7.8

1. May 25, 2014
    Before I decided to watch this movie I was extremely concerned that the plot involving a tiger in a small boat with a person in the ocean seemed extremely ludicrous, moronic and cartoonish! But my wife wanted to watch it so I overcame my opinion of the plot and decided to give the movie a chance in my viewpoint!
    After reaching the middle of the movie it took an immense amount of stamina
    to continue viewing a plot that most 7 year old children would find absurdly foolish. The incredibly slow stretch of this ambiguous story would put most adults to sleep half way through this movie! Also the character of the tiger was a bit more interesting than his human friend! If you have problems getting to sleep at night do not consider Lorazepam! Just begin this incredibly mind numbing movie and your mind will crash into a marvelous state of rest. This movie was nothing but indistinguishable language and complete abandonment of thought process because no brain matter has to be used to follow a plotless movie! Expand
  2. May 18, 2014
    I loved this movie and I didn't think I would. When people told me it was amazing I wasn't believing them because I thought it would have been boring with pretty much only 1 actor for most of the movie, but I was wrong. It was amazing the acting was great and an amazing storyline from beginning to end. The special effects are what made the movie what it is. Knowing that the tiger was all computer animated was awesome as he looked so real. Also a couple other really cool scenes which special effects made awesome. A deserving winner of the Oscar for best special effects. Expand
  3. May 2, 2014
    With so much to talk about, like the stunning visuals, gorgeous cinematography, a good performance by Suraj Sharma, and an interesting sad story of survival, that makes us guess at the end, What can go wrong? Well the truth is that the movie is pretty solid, but somehow it deepens so much into the character, and leaves the audience by themselves, and it is unable to connect with the film.
  4. Apr 19, 2014
    The visual effects were actually pretty good but the movie is stupid .The movie is long and there is nothing spectacular in the movie.The story is really boring almost fall asleep during the movie.The critics are too gentle with the movie.
  5. Mar 3, 2014
    The CGI is obviously amazing but everything else doesn't really match the technology, its structure and the narrative being its main downpoints. The religion aspect just seemed stapled on to give the film deeper meaning but just comes off as being rather pretentious. If it were more coherently explored, it would've lifted the film considerably. Overall, all style and not so much substance.
  6. Feb 1, 2014
    i didn't pay enough attention as to why the family left for canada and there was no need to stick gerard depardieu in the film for the 2 secs he was on the screen, but, other than those two quibbles, loved it. so entranced by the tiger/boy relationship that, by the end of it, i was in tears. of the two "endings", i definitely chose the magical one.
  7. Jan 18, 2014
    A visually breathtaking film with a rich storyline. The film is crafted wonderfully thanks to Ang Lee's impeccable direction. Watching it makes for a great experience.
  8. Jan 7, 2014
    Primeiramente Pi, fabulosamente lindo, o uso do 3D fantástico e funciona como uma parte do filme o resto outra coisa.
  9. Dec 31, 2013
    Well, one of most expected movie of 2012 by me. It was not a colorful visual movie like 'Avatar' which was bluish Or 'Hugo' which was orangish except in few scenes that too come in night shot though IMO you should not compare it with above two. Many part of 3D sequences were just awesome.

It could have been more violent and sentimental story that ever told on this theme but not, the
    director cleverly blended the humor with character emotions very nicely, thats why it was just ratted PG where children are allowed with their parents approval, but it is common for them to see an animal to kill another in Animal Planet, so its not a big deal i think. The CGI animal(s) were looked so clean and good.

I must say the movie don't offer what you expect from its trailer, in movie it was totally different than any movie in the world except Waterworld Cast Away Castle in the Sky Life Of Pi, i am not comparing it to other 3 but saying got similarity in some parts.

I did not like the end much, I mean the way it ended was not proper, I thought it still had something to go far away then realized it happen only in commercial movies.

My question is can this movie do good business which got no big names and cast!? Indian cast, Taiwan's talent, American product and a great effort of various technicians from around the world is equal to LIFE OF PI in Pacific ocean over 227 days. Hoping it gonna grab couple of awards in Academy award. Worth watching it in 3D, Someday in future you can say that i was in there when it came out when it called epic like what we call some of classical movies today.

You could see better and beautiful India in beginning few Minutes than any Hollywood movie which deal on Indian subject. people from in and around Pondicherry can feel proud, why not whole Indians can. The images from the movie will remain in our eyes for some time even after you left the cinema hall specially may be you won't forget the name Richard Parker.

And now i go for 9 outa 10 saying must see specially we Indian coz we cant make movie like this at least for right now in our own but we can watch this western piece of Indian art carved Ang Lee.

There is a chance it gonna replace 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' as his (Ang Lee's) best, i said may be so lets see. Might be i am little excited for seeing it in preview show lets see what happens later days and what others say.

9½/10
  10. Dec 20, 2013
    this is gotta be one of the best movies i have ever seen in terms of visual effect, from the start to finish on every frame the director keeps shocking you with this stunning CGI, and the story is really good actually.
    the narrator part wasn't to my liking but it didn't bother me, also the guy who plays the writer character in the movie Rafe Spall have poor acting skills, but he's
    secondary character in the movie.
    but after all the movie is amazing experience in term of visuals.
  11. Dec 17, 2013
    The directing of this movie is amazing. The visuals and the scenes are so realistic. Amazing Ang Lee! So many complications and especially the climax!
  12. Dec 14, 2013
    When this film finished, I cried for about next 20 minutes after the credits rolled. Who knew a CGI tiger could break your heart into a million pieces?! Life of Pi is quite simply stunning film-making, packed with jaw dropping performances and an abundance of meaning.
  13. Dec 13, 2013
    Life of Pi is a wonderfully delivered adaptation of Yann Martel's novel, enriched with gorgeous visuals, strong performances and an emotionally moving story.
  14. Dec 8, 2013
    This movie was boring. There is no other way to put it. And where we're the religious undertones people are talking about? I must have fallen asleep.This is a movie I leave on my tv so I can fall asleep. Maybe you had to see it in the theater because at home at night you will nod off. This movie was done before and it was called castaway with Tom Hanks.
  15. Dec 6, 2013
    I know I've given a bunch of crap about director Ang Lee, but while this review means jack-sh*t about the director's talent (cough, cough), in a sense, "Life of Pi" is his best movie. It's the only one of his movies I've ever found somewhat tolerable. Here are some Pros: The score is really good. You really dig deep into the character of Pi; both through his human self and through the tiger "Richard Parker". I found it interesting at one point in the movie how certain characters can relate to the animals through seen in the movie and how it really affects your take on which story do you believe. Now for the Cons: The movie is really slow. It can really put someone to sleep. The first third of the movie is really uninteresting and lacks that quality of going through the life of a character. The story being set around an Indian really makes the movie feel pretentious, mostly relating to his multiple belief system. That really threw me off. And finally the visuals were not that good in my opinion. I didn't feel like I was being taken on an epic 3-D adventure like "Avatar" or "Gravity". I just wasn't convinced that I was on an epic adventure. Overall, the 2nd half really weighs over the first half (in its slow way). Honestly, this movie is about a 5.5, so I give it a C+. Expand
  16. Sep 23, 2013
    Pi tries to explain his name early on as a child, deciding full name given my his parents was more of a hindrance than anything else, these early moments outline a normal child in a normal situation, but this miraculous film finds its stride as Pi and his family must take sail from India to Canada to set up their failing zoo, this alone sets up a decent tone for the film but natural causes come about when a massive storm throws everything into chaos as Pi ends up stranded on a lifeboat with an unforgiving tiger. The film opens in a colourful fashion with bright things and wonderful visuals, a film this good-looking hasn't been around since Avatar and these visuals are truly masterful, there is nothing quite like the spectacle when Pi, played for most of the film by Suraj Sharma, is attempting to survive on sea, witnessing many creatures of the deep while also keeping an eye on his fellow survivor, but survive being the most important part, the sea can be harsh, but a tiger whose only wish is to eat you can be so much deadlier. Director Ang Lee tells a lifelong story as an older Pi (Irrfan Khan) depicts his adventures, he does this in such poetic and beautiful fashion, showing an uneasy but necessary partnership between man and animal but still showing that animals can truly be unforgiving. Much of the film is Pi's attempt to train the tiger, named Richard Parker, their co-existence proving vital as the film unfolds. The film takes much of its spectacle from a study of faith, as we learn that Pi is intrigued by the various forms that a spiritual being may take, he often speaks to God, and also accepts that his life may soon be coming to an end. Miraculous occurrences and anomalies could suggest he may indeed be playing a part, some of the scenes where Pi shouts to the sky are quite breathtaking.
    The winning formula of the film not only comes from the spectacular fantasy of the visuals, but from a very touching, tragic and a moving piece of colourful mastery that combines two unlikely companions while also dealing with many lifelong issues that Pi faces in a short space of time, he must overcome these insecurities if he wants to survive. It's quite a dream and quite an adventure, with an ending that questions what exactly is true and what isn't, it's left up to the viewer, pave it out for yourself, a magnificent achievement and a landmark in storytelling and visuals. Not only one of the best looking films of the last few years, but a story that couldn't be told better or in a more colourful fashion.
  17. Sep 15, 2013
    I only have one problem with this movie.I just wish they would allow the movie to tell the story instead of a person in it.The start of this movie was kind of annoying for this very reason, but I`m glad I watched it, cause it starts to get really fun once he gets on the Ship.The effects are great, the story is great, and has a good message.
  18. Sep 11, 2013
    I liked this movie alot. I really enjoyed the acting and all the characters. The setting is depressing at times, but the overall meaning and symbolism is amazing. I recommend this movie.
  19. Sep 8, 2013
    An extremely impressive film on many levels. Life of Pi isn't perfect, but it's still a must see movie experience. First off, this is one of the most visually impressive films ever made, with beautiful, colorful seascapes, and visual effects right up there with Avatar. It has moments of true amazement and cinematic brilliance amidst a well told story and a solid central performance. The score is also extremely good, and creates just the right mood of wonderment mixed with sorrow. The movie is somewhat uneven however. It feels at times like it plays things too safe. There definitely could have been some more out there moments during the sea voyage, and the scenes taking place back on land, while decent, seem somewhat dull. I also didn't like how the film endorses mixing religions together, and the fact that the story is being told in retrospect by an older Pi doesn't work very smoothly. These nitpickings aside, I still really enjoyed this memorable and at times very moving movie. I'd even recommend buying it. Expand
  20. Aug 18, 2013
    "Life of Pi" is moving, deep, and a marvelous look at faith and spirituality. It brings back fond memories of stories like "Swiss Family Robinson". It's just a joy to behold. It constantly kept me on my toes with tense stand-off moments where I didn't know what would happen next, and the way it kept me engaged in it even during its slower moments is truly impressive even if it did have somewhat of a slow start. Truly "Life of Pi" is a must see experience that will stick with you long after its conclusion. Expand
  21. Aug 5, 2013
    Loved it from the start to the end. I recommend it to every one!

What I really like about the movie is the original story and the character development. After the movie you keep on thinking about it, what I really like. It's based upon a book, which I read (after I saw the movie). The movie is well based on the book, although (like in all the movies based upon books) they don't put the
    'details' into it. Which seems to very hard to really put all the 'details' in it.

Watch it!
  22. Aug 3, 2013
    I see a lot of reviews attacking the movie on the assumption that the writers are trying to make you believe in god. The symbolism of the movie is obviously lost on such viewers. I'm not very religious or spiritual, but I still found this movie to be incredibly compelling on a introspective level. Even if you don't care about spirituality (or lack of), the movie still invokes strong emotions from displaying the triumph of the human spirit. A very powerful movie indeed. Expand
  23. Jul 30, 2013
    It is a GREeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeAT Movie
    one of the best of 2012
  24. Jul 28, 2013
    Boring, hippy dribble. Nice effects though. As far as hippy movies go, Avatar was at least entertaining. This movie I struggled to stay awake with. Skip it.
  25. Jul 28, 2013
    A great movie with some beautiful scenery. It starts off very slowly but once the story really gets going things get interesting. The story is told by an older Pi about his past which breaks up the story and slows down the action, it could have been better with out that.
  26. Jul 20, 2013
    I must say a word about fear. It is life's only true opponent. Only fear can defeat life. It is a clever, treacherous adversary, how well I know. It has no decency, respects no law or convention, shows no mercy. It goes for your weakest spot, which it finds with unnerving ease. It begins in your mind, always so you must fight hard to express it. You must fight hard to shine the light of words upon it. Because if you don't, if your fear becomes a wordless darkness that you avoid, perhaps even manage to forget, you open yourself to further attacks of fear because you never truly fought the opponent who defeated you. Expand
  27. Jun 28, 2013
    Life of Pi is a rather odd movie. At times, I was completely wrapped up in this beautiful ocean, and at other times the movie just suspended my disbelief way to much. There's no way a whale just happened to hit a small boat in the ocean. Nope.
    The movie looks amazing, though. And the ending is very well done too.
  28. May 28, 2013
    Master Director Ang Lee and Cinematographer Claudio Miranda deliver the most visually-stunning, beautiful film since...Never. Never has there been such a beautiful, fantastically written picture that draws both the eyes and the heart of its audience. While some compare this film to James Cameron's Avatar, I completely disagree. Life of Pi excels in the one area where Avatar was lacking: It has a plot. Another clear difference is Pi's sheer beauty. The fact that Life of Pi's visuals are more believable than Avatars' in addition to its lack of bloody war scenes, clearly makes it the most gorgeous picture ever made. Expand
  29. May 21, 2013
    I delayed watching this film for a long time, thinking it wouldn't live up to its hype. Stories set at sea seldom interest me. Although the film takes no time taking us to the sea, the buildup to it was done pretty good. I even forgot we would be taken there momentarily. Life of Pi is about life, faith, and holding onto your beliefs in the face of hardships and tragedy. The allegories were amazing. You have to watch the film to know what I mean. But I found the climax a bit lackluster. I think its unforgivable especially for the visual medium to ignore the 'Show don't tell' principle. The impact could have been many times greater. Expand
  30. May 5, 2013
    First I taught the movie was very stupid because off the trailer, but it isn't a stupid movie, this movie is actually one of the best movie's of 2012. Life of Pi is a well made movie from one of the biggest directors of all time: Ang Lee. Ang Lee created an excellent work for young and old. The writer did an excellent work to. Really the best family film of 2012, I am sure about that.

1. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Dec 17, 2012
    To produce a coherent film from Martel's tricky novel would be achievement enough, but Ang Lee has extracted something beautiful, wise and, at times, miraculous.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 26, 2012
    Life of Pi, at its best, celebrates the idiosyncratic wonders and dangers of raw, ravaging nature, and Lee wrings more than enough meaning from the excitement of that spectacle; we need nothing higher. [26 Nov.2012, p.86]
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Mueller
    Nov 25, 2012
    A riot of saturated colour and delirious imagination, Ang Lee's adap radiates spirituality. But it's also a simple, thrilling and gently uplifting tale of a boy, a boat and a tiger. Take the plunge.