7.3

1. Mar 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's somewhat entertaining, but feels a little too sterile for lack of a better word. I definitely chuckled throughout. When Cooper "realizes" he can fight in the subway, however, it feels like a bad parody of "Chuck". And the end? Pretty weak. No larger lesson for anyone, and it's going for a "Player" ending, but with no savvy or grace. DeNiro is wasted in this as well. Abbie Cornish is solid, and Anna Friel is pretty courageous in a minor part. Expand
  2. Jul 23, 2011
    Great. What do you get out of watching this movie ? Loser guy swallows a drug and gets super-smart. The perpetual monologues are highly annoying. In addition, the movie starts with the guy telling us that he didn't succeed. All expectation is killed right at the start. I cannot believe a studio actually greenlights this crap.
  3. Dec 25, 2011
    Don't get me wrong I was entertained by this movie but there are just too many loopholes in the story and too many convenient things happen to keep the movie going. I wouldn't watch it again.
  4. Mar 5, 2013
    Limitless is about Eddie Morra (Bradley Cooper) a designer drug addict who goes from being a poor writer to becoming a stock-broker, top-criminal, CEO, drug-producer to presidential candidate and everything in between because of the drug he takes. (And television shows he watched as a teenager) Oh, he also gets the girl of his life. A girl that didn't want him when he was poor and stupid.Limitless is about Eddie Morra (Bradley Cooper) a designer drug addict who goes from being a poor writer to becoming a stock-broker, top-criminal, CEO, drug-producer to presidential candidate and everything in between because of the drug he takes. (And television shows he watched as a teenager) Oh, he also gets the girl of his life. A girl that didn't want him when he was poor and stupid. True love. Actually, he's still stupid at the end of the movie but just stupid with a whole lot of psuedo-smart tagged on. Kind of like how you'd describe this movie. The director, who is obviously not a very intelligent person, tried to best depict how us intelligent people function and what we would do. When you're trying to convince the viewer that he's watching someone with a "4-digit-IQ" you better have some darn good writing ready to suspend some serious disbelief. Limitless doesn't have that writing. In fact, they could have left the drugs out and it'd be an interesting story about a gangster with political aspirations rather than a science-fiction story about a lying, thieving, adulterating nobody who seems to come out on top no matter what happens. Did I call it science-fiction? I meant to write just fiction. There's not much science to any of it and even the fiction is barely holding together with plotholes so large you could fit a methadone clinic through. Eddie's superpowers were so ridiculously mundane at times and completely impossible at others that it made me wonder if anyone with an IQ of above 100 ever proof-read the script. Perhaps everyone thinks that's what it likes to be intelligent? It's not. Like someone on IMDB wrote "If you have 20% stupid and turn that into a 100%, you still have only stupid". This movie will insult your intelligence. Expand
  5. Dec 27, 2013
    Limitless may not be the worst film of all-time, but it certainly tries to be. All with the air of seriousness, this movie has one of the stupidest plots I have ever seen, absolutely terrible acting, annoying narration that only makes me hate the protagonist, and a theme that seems to encourage being a terrible human being. This was not a movie to give a happy ending to. This was a movieLimitless may not be the worst film of all-time, but it certainly tries to be. All with the air of seriousness, this movie has one of the stupidest plots I have ever seen, absolutely terrible acting, annoying narration that only makes me hate the protagonist, and a theme that seems to encourage being a terrible human being. This was not a movie to give a happy ending to. This was a movie that should have ended before it put a stain on the careers of everyone involved. Expand
  6. Aug 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How could a movie so well acted with such a great concept that has plenty of nifty tricks up its sleeve go so wrong? Plot holes bigger than the hole in Bin Laden's head.
    Let's not even discuss how his loser brother-in-law would have gotten his hands on the drug to begin with. We'll start with what I believe to be the most obvious and by far the most annoying prolem in the film. If you rub a lamp and a genie pops out, the first thing you are going to ask for is more wishes. If you found a pill that gave you a "4 digit IQ", you would immediately secure an unlimited supply of said pill. Only in this movie, multiple people have taken the pill, and despite being super geniouses, none of them had thought of this. Our main character didn't even think of until last 15 minutes of the flick. And, why would he need to go to a chemist to have the pill made. Surely he is smarter than the chemist. And, I would think the fewer people that know about a pill like this the better.
    Why the hell does he have to borrow money from a Russian Mobster? He wrote what is sure to be the greatest piece of literature of modern times in less than a week. I am sure the publishing company would have been happy to advance him a $100,000 for the rights to his next work. Our super genious also forgets to go pay the mobster back despite having over $2,000,000 in the bank and a perfect memory. This is a slap in the face to audiences' intelligence.
    The holes don't stop there. They just keep a'comin'. Multiple people have taken this drug. All of whom were transformed into geniouses in the process. Yet, he was the only one that realized if you eat and don't drink alcohol there are zero side effects. What? Seriously? You have to be @&!> kidding me. It's that simple? That's it? And he is the only one that figured it out.
    What was really great were the fight scenes where he was able to take on 10 guys at once. All he had to do was channel Bruce Lee via some memory he had of watching the Chinese Connection and Enter the Dragon. Just amazing! Amazing how this apperantly only applied to him. The pill popping genious Russian didn't even notice he had grabbed and was holding a weapon behind his back. Though we don't know how it all went down with the lawyer, I doubt he put up much of a fight either. Sadly, it gets worse. So, he kills the Russian and he is laying there with no more pills when it hits him. He needs to drink the blood of the Russian to get the drug into his system. Even if this were possible, and I highly doubt it is, he would have to drink just about every ounce of blood in the guys body. But our hero just takes two spoonfull size gulps off the tiled floor. And bam! He is back in the action in less than 30 seconds. Just incredible.
    Plenty more ludicrous stuff follows until we finally come to the end, and what is clearly the second most ridiculous event of the movie. De Niro's character comes to meet Cooper's character to let him know that he now controls the supply of the drug. And if he doesn't do what they tell him to do, he will be cut off. Improbably, our super genious hadn't been able to figure out what company made the drug. Even more unlikely than that is the chance of such a meeting ever even occuring. You are telling me that a power hungry, ego maniac has the opportunity to control someone who is taking the drug or just take the drug themself and he chooses the former? Doubt it. De Niro's character would have been popping more pills than Anna Nicole Smith.
    If you want some real entertainment from this movie, buy the dvd and throw it into your fire as you roast marshmellows. That's about as good as it's going to get.
  7. Jul 31, 2011
    one of the most disappointing movies i've ever seen. great, original concept, but it was just executed poorly. for a 94-minute movie, i pushed the info button on my remote an extraordinary number of times, just to see when it would end.
  8. Mar 29, 2011
    I mean, I suppose if you're a child or have an IQ below 100, the plot holes and otherwise sketchy moments that appear, in all seriousness, every 15-20 minutes. A friend, who also thought Battle LA was phenomenal and thinks Transformers 2 is the best movie to date, said "it's a movie" not able to understand that even fictional movies aren't meant to have a flawed storyline, let alone everyI mean, I suppose if you're a child or have an IQ below 100, the plot holes and otherwise sketchy moments that appear, in all seriousness, every 15-20 minutes. A friend, who also thought Battle LA was phenomenal and thinks Transformers 2 is the best movie to date, said "it's a movie" not able to understand that even fictional movies aren't meant to have a flawed storyline, let alone every other scene being questionable. All logic aside, I found it a very boring movie, the whole premise was a lot like Phenomenon but at least Travolta didn't develop his powers through pharmaceuticals and there was a hint of Wall Street to it. It wasn't original, the plot was just silly, and there wasn't nearly enough mindless action to make it fun. All in all, I've seen far worse, but there is no reason to go out of your way and see this. It was a waste of time. Expand
  9. Apr 5, 2011
    Dumbed down version of Click (2006), except without the moral lessons, and popping pills instead of using a remote control. My how the times have changed. Lots of cliches: struggling writer, russian thug antagonists, mayor / wallstreet bigshot as generic optimal of success.
  10. Mar 19, 2011
    Feeling totally "duped" by this movie. I was expecting Leslie Nielson or Steve Martin to appear! Great premise but the movie falls apart and becomes a farce. Save your money!
  11. Mar 27, 2011
    Not happy with this one. Players fine; effx refreshing and startling at first, then boring; plot flags and eventually peters out. And then it went on. And on. Too long, with nothing new or exciting to say.
  12. May 1, 2011
    I can't believe that someone would like this. So pretentious, full of crap, drug addict obsolete. I mean fear and loath was great movie that promote using drug. This, well, this is bull shi*. I gave it zero, i couldn't give it more, i just can't. I 'm happy that i didn't go to see in cinema i would be frustrated and betrayed. After 15 minutes watching at home i couldn't standed so muchI can't believe that someone would like this. So pretentious, full of crap, drug addict obsolete. I mean fear and loath was great movie that promote using drug. This, well, this is bull shi*. I gave it zero, i couldn't give it more, i just can't. I 'm happy that i didn't go to see in cinema i would be frustrated and betrayed. After 15 minutes watching at home i couldn't standed so much stupidity and i quit it. Just stopped and deleted, forever. Expand
  13. Aug 16, 2011
    The film lacks any sort of direction, pacing or credibility. While I appreciate the fact that Bradley cooper doesn't want to play the stereotypical a**hole in films for the rest of his life, this movie really won't do him any good. Watching the film I didn't feel any sort of sympathy for the character. To me, he's just a looser stealing drugs off a dead guy and cheating on his girlfriend.The film lacks any sort of direction, pacing or credibility. While I appreciate the fact that Bradley cooper doesn't want to play the stereotypical a**hole in films for the rest of his life, this movie really won't do him any good. Watching the film I didn't feel any sort of sympathy for the character. To me, he's just a looser stealing drugs off a dead guy and cheating on his girlfriend.
    De Niro does his best to salvage the movie, but it's simply not possible.
    Also, the premise is very unbelievable. How would a former drug dealer gain access to a highly sophisticated drug, let alone walk around with a stash on him? To sum up, I didn't care very much for the movie. P.S. relying on voice overs for insight is very very cheap.

1. Reviewed by: Michael O'Sullivan
    Mar 24, 2011
    A heck of a ride. On the way to its unpredictable (if less than wholly satisfying) conclusion, it is entertaining, a little silly and visually dazzling.
  2. Reviewed by: David Hughes
    Mar 21, 2011
    A loopy joy from start to finish, Bradley Cooper proves that he's the real deal.
  3. Reviewed by: Rick Groen
    Mar 19, 2011
    Add it all up, including the nifty twist at the end, and what we have here is a fun Hollywood flick with a good head on its shoulders.