7.3

1. Mar 23, 2012
    Agreed that Anton Yelchin was excellent in Like Crazy but if you want to see a really breakout performance by him you should watch The Beaver in which he plays Mel Gibson's son. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lBGKKhx2Lo
  2. Oct 31, 2011
    Many of us dream of that one true love. That perfect match out there in the world. The love that will engulf our soul from the moment we find it and never let go.

In 'Like Crazy,' we experience that love in the relationship shared by the handsome Jacob (Anton Yelchin) and bright eyed Anna (Felicity Jones). A love that develops in such an intoxicating fashion that the viewer feels as if
    they were falling head over heels in love themself.

The young couple meets as college classmates in Los Angeles, living the best years of their lives in the bright California sun. The beautiful couple's journey begins through one of the most romantic forms of courtship, a poem from Anna left on Jacob's windshield, and spins into a whirlwind of unadulterated love. A whirlwind of love that fails to cease until the UK born Anna overstays her student visa, creating an immigration hurdle that becomes difficult to overcome.

From this moment on, 'Like Crazy' separates itself from the relationship dramas of recent years. This separation comes from director and writer Drake Doremus' choice to draw from personal experiences with love, instead of creating the predictable and expected "fairy tale" love story.

In the real world, love experiences many hardships like the distance between the couple, the maturity of the couple, and every person's need for affection. Doremus hits on each of these hardships and more, creating a sense of realism unmatched by any relationship drama today. This sense of realism helps create an engrossing attachment to the couple, their story, and the ability for the viewer to relate to the couple's plight.

A largely ad-libbed script aides that realism. The improvisation allows the couple's dialogue and physical interactions, as well as those with their other lovers while away from each other, to appear as authentic as possible. Through these authentic interactions, Jones and Yelchin develop undeniable chemistry that just further establishes the genuineness of the relationship.

Through impeccable acting, brilliant directing and an unequaled authenticity, 'Like Crazy' becomes a love story that will live on for generations to come.

Alex White
  3. Nov 25, 2011
    Early word from Sundance last January pegged Like Crazy as this years Blue Valentine largely due to its non-conventional and realistic approach at depicting on screen romance. While it's become refreshing to see film work against convention, Like Crazy struggles to maintain a convincing narrative which makes it hard to empathize with these characters. The film isn't without its charm. Felicity Jones shines throughout and is strong enough to recommend on that basis alone. I can't help but feel if the film was at the helm of a different director that it would of translated better on screen and created a stronger emotional impact by its "open-ending" conclusion. Expand
  4. Dec 11, 2011
    I'm getting to the gist of it. It was a horrible movie that just wouldn't end and when it did it was like a big giant middle finger. The first 30 minutes was beautiful and then it became a repetitive cycle of awkward, stupid, and mind numbing. This movie was anything but awe-inspiring. If you decide to watch it despite warnings at least buy a big bucket of popcorn... you'll need it.
  5. Nov 2, 2011
    The film does a really good job of illustrating the pain and raw nerves that can be exposed with young love - especially when complicated by distance. My primary problem with the film is Jacob (Anton Yelchin) - he looks like he's loaded for about 80% of the film, and it's difficult for me to believe Anna (Felicity Jones), who seems to have her stuff together, would go for him in the first place. But again, they're young, and we don't always get to pick that person. I really like how the writer/director artfully skip huge chunks of cliche'd story that other movies have dealt with ad nauseum. The type of ending employed seems to be in fashion these days. I don't have an issue with it, but I'm sure many probably do. It seems Felicity Jones will be in the biz for the long haul - recently caught her in Chalet girl. Seems like a good choice for future films of this ilk. Expand
  6. Jul 20, 2012
    I was really surprised by how great this movie was. Anton Yelchin and Felicity Jones both give terrific performances. They had chemistry from the first minute they were together. And their dialogue is some of the most organic dialogue I've ever heard, which makes sense since most of it was improvised between the two of them. This made their relationship seem more real, it gave it a feel of authenticity. Great direction and story. Jennifer Lawrence was also really great. The only problem was the movie didn't really have any sense of time. I didn't know if 2 months or 1 year had passed, which made it a little hard to follow at what point in their relationship I was watching. But I think that might have been a deliberate choice by the director, I thought that he was trying to show that no matter how much time passes they will always be in love. But apart from that this was a beautiful movie of young romance. 9.8/10 Expand
  7. Oct 29, 2011
    I thought this was a little gem of a movie. Well acted and realistic; Felicity Jones is especially good. My 16-year relationship had immigration problems within the first two years and this movie gets to the heart of that pain. Worth seeing, if you don't mind your love stories with a dose of melancholy.
  8. Mar 10, 2012
    A brilliant depiction of the emotional rollercoaster of falling in love and dealing with the exogenous factors that try to kill it. The actors although they keep their clothes on, bare it all and leave us all warmed up inside. Highly recommended.
  9. Nov 24, 2011
    Anton Yelchin plays an American college student who falls for British Felicity Jones. When she violates here visa, they're forced into a strained long-distance relationship. Most of the time is spent with the duo and they do manage to create a compelling couple. The movie is not particularly original and the dialogue, which is mostly adlibbed, feels talky and unfocused. If you're looking for a sweet and sour love story, you might enjoy this quickly-forgettable film. Expand
  10. Apr 18, 2012
    I do not know, but I love stories like this, where love is on a tube and back out the window, very good script, I liked the music, and especially the natural actions of all! Praise of Felicity Jones and Jennifer Lawrence.
  11. Jul 3, 2012
    A breath of fresh air that strays away from the cliche romance film we are so used to. Post college love is tested to the brink as the intensity and passion expands. The on screen chemistry between Yelchin and Jones is superb. The realistic scenes and emotions are felt from start to finish. The climatic ending only adds to the awe of this inspiring movie
  12. Feb 23, 2012
    They have the same phone. And that's what my unconscious mind was thinking whilst my conscious mind was being bored to death. She's hot thouugh so that's what the one point is for.
  13. Dec 10, 2011
    As a fan of indie-films I tried liking Like Crazy, I even thought the last 30 minutes of it was okay. However, the entire two-thirds of this movie just wasn't doing it for me. The story itself just wasn't that spectacular, and the director didn't do much to make the movie itself spectacular. It showcased some free-flowing editing that added a stylistic touch, but ultimately it did the characters little justice as we weren't given the time to empathize with them. The film was basically a slideshow, that hinted at events, but never fully realizes it. Despite the film being emotionally void, I did appreciate the performances which were naturalistic and true, but wasn't enough to save this movie from mediocrity. Expand
  14. Dec 3, 2011
    That's not a dumb love comedy movie. If you are expecting this kind of joy, you should get something else to watch.

Good romance, hope you lovers to enjoy it.
  15. Oct 30, 2011
    Emotional, sweet and well-acted, Like Crazy was unexpectedly good. Anton yelchin is one to watch, he played his role perfectly and honest in every scene.
  16. Nov 25, 2011
    This experience isn't enough to make a movie about. I know people who've had experiences something like that -- some years of love, difficulty, breaking up, getting back together. It happens, but it's not enough. also, there was too much of beautiful faces, drinking, laughing people. Didn't anything ever happen to these people, when they didn't have a glass in their hands?
  17. Mar 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Never felt any passion, I didn't root for them and what's up with the ending? They both realized they lost what they had? they will live in misery for the rest of their lives? Any remorse for screwing up others, more than once? If it smoldered, if I cried with them, if I felt anything, I would forgive them. But alas....just a mostly arid, depiction of love built, love tested, love teetering, love lost.
    Some nice editing, a flash here and there,not quite poor, but close (C-).
  18. Dec 14, 2011
    I expected more. The movie is slow and acting is not too good. Despite these issues, Like Crazy is worth seeing. I'd recommend for anyone who can relate to the idea of life getting in the way of love.
  19. Dec 22, 2011
    This film made me feel as if I was falling in love, and then getting to experience the ups and downs of a relationship with the characters. I've read reviews saying how people didn't like the montage feel of the film, but I felt like it helped it. Who wants to sit and watch all the little boring moments when you can just highlight the moments that impact the couple the most. I felt it was very realistic, the acting was wonderful, and I left the theater undecided if I felt heartache or hope for the couple. I would definitely recommend this film. Expand
  20. Mar 28, 2012
    OMG! I love this pretty movie is really emotive, have interesting things. The trama can be a cliche, and we can think: other terrible romantic movie But oh sorprise Like Crazy is really pretty. The story is really amazing, my boyfriend hate all this type of movies, but when we watch Like Crazy, he think that the movie is a epic movie of the romantic films. Is incredible watching that some romantic films do a great job, because this genre be same, since Twilight saga started, but Like Crazy is fresh, and amazing. The cast, is wow, awesome, Anton Yelchin, Jennifer Lawrence, and this other girl that I don't remember her name, the performances are incredible. The screenplay is interesting, have much intelligent situation and do an interesting job. Like Crazy is interesting, emotive and pretty I love this movie. Expand
  21. Mar 26, 2012
    Are the characters underdeveloped? Yes.

Is the plot a bit diffracted? Definitely. Does it really matter? No. This film is not meant to be an experienced drama with strong leads and a concrete story line. It's a modern take of an issue which reveals uncertain emotions and the ambiguity which follows the decisions based on those emotions. It's not a film meant to be cathartic. It's a film
    that is, at its core, realistic and, therefore, a bit drab and dreary. The ending is worth a mention as it compresses the whole film into one expression. Expand
  22. Dec 13, 2012
    The performances by its two leads are wonderful, Felicity Jones is absolutely luminous. A love story with a dose of melancholy that is uniquely and beautifully shot. I adored every aspect of this film.
  23. Jan 23, 2014
    Felicity Jones is the bright star of the film, she manages to enlighten what would otherwise be a pretty dull film. I understand the cinematic references here and there, and the realistic dialogue, and the attempt at a realistic love story (which is not so much after thirty minutes of it) and the whole feeling of authenticity to it.
    Still, it feels like it could have been made better by
    adding more spark and vitality, especially to the Jacob character, who basically does nothing.

I didn't like the fast forwards and the general idea of skipping entire months like it's nobody's business. I liked the open ending (even if a bit trite as a storytelling device at this point) and I liked Felicity Jones. Oh, yes, her acting too.
  24. Dec 7, 2013
    It is a cute movie. Felicity Jones and Anton Yelchin create an interesting couple in a lovely movie that starts to get slow and predictable some times, but the complementation with Jennifer Lawrence as Samantha reborn the film to a more accurate and neat one.

1. Reviewed by: Liz Beardsworth
    Jan 30, 2012
    Felicity Jones shines in Drake Doremus' deceptively simple romance, a refreshing take on an age-old dilemma.
  2. Reviewed by: Connie Ogle
    Nov 17, 2011
    If you're making a movie that purports to be about real love, at the very least, you have to make the audience care whether the lovers work out their problems.
  3. Reviewed by: Roger Moore
    Nov 16, 2011
    Yelchin doesn't generate the same warmth or passion that Jones does. That is partly by design, as this whole affair was her idea, after all.