7.5

1. Feb 6, 2014
    Steven Spielberg loves to tell a story and that is what makes his movies so engrossing even when the subject matter appears a bit daunting, however Lincoln's pacing is an issue that only the die hard fans could possibly ignore. In terms of entertainment one must have a love of history, a love acting and love of politics if you do not have these then this film will score low on yourSteven Spielberg loves to tell a story and that is what makes his movies so engrossing even when the subject matter appears a bit daunting, however Lincoln's pacing is an issue that only the die hard fans could possibly ignore. In terms of entertainment one must have a love of history, a love acting and love of politics if you do not have these then this film will score low on your entertainment measure. From a cinematic stand point it is something one could study and learn a lot from.
    Entertainment value a crushing 6.5
    On the Poe Scale an impressive 8.5

Acting: 1.5/2
    Cinematography: 1.5/2
    Editing: 2/2
    Effects and Design 2/2
    Writing: 1.5/2
  2. Jan 10, 2013
    Very, very well made, and great acting. Great movie. At some times, can seem melodramatic, but all in all, it's a great film. Daniel Day Lewis delivers Lincoln expertly.
  3. Jan 20, 2013
    Lincoln is unquestionably one of Hollywood's top three films of 2013; Spielberg's direction and Day-Lewis' performance are more than just noteworthy. This is an effective and fairly displayed period piece that can only be criticized for it accurate display of a slower time and its artistry prevents any other negative honesty.
  4. Jun 20, 2013
    With excellent acting by the entire cast, deep characters, and great dialogue, Spielberg and Kushner create a beautiful film that immerses the audience into the time period and reanimate these historical characters. Through my personal passion for history and politics, I was able to recognize and appreciate the amount of detail they put into their work. Daniel Day-Lewis once againWith excellent acting by the entire cast, deep characters, and great dialogue, Spielberg and Kushner create a beautiful film that immerses the audience into the time period and reanimate these historical characters. Through my personal passion for history and politics, I was able to recognize and appreciate the amount of detail they put into their work. Daniel Day-Lewis once again immerses himself into a role and the result is breathtaking. My favorite film of 2012, this movie is destined to be a classic. Expand
  5. Feb 16, 2013
    If there was ever a movie that WASN'T what it said on the tin, this is it. It kicks off with yer man from My Left Foot, here with a funny hat and beard for whatever reason, sitting about drinking tea and telling stories. This goes on for quite a bit. Dunno what he was saying. I don't think the other characters were even listening. Half an hour in and still no sign of the vampires, so IIf there was ever a movie that WASN'T what it said on the tin, this is it. It kicks off with yer man from My Left Foot, here with a funny hat and beard for whatever reason, sitting about drinking tea and telling stories. This goes on for quite a bit. Dunno what he was saying. I don't think the other characters were even listening. Half an hour in and still no sign of the vampires, so I fast forwarded a bit (don't ask me how I did this in the cinema). Watched another scene. Tommy Lee Jones out of off of US Marshals pops up with a silly wig. Still no action. Fast forwarded again and the end credits were rolling. Maybe I skipped past the vampire scenes. And this is supposed to win Oscars? Pfft... Expand
  6. Apr 18, 2013
    Lincoln is a grenade filled with emotions. But, hopelessly, its not a Speilberg movie, I'd rather call it a Daniel-day Lewis' movie. To Speilberg, sir, it seems like the perfect time to let go this war-mania of you.
    Humbly yours, Saving Private Ryan lover.
  7. Jan 25, 2014
    This movie truly amazed me. I had mixed feelings about how it was going to be. However, after watching it, I felt it was a true masterpiece. Daniel Day-Lewis once again exceeds my expectations of acting. Stephen Spielberg did an outstanding job making this film. It is such an important part of our history, and shows the struggle that Lincoln would have went through trying to free theThis movie truly amazed me. I had mixed feelings about how it was going to be. However, after watching it, I felt it was a true masterpiece. Daniel Day-Lewis once again exceeds my expectations of acting. Stephen Spielberg did an outstanding job making this film. It is such an important part of our history, and shows the struggle that Lincoln would have went through trying to free the slaves. History buffs will love this movie as I did. Very highly recommended. Expand
  8. Dec 29, 2012
    A joyous bundle of history and excellence. The movie plays out in a slow and slightly reserved fashion, rewarding those who pay close attention to the details of the well-versed dialogue. The acting on all fronts in spectacular, and it not only paints a detailed and acute description of one of the most important pieces of American history, but does well in honoring the great United StatesA joyous bundle of history and excellence. The movie plays out in a slow and slightly reserved fashion, rewarding those who pay close attention to the details of the well-versed dialogue. The acting on all fronts in spectacular, and it not only paints a detailed and acute description of one of the most important pieces of American history, but does well in honoring the great United States President and showing you a great depiction of his life and those around him. By the end, you'll feel your own sense of emotional accomplishment and maybe even feel smarter. Overall, a glorious film, and my personal movie of the year. Expand
  9. Nov 26, 2012
    It was an enjoyable historic drama. I think the movie should have been called the "13th Amendment" considering that is really the only aspect of this movie.
  10. Apr 17, 2013
    Being a US History major, I loved Lincoln. Anytime I get to see a movie about US History, I get really excited. And Lincoln did not let me down. While some (or many) would call this movie slow and boring, it was quite the opposite. I was thoroughly entertained by Daniel Day-Lewis (as always) and Spielberg delivered once again. The scenes in Congress were great because it seemed to mockBeing a US History major, I loved Lincoln. Anytime I get to see a movie about US History, I get really excited. And Lincoln did not let me down. While some (or many) would call this movie slow and boring, it was quite the opposite. I was thoroughly entertained by Daniel Day-Lewis (as always) and Spielberg delivered once again. The scenes in Congress were great because it seemed to mock today's government/congress and made political parties look absolutely ridiculous. Go watch this film if you have the time and want to watch a great acting performance by Day-Lewis. Expand
  11. Dec 3, 2012
    Spielberg & Tony Kushner managed to to transfer us into the mind of Lincoln giving us a historical thriller that will soon become a "Classic".The film has the two "battlefields" of war and politics that keep us on the edge of our seats.As it goes for Daniel Day-Lewis(Lincoln) I have only one word: "Breathtaking".
  12. Dec 27, 2012
    Day-Lewis is masterfully sublime as the humble, eminent Abraham Lincoln. However, Spielberg's direction is imperfectly showcased as a hokey, lackluster drama that is mind-fumbling and tedious but never an insipid moment with the two Oscar-caliber performances of Day-Lewis and Field.
  13. Jan 27, 2013
    In my opinion, the script during the first half of this film reads like an entry in Wikipedia. And the second half lacks soul. In part, because the -much acclaimed- acting of Daniel Day-Lewis seems to me lacking in spirit; it seemed to me that he has half asleep and bored. I think that many of the glowing opinions may have more to do with the theme, than with the film.
  14. Nov 9, 2012
    Who is this R. Kurt Osenlund of Slant Magazine that writes, "Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN film may further the heroism so associated with its subject, and favor a liberal viewpoint that leers down at the Confederates, but it's no bleeding-heart glamorization." ? Who says conservatives were in favor of the Confederates? Lincoln was a conservative Republican, and most of the Confederates wereWho is this R. Kurt Osenlund of Slant Magazine that writes, "Steven Spielberg's LINCOLN film may further the heroism so associated with its subject, and favor a liberal viewpoint that leers down at the Confederates, but it's no bleeding-heart glamorization." ? Who says conservatives were in favor of the Confederates? Lincoln was a conservative Republican, and most of the Confederates were Southern Democrats. People don't seem to realize that it's Republicans who were and still are the true "liberals": those in favor of liberty, freedom, and self-determinism (the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness) for all people. The movie is good, though. Just ignore Slant Magazine. Expand
  15. Jan 10, 2013
    I can understand why on the surface alot of people may have found this movie to be boring. But when you give it a chance and look and enjoy the performances of all the leads , I found it anything but boring. Daniel Day Lewis is incredible and James Spader was surprisingly good too. I think it was a great choice not to include any real action sequences in the movie , as I feel they wouldI can understand why on the surface alot of people may have found this movie to be boring. But when you give it a chance and look and enjoy the performances of all the leads , I found it anything but boring. Daniel Day Lewis is incredible and James Spader was surprisingly good too. I think it was a great choice not to include any real action sequences in the movie , as I feel they would have felt completely out of place and fo4ced in a movie like this. Overall I was glued from start to finish. Wonderful stuff. Expand
  16. Dec 25, 2012
    If you are a southern apologist who lives in the delusion they were fighting for anything other than slavery, you will hate this film. It puts the historical cards on the table and shows the south's refusal to give up on a war that was already lost because they would not agree to end slavery. Plain and simple, they were fighting for that reason and no other. If you prefer anachronisticIf you are a southern apologist who lives in the delusion they were fighting for anything other than slavery, you will hate this film. It puts the historical cards on the table and shows the south's refusal to give up on a war that was already lost because they would not agree to end slavery. Plain and simple, they were fighting for that reason and no other. If you prefer anachronistic dialogue, with persons from history sounding like NYC cab drivers, you will hate this film. Kushner's script follows the best recollections of those who were present. With the forgivable exception of allowing the change of "Now he belongs to the angels." to become the far better "Now he belongs to the ages." If you want to see CGI recreations of Gettysburg and Antietam, you're in the wrong theater. This film is about Lincoln and his growing conviction that the war was never just about preserving the union. That his fate was to be the man who led this country to the end of slavery. Seen for what it is, that often the hand of God moves history with the least likely vessels, a prophet with a speech impediment, a carpenter's son born in poverty or that a man who had failed at nearly everything, whose family life was coming unhinged, should lead a reluctant, spiteful nation to end the babrbarism of slavery, this film is a triumph. Expand
  17. Apr 21, 2013
    Lincoln was one of those movies that is very well done, it appears to capture the period with historical accuracy, the acting is very good, the story historically and socially significant. But it was rather slow moving and not particularly compelling given the compelling subject matter, and I like both politics and history.

I watched it, I can't say it wasn't a good movie, but there is

I watched it, I can't say it wasn't a good movie, but there is really nothing about it that would make me want to sit through it again.
  18. Jan 29, 2014
    Great performances, especially Daniel Day Lewis and Tommy Lee Jones, and fascinating subject matter. Unfortunately, at two and a half hours, the film is simply hard to get through.
  19. Nov 26, 2012
    A fantastic movie. I cannot say enough good things. The acting was amazing, especially Daniel Day Lewis and Tommy Lee Jones. However, the entire cast is great. The soundtrack is fantastic and the cinematography is great too. This is one of the few movies I have seen that left me in tears. If you dont see this movie, you should never watch another movie again.
  20. Mar 30, 2013
    The best historical movie I've ever seen. It makes you care about our most important president in ways you would never think you would. It's funny, it's interesting, and of course, Daniel-Day Lewis is perfect as Abraham Lincoln.
  21. Nov 27, 2012
    If you look at many of the good reviews, you will see the problem, in my mind, with this movie. It is a bit too slow, too monotone, and simply too stuffy. There could have been so much more color and life. I think we should have seen different perspectives, such as from the angle of a simple working person and from the angle of the south. The movie leaves out Lincoln's great speeches,If you look at many of the good reviews, you will see the problem, in my mind, with this movie. It is a bit too slow, too monotone, and simply too stuffy. There could have been so much more color and life. I think we should have seen different perspectives, such as from the angle of a simple working person and from the angle of the south. The movie leaves out Lincoln's great speeches, making only brief references. The movie leaves out the assassination, and what we know about who did it and why. The real death blow to the movie, for me, was the lack of vigor in why and what they were fighting for. After all, huge numbers of americans died. So, for me the movie was a dud. I think a lot of people are caught up in the moment. By the way, the supporting acting was GREAT, and I would give an award to Sally Fields. Expand
  22. KJJ
    Nov 10, 2012
    First rate look at the personal side of real people written about so much as "legend" that you forget. Is Rex Reed serious about this being a "bore"? When is he going to retire and stop boring us?
  23. Mar 1, 2013
    The real-life characters from the time then are brought back to life, and it feels like you are in the 19th century. However, a lot of the scenes dragged out too long and I found myself drifting away at the theater because I was so bored.
  24. Nov 23, 2012
    Looking at Spielberg's history in cinema, it is relevant that making classics is simply in his blood. Whether his movies were about raw tension, the pureness of the heart or about the examination of the human spirit, none of them blend so perfectly together as Lincoln does. Not only does Lincoln inform the audience about what an immense challenge it was for the 16th president to abolishLooking at Spielberg's history in cinema, it is relevant that making classics is simply in his blood. Whether his movies were about raw tension, the pureness of the heart or about the examination of the human spirit, none of them blend so perfectly together as Lincoln does. Not only does Lincoln inform the audience about what an immense challenge it was for the 16th president to abolish slavery, (which could easily be unappreciated just by reading it in a textbook), but it makes you feel as if you were one of the many Americans who idolized him during the 19th century. What Spielberg, Kushner and Day-Lewis do to make Abraham appear as a real inspirational figure is not by simply filming the events that gained him his historical recognition, but by letting the audience adore his charming personality first. The scenes where the Republicans and Democrats bicker over the future of the entire African-American population of the time are so intriguing that I felt relieved when arguments were won and angry when injustice was performed. We have Spielberg and Kushner to really thank for allowing us to become so emotionally involved. I would also like to congratulate Daniel Day-Lewis on winning his third Oscar. Lets face it, he was extraordinary and held the whole film together. It was so exciting just to watch everything he did on screen that he was the main reason I didn't want the movie to end. Credits to Field, Jones and Gordon-Levitt for making the experience all the more captivating. This is perhaps the most inspirational movie of the year which adds to Spielberg's list of never-ending triumphs as well as celebrating one of the most notable historical figures in American history. Expand
  25. Sep 7, 2013
    Lets get this Bill passed.. find someone to help pass this bill... hey bill will you help me pass this Bill.. wow what a waste of talent. actors were superb sets and direction was excellent. but give me a break the story should have focused much more on personal relationships and how without that bill there lives being affected by it. that would have made a more powerful movie...
  26. Feb 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Lincoln

Una película difícil de ver y de digerir, Lincoln trata temas sumamente interesantes y bien manejados pero con unos diálogos pesados y complicados para el público en general, la narrativa es difícil de seguir y no engancha fácilmente, por los menos la primera media hora causa el sentimiento interno de ignorancia y provoca varios bostezos, pero después de un rato y prestando mucha atención la idea empieza a tomar forma y junto con sus pocas chispas de humor envuelven al espectador hasta su desenlace.

La película narra el último año del expresidente Abraham Lincoln y su lucha por acabar con la guerra civil junto con la aprobación de la decimotercera enmienda en la cámara de representantes en la que se abolió la esclavitud. Daniel Day-Lewis hace el papel a la perfección, el papel de una Lincoln idealizado por Steven Spielberg, de un héroe de la patria, el papel de un hombre recto que decide que el fin justifica los medios. Lewis el hombre del momento hace gala de todo su garbo actoral convenciéndonos con sus gestos, con su voz, con sus movimientos, encarna totalmente el personaje de una forma impresionante llevándonos a la época y sintiéndonos acongojados por su triste final.

La dirección de arte, el vestuario, la iluminación, la ambientación y la fotografía fueron magistrales, realmente nos introducen en la historia con detalles que las llevan a la perfección. Cada mapa, cada candelabro, cada pieza perfectamente ubicada, armonizando el entorno y dándole al film la credibilidad que necesitaba.

Con un reparto demasiado grande hace que en varios escenas nos podamos confundir y que muchas de las actuaciones sean totalmente desaprovechadas como es el caso de Jared Harris o Joseph Gordon-Levitt, caso contrario el de Tommy Lee Jones, quien da vida a Thaddeus Stevens líder radical republicano quien nos brinda una de las mejore escenas de la película en la que tiene que callar sus emociones reales para lograr el objetivo común, objetivo por el que él a luchado insistentemente por motivos personales y secretos. Sally Field también se destaca como la Sra. Lincoln una mujer con problemas de depresión que se tambalea entre su vida personal y cuidar las apariencias en su vida social.

Steven Spielberg, genio cinematográfico, Maestro del arte, nos enseña su punto de vista de uno de los hombres más amados de los Estados Unidos dejando en claro que sin importar el proyecto que realice siempre tendrá el apoyo de la crítica y de la academia, lo vemos con sus 12 nominaciones a los premios óscar y con el excelente resultado del producto final, una película para ver inteligentemente con paciencia y mente abierta, sin discriminar el género ni el ámbito político.

Compren el tarro de críspetas grande y tómenlo con calma, no se pueden perder la historia del hombre más digno que cumplió su objetivo de la manera más indigna.
  27. Apr 27, 2013
    This movie was like watching C-SPAN from the 1800's. It is EXTREMELY slow and stuffy. Some of the vocabulary is like listening to Shakespeare, you kind of understand what they are saying but it still would be helpful to have a translator to make sure you know what is going on. Abraham Lincoln and his rambling stories....... I wanted to shoot him myself by the end of the movie. He isThis movie was like watching C-SPAN from the 1800's. It is EXTREMELY slow and stuffy. Some of the vocabulary is like listening to Shakespeare, you kind of understand what they are saying but it still would be helpful to have a translator to make sure you know what is going on. Abraham Lincoln and his rambling stories....... I wanted to shoot him myself by the end of the movie. He is like that uncle that tells you a 15 minute story that has nothing to do with anything. All that being said, there is great acting and I can see where it would be critically acclaimed. If you are looking for a true look at politics in the 19th century, this movie is for you, but if you want action or anything resembling entertainment, pick a different movie. Expand
  28. Nov 24, 2012
    I must be in the minority, but I was very disappointed with "Lincoln". I really enjoy history and biography, had read Goodwin's book and had heard almost unanimous praise for the movie. However, I thought the film was tedious, the script very stilted, and the acting rather mundane. If this had been a movie without the hype, the well known cast and director, and the subject, I am sureI must be in the minority, but I was very disappointed with "Lincoln". I really enjoy history and biography, had read Goodwin's book and had heard almost unanimous praise for the movie. However, I thought the film was tedious, the script very stilted, and the acting rather mundane. If this had been a movie without the hype, the well known cast and director, and the subject, I am sure more of the critics would have panned it. I kept looking at my watch and wondering when it was going to show all the great things that had been written about it. A real disappointment. Expand
  29. CBN
    Nov 21, 2012
    Day-Lewis proves once again he is the best actor of his generation. Spielberg's touch and mastery are all over the film, yet a bit hard to follow at time with the onslaught of new characters and dialogue. Overall, a wonderful movie experience.
  30. Jan 14, 2013
    I am very surprised to see such praise for this film.It is not only too long,but its turgid pace which drags relentlessly make it it appear even longer.Spielberg appears to have thrown away the magic template.
  31. Jan 15, 2013
    I have to say this was an incredibly dull movie. If you're not american, you'll be scratching your head in bafflement about why there was a need to create a whole movie about a bunch of senators trying to wrangle votes for a bill. The sort of stuff you'd avoid on TV nowadays even if you're interested in politics.

From the very first few moments of this banal platitude of a

From the very first few moments of this banal platitude of a snoozefest, Lincoln is portrayed as some sort of angelic benevolent grandfather who can do no wrong. A bunch of soldiers appear at the base of his pedestal where he is bathed in a glorifying halo and recite verbatim a speech that he gave at some pivotal historical moment. The awe and respect from the soldiers is painful, one dimensional and almost insulting.

So the tone is set. Lincoln is a hero from the outset, a glorified angel, a beatific beaming wise one. Where was the man? The depressed, racist, that is the reality of who he was? There's not a glimpse of it here.

Add to that, the non stop speaking. It's incessant dialogue and not very good dialogue at that. Just because someone speaks fast doesn't make it clever or interesting or persuasive. I can't figure out why Day - Lewis would be involved in this turd. Is he desperate for an Oscar? Because everyone in this movie telegraphed from afar 'Watch this, this is my Oscar moment' I nearly gagged at Sally Field's first scene where she emoted sentimentally claiming she understood the significance of a dream claiming it was to do with a senate bill. She nearly wept. I have to say the cinematography wasn't very interesting either and the lighting was poor at some moments especially outdoor scenes where it was especially weak. And the hackneyed battle scene at the start? Forget about it, I wish I could unsee it.

Turgid, Turgid, Turgid, avoid, avoid, avoid!
  32. Feb 13, 2013
    Lincoln simply put is a brilliant film. For a film that is 2 hours and 30 mins of talking and politics it makes a thoroughly engaging and thoroughly interesting story. It is an important story in American history and captures the issue and era magnificently. Daniel Day-Lewis would fully deserve the Oscar for his performance, it was flawless. He is also matched by an equally fantastic cast.Lincoln simply put is a brilliant film. For a film that is 2 hours and 30 mins of talking and politics it makes a thoroughly engaging and thoroughly interesting story. It is an important story in American history and captures the issue and era magnificently. Daniel Day-Lewis would fully deserve the Oscar for his performance, it was flawless. He is also matched by an equally fantastic cast. Highly recommended. Expand
  33. May 13, 2013
    I expected that Lincoln would win the Academy Award for best film because of the excellent actors and talented director but when I saw the film frankly Ansdmt because the film seems to have been addressed to the Americans just where it was supposed to clarify a lot of other things unidentified and unknown to the non-Americans in the film despite the wonderful acting by  Daniel Day-LewisI expected that Lincoln would win the Academy Award for best film because of the excellent actors and talented director but when I saw the film frankly Ansdmt because the film seems to have been addressed to the Americans just where it was supposed to clarify a lot of other things unidentified and unknown to the non-Americans in the film despite the wonderful acting by  Daniel Day-Lewis and enthusiasm to show a big justice Expand
  34. Dec 3, 2012
    I thought the movie was good. the performances were good and the look of the film was spot on. It was a little confusing keeping track of who everyone was. I really liked Lewis as Lincoln. I want to see it again and I think I will get more out of it. overall 9/10.
  35. Jan 2, 2013
    A wonderful movie, it tells the part of the story that wasn't told- the struggles Lincoln had to deal with in his fight versus the Democrats and even within his own party. It's a compelling drama, in the spirit of "The King's Speech" after watching this movie I admired Lincoln, and wished I had been around to hear one of his "stories"
  36. Mar 17, 2013
    This movie is deserved everything not just Best Actor. Spielberg beautifully directs and make deep research about Lincoln. Yeah this is still movie, not documentary, so you'll find some dramatize scenes. But it's okay.
    Compare with the shi*ty Argo, this movie is a masterpiece. I just don't know why Argo can grab Oscar? What's wrong with you American citizens? You don't like and proud with your own president?
  37. Nov 9, 2012
    I was enthralled from the start.

While it isn
  38. Apr 9, 2013
    Lincoln is basically a two and a half hour play and although Daniel Day Lewis was amazing as Lincoln it is difficult to watch at one sitting cause it gets boring. I believe that this is the reason that it wasn't the best picture of 2012. The movie basically about the passing of the 13 amendment.
  39. Nov 9, 2012
    Oh, this is beautiful film-making. Spielberg takes you on a ride inside Lincoln's mind and his intimate conflicts, in such a pretty and touching way...
    DDL is outstanding once again, and this will be seriously a big contender to the award season. I bet .
  40. Nov 28, 2012
    Honestly one of the best movies I have seen in a long time! Spielberg did a wonderful job on this piece. The acting and the costumes to the filming locations were perfect. The chemistry between Daniel Day Lewis and Sally Fields was epic. A must see!!
  41. Jan 3, 2013
    I like the movie. Maybe, because I am too spoiled with action movies, this one seems slow, almost like a reading book. I found the structure to be interesting, - arguments over a passing 13 amendment has almost took entire movie, building the culmination bust in the end. The characters were deep and passionate. Overall good movie.
  42. Jan 14, 2013
    Although the film is a little slow at times, the acting is superb. The beginning scene is one of the best as well as the telegraphers speaking to Lincoln. Anyone who calls this movie or acting mundane, i just don't get it.
  43. Jan 19, 2013
    Spielberg does C-SPAN and, all things being equal, I'll take 3 hours of Brian Lamb over this schmaltzy, simplified hagiography any day. Wonderful performance by DDL, as usual, but the script should have been dispatched in a Ford's theater (where is belongs) with a very short run. What a waste of time, money and talent - sort of like the civil war - with so little to show for it. This movieSpielberg does C-SPAN and, all things being equal, I'll take 3 hours of Brian Lamb over this schmaltzy, simplified hagiography any day. Wonderful performance by DDL, as usual, but the script should have been dispatched in a Ford's theater (where is belongs) with a very short run. What a waste of time, money and talent - sort of like the civil war - with so little to show for it. This movie was obviously created for the "low information voter" but even they deserve a better effort from the biggest director in Hollywood. Very disappointing and discouraging - I CAN NOT BELIEVE how many positive reviews this film has received. Expand
  44. Mar 24, 2013
    I pity those who find this film mundane or tedious because they were some how expecting a Michael Bay action turd. Lincoln is a well written, expertly directed, and supremely acted masterpiece. This film is about the 13th amendment and the politics/ horse trading that was required to enact one of the greatest pieces of legislation in the history of the world. If this dramatic politicalI pity those who find this film mundane or tedious because they were some how expecting a Michael Bay action turd. Lincoln is a well written, expertly directed, and supremely acted masterpiece. This film is about the 13th amendment and the politics/ horse trading that was required to enact one of the greatest pieces of legislation in the history of the world. If this dramatic political drama can not hold ones attention I believe that shows what a sad state our generation is in. This film is a fight for equality, a fight to up hold the fact that indeed "all men are created equal in the eyes of the law". Expand
  45. Sep 24, 2013
    Even though I am more of a Confederate guy... I gotta say that the film Lincoln is a great film with great acting and a great inside look at Lincolns time as president.
  46. Nov 25, 2012
    This is one of Steven Spielberg's best films this year, and in my opinion the best so far this year. The movie does a great job capturing Lincoln's personality during a turbulent time in America's history. Furthermore, the acting by Daniel Day Lewis to Tommy Lee Jones was excellent. Daniel Day Lewis is a great actor, and he deserves another best actor nomination for his performance. IThis is one of Steven Spielberg's best films this year, and in my opinion the best so far this year. The movie does a great job capturing Lincoln's personality during a turbulent time in America's history. Furthermore, the acting by Daniel Day Lewis to Tommy Lee Jones was excellent. Daniel Day Lewis is a great actor, and he deserves another best actor nomination for his performance. I believe Tommy Lee Jones has given one of his best performances in a long time, and I hope he gets nominated for best supporting actor as he gave a great performance to the radical Republican Thaddeus Stevens. Finally the writing is incredible along with some excellent dry humor. I highly recommend everyone check this movie out. Expand
  47. Nov 26, 2012
    This is defiantly an interesting movie. I enjoyed it very much because I am the type of person who can sit there and enjoy learning about something I only knew a little bit about. This is defiantly not the type of movie for people who will want to be at the edge of their seat the whole time. If you enjoy learning about history and see what it was like for these people, this is defiantly aThis is defiantly an interesting movie. I enjoyed it very much because I am the type of person who can sit there and enjoy learning about something I only knew a little bit about. This is defiantly not the type of movie for people who will want to be at the edge of their seat the whole time. If you enjoy learning about history and see what it was like for these people, this is defiantly a great movie to go see, but if you want a movie that has people running around constantly and shooting each other, you will probably want to pass. Expand
  48. Nov 19, 2012
    My girlfriend fell asleep during this movie, but I sure didn't. It is dialogue heavy which I'm sure everybody has heard. The screenplay is excellent though, allowing for moments of subtlety where other movies would be afraid to bore the audience. The acting accompanying the screenplay works perfectly as every character seemed to be cast perfectly to suite their role. Great supporting rolesMy girlfriend fell asleep during this movie, but I sure didn't. It is dialogue heavy which I'm sure everybody has heard. The screenplay is excellent though, allowing for moments of subtlety where other movies would be afraid to bore the audience. The acting accompanying the screenplay works perfectly as every character seemed to be cast perfectly to suite their role. Great supporting roles in this movie go even further than Tommy Lee Jones and Sally Field. James Spader is a surprisingly hilarious addition to the cast and Joseph Gordon-Levitt brought added drama to the film. See it if you are slightly educated in Civil War history, and can enjoy a well-written film. Expand
  49. Jan 24, 2013
    On some level I can relate to comments about the slow pace of the movie, especially in the beginning. I agree that the pace was slower than I expected, but it was not too slow. It was perhaps the appropriate pace to gather in the facets that were needed to relate the urgency and polarization of that time. There are plenty of scenes to make the blood race, not because of battles or otherOn some level I can relate to comments about the slow pace of the movie, especially in the beginning. I agree that the pace was slower than I expected, but it was not too slow. It was perhaps the appropriate pace to gather in the facets that were needed to relate the urgency and polarization of that time. There are plenty of scenes to make the blood race, not because of battles or other action sequences, but because of the opposing views that were being spewed out with such venom. To see a president in the midst of such turmoil, apart from the battlefields of which we have all seen and read plenty of documentaries and dramatizations, was riveting. On this side of the historical time line, we can look back, knowing that the 13th Amendment was passed. Yet this movie was able to take me to a place where I experienced how impossible it seemed then, and to experience the relief, even more than triumph, that the feat was accomplished. The film's deft script and inspired acting showed what a delicate tightrope the President had to walk to make this happen and how very close it came to failing. Then the war would have ended, and the states remain united, but the slavery issue would have remained unresolved.
    That Daniel Day-Lewis took the time needed to wait on the "voice" of Lincoln to grow within him and come forth from him with such an impact of authenticity is one of the things that moved and impressed me the most about LINCOLN. David Strathaim and Sally Field also gave powerful and eloquent performances, as well as several others, but my favorite supporting actor was Tommy Lee Jones. His Thaddeus Stevens lumbered about with a pronounced limp from a childhood bout with polio, providing a much needed counter-point to the congressional members who venomously opposed the passing of the 13th Amendment. Their loud, jeering racial put-downs sound shocking today but are revealed to have been perceived as reasonable and accepted to many in the North at that time. Jones' delivery of Stevens' rejoinders helped to balance out the harshness of the prejudices of that time, giving us some space to laugh with him at their narrow-minded stupidity. At the same time it is sobering to think Stevens" views would have been considered the radical ones to many of that day.
    I highly recommend this film as an opportunity to connect with a moment in history and experience the people and happenings of that time come to life. I have not seen a film that has done this better.
  50. Apr 6, 2013
    Couldn't watch it all it was so dull. Ridiculous facial prosthetics. Watch "Boy with a bike" instead. This is not, as had expected, a biopic, it just focuses on one small piece of legistlation that they're trying to pass. An episode of the West Wing is more entertaining. DDL is good but the rest of the film ducks sonkey sicks.
  51. Nov 27, 2013
    A tedious, stale script and poor rising action makes this movie a slow moving chore to watch. James Spader does a good job fitting his role, but it is not enough to save this sinking ship.
  52. Jul 14, 2013
    I really don't think anyone really needs any kind of lengthy review of this movie at this point. You know what it's about, or at least you should.

Exceptional acting from the entire cast; a very well written script and great directing.
  53. Nov 24, 2012
    Lincoln is one of the greatest biopics of all time.Steven spielberg has done an incredible job.this movie is grand.the cinematography is amazing.All the performances are astonishing.daniel day lewis delivers the performance of a lifetime.
  54. Feb 16, 2013
    Lincoln, from the title you would assume is a film about Lincoln, however you may be disappointed to find that its more to do with the passing of the 13th Amendment. This is a problem purely due to the fact that everyone knows what came to pass in history or even take a guess as to what happened making long scenes of politicians talking about the amendment and discussing racial issues andLincoln, from the title you would assume is a film about Lincoln, however you may be disappointed to find that its more to do with the passing of the 13th Amendment. This is a problem purely due to the fact that everyone knows what came to pass in history or even take a guess as to what happened making long scenes of politicians talking about the amendment and discussing racial issues and war with seemingly no progression all the more tiresome. However there is some saving grace in its monotonous dialogue which is the acting. The actors and actresses really bring out the roles they play most notably Daniel Day-Lewis but also Tommy Lee Jones and Sally Field. Their interactions and dialogue are easily the most interesting part in the story which leads back to Lincoln's main problem. There's a lack of balance between the parts about the 13th amendment and the life of Lincoln and his family which were very dramatic. Its a long film so both parts are attempted in depth making the story convoluted and sometimes difficult to follow. Though at least the visual style and lighting of scenes add at least some flavor to the scenes. It has a very gritty style suiting the era while also seeming fresh.

By the end, and I honestly wouldn't call this a spoiler, when the amendments been passed and Lincoln is dead we really haven't been able to get to know the characters well enough to really care that this great leader has died. Take for instance the classic "Amadeus", in the poster it tells us that he dies but even at the end in knowing this its sad to see him die because we got to know him and got to connect with his character. Lincoln however fails to be "about" Lincoln.
  55. Mar 16, 2013
    I mostly enjoyed this movie, however I did find some things which I disliked. For the first hour or something, you get a monotonous story, and a bit slow in pace. You get bombarded with tons of names of different people throughout history that is impossible to remember after some time, and I will admit I did feel bored multiple times through the first 1 and a half hours.
    In the last hour
    In the last hour though, i really enjoyed the movie. From the point when the preparations for the voting of the Amendment began, my attention was fully on the movie and I really enjoyed it from that point on.
    Steven Spielberg has his way to tell stories, and this movie proved it, with a unique way of showing the life and character of the President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln during the American Civil War.
    What really amazed me though was the acting of Daniel Day-Lewis, which was simply amazing throughout. I kept thinking how this guy deserved his Oscar award!
    Generally, I did enjoy this movie, but where some points I disliked, but it is definitely one worth watching.
    Detailed rating: 7.9/10.
    Watched on March 15th 2013.
  56. Nov 11, 2012
    they might as well give day-lewis the oscar now. he outdoes even himself here. a truly lived-in character right from the start. and kushner's script is unbelievable. bravo
  57. Nov 18, 2012
    Interesting movie. It prompted me to read Ms. Goodwin's book. There were several actors that I absolutely loved seeing and they all did an amazing job.
  58. Nov 27, 2012
    I'm writing an example review for a school project. Sorry if you read this before I delete it. Well then again I hope metacritic allows me to delete this. Ok bye.
  59. Dec 2, 2012
    I thought that this movie was alright. I watched this movie with multiple history teachers, and they all agreed that there were very few inaccuracies. The assassination wasn't shown, and there was little portrayed outside of the senators bickering over the amendment. I thought that the best work was in Mrs. Lincoln, and her slight insanity.
  60. Nov 26, 2012
    Not so great movie.i really thought it was and awesome movie. turns out it really a shallow movie. but i must commend on the story of Abraham Lincoln. it was nice and appropriate story of putting down the axe and using the words and politics. a lot of better movies out there.
  61. Dec 2, 2012
    This movie was remarkable...Daniel Day Lewis never disappoints, especially this time out...I thought it was actually Abraham Lincoln I was watching in this movie, and not Daniel Day Lewis playing him--It was that good...The cast was remarkable as well...For those of you who have not seen this film, it covers the battle covering the 13th Amendment, which would abolish slavery, the finalThis movie was remarkable...Daniel Day Lewis never disappoints, especially this time out...I thought it was actually Abraham Lincoln I was watching in this movie, and not Daniel Day Lewis playing him--It was that good...The cast was remarkable as well...For those of you who have not seen this film, it covers the battle covering the 13th Amendment, which would abolish slavery, the final months of the Civil War and finishing up with Lincoln's death...Well told story, and would not be surprised to see Daniel Day Lewis, Steven Spielberg and this film to bring in not only a decent number of awards, but possibly winning Best Picture honors for this year. Definitely a must see for not only military and Lincoln historians, but for those who are big Civil War buffs. Expand
  62. Dec 20, 2012
    I braced for a poor historical account with over-direction from Spielberg and over-acting by Daniel Day-Lewis. Spielberg masterfully manages Tony Kushner's dialogue-heavy script in a thrilling way I have not seen since "All the President's Men." Kushner could have been preachy or melodramatic; his script is riveting. Best of all, Daniel Day-Lewis inhabits Lincoln the way Daniel Craig fitsI braced for a poor historical account with over-direction from Spielberg and over-acting by Daniel Day-Lewis. Spielberg masterfully manages Tony Kushner's dialogue-heavy script in a thrilling way I have not seen since "All the President's Men." Kushner could have been preachy or melodramatic; his script is riveting. Best of all, Daniel Day-Lewis inhabits Lincoln the way Daniel Craig fits into a James Bond tux. This film is dazzling - a wonderful theater-going experience. Congrats to everyone involved with this production. Expand
  63. Dec 21, 2012
    This film is a total bore. I had to force myself to sit in my seat for the length of this almost endless movie and left the theater with a pressure on my head. Steven Spielberg just can't handle heavy drama as was proven with "Amistad," "War Horse," and to some degree "Munich.". His pace is so slow in "Lincoln" that it's maddening. Even Daniel Day Lewis can't save this film. I don'tThis film is a total bore. I had to force myself to sit in my seat for the length of this almost endless movie and left the theater with a pressure on my head. Steven Spielberg just can't handle heavy drama as was proven with "Amistad," "War Horse," and to some degree "Munich.". His pace is so slow in "Lincoln" that it's maddening. Even Daniel Day Lewis can't save this film. I don't believe that a docudrama has to be boring and slow in order to be a good one. It's the director's role to make his film come to life even if we know how it ends. This film is truly underwhelming. Tony Kushner's script is overpraised, as well as John Williams unimpressive score. There is so much talent in this film that just doesn't even come close to reaching its full potential. As I left the theater I said to a friend of mine, "If you ever want to torture me, force me to sit through that film again." Expand
  64. Jan 15, 2013
    Daniel Day Lewis is a perfectly cut glittering diamond in this beautifully crafted setting. Spielberg has renewed my trust in him, since this is easily the best film he's made since Saving Private Ryan.
  65. Jan 11, 2013
    I was anxious to see Spielberg's new masterpiece, especially since I heard it was the most nominated film this year (for the Oscars) and was particularly waiting to see what Lewis pulls out of the hat this time, being used to his powerful interpretations. I wouldn't say I wasted 2 and a half hours with it, but definitely wanted more from Lincoln who looked and acted as if he was on hisI was anxious to see Spielberg's new masterpiece, especially since I heard it was the most nominated film this year (for the Oscars) and was particularly waiting to see what Lewis pulls out of the hat this time, being used to his powerful interpretations. I wouldn't say I wasted 2 and a half hours with it, but definitely wanted more from Lincoln who looked and acted as if he was on his dying bed from the beginning. A man of such character and power deserved more. This Lincoln showed remorse more than pride, lacked the passion shared by most around him, almost looking like he was from a completely different picture. Tommy Lee Jones steals the thunder once more, raising the bar with every minute spent on screen. Only 7 of 10 for most likely 'the best motion picture' of the year. Expand
  66. Jan 12, 2013
    slow at most times, but the acting is fantastic and story is thought-provoking. Steven Spielberg really knows what he's doing, and this movie helps to prove it
  67. Jan 13, 2013
    If you want to know and learn how Abraham Lincoln abolished slavery once and for all, see this movie immediately. I seriously do not know why this movie is getting such bad reviews. The only reason I am giving this a nine instead of a ten is because it mainly focused on Lincoln talking back and forth with delegates and such. There was really no "action" involved in the movie. Daniel DayIf you want to know and learn how Abraham Lincoln abolished slavery once and for all, see this movie immediately. I seriously do not know why this movie is getting such bad reviews. The only reason I am giving this a nine instead of a ten is because it mainly focused on Lincoln talking back and forth with delegates and such. There was really no "action" involved in the movie. Daniel Day Lewis and Tommy Lee Jones both did an amazing job in the movie, as I figured they would. I saw one review on here that had a one, and it said "this movie is a total bore", the movie was not a bore. It was both suspenseful, and tense. There were some parts of the movie where I just didn't think things were going to work out. If you want to see a real movie about Lincoln, see this one. I highly recommend it. Expand
  68. Jan 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Biggest missed opportunity: the film's second scene opens with Lincoln sitting atop some boxes in a railway station amid some black soldiers. Instead of Lincoln asking them about theirselves, they demonstrates their reverence for the President by citing the Gettysburg Address. Two or three black soldiers do this. Lincoln learns nothing and we learn nothing. The film as a whole was watchable but just once. Or if there's nothing better on. Maybe I;ll find it more compelling after seeing it again. Right now I rate it a miss. Amistad was way better it every way: better story, more informative, more suspenseful, more uplifting, Expand
  69. Feb 2, 2013
    When you leave cinema after seeing this film you will be inspired by it. Yes it's that good. Now you probably want me to explain that. Firstly "Lincoln" was directed by Steven Spielberg. Whit that said you know what to expect, and he's not the only great name among the cast. It features Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln, Tommy Lee Jones, Joseph Gordon-Levitt James Spader, and many more. TheWhen you leave cinema after seeing this film you will be inspired by it. Yes it's that good. Now you probably want me to explain that. Firstly "Lincoln" was directed by Steven Spielberg. Whit that said you know what to expect, and he's not the only great name among the cast. It features Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln, Tommy Lee Jones, Joseph Gordon-Levitt James Spader, and many more. The list is just full of experts. Script is well written, acting is top notch, and every scene fits perfectly. I especially love speeches in this movie. They are well written and define personalities of characters. The thing i loved the most is Lincoln himself. In this film he's shown as a real person with problems and emotions, and they did tat brilliantly. Some people think that "Lincoln" is too slow. And maybe some scenes are dragged out a little, but they should be. Every word and shot in this film matters. It defines characters and it's important for plot. It's a political movie so some people might be bored. You'll need too bi in the mood for watching this film. With all that sad I cant find single objective fault, well i think i saw a bald cap on Tommy Lee Jones in one scene but i'm not even shore. If you like history, drama, politics or fun you will like "Lincoln" Expand
  70. Apr 6, 2013
    Yawn!! I can certainly appreciate the artistic talents of the writers and the actors, but when I go to see a movie, I want to be entertained. If I wanted to learn the intricate details of how Lincoln was able to pass the 13th amendment, then I'd watch a documentary. This movie stretched on for two and a half hours of mostly boring dialog. Yeah, I can appreciate the acting, but this wasYawn!! I can certainly appreciate the artistic talents of the writers and the actors, but when I go to see a movie, I want to be entertained. If I wanted to learn the intricate details of how Lincoln was able to pass the 13th amendment, then I'd watch a documentary. This movie stretched on for two and a half hours of mostly boring dialog. Yeah, I can appreciate the acting, but this was not what I was expecting. Very disappointing. Expand
  71. Jun 23, 2013
    I am not an American and don't now much about their history. This was a huge disappointment. Tedious and long winding. If you don't care for the intricacies of politics, don't waste your time.
  72. Jan 18, 2015
    Not being American and familiar with the story I found this incomprehensible. It does not even seem to be a particularly momentus time in history. Its not as if the Americans were the first to ban slavery !!

1. Reviewed by: Kate Stables
    Jan 11, 2013
    Steeped in the bitter political divisions of the Civil War, Spielberg's thrilling film about hardwon freedoms is immersed in its own time, but speaks eloquently to ours.
  2. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Jan 10, 2013
    As unexpected as it is intelligent, thanks to virtuoso work from Spielberg and Kushner, Lincoln is landmark filmmaking, while Day-Lewis is so authentic he pulls off that stovepipe.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Jan 1, 2013
    Lincoln does sometimes get a little sappy around the edges. Though his project here is clearly one of conscious self-restraint, Spielberg can't resist the occasional opportunity for patriotic tear-jerking, usually signaled by a swell of John Williams' symphonic score. But in between, there are long stretches that are as quiet, contemplative, and austere as anything Spielberg has ever done.