Nov 25, 2012
    A riot of saturated colour and delirious imagination, Ang Lee's adap radiates spirituality. But it's also a simple, thrilling and gently uplifting tale of a boy, a boat and a tiger. Take the plunge.