7.5

1. Nov 17, 2012
    Steven Spielberg's movie made a huge impression in theators. With a blazing $85,846. The movie has such a great cast. This is what a biography film should be like.
  2. CBN
    Nov 21, 2012
    Day-Lewis proves once again he is the best actor of his generation. Spielberg's touch and mastery are all over the film, yet a bit hard to follow at time with the onslaught of new characters and dialogue. Overall, a wonderful movie experience.
  3. Nov 28, 2012
    Honestly one of the best movies I have seen in a long time! Spielberg did a wonderful job on this piece. The acting and the costumes to the filming locations were perfect. The chemistry between Daniel Day Lewis and Sally Fields was epic. A must see!!
  4. Dec 20, 2012
    I braced for a poor historical account with over-direction from Spielberg and over-acting by Daniel Day-Lewis. Spielberg masterfully manages Tony Kushner's dialogue-heavy script in a thrilling way I have not seen since "All the President's Men." Kushner could have been preachy or melodramatic; his script is riveting. Best of all, Daniel Day-Lewis inhabits Lincoln the way Daniel Craig fitsI braced for a poor historical account with over-direction from Spielberg and over-acting by Daniel Day-Lewis. Spielberg masterfully manages Tony Kushner's dialogue-heavy script in a thrilling way I have not seen since "All the President's Men." Kushner could have been preachy or melodramatic; his script is riveting. Best of all, Daniel Day-Lewis inhabits Lincoln the way Daniel Craig fits into a James Bond tux. This film is dazzling - a wonderful theater-going experience. Congrats to everyone involved with this production. Expand
  5. Jan 15, 2013
    Daniel Day Lewis is a perfectly cut glittering diamond in this beautifully crafted setting. Spielberg has renewed my trust in him, since this is easily the best film he's made since Saving Private Ryan.
  6. Jan 3, 2013
    I like the movie. Maybe, because I am too spoiled with action movies, this one seems slow, almost like a reading book. I found the structure to be interesting, - arguments over a passing 13 amendment has almost took entire movie, building the culmination bust in the end. The characters were deep and passionate. Overall good movie.
  7. Jan 10, 2013
    Very, very well made, and great acting. Great movie. At some times, can seem melodramatic, but all in all, it's a great film. Daniel Day Lewis delivers Lincoln expertly.
  8. Jan 24, 2013
    On some level I can relate to comments about the slow pace of the movie, especially in the beginning. I agree that the pace was slower than I expected, but it was not too slow. It was perhaps the appropriate pace to gather in the facets that were needed to relate the urgency and polarization of that time. There are plenty of scenes to make the blood race, not because of battles or otherOn some level I can relate to comments about the slow pace of the movie, especially in the beginning. I agree that the pace was slower than I expected, but it was not too slow. It was perhaps the appropriate pace to gather in the facets that were needed to relate the urgency and polarization of that time. There are plenty of scenes to make the blood race, not because of battles or other action sequences, but because of the opposing views that were being spewed out with such venom. To see a president in the midst of such turmoil, apart from the battlefields of which we have all seen and read plenty of documentaries and dramatizations, was riveting. On this side of the historical time line, we can look back, knowing that the 13th Amendment was passed. Yet this movie was able to take me to a place where I experienced how impossible it seemed then, and to experience the relief, even more than triumph, that the feat was accomplished. The film's deft script and inspired acting showed what a delicate tightrope the President had to walk to make this happen and how very close it came to failing. Then the war would have ended, and the states remain united, but the slavery issue would have remained unresolved.
    That Daniel Day-Lewis took the time needed to wait on the "voice" of Lincoln to grow within him and come forth from him with such an impact of authenticity is one of the things that moved and impressed me the most about LINCOLN. David Strathaim and Sally Field also gave powerful and eloquent performances, as well as several others, but my favorite supporting actor was Tommy Lee Jones. His Thaddeus Stevens lumbered about with a pronounced limp from a childhood bout with polio, providing a much needed counter-point to the congressional members who venomously opposed the passing of the 13th Amendment. Their loud, jeering racial put-downs sound shocking today but are revealed to have been perceived as reasonable and accepted to many in the North at that time. Jones' delivery of Stevens' rejoinders helped to balance out the harshness of the prejudices of that time, giving us some space to laugh with him at their narrow-minded stupidity. At the same time it is sobering to think Stevens" views would have been considered the radical ones to many of that day.
    I highly recommend this film as an opportunity to connect with a moment in history and experience the people and happenings of that time come to life. I have not seen a film that has done this better.
  9. Jan 24, 2013
    Lincoln is an extraordinary picture that takes us into the world of politics as we have never seen it before, and Spielberg shows that he still is one of the greatest directors in the history of cinema, and that Daniel Day-Lewis is one of the finest actors of all-time. Steven Spielberg has always been my favorite director, his films such as Schindler's List and E.T. The Extra-TerrestrialLincoln is an extraordinary picture that takes us into the world of politics as we have never seen it before, and Spielberg shows that he still is one of the greatest directors in the history of cinema, and that Daniel Day-Lewis is one of the finest actors of all-time. Steven Spielberg has always been my favorite director, his films such as Schindler's List and E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial are one of the main reasons that I fell in love with movies in the first place. He has been planning to make this movie for a very long time, and now that it Expand
  10. Feb 2, 2013
    When you leave cinema after seeing this film you will be inspired by it. Yes it's that good. Now you probably want me to explain that. Firstly "Lincoln" was directed by Steven Spielberg. Whit that said you know what to expect, and he's not the only great name among the cast. It features Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln, Tommy Lee Jones, Joseph Gordon-Levitt James Spader, and many more. TheWhen you leave cinema after seeing this film you will be inspired by it. Yes it's that good. Now you probably want me to explain that. Firstly "Lincoln" was directed by Steven Spielberg. Whit that said you know what to expect, and he's not the only great name among the cast. It features Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln, Tommy Lee Jones, Joseph Gordon-Levitt James Spader, and many more. The list is just full of experts. Script is well written, acting is top notch, and every scene fits perfectly. I especially love speeches in this movie. They are well written and define personalities of characters. The thing i loved the most is Lincoln himself. In this film he's shown as a real person with problems and emotions, and they did tat brilliantly. Some people think that "Lincoln" is too slow. And maybe some scenes are dragged out a little, but they should be. Every word and shot in this film matters. It defines characters and it's important for plot. It's a political movie so some people might be bored. You'll need too bi in the mood for watching this film. With all that sad I cant find single objective fault, well i think i saw a bald cap on Tommy Lee Jones in one scene but i'm not even shore. If you like history, drama, politics or fun you will like "Lincoln" Expand
  11. Apr 11, 2014
    Director/producer Steven Steilberg has great movies made everyday . his project on Lincoln is okay i guess
    History is okay but its gets me tired . Stielbergs films are great but this one way 60 % enjoyable . Grade B
  12. Nov 20, 2012
    The ingenuity of the script in impeccable. Never has a film payed such careful attention to the details of politics. Yet even through all the detail, and all the material covered, Speilberg's Lincoln is compulsively watchable. The result is a great American movie.
  13. Nov 27, 2012
    If you look at many of the good reviews, you will see the problem, in my mind, with this movie. It is a bit too slow, too monotone, and simply too stuffy. There could have been so much more color and life. I think we should have seen different perspectives, such as from the angle of a simple working person and from the angle of the south. The movie leaves out Lincoln's great speeches,If you look at many of the good reviews, you will see the problem, in my mind, with this movie. It is a bit too slow, too monotone, and simply too stuffy. There could have been so much more color and life. I think we should have seen different perspectives, such as from the angle of a simple working person and from the angle of the south. The movie leaves out Lincoln's great speeches, making only brief references. The movie leaves out the assassination, and what we know about who did it and why. The real death blow to the movie, for me, was the lack of vigor in why and what they were fighting for. After all, huge numbers of americans died. So, for me the movie was a dud. I think a lot of people are caught up in the moment. By the way, the supporting acting was GREAT, and I would give an award to Sally Fields. Expand
  14. Nov 22, 2012
    If you want a constant reminder of how Spielberg voted in the last election, then watch this movie. Otherwise, read a solid biography on Lincoln. Spielberg's movie making is about as subtle as a five year-old screaming for candy in your ear. Most of the movie feels wooden and plastic, if that is even possible. On the up side, it is a movie about Lincoln, so there is a fair amount ofIf you want a constant reminder of how Spielberg voted in the last election, then watch this movie. Otherwise, read a solid biography on Lincoln. Spielberg's movie making is about as subtle as a five year-old screaming for candy in your ear. Most of the movie feels wooden and plastic, if that is even possible. On the up side, it is a movie about Lincoln, so there is a fair amount of feel-good American jingoism. Expand
  15. Nov 23, 2012
    In this movie Spielberg does to history what John Wilkes Booth did to Lincoln. Everyone knows how Spielberg voted, but just in case you were wondering, see this film. Slow and plodding at best, and for those who like history, it is a train wreck. DDL does a great performance, but Spielberg's politically motivated style kills what could have been a good film, and does a great disserviceIn this movie Spielberg does to history what John Wilkes Booth did to Lincoln. Everyone knows how Spielberg voted, but just in case you were wondering, see this film. Slow and plodding at best, and for those who like history, it is a train wreck. DDL does a great performance, but Spielberg's politically motivated style kills what could have been a good film, and does a great disservice to a great man. While they got DDL spot on casting wise for Lincoln, did the casting people ever look at a picture of Mary Todd Lincoln? Pass this movie by and take the time to read a good book on Lincoln, you will be better off. Saying this movie is based on historical events is like saying Twilight is a documentary. Expand
  16. Jan 14, 2013
    I am very surprised to see such praise for this film.It is not only too long,but its turgid pace which drags relentlessly make it it appear even longer.Spielberg appears to have thrown away the magic template.
  17. Jan 15, 2013
    I have to say this was an incredibly dull movie. If you're not american, you'll be scratching your head in bafflement about why there was a need to create a whole movie about a bunch of senators trying to wrangle votes for a bill. The sort of stuff you'd avoid on TV nowadays even if you're interested in politics.

From the very first few moments of this banal platitude of a

From the very first few moments of this banal platitude of a snoozefest, Lincoln is portrayed as some sort of angelic benevolent grandfather who can do no wrong. A bunch of soldiers appear at the base of his pedestal where he is bathed in a glorifying halo and recite verbatim a speech that he gave at some pivotal historical moment. The awe and respect from the soldiers is painful, one dimensional and almost insulting.

So the tone is set. Lincoln is a hero from the outset, a glorified angel, a beatific beaming wise one. Where was the man? The depressed, racist, that is the reality of who he was? There's not a glimpse of it here.

Add to that, the non stop speaking. It's incessant dialogue and not very good dialogue at that. Just because someone speaks fast doesn't make it clever or interesting or persuasive. I can't figure out why Day - Lewis would be involved in this turd. Is he desperate for an Oscar? Because everyone in this movie telegraphed from afar 'Watch this, this is my Oscar moment' I nearly gagged at Sally Field's first scene where she emoted sentimentally claiming she understood the significance of a dream claiming it was to do with a senate bill. She nearly wept. I have to say the cinematography wasn't very interesting either and the lighting was poor at some moments especially outdoor scenes where it was especially weak. And the hackneyed battle scene at the start? Forget about it, I wish I could unsee it.

Turgid, Turgid, Turgid, avoid, avoid, avoid!
  18. Jan 20, 2013
    Lincoln is unquestionably one of Hollywood's top three films of 2013; Spielberg's direction and Day-Lewis' performance are more than just noteworthy. This is an effective and fairly displayed period piece that can only be criticized for it accurate display of a slower time and its artistry prevents any other negative honesty.
  19. Jun 23, 2013
    I am not an American and don't now much about their history. This was a huge disappointment. Tedious and long winding. If you don't care for the intricacies of politics, don't waste your time.
  20. Nov 16, 2012
    Daniel Day-Lewis IS Abraham Lincoln in Steven Spielberg
  21. Dec 5, 2012
    Too political and too talkative! Stellar performances elevate this film and make it appear much better than it is. It's typical Spielberg......history as he wants us to remember it.....all the characters are literally black or white. Even the "lobbyists" are good despite devious methods used because they're on the right side. Smacks of Spielberg's earlier work Amistad where he didn'tToo political and too talkative! Stellar performances elevate this film and make it appear much better than it is. It's typical Spielberg......history as he wants us to remember it.....all the characters are literally black or white. Even the "lobbyists" are good despite devious methods used because they're on the right side. Smacks of Spielberg's earlier work Amistad where he didn't acknowledge that slavery began with people being captured and sold by members of their own race. The only real moments of connection are made in scenes with Sally Field and Lincoln's interactions with his older son. The opening scene gives us a compass as to where we're headed....these "real" soldiers can remember the Gettysburg address word for word after hearing it once? reading it where? having time to memorize it when? Even those of us who were around in the Kennedy years are forturnate to remember one, maybe two lines of a famous speech. Spielberg needs to leave history alone if he's not really interested in giving us the true picture. Expand
  22. Jan 9, 2013
    Lincoln is deprived of emotion, comedy, action and music that makes a film come alive. Even with a interesting time in our history the movie is a total bore with a pace unimaginably slow. It tries to come alive in the end but with a rushed ending the movie falls apart. A disgraceful film by Spielberg.
  23. Jan 9, 2013
    No academy award winning directors or actors could save this tediously long debacle of a film. This movie seemed longer than the Civil War. It is neither engaging, entertaining, or thought provoking. Completely overrated.
  24. Mar 15, 2013
    There is no way this movie did not win 'Best Picture' at the Academy awards. Truly fascinating It kept me glued to the screen. Congratulations to everyone involved here to make such a masterpiece. Daniel Day Lewis is truly an exceptional actor.
  25. Apr 1, 2013
    I love movies, that, make you think and get you sucked into that world. This movie had none of that.
    I found this movie, extermely boring. So much pointless talking, all they do is talk. total bore of a movie.
  26. Apr 23, 2013
    This is Steven Spielberg's worst movie. It is boring, it has no action, it has no suspense, it has no story, it really has nothing. It was just one VERY long story of Lincoln's last few months, which are not very exciting at all. A History Channel documentary on Lincoln would have been 10 times better. Trust me, halfway through this movie, you will want to see Lincoln assassinated.
  27. Nov 26, 2012
    Not so great movie.i really thought it was and awesome movie. turns out it really a shallow movie. but i must commend on the story of Abraham Lincoln. it was nice and appropriate story of putting down the axe and using the words and politics. a lot of better movies out there.
  28. Dec 21, 2012
    This film is a total bore. I had to force myself to sit in my seat for the length of this almost endless movie and left the theater with a pressure on my head. Steven Spielberg just can't handle heavy drama as was proven with "Amistad," "War Horse," and to some degree "Munich.". His pace is so slow in "Lincoln" that it's maddening. Even Daniel Day Lewis can't save this film. I don'tThis film is a total bore. I had to force myself to sit in my seat for the length of this almost endless movie and left the theater with a pressure on my head. Steven Spielberg just can't handle heavy drama as was proven with "Amistad," "War Horse," and to some degree "Munich.". His pace is so slow in "Lincoln" that it's maddening. Even Daniel Day Lewis can't save this film. I don't believe that a docudrama has to be boring and slow in order to be a good one. It's the director's role to make his film come to life even if we know how it ends. This film is truly underwhelming. Tony Kushner's script is overpraised, as well as John Williams unimpressive score. There is so much talent in this film that just doesn't even come close to reaching its full potential. As I left the theater I said to a friend of mine, "If you ever want to torture me, force me to sit through that film again." Expand
  29. Feb 16, 2013
    If there was ever a movie that WASN'T what it said on the tin, this is it. It kicks off with yer man from My Left Foot, here with a funny hat and beard for whatever reason, sitting about drinking tea and telling stories. This goes on for quite a bit. Dunno what he was saying. I don't think the other characters were even listening. Half an hour in and still no sign of the vampires, so IIf there was ever a movie that WASN'T what it said on the tin, this is it. It kicks off with yer man from My Left Foot, here with a funny hat and beard for whatever reason, sitting about drinking tea and telling stories. This goes on for quite a bit. Dunno what he was saying. I don't think the other characters were even listening. Half an hour in and still no sign of the vampires, so I fast forwarded a bit (don't ask me how I did this in the cinema). Watched another scene. Tommy Lee Jones out of off of US Marshals pops up with a silly wig. Still no action. Fast forwarded again and the end credits were rolling. Maybe I skipped past the vampire scenes. And this is supposed to win Oscars? Pfft... Expand
  30. Apr 2, 2013
    Daniel Day-Lewis does a fantastic mjob undeniably. However, I was bored with the repetition of dialogue, the length of the film, and the consistent dark lighting. It is great on performance and technical level for the most part but when it comes to other thing sit is far from good. I give this film 48%. Spieberg disappoints two years in a row for me.

1. Reviewed by: Kate Stables
    Jan 11, 2013
    Steeped in the bitter political divisions of the Civil War, Spielberg's thrilling film about hardwon freedoms is immersed in its own time, but speaks eloquently to ours.
  2. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Jan 10, 2013
    As unexpected as it is intelligent, thanks to virtuoso work from Spielberg and Kushner, Lincoln is landmark filmmaking, while Day-Lewis is so authentic he pulls off that stovepipe.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Jan 1, 2013
    Lincoln does sometimes get a little sappy around the edges. Though his project here is clearly one of conscious self-restraint, Spielberg can't resist the occasional opportunity for patriotic tear-jerking, usually signaled by a swell of John Williams' symphonic score. But in between, there are long stretches that are as quiet, contemplative, and austere as anything Spielberg has ever done.