Like Crazy

7.4

1. Nov 25, 2011
    Early word from Sundance last January pegged Like Crazy as this years Blue Valentine largely due to its non-conventional and realistic approach at depicting on screen romance. While it's become refreshing to see film work against convention, Like Crazy struggles to maintain a convincing narrative which makes it hard to empathize with these characters. The film isn't without its charm.Early word from Sundance last January pegged Like Crazy as this years Blue Valentine largely due to its non-conventional and realistic approach at depicting on screen romance. While it's become refreshing to see film work against convention, Like Crazy struggles to maintain a convincing narrative which makes it hard to empathize with these characters. The film isn't without its charm. Felicity Jones shines throughout and is strong enough to recommend on that basis alone. I can't help but feel if the film was at the helm of a different director that it would of translated better on screen and created a stronger emotional impact by its "open-ending" conclusion. Expand
  2. Mar 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Never felt any passion, I didn't root for them and what's up with the ending? They both realized they lost what they had? they will live in misery for the rest of their lives? Any remorse for screwing up others, more than once? If it smoldered, if I cried with them, if I felt anything, I would forgive them. But alas....just a mostly arid, depiction of love built, love tested, love teetering, love lost.
    Some nice editing, a flash here and there,not quite poor, but close (C-).
  3. Dec 14, 2011
    I expected more. The movie is slow and acting is not too good. Despite these issues, Like Crazy is worth seeing. I'd recommend for anyone who can relate to the idea of life getting in the way of love.
  4. Nov 24, 2011
    Anton Yelchin plays an American college student who falls for British Felicity Jones. When she violates here visa, they're forced into a strained long-distance relationship. Most of the time is spent with the duo and they do manage to create a compelling couple. The movie is not particularly original and the dialogue, which is mostly adlibbed, feels talky and unfocused. If you're lookingAnton Yelchin plays an American college student who falls for British Felicity Jones. When she violates here visa, they're forced into a strained long-distance relationship. Most of the time is spent with the duo and they do manage to create a compelling couple. The movie is not particularly original and the dialogue, which is mostly adlibbed, feels talky and unfocused. If you're looking for a sweet and sour love story, you might enjoy this quickly-forgettable film. Expand
  5. Dec 10, 2011
    As a fan of indie-films I tried liking Like Crazy, I even thought the last 30 minutes of it was okay. However, the entire two-thirds of this movie just wasn't doing it for me. The story itself just wasn't that spectacular, and the director didn't do much to make the movie itself spectacular. It showcased some free-flowing editing that added a stylistic touch, but ultimately it did theAs a fan of indie-films I tried liking Like Crazy, I even thought the last 30 minutes of it was okay. However, the entire two-thirds of this movie just wasn't doing it for me. The story itself just wasn't that spectacular, and the director didn't do much to make the movie itself spectacular. It showcased some free-flowing editing that added a stylistic touch, but ultimately it did the characters little justice as we weren't given the time to empathize with them. The film was basically a slideshow, that hinted at events, but never fully realizes it. Despite the film being emotionally void, I did appreciate the performances which were naturalistic and true, but wasn't enough to save this movie from mediocrity. Expand
  6. Nov 25, 2011
    This experience isn't enough to make a movie about. I know people who've had experiences something like that -- some years of love, difficulty, breaking up, getting back together. It happens, but it's not enough. also, there was too much of beautiful faces, drinking, laughing people. Didn't anything ever happen to these people, when they didn't have a glass in their hands?
  7. Sep 1, 2014
    A charming and touching story through and through. Unfortunately, the latter half of the film lost its spark. Felicity Jones is a new young actress to watch following this role.
  8. Dec 7, 2013
    It is a cute movie. Felicity Jones and Anton Yelchin create an interesting couple in a lovely movie that starts to get slow and predictable some times, but the complementation with Jennifer Lawrence as Samantha reborn the film to a more accurate and neat one.
  9. Feb 18, 2015
    This movie had everything to be a perfect one, but then... not. Great actors with great performances, great scenes and light, and when it comes to give passion to the story it failed horribly. It is with regret that I think this movie is flat, from the beginning to the end. I'm not going to even comment the end...

1. Reviewed by: Liz Beardsworth
    Jan 30, 2012
    Felicity Jones shines in Drake Doremus' deceptively simple romance, a refreshing take on an age-old dilemma.
  2. Reviewed by: Connie Ogle
    Nov 17, 2011
    If you're making a movie that purports to be about real love, at the very least, you have to make the audience care whether the lovers work out their problems.
  3. Reviewed by: Roger Moore
    Nov 16, 2011
    Yelchin doesn't generate the same warmth or passion that Jones does. That is partly by design, as this whole affair was her idea, after all.